FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 10
trevek 6
JKogas 5
cxt 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:17 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432446 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 11 of 14 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#370033 - 06/04/08 10:35 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: Xibalba]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Last night's class was a review of this material:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...page=0&vc=1

We were also shown another armbar variation. This involves posting a hand on the collarbone of the opponent, then pulling his arm across the body with your other hand. Once the arm is across the body, you slide a knee up under his shoulder (back side) so he can't bring the arm back down. You can either pull his arm up, and slide other other foot under his arm (front side) to set up the armbar, or you can pin his arm to the floor, and set up the armbar that way.

Tried the side control escape and the armbar escape from this thread :

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...a1#Post16002586

Neither one worked for me.

I wasn't able to turn my arm over in the armbar escape, so I got about halfway around to my stomach and had to tap. Wasn't sure what I was doing wrong with the side-control escape, but simply couldn't move the guy's head far enough away to get my leg over.

Rolled with another guy who attempted a cross-collar choke. No problem, as I tucked my chin down tightly, there was no chance of the choke. He simply pulled the choke across my face so hard, I thought my jaw was going to break, and had to tap anyway.

Never had anyone even come close to breaking my jaw before from that! It is still sore today. That guy is gorilla strong.

#370034 - 06/04/08 01:54 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Is that guy the same weight?

I know it sucks rolling with people who outweigh me by so much. Makes me better though!

#370035 - 06/04/08 02:08 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: BrianS]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

The jawbreaker is probably about 20-25 lbs (11.5 kg) heavier than me. Very muscular.

#370036 - 06/04/08 02:12 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Yes, but is he taller? sorry....

Just keep at it and try to keep the injuries to a minimum.

#370037 - 06/04/08 02:30 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: BrianS]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Quote:

Yes, but is he taller? sorry....

#370038 - 06/11/08 10:42 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Last night's class started with the Back sweep. This is a good one to use if the opponent stands up out of your guard. As the opponent stand up, maintain a tight guard until he drags you underneath him. Hook the back of his ankles with your hands as you release your legs, dropping your shoulders to the ground as you bring your knees together. Your legs should now be resting on top of his thighs, near his hips. Now, pull on his ankles as you thrust your feet forward and then down. The opponent should go right over. For those that have seen my tournament video, this was the sweep that I did there, FWIW.

Ideally, you should release your grip as the opponent is falling, and follow him over, ending up in mount. I have a hard time with that still.

Next was the Front sweep. This is for when the opponent stands up, but leans over you trying to pin or stack. After getting a grip on his elbows, release your guard and put your feet on his hips, and start to stretch him out. Many times, the opponent's reaction will be to push in and re-establish the stack or pin. As he comes forward, pull him forward and down as you elevate his hips, getting his feet off the ground. Now (having already isolated his elbows to make it difficult for him to post out), roll back over one of your shoulders, ending in mount. The key is to roll tightly, not kicking the opponent off you. If there is any space during the roll, the opponent will be able to escape the mount.

Last was the cross-lapel choke from mount. Mount is actually not one of my favorite positions to work submissions from, as it is hard to stay balanced when doing them. The choke works by taking one hand across the opponent's body, to the opposite side lapel (ex: your left hand to opponent's left lapel). The hand grabs palm up. Your other hand goes on the same side, behind his head, grabbing his collar with your thunb in, palm down. Now quickly loop your elbow to the opposite side, going behind his head, ending with your arms crossed in front of his neck. Lean your head down, while pulling your arms to your chest to complete the choke.

My instructor gave us a good tip about using our knee to load one side of the opponent's chest when leaning over to set up the choke. It did make it more difficult to escape from underneath when the top guy did that. It also help with balance, since you can come up on the ball of the foot as you lay your knee against the opponent's chest. This allows you to post out on that foot, in case the opponent tries to sweep you to that side.

He also gave us a good tip about "curling" your arm (to drive your elbow in the opponent's chest), when doing lapel chokes. Very uncomfortable for the guy on the bottom. It does help raise the opponent's head, to facilitate going for the back of his gi.

Did OK with the active drills, focusing on standing guard passes this time.

Rolled with one of the other white belts, where I was "Johnny Foul" (unintentional, LOL) for the first match. Got an OK double leg takedown on him right away, but ended up in his guard. I immediately postured up, sitting back, and went to combat base (one knee up, between his legs). Except I ended up catching him in the sack as I brought my knee up. DOH! After profuse apologies on my part, we resumed the match. I was later able to catch him in what I thought was a guillotine, while in his half-guard. Turns out it was more like a neck-crank, and he was a bit stiff and sore from that.

We also had some od the more experienced guys in class coaching us, which was pretty cool. I sometimes will get dominant positions, and then blank out, not knowing what to do next. So, it was helpful to have someone yelling "UNDERHOOK! PULL HIS HEAD DOWN!" Etc. We did a lot of reversals on each other, LOL. Fun stuff. Felt almost like being in a cagematch.

#370039 - 06/18/08 10:49 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Last night's class was a review of this material:

We also worked a mount to back drill, letting the opponent turn under you in progressive stages, catching him in S-mount, then taking his back as he turned. We then did an active drill keeping the back mount. After getting an over/under grip with the hands, the opponent attempts to roll and dislodge you. Very draining for the person doing the rolls! As the person on the back, sometimes you have to anticipate which way the opponent will roll, sometimes you can force them one way or the other. I crashed my neck pretty good when I turned my head the wrong way as my partner attempted to roll me off. OUCH. Luckily, no damage done, and I feel OK today.

Tried the side control escape (again) from this thread :

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...a1#Post16002586

Still didn't work for me. Must be missing something with it, but not sure what. I did successfully work underhooks with my partner, who usually crushes and taps me out quickly from side-control. Almost worked the Gracie roll-to-back-mount from north/south position. Scared the top guy enough that I was able to get a sweep and take top position myself.

Was able to get a real nice upa against one of the blue belts, and rolled out of an RNC/bodylock combo that he tried.

Got several compliments on my defense, so that was nice. Still need to work my subs and offensive attempts a lot more, though. Good class overall - and I almost didn't go because my stomach was not in agreement at all.

#370040 - 06/25/08 09:50 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Last night's class was review of this material:

Class ran over somewhat, so it cut into free-rolling time a bit. I did get a chance to roll with one of the blue-belts. Worked my takedown defense better than I have been, making him take about a full minute to get me down. He normally is able to take me to the ground very quickly. I nearly caught him in a kimura, but he kept me from locking my lower body enough to finish it. I was actually able to pull off the "Renzo sweep" (what others may know as an "alligator roll") from bottom north/south position. It worked well, although I ended up getting caught in a triangle anyway.

Also rolled one of the heavyweight white belts. Ex-wrestler who outweighs me by about 100 pounds, he pwned me pretty bad. I did fairly well for the first minute or so, getting and re-establishing open guard, trying for sweeps, etc.......but just couldn't quite get anything to work. Almost caught him with a double-leg takedown, but he was just able to sprawl out, forcing me to turtle under his gigantitude. He ended up catching me with an Ezekiel (sp?) choke.

Had a small conceptual breakthrough. I am now able to connect the spins that I use in stand-up to spins and rolls (like the Renzo sweep) on the ground. I have always understood intellectually that they were similar, but actually physically applying them has been a problem. But now I (physically) understand that using momentum is the same in both stand-up and groundfighting.

This does not make me an expert by any means, merely an "AH-HA!" moment that my body and mind recognized. Hopefully this will lead to less tapping out.

#370041 - 06/25/08 11:49 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA
Quote:

But now I (physically) understand that using momentum is the same in both stand-up and groundfighting.

Very interesting Matt.

#370042 - 06/25/08 12:09 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: medulanet]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Sounds dumb, I know.

I just mean that now my body is starting to understand the intellectual relationship. "The door has been opened". Still have a long way to go with it!

Page 11 of 14 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga