FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 62 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 10 of 16 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
#370245 - 07/03/08 12:28 AM Re: Brian's Judo log [Re: Zach_Zinn]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
I was doing judo twice a week and karate only 2-4 times a month.

My right knee popped during randori one night a couple of weeks before the tournament. It's still not right either.

I think if you want to take up judo then go for it, but to me the injury risk just doesn't appeal to my joints anymore.

#370246 - 07/03/08 10:59 AM Re: Brian's Judo log [Re: BrianS]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

My right knee popped during randori one night a couple of weeks before the tournament. It's still not right either.

I think if you want to take up judo then go for it, but to me the injury risk just doesn't appeal to my joints anymore.

I hear weight training can help to strengthen the muscles and even indeed the ligaments found in the joints. Sort of a preventive measure for people who practice wrestling or judo. If training is done early and progressive enough I suppose people can still practice judo well in their 50'/ 60's years of age as in some of the masters competitions.

I suppose if they dont (Unlike the most judo ka) then injury can stop training. Anyhow good luck with your new training regime. I have just done my workout in judo. Worked on kataguruma. I believe its also in karate kata. MMA's sometimes use judo throws or even just throws found in karate kata I believe?

Jude

#370247 - 07/03/08 11:55 AM Re: Brian's Judo log [Re: jude33]
bo-ken Offline
Veteran

Loc: beaver falls, PA, beaver
Brian I don't know if this is right place to ask but are you joining a new Karate school? I know your old school is a far drive for you. Just let me know what your plans are. Heck maybe you should open a school.

#370248 - 07/03/08 06:05 PM Re: Brian's Judo log [Re: jude33]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

jude33,

You sound like a moron everytime you post and you have such a suttle way of being a [censored].

Quote:

I hear weight training can help to strengthen the muscles and even indeed the ligaments found in the joints. Sort of a preventive measure for people who practice wrestling or judo. If training is done early and progressive enough I suppose people can still practice judo well in their 50'/ 60's years of age as in some of the masters competitions.

What a stupid assupmtion to make that I was injured because my muscles aren't strong enough. You kill me.

Quote:

I suppose if they dont (Unlike the most judo ka) then injury can stop training. Anyhow good luck with your new training regime. I have just done my workout in judo. Worked on kataguruma. I believe its also in karate kata. MMA's sometimes use judo throws or even just throws found in karate kata I believe?

Dude, you don't train in anything. You just dabble in krotty you see posted on youtube. Karate doesn't have everything from every art. If you ever actually attended karate class for a length of time you would know this, arrogant and ignorant non-training wannabe.

p.s. You're fat.

#370249 - 07/03/08 06:07 PM Re: Brian's Judo log [Re: bo-ken]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Quote:

Brian I don't know if this is right place to ask but are you joining a new Karate school? I know your old school is a far drive for you. Just let me know what your plans are. Heck maybe you should open a school.

Nope. I haven't found a karate school around here I'm impressed with.

I have thought about looking into teaching up here. I have a little healing time to think things over and decide. Thanks for asking!

#370250 - 07/03/08 07:29 PM Re: Brian's Judo log [Re: jude33]
Zach_Zinn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Olympia, WA
Quote:

Quote:

Jude

Lol yeah, because people just get injured in Judo due to not having strong ligaments.

BTW, ligaments aren't "in joints", ligaments are also notoriously slow to heal once sprained, and in fact with severe sprains they typically never return fully back to their original condition, making re-injury likely not matter what kind of weight training you do.

I don't know where you come up with this stuiff, but man I wish you would just leave.

Brian:

On the subject of opening your own place though, that's the only reason I did it, no other Karate in town I was interested in once my first instructor retired.

It has it's ups and downs, so far my biggest problem is getting consistent attendance and such.

Edited by Zach_Zinn (07/03/08 07:43 PM)

#370251 - 07/03/08 08:46 PM Re: Brian's Judo log [Re: Zach_Zinn]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Zach,

My idea od opening up my own place would be small and informal. We would probably use a facility if we could,but I wouldn't mind using a public park either.

#370252 - 07/03/08 09:03 PM Re: Brian's Judo log [Re: BrianS]
Zach_Zinn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Olympia, WA
Yeah, that's exactly the setup I have, very informal, i'm not hugely skilled or high ranked, so i just treat it as a place where we get together to train, I just make the plans and try to bring whatever I can to the table.

I was at the YMCA for about a year before finding a cheap place to rent, it's been fine until recently, where attendance is dropping off.

I've been told that's natural this time of year, but it's still discouraging.

Thing is that once you get down to few enough students it makes you feel like you might as well just do it in your backyard and save the rent money..hmmm.

#370253 - 07/03/08 09:29 PM Re: Brian's Judo log [Re: Zach_Zinn]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

few questions for you if you don't mind. How many students do you have? Do you have anyone helping you teach? Are you following a set curriculum?
I'm certainly not very talented or highly ranked either,but I do feel I have something to offer. People might get more of what they want down the road though,lol.

#370254 - 07/04/08 04:48 PM Re: Brian's Judo log [Re: BrianS]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

Thanks! Don't think of me as a quitter. I just don't think it's worth it to learn a sport. Next!!

Man I am in the exact same place at the moment with the BJJ!

I am moving from the city to back home, so no more BJJ for me. I would've left it anyway I think had I not been moving home anyway. It just wasn't worth it. There are safer ways for me to keep active.

Goes without saying it matters not one jot what anyone else thinks of you. The world is illusion, as Miyamoto Musashi once said.

Besides all of which, you'd have to be some kind of idiot to suggest someone who studied karate for 17+ years is a "quitter"

Page 10 of 16 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 16 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga