FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#370380 - 11/18/07 01:31 PM Re: Boy dies from one hit [Re: Ed_Morris]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
The only time wristtwister was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistake.

#370381 - 11/18/07 02:03 PM Re: Boy dies from one hit [Re: BrianS]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
Well, Brian,
if you'd bothered to follow the discussion Ed and I have had over the past year or so, you'd know that Ed's contention was that a strike to the chest wasn't a repeateable skill that could cause the heart to stop. He's argued every theory outside of actually analyzing the information and making a determination of whether or not striking a DM point could actually cause commotio cordis with any repeatable certainty.

Quote:

The only time wristtwister was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistake.

It's brilliant insights like that which make me realize I was wrong in thinking certain people might actually have some sense. It's an error on my part.

#370382 - 11/18/07 02:54 PM Re: Boy dies from one hit [Re: wristtwister]
underdog Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mansfield, MA U.S.A.
One explanation from kata of the 1 (pause) 1-2 punches to the CV 17 point might be to increase the probability of hitting the point on the T-wave, thereby increasing the chances of cardiac arrest.

#370383 - 11/18/07 05:29 PM Re: Boy dies from one hit [Re: underdog]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Lies, lies and damn statistics...

#370384 - 11/18/07 05:54 PM Re: Boy dies from one hit [Re: eyrie]
Aeras Offline

Loc: Colorado
Easy solution...somebody write mythbusters.

#370385 - 11/18/07 05:59 PM Re: Boy dies from one hit [Re: wristtwister]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

It's simple physics and geometry.

exactly. striking with sufficient impact, with an approximate but appropriate angle to an approximate but appropriate area, is wielding physics...the rest is left largely to chance in a chaotic moment.

The biggest problem with trying to compare an accidental baseball in the chest death to intentional dim mak, is the timing. There is no way someone can time a strike with a 200 millisecond tolerance. and thats what the study of this phenomenon says...the most critical thing about the whole phenomenon is the system being hit within a certain span of it's cycle. have a nother look at it...the link is floating around somewhere here or the other thread.

There is no way a pitcher could do that on purpose, so it's called a tragic accident. whether from a pitcher's mound or from grappling range, there is no way to know that critical window of cycle. therefore, it is left to chance.

Can you actually time strikes to capitolize on the bodily cycles of your opponent? I've heard of taking advantage of breathing cycles when you talk to boxers....but heartbeat and cardiac signaling? sorry, that goes too far 'out there' for me to buy into.

#370386 - 11/18/07 10:15 PM Re: Boy dies from one hit [Re: Ed_Morris]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
Quote:

striking with sufficient impact, with an approximate but appropriate angle to an approximate but appropriate area

How about striking to an exact location at an exact angle? That's how DM trains... Since you obviously don't train in DM, it's pretty heady to completely discount the training without knowing anything about it. The 12 DM katas are designed to get you to the "right place" to make that particular angular strike on a specific point, but you wouldn't know that... only that you don't have an explanation for the results, so it can't work.

Quote:

There is no way a pitcher could do that on purpose,

Another assumption on your part... what about "throwing at the batter?" I played ball most of my life, and that happened all the time. Was the pitcher trying to kill the batter... probably not, but you seem to have more information than anyone else about that, so how do you read the motives of a baseball pitcher?

Quote:

Can you actually time strikes to capitolize on the bodily cycles of your opponent?

The hitting points are designed on the "waxing and waning of chi", so the short answer is "yes". The meridians are operative on 2 hour cycles, and can be activated by striking other special points in the body to make them active... but since you don't believe in any of this, why bother with the detailed explanation? All you need to do to learn a lot is to read some acupuncture books and learn something about meridian theory... but, of course, you'd rather rail on the "can't" side of things than actually do some study and find out the answers for yourself.

#370387 - 11/18/07 11:24 PM Re: Boy dies from one hit [Re: wristtwister]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

again, the argument is not meant to be taken personally. I assume you strike hard and where it hurts - I'm not denying you that assumption.

first, I noticed a typo on my part - the window someone would have to hit within was found to be 20 milliseconds (not 200). The impact has to happen within this window prior to the T-wave peak.

How do you detect a T-wave peak by looking at someone? no known method I'm aware of - I assume the way the researchers detect it is with hooking up an electrocardiogram.

let's say you can sense someone's biorythms as accurate as an EKG. Human reaction times are in the range of 200 milliseconds. (not to mention adjustment for the time it takes to strike). Thats a magnitude slower than the T-wave window.
I can see what those numbers mean in my head...and I picture it as even more remote than someone being able to repeatably target punch 1 particular blade on an occilating fan set on hi speed. of course sometimes they will hit it by the laws of probability.

I don't think it's a pessimistic view. I can't see any theoretical or practical basis for making a connection between the commotio cordis / baseball to chest phenomenon to Dim Mak or any other striking method - other than the similarities in probability.

#370388 - 11/19/07 02:39 PM Re: Boy dies from one hit [Re: Ed_Morris]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
Ed

Another way to look at it would be to compare the # of children to the # of adults that die each year under similer circumstance.

It could go both ways there---adults my not be as prone to such sudden deaths as children--presumably their hearts are stonger or they just have more fat protecting them....at least I do.

On the other hand they have a greater risk of having some kind of heart damage already--weakened hearts, prior injure, clogged arteries, etc. So it might get a "false" reading.

Not sure what the stats on adults would tell us---but it would probably be interesting.

#370389 - 11/19/07 04:36 PM Re: Boy dies from one hit [Re: cxt]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

how many adults do you know that play little league?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga