FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 45 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
Matakiant 1
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
Today at 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#369933 - 11/14/07 01:46 PM MattJ's BJJ log
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Just thought I would create a thread to keep some random training notes on.

Last night we worked on a cross-lapel choke from mount. Mount is actually not one of my favorite positions to work submissions from, as it is hard to stay balanced when doing them. My instructor gave us a good tip about using our knee to load one side of the opponent's chest when leaning over to get a choke. It did make it more diffcult to escape from underneath when the top guy did that. It also help with balance, since you can come up on the ball of the foot as you lay your knee against the opponent's chest. This allows you to post out on that foot, in case the opponent tries to sweep you to that side.

He also gave us a good tip about "curling" your arm (to drive your elbow in the opponent's chest), when doing lapel chokes. Very uncomfortable for the guy on the bottom. It does help raise the opponent's head, to facilitate going for the back of his gi.

Successfully worked the safety position, re-aquiring butterfly guard, and some sweeps in free-rolling. Didn't get any submissions, but I was rolling with a blue belt.

Starting to get a feel for using the opponent's momentum, but still far too slow to recognize it - at least compared to my stand-up stuff.

#369934 - 11/15/07 08:39 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
shoveldog Offline

I agree with you on the balance issue. It may or may not apply to the specifics of the choke you were using, but what I think is effective is to get the bottom guy focused on the choke, switch to side control and clock around to finish. That tactic really works well when the guy tries the knee to elbow escape. As soon as he goes for it, just give up the mount, go to side control on the other side and try to finish from there. I got smoked on the bottom so many times that way when I first started at the gym I train at now. I had a pretty good knee to elbow, but they were always ready for it; they just gave up the mount and got a really tight side control which was as good or better for them than the mount. I realize now that's a pretty basic technique, but I'd never really seen it.

If my hands are in his gi for the choke when I'm on top, the best way I can defend the bridge and roll escape is to sort of ride up with the guy. Usually, when you give him that much space, he'll try the knee to elbow, and I'm ready to just give up the mount and move to side control.
All that probably means, though, is that I need more work on my top mount game.

Open Mat in 48 minutes. Yee-hah! Time to start taping all my injuries.

#369935 - 11/15/07 10:33 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: shoveldog]
BradS Offline

Also another thing to finsh that choke is to work a higher mount. Slide your knees tightly up their ribs to almost their armpits. Then place your head on the ground above theirs while pulling them up into your chest. "Fishing" your wrists for extra leverage.

I personally don't like mount unless it's for mma or points. Mount seems harder to isolate a limb compared to side mount. Plus i like to take the back which i have alot of set-ups from side mount.

#369936 - 11/15/07 10:44 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: BradS]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Hi Brad, thanks for the tip. I try to use high-mount as much as possible, although I get bucked-off in transition to subs a lot.

I am much more comfortable in sidemount or north-south. Mount (IMHO) seems like it's great for ground-n-pound, but not so much for submissions.

#369937 - 11/15/07 11:43 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
BradS Offline

if you can find material on the S mount or what we call the fatboy mount this will help stop you from getting bucked off during submission attempts plus it opens up the back.

#369938 - 11/15/07 11:54 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: BradS]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

I have seen the S-mount used to transition from front chokes/RNC's to shoulder locks, if the opponent tries to spin out from under you. Good position that I don't use often enough. Hadn't considered using it when they try to upa me, but I'll give it a shot next time. Thanks!

#369939 - 11/15/07 12:04 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
BradS Offline

next time i am around i will show you some other stuff to that helps with balance. The table top theory, and the ride'em cowboy block

#369940 - 11/17/07 07:01 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: BradS]
Rainbowtiger Offline

Loc: Maryland, USA
I know how feel Matt i have a curved spine(from sitting in my chair all the time) so im willing to bet your mount is better than mine. lol i go to mount strictly for late-match points or strikes.

These three options are pretty good:
S-Mount
Sitting Mount

You can also do what i do. Dont release your grip that got the mount. When you mount you usually have an arm behind the head right? so instead of going to the four point stance(both hands and both knees on the ground) just leave your hand there make sure you keep your body low, grip his gi/shoulder, apply shoulder pressure and keep a high mount. you believe how many chokes you'll lock up. It opens up wristlocks too. well wristlocks for me would be armbars for you.

#369941 - 11/21/07 11:00 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Last night we worked an attack series from the mount. We started with the Americana (tree-up) shoulder lock. We were shown to go to S-mount if the guy defends by grabbing his arm and rolling to his side. Keeping weight on his body and pushing down on the arm that was originally trapped for the American a attempt, you feed your other arm through HIS other arm, and grab your own shouder. This sets up the armbar, and all we needed to do was swing our back leg around his head.

If he defends the Americana attempt by not letting you get his arm down to the floor at all, you simply push his arm the opposite way (across his chest), and drop your chest behind his elbow to pin the arm. Keeping weight on his arm, you feed your hand (ex: opponent's left arm is pinned, you feed your right arm) under his neck and grab the wrist of the pinned arm, pulling it under his neck as much as possible. Now you start to "ratchet" him over onto his side by pushing his elbow while pulling his wrist further underneath his neck. Go to S-mount (keeping weight on his wrist) and feed your free hand through the crook of his arm, and set up choke or armbar.

We then did some isolation sparring drills, with top guy in mount. Top guys tries to submit, while bottom guy has to sweep or pull guard. 2 minute rounds each, switching positions each round. First cycle was with a blue belt who threw me off my mount so easily, I felt like a rag doll.

I did better working from the bottom with him, avoiding submissions and reversing postion on him.

Next cycle was with another white belt. He was pretty scrappy, and reversed position on me twice. I did submit him twice, once with Americana, once with Ezeckiel (SP?) choke.

Did two rounds of regular free-rolling. Won the first match. I gassed pretty bad in the second round. I was doing well using safety position in the guy's guard, but got tired and let my arm hang out. He went for am armbar, and I really struggled to defend. I managed to get my leg across HIS neck (don't ask, LOL), and break his hold on my arm.

Got a small cut over my eye during the second round, so called it a night after that.

#369942 - 11/21/07 11:38 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Good stuff Matt, I'm envious but I should get back to this shortly myself. I see you used the "Tree-Up" term, do you us this is class? I just assumed it was a term that we only used.

#369943 - 11/21/07 11:47 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: Dereck]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Speaking of tree up....I remember using the term "branch-up" from years ago during the Filipino martial arts training that I had. Branch down, branch up, branch out were pretty common to us back in the day although I never heard many others referring to those terms either.

-John

#369944 - 11/21/07 11:50 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: Dereck]
shills11 Offline

Loc: Glasgow Scotland
There was a sparring class last week after the technique class where we do 6 10 min rounds and I got tapped out by a blue belt 6 times in 10 mins with a different submission every time. that filled me with confidence for the next round.

#369945 - 11/21/07 11:52 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: Dereck]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Quote:

Good stuff Matt, I'm envious but I should get back to this shortly myself. I see you used the "Tree-Up" term, do you us this is class? I just assumed it was a term that we only used.

No, don't really use it that often. But I know other folks have different terms for it, so I figured I'd try to be open with the terminology.

#369946 - 11/21/07 03:07 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

LOL. I just realized that I didn't do anything from last week's lesson about staying in the mount.

I also meant to try the diagonal stabilization in mount, where you grab the opponent's arm between his shoulder and elbow, then grab around his knee/thigh area on the opposite side. Pulling up on both will help to limit the opponent's ability to roll you. So I've heard, anyway.

#369947 - 11/21/07 03:08 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Cool and thanks. I was under the assumption that the "Tree-Up" for the Americana and the "Tree-Down" for the Kimura were just something we used but nice to see that others may use this terminology as well. In my tournament in April of 2006 I used the "Tree-Up" to win one of the matches. I have to admit in class I over-used the technique and people got wise of me using it. It used to be a staple but isn't any more; though I should throw it out there again to see who bites.

#369948 - 11/21/07 03:32 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: Dereck]
shoveldog Offline

My instructor routinely uses "branch up" for americana and "branch down" for kimura. I think those terms are pretty common.

#369949 - 11/27/07 08:27 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: shoveldog]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

bump

#369950 - 11/28/07 01:38 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Takedown and breakfall class last night.

Bleh. Probably my least favorite aspect of grappling training. Not only am I unfamiliar with many of the techniques, my approaching-40-year-old knees and hips do not care for the practice, either.

We started with front and back rolls on both sides. Those I can do OK, having done those frequently in AKK and JKD.

Side falls.......meh. Can keep myself from getting killed, but that's about it. Need work on those.

Low single leg takedown - I like this one, and as long as I don't think about it, I can do it fluidly. If I stop to try to think about what knee goes down (mirror image to the opponent ie; my right to his left) and what arm goes down (opposite arm to the knee that goes down), I get paralyzed.

High single leg - I like this one, too. Provided that I can get in range, this is a good one. Getting under the opponent's knee while ramming them backwards is key to getting thier weight off the leg you are trying to pick up. I had a bit of trouble remembering to trap their leg between mine before using the side of my head to push them down.

Standing double leg - I know a version of this move already. My instructor showed a variation which caused me utter paralysis with this move. After grabbing behind both opponent's knees, you jam your hips forward, and tilt the opponent over your shoulders, as you turn into them almost 180 degrees. I have trouble with my hips, and popped something while trying to do the move while my instructor watched. Very embarrassing!

I am used to just grabbing the knees, and spinning around to knock them down. The "lifting" was very foreign to me.

The class ended up running 20 minutes over into our free-rolling time, so I only had time for one match. I ended up paired with a 300lb ex-wrestler. Very nice guy who took it very easy on me, allowing me to work some positions and open-guard stuff before finally getting bored, crushing me with a grapevine, and choking me out.

Very tired today, despite not seeming like a "hard" class.

#369951 - 11/29/07 07:24 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southend, Essex, UK
Quote:

Very tired today, despite not seeming like a "hard" class.

Ain't that always the way. I often find that when you do an intense class it's in short bursts with big rests. When you slow things down and work technique you end up moving constantly, sweating 20 gallons of fluid and blowing like a whale at the end of the session! Bloody sneaky these instructors at times!

Sounds like great fun though mate. BJJ is definitely something I'm going to give ago when my schedule calms down a bit. Keep up the log mate, great reading!

#369952 - 12/06/07 07:56 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Today's class worked on escaping side control, kimura from side control, and the double leg takedown.

The escape was the "side control escape to the knees". This involves "bumping" the opponent up, and underhooking across to the opponent's opposite arm, (ie; your right arm underhooks his right arm). Next, shifting your legs away from the opponent, who is blocking your hip (so you can't roll into them). As you shift your legs away, you roll to your stomach, and try to grab behind the opponent's legs while drawing your knees up to your elbows. This position sets up the double-leg takedown.

With the opponent's legs trapped, you put your head to the outside of his body, extend your (same side) leg to the side, and push sideways into the opponent. "Pushing your ear to the mat" will usually get the opponent over, especially if the attempt to put weight on you - the slight turn into them will dump them right into the spot where you were. From there, you can try to gain side control or mount.

The kimura from side-control starts by isolating the opponent's far arm, pushing it down so that your "bottom" arm (closest to his hip) traps his wrist on the ground, palm down, near his hip. Your other arm goes over his head, then under and through his armpit, grabbing your own wrist.

The submission works by dragging the arm towards the direction of his elbow (in this case, towards his head). With the arm trapped, you sit out facing his head, bringing your top (rear?) leg through, so that the inside of your knee presses down on his head. This prevents him from sitting up out of the lock. Now, keeping his wrist pinned to the ground, raise his elbow while pulling the arm to his head.

We then did some sparring drills. 2 minute rounds with your partner, one person starts in side control, with the goal of submitting the bottom guy. Bottom guy has to get to his knees or pull guard.

I did horrible at the drills today. I was simply not "on" whatsoever, getting winded and forgetting pretty much everything under resistance. Very frustating.

Managed to get through the drills, but strained my neck painfully about 4 minutes into the first round. Also dealing with an (unrelated weight lifting) injury to my left wrist.

Frustrated, gassed, and sore, I called it quits there and went home. One of the classes I would rather forget about, but that's sometimes how practice goes. Hopefully my neck and wrist are better before the next class on Tuesday.

Woof.

#369953 - 12/06/07 08:56 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
shoveldog Offline

I hear ya. For whatever reason, I got smoked sparring last night, too.
A guy I usually do alright with tapped me three times. But now I'm psyched up for next time.

Keep the log entries coming, it's good for me to hear someone else describe a technique. It's probably good for you to type it out, too. I try to write down a technique after I learn it. I figure if I can communicate it, even in my own notes, I can remember it.

#369954 - 12/11/07 04:58 PM ! [Re: MattJ]
ToddR Offline

Loc: York, PA
Hey Matt, nice of you to post this BJJ blog and it was good seeing you up at LFMAC last Thursday (and in the daytime no less!) I'm totally with you on the takedowns training--I have less experience with takedowns than probably any other aspect of martial arts and I always get owned by wrestlers or other guys with good takedowns.

One thing I have to compliment you on though is that you really are moving well. I hadn't rolled with you in a long, long time and I remember that you used to be a lot less relaxed; I definitely need to work on that myself. YOu should be proud that you've been training BJJ now for around, what, two years? That's awesome! I wish I had stuck with it as consistently as you have the past few years. Looking forward to training with you again in the near future.

Todd

#369955 - 12/11/07 06:59 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: ToddR]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Hey, it was great seeing you again, Todd! Man you are still sharp, bro. I may be getting better, but you still pwned me pretty bad.

Yeah, coming up on 2 years in January. Good times. Taking the night off, but hope to be back in there soon.

#369956 - 12/12/07 11:34 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
ToddR Offline

Thanks man. You are too kind. We're in the same boat my friend--we train as much as we can with limited time and resources. Wish it were different but that just ain't the hand we've been dealt lately, huh?

I'm doing my best to work with some guys in York. I have the Masterclass Grappling curriculum and there are a couple of guys interested in working some technique a few days a week. You are always welcome to join us though I know your time is limited, what with commuting from Baltimore. But, if you'd like me to let you know when we plan to get together I will include you in my e-mails if you'll send me your address.

I also hope to make it up to Mike's as much as possible. I'll probably do what you've been doing and make it up there one day a week--probably Thursday's noon class (and maybe on Tuesdays if the wife says it's okay!)

Later bud.

TR

#369957 - 12/14/07 04:04 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Didn't make it to class this week. Too much going on!

#369958 - 12/19/07 11:21 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Open-guard class last night.

We worked the open-guard hooking sweep, and the open-guard "reaping" sweep. I like the hooking sweep, which involves capturing one of the opponent's arms, hooking one of his ankles with your hand. Hook his other leg with your instep (going behind his knee or ankle), and pushing the heel of your other foot into his hip, he should go down. Follow his momentum and come up in mount.

Reaping sweep I have a hard time with. Can't seem to get the opponent stretched out enough to make the reap work. Meh.

My instructor also threw in a bit of MMA, having us work on the "upkick" from open guard, as well. One guy stood up holding a kick pad, and the guy on the bottom had to do up kicks for 30 second rounds, switching legs every round. Each cycle then switched places with the partner. Emphasis on posting on the opponent's upper thigh/hip to launch the kick. Fun stuff.

Spent the entire free-rolling time pretending I was Medulanet.

Worked standing to takedown, then going to open-guard (never was able to get mount). Anytime the opponent pulled guard on me, I stood up out of it. If I ended up pulling guard, I would disengage, scramble to my knees, and push forward out of it. Worked pretty much every time against similar skill level. Wanted to work some butterfly guard sweeps as well, but wasn't good enough about getting my hooks in.

Overall, good class. Getting more comfortable with open guard. School will be closed till after New years, for the holiday.

#369959 - 12/19/07 12:16 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Quote:

School will be closed till after New years, for the holiday.

Great strategy by the school: Allow people to be tempted over the Christmas period, wait for them to indulge themselves then start the class up again just as they being to feel the guilt.

I like the open guard- you need to be really mobile on your back, but I really like using it against strong guys who can power out of my closed guard. With an open guard it is much easier to scramble back to a neutral position, or exploit the gaps they leave you.

#369960 - 01/04/08 12:47 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: Supremor]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Attack series from guard last night.

We started with the Kimura from guard. This involves trapping one of the opponent's wrists on the ground, (ex: my right to his left) unlocking your closed guard, and "swinging" your upper body up and to 45 degrees on the elbow of the arm your grabbing his wrist with.

* Very important not to sit straight up into the opponent - he will push you right back down. That's why the 45 degree angle is used.

Your other arm swings across and over the shoulder (and on the inside of the opponent's forearm) of the arm you have trapped, ending up grabbing your own wrist Figure-4 style. At this point, you should be pushing off your opposite (far side) foot, turning yourself 90 degrees to face in to the side of your opponent. Now swing your other leg (same side as the trapped arm) over his back. Keep it pressed tightly down, trying to touch your foot to your other knee on the other side of his body - or figure 4 your legs if you can. This will keep him from escaping over your leg.
Keeping his upper arm pressed to your chest, drag his arm up (in the direction of his elbow) to get the submission.

We then worked the (don't know the technical term) forward hip-bump sweep. This is used when the opponent uses posture to lean back away from the kimura attempt above. It starts off identical to the Kimura attempt above, Instead of grabbing the opponent's wrist mirror image as above, you post that arm out behind you as you swing your other arm across and over his shoulder. Trap that arm across your body as you raise your hips up off the ground. Now, take your hip and slam it into his chest as high as possible, turning him in the direction of his trapped arm. You should end up in mount.

* Very important to post the arm BEHIND you, not off to the side.

Last was the Guillotine from guard. This also starts the same way as the others, going for the Kimura by trapping his wrist mirror-image style (my right to his left). But this time the opponent leans forward and in to stop the attempt. So, instead of trying to trap his arm, you take your other arm and wrap it over his head and around his neck. Your wrist should end up right on his windpipe. At the same time, you have to "scoot" out and away from the opponent enough to create space to get both of your arms in between you and the opponent. Take your other hand underneat the opponent's chin and grab your own wrist.

Now scoot back in and lock the guard on tight. Lean back, while expanding your chest and turning your wrist in towards the opponet's throat for the submission. Remember to "push away" with your hips as well.

* Be prepared to keep "scooting" as the opponent will be resisting the entire time.

Was very pleased with my free-rolling and active drills this class. Very effectively remembered to use my hooks in open guard work. Worked the single leg takedown effectively as well. Got an elevator sweep (Thanks for the video Aesopian!), and generally had good positional control. Was pretty good about not leaving my arms in bad position.

Attempted an armbar/omoplata series, but didn't get them. Made the guy sweat defending them, though.
I got a semi-crucifix kind of neck/spine crank on one guy.

I did get submitted once by a bicep slicer - very painful!

Wow, it's really hard to write all this cr4p out!

#369961 - 01/09/08 12:08 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Attack series from guard last night.

We started working the standard armbar from guard. Trap one of the opponent's arms, and post your foot on the same-side hip as the arm you are trapping. Pinch your knee in tight to his arm to make it difficult for him to pull it away. Push on his hip with your foot, and start to throw your other leg over his shoulders and across his neck. Keep pressure on him to keep his posture down. Remember to pull on the trapped arm as you push, and turn your body towards the opposite side of his body from the arm you have trapped (you should end up almost perpendicular to him). Now raise your hips off the ground, and take your foot off his hip. Slide your leg over the same shoulder you already have trapped. Pull the arm and lift your hips gor the submission.

Next was the triangle choke. Starts similar to the armbar. You have trapped one or both of the opponent's wrists, and are setting up for the armbar. However, the opponent pulls his arm out before you can trap it. As he pulls his arm out, keep the other one trapped. Immediately throw your leg (same side as the arm he has pulled out) over his neck, as you twist your body to that same side (ex: he pulls his right arm out, you throw your left leg over his neck, and twist to the left). Pull the opponent's opposite side arm across your body, and hook your other leg over the leg already across the opponent's neck, figure 4 style. Knees should be pinched together tightly. Squeeze your legs together for the submission. Pull the opponent's head down if neccesary.

We also did some kend of sweep ending up in mount, don't remember the name. It was similar to the omoplata, with your leg coming up under the armpit of the opponent, and driving it foward and down to to roll the opponent over. I had a hard time with it, and didn't really get it down.

I just kept ending up in omoplata position instead of mount.

Did a few sessions of limited and free-rolling. I am starting to figure out that I totally suck at escaping side-control. Woof. One guy tapped me out twice in 5 minutes from side-control. I did defend well using open-guard against one guy, and got 3 submissions in a 5 minute round against another.

Overall, a good class, but I see I really need to get my side-control defenses much better - pathetic right now.

#369962 - 01/09/08 02:14 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA
MattJ, does your dojo teach underhooks? In half guard and side mount that should be the first thing you go for. Actually, it can be easier to escape from side mount because your legs and hips are free. This is where wrestling skill really helps.

#369963 - 01/09/08 02:22 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: medulanet]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Yes, my instructor has shown underhooks - I just suck at them.

The guy last night was killing me by blocking my hips and trapping my legs very effectively. He was also good about flattening my shoulders out so I coulsn't roll in any case. I actually gassed out right before the match ended because he was crushing my chest so bad.

Wish I had wrestled in high school, but I was doing kroddy then, and didn't think I needed it. I did use the 'stand up' out of guard a few times last night to good effect.

#369964 - 01/09/08 03:47 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

You should have done both, I did. However, I got chewed out by my wrestling coach when I came in right before districts my sophmore year with a broken toe from sparring in karate class. One thing that works for me when in side mount is to use the bump to get the underhook. When you start to dig(pummel) for the underhook and he tries to block bump. Right when you start to come back down to the mat from the bump you should have enough space to get it. Once you get it then immediately start to turn in and/or bump again to escape.

#369965 - 01/09/08 03:49 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: medulanet]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Thanks. I will try that at the next class.

#369966 - 01/16/08 11:07 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Last night was a basics review class.

After the warm-up, we started off with one minute rounds working armbars and triangle chokes from the guard. No resistance from the partner, and not taking the attacks to submission. These were simply positional drills. We did as many reps as we could for the minute, then switched places with the partner. One round armbars, one round triangles. Good drills that I needed to help "lock in" the small details that make the moves work ie; knees tight to the opponent's body, proper rotation whilst pulling the opponent's arm across your body, etc.

We then focused on the basic bridging escape when mounted. Important factors noted:

* Break the opponent's posture, either by pulling his head down or bridging him forward, so his hands come down to the ground

* Trap one arm by pulling it across your chest, and trap the same side leg, so the opponent has nothing to "post" out with when you attempt the sweep

*With arm and leg trapped, bridge opponent up and forward (so he can't post his other arm across his body to stop the sweep), then roll to the side of the opponent's body that you have trapped off

We worked these for 5 reps each side, increasing partner resistance each time. Last rep was full resistance.

We then worked the standard single-leg guard pass. Emphasis on:

*Maintaining good (upright) posture

*Hands were palm down pushing into opponent's hip, with elbows digging into their thighs, and pushing a knee into their tailbone for leverage to help break their ankles apart

*Once you get an arm under one of their legs, get the leg on your shoulder, and reach forward across to their opposite shoulder, crushing them the entire time. Do not let your body come away or create space when moving.

We worked the guard pass for 5 reps each side, with increasing resistance each time. Last rep was full resistance.

The instructor showed us a neat reversal for when someone tries to bridge you off from the mount. It starts by trapping one of their elbows while you are mounted. You "give" them an arm to trap for the bridge, and secure their opposite one. As they bridge you to the side of your trapped arm, you pull on the opponent's arm that you have trapped as he rolls you. Your foot goes in the opponent's hip (same side as the arm you are pulling), and you push his head away from you with your opposite hand. Pull your leg off his hip, over his head and across his shoulder, and you should end armbarring the opponent. I definitely need work on that, but "seeds were planted". (for Gavin)

Class ended doing more one minute rounds of limited sparring. One round was bottom guy in the mount. He had to sweep, pull guard or submit. Top guy had to submit. Then, it was bottom guy pulls guard. Top guy had to escape or submit, bottom guy had to sweep or submit. Switching partners and postitions each round several times. Pretty much exhausted at this point.

I did force myself to stay for 1 round of free-rolling, rolling with a bigger, muscular dude. We started standing-up, and he managed to get a nice takedouble leg takedown on me, and get me in mount. I was good about keeping my hands reaching behind him on his belt, so he couldn't trap them.
I was able to keep escaping to half-guard. I eventually got out, and swept him to scarf-hold. We ended up getting back to our feet, where this time I got him with a double leg takedown. I was completely blown out at this point, and pretty much much couldn't move any more. Time was called seconds later.

* Important mental breakthrough tonight:

I find that I am no longer terrified of working with blue belts. While I am not at a point where I can submit them with impunity, neither can some of them submit me without a serious struggle - if it all. This is certainly a big change from 6 months ago, when a match with a blue belt was a certain, quick defeat for me.

Still, I have a long way to go. But progress is now visible.

#369967 - 01/16/08 07:54 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Linking this one from the Dave Meyer seminar a few months back:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...=4#Post15967345

#369968 - 01/17/08 09:13 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

How many times have you worked with David? Is this your second time? Two times as well for me as this is who my Instructor trains with. Stuff like this makes the world smaller.

#369969 - 01/17/08 10:20 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: Dereck]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

I have been to 2 Dave Meyer seminars. Great stuff.

#369970 - 01/17/08 11:29 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
BrianRVanCise Offline

Loc: Alma, Michigan
Nice Blog MattJ. I am enjoying reading how your training is going for you.

#369971 - 01/17/08 12:48 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: BrianRVanCise]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Thanks, Brian. I have enjoyed reading yours, too.

#369972 - 01/23/08 12:17 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Last night we worked on armbar from mount, with a few variations. We started off with the standard armbar from mount. Emphasis on staying low to the opponent's body, and "sitting into" his arm, so he can't pull it free.

We then were showed a variation where the guy is pushing up with one or both hands, in an attempt to throw you off. As he pushes, you simply lean/fall away to one side or the other, using your chest to trap one of his arms across his body as you, fall. Quickly bring up your knee (same side as the arm you have trapped) under his shoulder to prevent him from rolling into you. Take the "high" arm (nearest to his head, furthest from his hips), and place it in front of his face (again, to keep him from escaping). Take your other arm and life up underneath the opponent's (opposite arm from the one you have trapped) tricep. Post your weight on the arm in front of his face, as you start to swing your leg across his head. Pinch your knees tight, and sit back for the armbar.

We did at least one other variation, but I can't remember for the life of me what it was.

Next was the "elbow escape" from mount. This starts by using your hips to "bridge" the opponent up. Before he can come back down on you, you quickly turn to your side. Immediately take both hand and push against the leg your facing. Slide his leg back, and bring your knee forward and under his leg. Post your knee against his body and push your away from him. Repeat same procedure on the other side to get full guard or butterfly guard or whatever.

We also worked on a "double hooking sweep" from butterfly guard. Sitting close to the opponent, you underhook one side, and trap the opposite side arm. Fall sideways to the side of the opponent's trapped arm, and then use your hook to throw his leg over as he falls. Sit thorugh to get a scarf-hold side position, or mount. Aesopian demostrates it near the end of this video lesson here:

http://www.aesopian.com/189/halfbutterfly-guard-with-overhook-lesson/

Did fairly well in the mount-escape drills. Used the "diagonal stabilization" mount to effectively hold the opponent from escaping.....until I tried to go for a sub. First time he threw me off, but the second time I was able to get an armbar. Successfully used the "elbow escape" to get out of the mount when it my my turn on bottom. Escaped 4-5 times each one minute round.

Got caught in side-control/arm triangle in free-rolling, exactly like the last time with that same guy. Lasted a bit longer, but he still ended up getting me.

His side-control was very tight. I did do a nice reversal on him, only to have him IMMEDIATELY reverse me right back into side-control. Bleh. Maybe next time.

#369973 - 01/23/08 01:29 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Quote:

We did at least one other variation, but I can't remember for the life of me what it was.

Coming back to me now! One of the other armbar variations started with you in the mount. Grab the opponent's tricep and pull up (ex: your right to his left). Your other hand grabs his gi lapel (ex: your left hand to his right side lapel), and punches it down across his throat. The pressure from the pull-up on the arm and pushing the gi lapel across the throat is very uncomfortable - you can damn near get a tap from that alone!

You then slide your knee up under the shoulder of the opposite arm you have trapped. He will most likely be trying to roll in that direction (ie; away from the lapel choke), anyway. Trap the near side arm while still keeping hold of the other arm (tricep). Bring your leg over and finish the armbar.

Still don't remember the other one yet.

#369974 - 02/01/08 10:34 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Heh. JasonSig did a pretty good write up on the class last night, so I will be semi-lazy and just link his thread here:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...0b#Post15982268

Quote:

Once we got done drilling that we did 3 kinds of chokes, I don't remember what the first was because things were coming at me pretty fast, the second was basically the rear naked choke (again can't remember what the actual term was for it), and the last was a lapel type of choke from the back that seemed quite potent if you can get it on.

The first choke we did was half-nelson lapel choke from S-mount. It starts with you in mount, and the opponent attempts to roll to his side. You get S-mount (one knee behind their shoulder/neck, and the other foot posted tightly in front of their body, to keep them from rolling out. You get a loose grip on their collar (far side collar from the floor, with your bottom hand closest to their hip), and punch it down and across their throat. Reach around and behind their head with the other hand, and grab the lapel collar. Take the hand that was originally holding the lapel under/through the armpit and around the opponent's head, half-nelson style. Pull up on the collar, and push the head in and down towards the lapel with the other hand for the choke.

The second choke was the standard Rear Naked Choke (RNC), also known as the Back choke. Emphasis on keeping the arm "loose" as it goes around the opponent's neck. Your hand should end up on your own shoulder, as high as possible, to take away the space around the opponent's neck. The instructor also made a point of placing the other hand on the back of your own skull, as opposed to the opponent's skull. This will make it more difficult for them to "peel" you hand off, neutralizing the choke.

The third choke was a lapel version of the RNC. From back mount, you secure a "loose" grip on the same-side lapel of the opponent (ex: your left hand to their left lapel). Pull the lapel open (away from their neck), and quickly insert your other hand across and inside, as high up on their neck as possible. Grip should be palm down, with the thumb inside the lapel. With that grip secure, take the hand that originally opend the lapel, and grab across to the other side lapel. Pull down with that hand as you pull back with the other to get the choke. Very powerful choke!

Did pretty poor in active drills and free-rolling today. Repeatedly got mounted, and had a hard time escaping. I did almost get a crucifix submission on a blue-belt, but couldn't quite get it locked in before he escaped. Then he tapped me out 2 (3?) times in 5 minutes. He also repeatedly took me down from standing, using a judo shoulder throw when I tried to sprawl.

A bit disappointed with myself this class. But there's always next time.

Edited by MattJ (02/01/08 10:56 AM)

#369975 - 02/06/08 11:34 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Mount attack class last night.

First thing we worked on was the Figure 4 from mount. This is the standard Americana shoulder lock, with the opponent's hand up by his head. It starts by pushing down (both hands, usually) on the opponent's arm to get it to the floor. If you are going for his left arm, you drop your left elbow down past the left side of his head, keeping very tight to him. Maintaining the grip on his wrist with your left hand, slide your right under his elbow and through, to re-grab your left wrist figure-4 style. Now start to tighten the lock by dragging his arm in and down (in the direction that his elbow is pointing). When all the "slack" is taken out of his shoulder, start to use your right elbow to lift up under his. Make sure you keep his wrist on the ground as you lift. He should submit quickly.

Next was the Armbar from side mount. This actually started from mount, and assumed we were going for figure-4 above. The opponent may try to defend the figure-4 by grabbing his own wrist, and turning to his side (towards his wrist). As he turns, you immediately go to side-mount (knee behind his head, other foot posted tightly in front of his body). Take your "bottom" arm (nearest his hip), and thread it through the crook of his "top" arm (opposite from the one originally attacked in the figure-4). Your other arm should now be posting tightly in front of his face, trapping his head between your knee and your arm. Place your weight on the arm in front of his face, and the foot in front of his body. Start to swing your back leg around his head, and in front of his face. Do not sit up off his body - sit on him the whole time. Grab his arm with both hands, and lean back for the armbar.

Last was Ratcheting. This again starts from the mount, and the attempt for a figure-4 as above. Only this time, the opponent resists, and you cannot get his arm down to the floor at all. You simply push his arm the opposite way (across his chest), and drop your chest behind his elbow to pin the arm. Keeping weight on his arm, you feed your hand (ex: opponent's left arm is pinned, you feed your right arm) under his neck and grab the wrist of the pinned arm, pulling it under his neck as much as possible. Now you start to "ratchet" him over onto his side by pushing his elbow while pulling his wrist further underneath his neck. Go to S-mount (keeping weight on his wrist) and feed your free hand through the crook of his arm, and set up choke or armbar. You can also keep "ratcheting" him all the way over onto his stomach. Shove his hands down under his stomach to clear his arm away from defending choke attempts. Very uncomfortable!

Class ended with the usual rounds of limited sparring (escaping/maintaining mount). Did pretty well in those, although I am not really good about holding the mount.

Free rolled a pretty good match against one of the blue belts. Did a friggin AWESOME double leg takedown on him, followed by a flawless transition to scarf-hold to north-south. Felt like Brock Lesnar against Frank Mir for those first few seconds.

He then tried to reverse position on me, and suceeeded, but I caught him in a sloppy guillotine before he could get me all the way down. I had it pretty tight, but he trapped my legs so I couldn't get enough leverage to make him tap. After a brief struggle, he ended up breaking free, passing into side control and tapping me out. But I think I had him sweating a bit there! He did tap me out at lest one more time after that.

I rolled with the instructor, too. That was much worse. I almost avoided his takedown, but he ended up getting some weird north/south thing that I am not familiar with, and tapped me with a lapel choke.

Overall, fairly pleased with this class. And to think that I almost didn't go because I was in a really bad mood.

#369976 - 02/20/08 11:09 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Last night's class was a review of this material:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...page=0&vc=1

Felt pretty comfortable doing the drills in class. Not a huge fan of doing the kimura from that angle, but I can work it OK.

Felt pretty good doing the active drills (mount maintain/escape and side control maintain/escape). My elbow/knee escape is getting pretty reliable, even against some of the better guys in class. Much better about sinking my hips down when trying to maintain side-control, too.

Worked one round of free-rolling (won by head/arm triangle submission), and then two rounds of stand-up take-down defense only (me defending). Take-down defense is a horrible weakness of mine, so the practice was helpful.

First round I did pretty well not getting taken down too often. When I did get taken down, I was able to get dominant position most of the time. In fairness, the guy I was working with was shorter than me, and fairly new.

The second guy is bigger and more experienced. His takedowns were much harder to stop, and getting dominant position was much more difficult. Overall, I did OK, but need more work.

No class next week, as the instructor is on vacation.

#369977 - 02/21/08 08:42 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
JasonSig Offline

Loc: Red Lion, PA
Yea looks like I am gonna miss tonight's class as well. I hurt my back pretty badly last thursday and have been trying to recover hoping to get another class in before the break this coming week but doesn't look like it. Hopefully, the extra time the additional week off gives me will let me heal the rest of the way. Will probably be at the day class the tuesday after things get going, than miss thursday again thanks to work but after that will be back to normal. Hope to see you there.

#369978 - 02/21/08 10:56 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

When I did get taken down, I was able to get dominant position most of the time.

Matt, how did you get a dominant position if you were the one who was taken down? Did you reverse him after you hit the ground? If you landed on top when as you guys fell to the ground, then that would mean you got the takedown and your opponent didn't, right?

#369979 - 02/21/08 11:38 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: medulanet]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

He would shoot in for a takedown, but I would sprawl or otherwise (immediately) reverse it so that I ended up on top. I was not attempting takedowns, only defending.

The second guy, I did go for a few takedowns after he initiated. I have to admit that defending takedowns takes almost as much energy as free-rolling! I was tired at the end there!

#369980 - 03/05/08 11:13 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Last night's class was review of this material:

We also worked a half-guard escape (you on top, with the opponent trapping one of your legs). The escape involves drawing the foot of the trapped leg towards your body, in order to raise your knee straight up. This makes it very difficult for the opponent to "hang on" to the leg ie; he needs to keep the lock above your knee to trap it effectively. You can get the foot close by inching it heel/toe style, or simply grabbing and pulling with your hand.

After you get your knee pointed up, take your elbow (same side as the trapped leg), and push into the side of his knee to slide his leg "over the cliff" down past your shin. Once past the crest of your knee, gravity will help to drop the opponent's knee to the floor. Immediately drop your formerly trapped knee to the ground, to the outside of his leg to gain mount.

Class ran late due to a visiting judo instructor and his girlfriend training with us. So I only got in two cycles of active drills and one round of free-sparring, because I watched the judo instructor working with one of the other guys in class.

The active drill was the normal mount/guard escape, but this time the guy on top was to use standing passes instead of staying down. This was different and fun. I did pretty well in both instances, getting passed here and there, but getting some good sweeps from the bottom.

Free-rolled with one of the blue-belts, who tapped me twice in 5 minutes. Felt OK with it though, as I was working good strategy with him - he's just better than me.

#369981 - 03/05/08 04:20 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
BrianRVanCise Offline

Cool MattJ keep on blogging!

#369982 - 03/12/08 11:39 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Weird! Reading my notes from that thread about the active drills and sparring was very similar last night.

I did get a nice elevator sweep during one of the mount/guard escape drills (in front of 3 visitors, too. So sweet LOL!). Did well using open guard when people tried to pass from my closed guard, although I did get passed myself once or twice.

I also almost had a nice single leg takedown on my instructor. But he was able to defend it the instant we hit the ground by drawing his legs up so his knees were blocking me from passing further. He had me mounted pretty much the entire match, and although I defended submissions well, I ended up gassing out before the end of the match.

Overall pleased with the class, although I woke up today with a swollen left wrist, clicking when I twist it. No idea how that happened. Hopefully that will heal up quickly.

#369983 - 03/18/08 08:52 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Dog-sitting tonight, so no BJJ for me. Probably just as well, as I am still a bit sore from this:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...=0#Post15989774

#369984 - 03/18/08 11:59 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Weiner. You could submit the dog!!

Dog-Oplata!!
Hind leg lock!
Collar choke!!
Flea flicker!!
Roll Rover Over!!...wait, that didn't sound right.

#369985 - 03/19/08 03:01 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: BrianS]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Weiner. You could submit the dog!!

Dog-Oplata!!
Hind leg lock!
Collar choke!!
Flea flicker!!
Roll Rover Over!!...wait, that didn't sound right.

Did you mean study dog boxing? Góuquán?

Jude

#369986 - 03/27/08 08:05 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: jude33]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Last class we worked the hip escape. This a commonly used escape when the opponent has you in side control. The opponent is typically trying to crush you down flat on your back, while controlling you arms and your near (to him) hip, so you can't roll towards him. The escape calls for creating space by bridging up, getting an underhook on his far arm with your far arm (ex: opponent is in side control to your right. underhook his left arm with your left arm, if you haven't already), and then "shrimping" out away from his body.

At this point, you have two general options. One is to slide your lower leg across and through to the opponent's hip and pull guard. Ex: As in the above example, you have shrimped out from opponent in side control to your right, so you are on your right side. Your right leg pulls through to end up with the shin across his body, blocking him from mounting you. Pop your foot out across his hip to gain guard.

The other option from shrimping out would be to go to your belly, and "turtle up", drawing your legs up underneath you, and pressing forward into the opponent to set up a takedown.

We then worked the double leg pass. This starts while you are inside the opponent's guard. The idea is to make sure both of your arms are outside of the opponent's legs. Wrap your arms low around his hips or the top of his thighs. Pull the opponent up onto your thighs, so that his hips are off the ground. At this point, you start to push your head to one side of the opponent's legs. Begin to push him over to one side, keeping your weight on him the whole time with shoulders and hips, and get side control or mount.

We then worked a guard work drill - using the hip escape to side mount, in a circuit fashion. The opponent would then do his hip escape to side mount. We did it from both sides several times each, increasing the resistance each time.

Class ended with some free-rolling. I worked with one of the blue belts, who tapped me out each round. Despite my valiant efforts.

Overall good class, fairly pleased with how things went.

#369987 - 04/02/08 11:29 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Last night we worked sweeps from guard and a choke.

The first sweep we worked was the "scissors sweep". This sweep usually starts from having the opponent in your guard, and he starts a standard single leg pass. As soon as he posts a leg back to begin the pass, you grab his elbow(opposite side from his leg, ex: posts with his right leg, you grab his left elbow with your right arm). Very important to control the elbow here to keep the opponent from posting out when you go for the sweep.

Your other hand can grab his lapel, or behind his neck, etc. Your leg (same side as the one he is posting on) goes on top of his thigh, as you twist yourself to the side of the elbow you have grabbed. Now take your leg off his thigh, and push it across so your shin is on his stomach. Maintaining your grips, use your shin to push off, straighten your body out (so that you are not curled in towards him). Now start to pull the opponent forward and onto you. It is essential for the sweep to work that you take the weight off the opponent's legs. Once you have his weight far enough forward, your bottom leg now "scissors" across the floor, taking his legs out. At the same time, you "kick" into his stomach with your shin, and the opponent should go over with you ending in mount.

The instructor also showed us a variation which is very similar. From the same shin-on-stomach position, instead of "scissoring" the opponent's legs with your bottom leg, you put your foot on his knee and simply push his leg straight back. Very powerful, and I think I prefer this one.

We then did the "hooking sweep". This also starts with the opponent in your guard. As he attempts to reach under your leg to start the single-leg pass, you circle your foot under the thigh of the leg he is posting on, and hook your foot under his knee. This makes it very difficult for the opponent to complete the pass, since he now has to lift your leg AND his. Again, grab his elbow (opposite from the leg you have hooked) and lapel/neck, and pull him forward till his weight come off his legs. Start rolling towards the side where you have his elbow trapped, and "kick" the opponent's leg over your opposite shoulder as you roll. End in mount.

Last thing we worked was the "cross lapel" choke from guard. This starts by reaching across to grab the opponent's lapel (ex: your right hand to the opponent's right lapel), grabbing underhand with your palm facing you. The hand should get as "deep" ie; as far up towards the back of his neck, as possible.

To keep him from blocking the other hand with his chin, it helps if you can push your forearm under and into his chin, to keep it up. Your other hand slides under the first arm, and grips the collar the opposite side in the same manner (high up as possible). Using your closed guard, pull the opponent forward, and then shoot your hand even higher up behind his neck, trying to get the backs of your hand to touch together. At this point, the choke should already be pretty tight. Now pull your hands down to your chest as if doing a cable "row", and expand your chest out at the same time. Be sure to twist your palms facing in towards you, to get the forearm bones tight against the opponent's neck. Very powerful choke.

Class ended with normal active drills and free-rolling. I tried some new guard passes from the "Encyclopedia of Brazilian Jujitsu" by Rigan Machado. They worked fairly well, and I will be studying those more closely in the future.

Good class, although I did get tapped out by someone crushing me in a grapevine, with no other submission. Very embarassing.

#369988 - 04/02/08 01:05 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
BrianRVanCise Offline

Hey Matt,

Love those sweeps. I work those basic sweeps every single week and they truthfully have never let me down even when rolling with bjj brown and blackbelts or anyone else for that matter. (its all in the timing)

Edited by BrianRVanCise (04/02/08 01:06 PM)

#369989 - 04/02/08 03:01 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: BrianRVanCise]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Yeah, timing is definitely everything on those sweeps. If the guy is able to get his hips down, it ain't gonna happen. I'll keep working on them!

#369990 - 04/02/08 05:43 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

All good stuff Matt. From the scissor sweep you can open up so many different techniques with this one being my favorite.

Just to set you up first, you attempt the scissor sweep but are unable to pull it off and then you go into this. Works well though unless I practice this move over and over then coming back to it takes some time to actually get it to work on a full resisting opponent. Have taught this to others in our class and it is a favorite among many.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsFsC4r8PC0

I also have another but cannot find the video to go with it where you hook your foot on the back of their head. This one I have only shown to 3 others as you shouldn't give them all up. I will look for it Matt and throw it up here when I find it, it is a good one for sure to have as well.

#369991 - 04/02/08 06:03 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: Dereck]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Hey, very nice Dereck! I'll have to try that next class. Good find!

#369992 - 04/10/08 01:00 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Quote:

Thanks, Brian. I have enjoyed reading yours, too.

You're welcome!!

#369993 - 04/10/08 01:27 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: BrianS]
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Florida
Good job MattJ.

The scissor has long been my favorite technique. what amazes me is the number of Blue and even some Purple Belts who dismiss it as a beginner technique and never practice it in favor of learning the latest Marcelo Garcia move.

Makes it all the more rewarding when I scissor sweep them...

#369994 - 04/12/08 11:46 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Did a rare Friday class yesterday.

We started off working the knee-ride escape. This starts with the opponent on top in knee-ride. You are trying to turn on your side, facing him. As you do this, you want to take your floor-side arm and grab the leg that the opponent is posting on the floor. Very important to control that leg from going over top of your head. Your other arm grabs his belt/hip/abs area. Pushing into the opponent with both arms, roll to your belly, and immediately draw your legs up underneath you.

This sets up the next technique, which is the single leg takedown. Shoot in towards the opponent, and grab behind one of the opponent's knees with both of your hands. Make sure to keep your head between the opponent's legs, or as close as possible. Leaving your head on the "outside" of the opponent's body will leave you vulnerable to a guillotine attack. Also be sure to draw your legs up as close as possible to the opponent's body. This will give you maximum leverage to resist his sprawl, and give you more power for your takedown. Take your hand that is in between the opponent's knees, and grab his ankle. Now pull the ankle towards you, while pushing your head (opposite direction from the ankle pull) sideways into his body ("ear to the mat"), taking the him over.

The last technique we did was the cross-lapel choke from knee-ride. Starting with you on top in knee-ride (holding the opponent's near elbow and far knee), you pull him in towards you. Release the grip on his elbow, and grab his far lapel (ex: your left hand to his left lapel) with a thumb-in, fingers-out grip. Your palm should be facing the opponent. Your other hand goes underneath the first arm, and gets a fingers-in, thumb-out grip on his lapel, reaching as far back around his neck as you can get. The grip should already be getting tight for the opponent at this point. Now, drop you knee off his body and sprawl, pushing weight onto your forearms. Turn towards the opponent's head if you need more leverage, and he should tap quickly.

I also had my first time as an assistant instructor last night. I reviewed the material here:

With another white belt, and taught them to a new student. A little unnerving, as I do not consider myself instructor-worthy in BJJ. Luckily, my instructor watched closely to make sure I was teaching everything the right way. He offered some good detail points, but was mostly quiet. So I will take that to mean I did a fair job with it.

Did a tournament style free-rolling match with that other white belt, and lost on points, 8-6. Despite being dominant most of the match. My endurance is very poor, and I started to get winded in the last minute or so. This allowed him to do a nice sweep to mount on me, which I reversed quickly, but ended up in his guard (thus no points for me).

Good, frightening class.

#369995 - 04/16/08 12:11 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Last night we started with the "butterfly sweep", somewhat similar to the 'elevator sweep'. The sweep starts from an open guard/shin-across-body position. Controlling both of the opponent's wrists, thread the knee of the leg that is not across the opponent's body under and through the opponent's arm on that side (ex: controlling his right arm with your left hand, thread your left knee into the crook of his arm). Pull tight on his arm, while pushing your knee out at the same time. This keeps him from freeing that arm. Reach around and grab his pant leg/ankle with the other hand (ex: your right hand grabs his left pant leg/ankle), and pull yourself around so your head is perpendicular to his body. Now pull his weight forward onto your shin, getting his hips off the ground. Once you have him in the air, sit up and forward, dumping him on the ground with you ending in knee-ride.

This sets up the next technique, the "near armbar from knee-ride". Starting from knee-ride (having trapped and pulling on the opponent's near elbow and far knee), you pivot on the knee, bringing your foot around and under the opponent's neck (instep facing his neck). Release the grip on his knee, and swing your posted leg over the opponent's head, as you secure his arm with both hands. Standard armbar at this point, with all the normal points:

* feet tucked in tightly against the opponent's body
* knees pinched tightly together
* no gap between your body and the opponent's body
* opponent's hand turned thumb-up/pinky-down

The last thing we worked on was what the instructor calls the "Renzo sweep". Not sure how well I can describe this one.

It aslo starts from an open/shin-across-body guard position. This one assumes that the opponent will try to push your leg (knee) across his body, in order to pass to side control. You are controlling both wrists. As he pushes on your knee, you let him push it out from under his body, while "stuffing" the arm he is pushing with (same direction he is pushing) across his body, trapping it underneath him. Your other arm goes across his shoulders, grabbing his lats or belt, as you roll to your back (in the direction of the arm that is trapped across your body ie; roll to your left if his left arm is trapped), and "straighten out" yourself out so that you are now in-line with his body. The hard part of the roll is bringing your head forward and underneath the opponent's chest, so that you end up face up. Continue the roll, ending up on top, in north/south.

He showed us another move utilizing a similar roll, used against an opponent trying to "stack" you in an attempted armbar from guard. Instead of trying to resist that "stack", by keeping your head away from his body, you roll your head forward and underneath the opponent's chest, to get the armbar from there. This roll is a bit advanced for me, and I have a hard time using it yet.

Class ended with several rounds of guard escape partner drills, and free-rolling. I did poorly in the drills, not being able to escape guard once. I did get a few good sweeps and attempts from the bottom position.

Free-rolled against the instructor, and one of the blue-belts. Got submitted every time, including a rare RNC/body lock by the blue belt. Dang, that figure 4 body lock is very uncomfortable, and almost made me tap from that alone. Very difficult to escape.

#369996 - 04/23/08 12:28 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Last night's class started with the standing guard pass. Grab the opponent's belt with both hands as you stand up. After getting to your feet, release one of your hands, and place it on one of the opponent's knees. Rise up slightly on your heels, and drop your weight back down, pushing on the opponent's knee at the same time. This should force his legs open. Keep pressure on his legs as you drop down, and finish passing his guard.

Next up was the double knee standing pass. This starts with you standing in the opponent's open guard. You are securing either the opponent's ankles or his pant legs, while mantaining pressure, to keep him from getting hooks in on you. Now you want to turn the opponent by pulling one knee to one side, and pushing the other one the other direction (spinning him so that his legs are no longer pointing at you). Maintain the grip on his far knee, while releasing the one on the near knee. Slide past his legs, securing a grip on his elbow with your free hand, and take knee-ride.

This sets up the far armbar from knee ride. A typical response from the opponent under knee-ride is to try to push your knee off, to take the pressure off his body. As he pushes, you underhook that arm with the hand that was holding his knee. You can release the grip on his other elbow, and use it to help secure the underhooked arm. Pull him towards you, so that he is on his side facing you, with the arm trapped. Now take the foot that is nearest to his head, and swing it around his head and towards his back. That foot should now end up under the shoulder of the underhooked arm, with your other foot across his neck. You should end up facing the opposite direction. Sit back for the standard armbar submission.

Class ended with the usual rounds of active drills and free-rolling. I was very pleased with my performance this class. My guard escapes were much improved from last time. My open guard work needs work, as I got passed several times myself, but it's getting better. This instructor gave me some good points on how to keep the opponent from controlling my legs in open guard.

Did OK in free-rolling. I am getting better at resisting takedowns, and standing up out of someone else's guard. I then rolled with a blue belt, and got an armbar from north/south. First time I have ever tapped a blue belt, so I was pretty stoked.

I had just seen that technique in my copy of the "Encyclopedia of Brazilian Jujitsu" by Rigan Machado, which is also where I have picked up some good guard passes.

In his defense, he just finished rolling a 10 minute match with one of the powerhouse whitebelts in my school, who probably outweighed him by 30 pounds or so. He (blue belt) then tapped me out with a head/arm triangle, so victory was short-lived.

Fun class, and nice to be able to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

#369997 - 04/24/08 09:39 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
Tom2199 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: England
Matt what belt are you? i would love to roll with you some times seems like you are doing amazing work, i start MMA on sunday i guess i will just have to focus on groundwork since my striking is of a sufficient level. Hopfully some more BJJ classes along the pipline and get a belt soonenough!

#369998 - 04/24/08 10:51 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: Tom2199]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

I am a one-stripe (out of 4) white belt, so don't be too impressed, LOL. I get my ass kicked ALL the time. In our school, BJJ belt ranks go white, blue, purple, brown, then black. I will be lucky to make blue!

But if I ever make it over to the UK, I will be looking you and the rest of my UK FA.com buds up!

#369999 - 04/30/08 11:31 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Last night's class was a review of the material from the first half of this post:

Didn't do as well as I would have liked in the active drills. I did do OK against one of the huge wrestlers in the class, passing his guard in one drill, and almost getting a nice sweep from bottom on him as the clock ran out on another. Usually never get anything on this guy.

Tried a headstand guard pass in free-rolling against one of the other white belts, and got caught in a guillotine for my trouble. Not sure if I didn't roll straight or he moved when I tried it, but I didn't end up where I should have, for certain.

Rolled a light match against one of the blue belts, and he gave me some good points about not letting the opponent settle into a position before transitioning to an escape when on bottom. One of the other blues gave me a good tip about positioning myself more sideways when attempting to break someone's guard, and well as how to use my feet to keep pressure on their legs when passing, also.

Tournament this Saturday!

#370000 - 04/30/08 12:54 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

Go get'um Mattski

#370001 - 04/30/08 03:16 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: oldman]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Good luck Matt; hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

#370002 - 04/30/08 05:57 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: Dereck]
Tom2199 Offline
Enthusiast

Tell us how you do matt and good luck!

#370003 - 04/30/08 06:52 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: oldman]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Quote:

Quote:

Go get'um Mattski

Good luck Matt!

Put it on youtube!!

#370004 - 04/30/08 09:15 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
Xibalba Offline

Loc: Lansing, MI, USA
Good luck at the tourney! Keep us posted as to how it went.

Mike

#370005 - 05/01/08 06:57 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: Xibalba]
BrianRVanCise Offline

Good luck Matt!

#370006 - 05/03/08 07:11 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: BrianRVanCise]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Oh well. Lost two matches by submissions, and got eliminated. First match was against a 4-stripe white belt from another school. He pretty much pwned me the entire match, with the exception of a nice upa I got him with. Which he instantly reversed on me LOL, finishing me with an Eziekiel (sp?) choke.

Second match I was doing very well, getting and maintaining dominant position for most of the match. With me ahead something like 7 or 8 to zero on points, he manages to pull guard and snag my arm for an armbar submission. Dammit!

Maybe next time. It was fun though, and I got to meet a lot of other BJJ/Judo folk. Everyone was very cool, and the tournament was run flawlessly - it started on time and ended on time, almost to the minute!

Good experience, and I'll get out there again hopefully. Thanks for everyone's support!

#370007 - 05/03/08 08:58 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
JasonSig Offline

Loc: Red Lion, PA
It was a very cool tournament. I give it up to mike, it was extremely well run and even when little bumps came in the road they were fixed in a quick and fair manner with all parties for the most part agreeing that it was a fair decision.

I didn't get to see any of your matches but I know my day was up and down but more from my point of view I was just stoked to compete at all and even have a shot at winning.

#370008 - 05/03/08 11:12 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: JasonSig]
Glockmeister Offline

Loc: Lancaster, Pa
I had fun at the competition. Matt, It sucked I didn't get to see you roll as I was on the other side I did better than I expected to.

#370009 - 05/03/08 11:15 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: Glockmeister]
Glockmeister Offline

My first match. I got the guy i was fighting from York MMA with an Ezekiel choke. My 2nd, was with a guy from our school. Was dominating position wise most of the round before finishing him with an armbar. My 3rd match I lost to a guy due to a RNC. 4th match I won by advantage since me and the other guy were the same on points. my 5th i had to fight the guy who beat me earlier and he beat me again with a triangle. I can't complain about 2nd place though. Mike did a great job with the event.

#370010 - 05/04/08 10:03 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
Xibalba Offline

Hi Matt!

Sounds like the tourney was fun. Too bad about walking into that armbar, but - you win some, you lose some . Got any pics or video to share from your experience? Would love to see them.

BTW - I am assuming you start the matches from your feet. How did you do on the initial takedowns? That is the weakest part of my BJJ game, and if I were to compete anytime soon, I probably would end up scrambling from the bottom after missing the takedown.

Thanks for sharing!
Mike

#370011 - 05/04/08 10:43 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: Xibalba]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Mike -

All the matches did indeed start from the feet. I tried to be aggressive in initiating takedowns - although I only know two (single leg and double leg). The first guy stuffed my shoot, and we scrambled back to feet. We clinched up, and after some circling/feints, he caught me with a judo stomach throw.

The second guy and I also started off clinched/circling. He attempted a takedown, but I was able to catch him in guard before we hit the ground. He immediately stood up out of it. I released guard and went to a double ankle-hooking sweep, taking him down, and getting on top. The rest is history.

I am somewhat embarassed to admit that I think I am the only one from my school that did not win one single match.

I did realize that I am nowhere near ready to be a blue belt, if I had any doubts to start with.

Sorry, I did not take video, but some other people did. If I can get links, I will put them up.

I did at least learn two new escapes while watching some of the blues and purples roll. A knee-ride escape that involved simply pulling the ankle of the leg on your body, and sitting up out of the knee-ride. Looks simple enough, I'll try it in the next class.

The other was a very cool Americana shoulder lock from side-control escape. This involves underhooking the opponent with the arm that is not being attacked, and going to your belly, while walking your body away from the opponent. Can't wait to try that one, too.

#370012 - 05/04/08 01:49 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
Tom2199 Offline
Enthusiast

unlucky Matt maybe next time, thankds for sharing

#370013 - 05/04/08 09:13 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: Tom2199]
shoveldog Offline

MattJ, although my instructor discourages it, there's nothing wrong with pulling guard, lots of really strong players do it quite successfully. It's a road trip for you, but come on down to the NAGA event in Georgia next weekend! It's politically difficult to get away on Mother's Day weekend, but I'm angling to make it a day trip.

#370014 - 05/05/08 03:00 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
Glockmeister Offline

Quote:

I am somewhat embarassed to admit that I think I am the only one from my school that did not win one single match.

The Thing to remember Matt, is that you had the guts to get on the mat which is more than some people ever do. You were willing to throw down and show yourself and represent your self and your school and that says a lot. One thing I can tell you is that competitions help us to learn and to grow and to see how we do when under pressure. Remember, no matter what happens, you always walk away a winner, because you are that much better at what you do than before you got on the mat or in the ring.

#370015 - 05/05/08 06:46 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Good job on getting out there Matt!! Keep at it!!

#370016 - 05/07/08 10:58 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: BrianS]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Last night we worked on headlock escapes from the ground.

The first one we went over was the headlock escape to the back. The main idea is to not let the opponent get his arm around your head in the first place, and to get on your side (facing him) ASAP. Once you are on your side, We were shown to use a "hair combing" arm movement, sweeping your hand along your head, as if you were brushing your hair back. With your arm blocking the opponent from getting the headlock on you, you hook your top leg over the opponent's hip, and attempt to take his back or go for S-mount.

Next up was the headlock escape to knees. This assumes that the opponent was able to get around your head, but not trap your near elbow or get his knee under it. This also atarts by immediatey going to your side, facing the opponent. Start walking your legs away from the opponent (towards your back), getting your knees underneath you. You should now be in position to push forward, and knock the opponent onto his side, taking S-mount or whatever. This will buy you some time to keep the opponent from getting a shoulder lock or armbar on you right away. Get to your side turning towards the opponent, and walk your legs in towards the opponent's body.

Finally was the rolling headlock escape. This assumes that the opponent was able to trap your near elbow with his arm (or get a knee under it), and get around your head with the other arm. Instead of trying to pull your arm out, you thrust it through to his back, and grab your wrist with the other hand. Now getting your hip under the opponent's body, bridge up and try to get his weight on the arm that is under your head. Now, "tip" him forward over his head (making him do a shoulder roll, basically), and take mount or whatever. Be ready to post your arms out before he lands, so he doesn't end up trapping your arms (which were around his body), or counter-rolling you.

We also worked some standing variations.

Did a 10 minute match with of the blue belts, who basically used me like a practice dummy. I got triangled from one side, then the next. Then gi-choked from one side, then the next. AGH! Towards the last 2 minutes or so, I finally was able to offer some decent resistance, and even came this close to getting an armbar on him, although he was able to reverse me as I sat back to lock it in. I also free-rolled a light match with the instructor. I played very offensively against him, constantly threatening chokes, armbars and triangles. I was able to briefly gain side control and worked an armbar, which he was able to escape. I ended up taking his back at one point, but was unable to get a choke because he was protecting his neck. I ended up tapping out when I got my own arm stuck under me, crushing my own ribs when he started crushing me down. DOH!

He did compliment me for some good technique in that match. And I got a double promotion, from 1-stripe to 3-stripe white belt. Pretty cool! Felt nice, especially considering how bad I did at the tournament.

TOMIFT

#370017 - 05/07/08 11:14 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
Xibalba Offline

Hi Matt!

Sounds like a great class. And congrats on the promotion - I better get moving and catch up!

Keep the logs coming - I love to read them. If I had time between work, training, and taking care of 2 little kids I would log some of my own workouts. Until then, I will live through your logs vicariously

Peace,
Mike

#370018 - 05/07/08 11:22 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
Glockmeister Offline

Yeah Matt, I liked the standing variations as well. I was at the morning class and we were all like. Oh it's headlock defense day. Great for working on out califlower ears.

#370019 - 05/07/08 11:30 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: Glockmeister]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

LOL. Yeah, the ears take a beating on that. But I still think that takedown class is even worse on the ears!

#370020 - 05/07/08 11:32 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
Glockmeister Offline

Oh yeah. Those single and double leg take downs kill my ears. I am still not willing to wear one of those ear protectors though.

#370021 - 05/14/08 09:48 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: Glockmeister]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Quote:

We also did some kind of sweep ending up in mount, don't remember the name. It was similar to the omoplata, with your leg coming up under the armpit of the opponent, and driving it foward and down to to roll the opponent over. I had a hard time with it, and didn't really get it down.

It is called the "leg grab rollover sweep". It is somewhat similar to the omoplata. It involves turning underneath the oppponent, and hooking under his armpit with your foot, and driving his head forward. Important to trap the opponent's far side arm so he can not post. Also important to roll the opponent forward over his head (ie; parallel to his spine, not perpendicular to it), and not sideways across his body, where he could post his leg out to stop the push.

Feeling a bit more comfortable with that sweep now - at least in drills. Haven't used it in free-rolling yet.

Did OK in free-rolling with one of the blue belts. I managed to get dominant position a few times, and even came pretty close to getting a guillotine on him. He was able to get out, and eventually tapped me out with a belly-down armbar, and later with a triangle.

Fun class. But my ribs are pretty sore today!

#370022 - 05/14/08 10:12 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Good job Matt!

One thing I've learned is that it's always fun,but it always hurts. We must be crazy....

#370023 - 05/14/08 01:17 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
Xibalba Offline

Quote:

It is called the "leg grab rollover sweep". It is somewhat similar to the omoplata. It involves turning underneath the oppponent, and hooking under his armpit with your foot, and driving his head forward. Important to trap the opponent's far side arm so he can not post. Also important to roll the opponent forward over his head (ie; parallel to his spine, not perpendicular to it), and not sideways across his body, where he could post his leg out to stop the push.

Hi Matt,

That is my favorite sweep thus far - the one I actually hit the most. I find that most people defend a basic scissor sweep pretty easily, but not all my opponents see this one coming.

One thing that always bogs me down is the names of techniques. I would not have known what to call that sweep to save my life, but I would know it if I saw it, or could show it to someone if need be.

We have a "training manual" at my school, listing the techniques required for each rank. The hardest part for me is to remember what the technique is by written name alone. If I see it once I remember it, but tell me to do a "leg grab rollover sweep" and I will probably stare like a deer in headlights.

Peace,
Mike

#370024 - 05/14/08 01:39 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: Xibalba]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

LOL. I am familiar with the "deer in headlights" look. I never remember the names to most of these damn things.

I did forget to mention the "leg grab" part of the sweep involves grabbing the opponent's ankle with the near hand (assuming he is posting up on that foot, in reach). This helps you to turn and pull your self under him, aligning your leg for the hook under his armpit/over the shoulder. As you throw the leg down, you lift his leg over your body in the same direction his head is going.

#370025 - 05/21/08 10:25 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Last night's class started with the bridging escape. This is the fundamental escape used when the opponent is mounted. One side of the opponent's body must be trapped off - securing an arm and hooking over his ankle on the same side with your foot. Trapping the ankle keeps the opponent from posting his foot when you roll. Once trapped, you raise ("bridge") your hips up to throw the opponent's weight forward. This help to keep him from posting out with his free hand to the side that you roll towards. With his weight forward, now roll to the side you have trapped off, and end in his guard.

This sets up the single leg guard pass. Start with good posture (back straight, hands in front of the plane of your face), using one hand at the belt line to control the opponent's hips. Slide your knee (same side as the hand you have controlling his hips) against his tailbone, and post your other foot out beside or behind you. Your foot should not be any further forward than 3:00 as you are facing 12:00, otherwise the opponent will be able to grab it. Leaving your one hand in his hip, take the other and place it on the inside part of his thigh, near his knee. Turn your upper body back away to face the leg you are pushing against, and "sit back" against the other one. This allows you to push against the leg like a bench press - very strong. His guard should break. At this point, you can either slide your arm underneath his leg, getting it up on your shoulder to do a tight "stacking" pass to side control, or push his leg down to the floor and slide your knee over his leg to pass between his legs.

We then worked a circuit drill. Starting with top guy in the bottom guy's guard, top guy breaks it open to pass to side control. Top guy then goes to mount, where the bottom guy traps his arm and ankle to set up the bridging escape, rolling over into the (now) bottom guy's guard. Rinse and repeat several rounds with increasing resistance.

Rolled 3 sessions with one of the blue belts, who tapped me out 3 times. Almost blacked me out completely with a collar choke. Good thing I tapped in time! Wasn't too happy with my performance, although I got a nice double leg takedown on him, and passed his guard once or twice. Meh.

#370026 - 05/21/08 03:15 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
Xibalba Offline

Hi Matt!

As usual, love the log.

That flow drill you describe is great - I like when we warm up for class with it rather than mindless calisthenics, as pushups and squats do not mimic the moves you do when rolling.

I picked up a little tip a few months ago re: guard passing when training in California - when posturing up in someone's guard, tilt your hip cradle slightly forward so that the small of your back is flat (NOT arching the small of your back or rounding your back - just creating that neutral position). This creates the most stable structure, and allows you to resist your opponent pulling you back into them with minimal effort. I was rolling with someone in CA a few months ago, and every time I tried to posture up to pass, he grabbed my lapels and down I went. He showed me this little trick with my hips, and then I could let him hang off my gi lapels all day without being pulled off base .

The counter to this, from the bottom, is to then change your angle of attack. If my opponent is postured up and I cannot break his structure by pulling him straight down, I shift my hips to the side and pull him from that angle. He cannot have good "base" in more than one direction at a time, so I just find the angle from which he is least stable.

Just my 0.02.

Thanks again for the log, Matt!
Peace,
Mike

#370027 - 05/21/08 07:16 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: Xibalba]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Thanks for the tips, Mike. I will try them out at the next class.

*takes deep breath*

*takes another*

Ok guys, here is video from my second match at the tourney. All the world is now witness to my suckage. I am in the white gi top:

http://www.youtube.com/user/skeen267#p/u/3/KLj71j2kKtc

or here:

http://www.motionbox.com/videos/ee9dddb01610e064

eek

#370028 - 05/21/08 09:36 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

What sucked about that? Your double leg sweep from the bottom was awesome, then you moved into side control, then you got swept, big deal, you did great! For most of the match you were in control!! The guy just got lucky with the armbar.

Great job of getting out there and training and thanks for posting the video!!

Be cool brother!!

p.s. if you think you are going to see my judo tournament you are sadly mistaken, that was suckage.

#370029 - 05/23/08 10:26 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Had some fun during free-rolling. We started off with some regular gi-stuff. I tried working some different escapes from the bottom, including rolling out from being stacked, and "going out the back door" from someone trying to take my back. Both worked fairly well. I also got caught in a triangle, and tried a "3 point shell" defense against it. This is basically just putting your hand on top of your head to create a bit of space around your neck so you can breathe. It worked very well, allowing me to get to my feet and break the hold, although my partner's triangle was so strong that he crushed my bicep somehow. Very sore today!

He did end up tapping me out with something else later, though.

We then rolled a no-gi match. Did Ok, although I ended up getting caught in an armbar at the end.

Then we did some rare stand-up kicky-punchy stuff. Did a bit better with that!

#370030 - 05/23/08 10:42 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
Xibalba Offline

Quote:

Then we did some rare stand-up kicky-punchy stuff. Did a bit better with that!

Hi Matt,

Just curious as to what kind of 'kicky-punchy' stuff you did in your BJJ class? We have done a fair bit of standing self-defense, as well as some kicks from a grounded position, but nothing I would call 'kicky-punchy' .

Thanks,
Mike

#370031 - 05/23/08 11:02 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: Xibalba]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

This was regular stand-up sparring after the BJJ class. Not related to the class material at all. I saw one of the guys shadow-sparring while waiting for another guy to finish rolling, so I said (half-joking) "Want to do some stand-up?"

So we did. He had done some Tang Soo Do and kickboxing before, and he knew I had done AKK. It was just for fun.

The BJJ instructor is also a Hapkido instructor, so he didn't care.

#370032 - 05/23/08 01:03 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
Xibalba Offline

Hi Matt,

That sounds cool. I did something similar a couple of times last summer before class with another student.

My BJJ instructor teaches a whole bunch of other arts at his school (kali, muay thai, MMA classes), but no TMA (although he initially started his MA career with Isshinryu). When I told him that I was making a transition from doing TSD to just doing BJJ, he said "you had better practice those katas, though. Katas are the heart of your TSD." Pretty cool attitude for a BJJ/MMA instructor .

Peace,
Mike

#370033 - 06/04/08 10:35 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: Xibalba]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

We were also shown another armbar variation. This involves posting a hand on the collarbone of the opponent, then pulling his arm across the body with your other hand. Once the arm is across the body, you slide a knee up under his shoulder (back side) so he can't bring the arm back down. You can either pull his arm up, and slide other other foot under his arm (front side) to set up the armbar, or you can pin his arm to the floor, and set up the armbar that way.

Tried the side control escape and the armbar escape from this thread :

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...a1#Post16002586

Neither one worked for me.

I wasn't able to turn my arm over in the armbar escape, so I got about halfway around to my stomach and had to tap. Wasn't sure what I was doing wrong with the side-control escape, but simply couldn't move the guy's head far enough away to get my leg over.

Rolled with another guy who attempted a cross-collar choke. No problem, as I tucked my chin down tightly, there was no chance of the choke. He simply pulled the choke across my face so hard, I thought my jaw was going to break, and had to tap anyway.

Never had anyone even come close to breaking my jaw before from that! It is still sore today. That guy is gorilla strong.

#370034 - 06/04/08 01:54 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Is that guy the same weight?

I know it sucks rolling with people who outweigh me by so much. Makes me better though!

#370035 - 06/04/08 02:08 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: BrianS]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

The jawbreaker is probably about 20-25 lbs (11.5 kg) heavier than me. Very muscular.

#370036 - 06/04/08 02:12 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Yes, but is he taller? sorry....

Just keep at it and try to keep the injuries to a minimum.

#370037 - 06/04/08 02:30 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: BrianS]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Quote:

Yes, but is he taller? sorry....

#370038 - 06/11/08 10:42 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Last night's class started with the Back sweep. This is a good one to use if the opponent stands up out of your guard. As the opponent stand up, maintain a tight guard until he drags you underneath him. Hook the back of his ankles with your hands as you release your legs, dropping your shoulders to the ground as you bring your knees together. Your legs should now be resting on top of his thighs, near his hips. Now, pull on his ankles as you thrust your feet forward and then down. The opponent should go right over. For those that have seen my tournament video, this was the sweep that I did there, FWIW.

Ideally, you should release your grip as the opponent is falling, and follow him over, ending up in mount. I have a hard time with that still.

Next was the Front sweep. This is for when the opponent stands up, but leans over you trying to pin or stack. After getting a grip on his elbows, release your guard and put your feet on his hips, and start to stretch him out. Many times, the opponent's reaction will be to push in and re-establish the stack or pin. As he comes forward, pull him forward and down as you elevate his hips, getting his feet off the ground. Now (having already isolated his elbows to make it difficult for him to post out), roll back over one of your shoulders, ending in mount. The key is to roll tightly, not kicking the opponent off you. If there is any space during the roll, the opponent will be able to escape the mount.

Last was the cross-lapel choke from mount. Mount is actually not one of my favorite positions to work submissions from, as it is hard to stay balanced when doing them. The choke works by taking one hand across the opponent's body, to the opposite side lapel (ex: your left hand to opponent's left lapel). The hand grabs palm up. Your other hand goes on the same side, behind his head, grabbing his collar with your thunb in, palm down. Now quickly loop your elbow to the opposite side, going behind his head, ending with your arms crossed in front of his neck. Lean your head down, while pulling your arms to your chest to complete the choke.

My instructor gave us a good tip about using our knee to load one side of the opponent's chest when leaning over to set up the choke. It did make it more difficult to escape from underneath when the top guy did that. It also help with balance, since you can come up on the ball of the foot as you lay your knee against the opponent's chest. This allows you to post out on that foot, in case the opponent tries to sweep you to that side.

He also gave us a good tip about "curling" your arm (to drive your elbow in the opponent's chest), when doing lapel chokes. Very uncomfortable for the guy on the bottom. It does help raise the opponent's head, to facilitate going for the back of his gi.

Did OK with the active drills, focusing on standing guard passes this time.

Rolled with one of the other white belts, where I was "Johnny Foul" (unintentional, LOL) for the first match. Got an OK double leg takedown on him right away, but ended up in his guard. I immediately postured up, sitting back, and went to combat base (one knee up, between his legs). Except I ended up catching him in the sack as I brought my knee up. DOH! After profuse apologies on my part, we resumed the match. I was later able to catch him in what I thought was a guillotine, while in his half-guard. Turns out it was more like a neck-crank, and he was a bit stiff and sore from that.

We also had some od the more experienced guys in class coaching us, which was pretty cool. I sometimes will get dominant positions, and then blank out, not knowing what to do next. So, it was helpful to have someone yelling "UNDERHOOK! PULL HIS HEAD DOWN!" Etc. We did a lot of reversals on each other, LOL. Fun stuff. Felt almost like being in a cagematch.

#370039 - 06/18/08 10:49 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

We also worked a mount to back drill, letting the opponent turn under you in progressive stages, catching him in S-mount, then taking his back as he turned. We then did an active drill keeping the back mount. After getting an over/under grip with the hands, the opponent attempts to roll and dislodge you. Very draining for the person doing the rolls! As the person on the back, sometimes you have to anticipate which way the opponent will roll, sometimes you can force them one way or the other. I crashed my neck pretty good when I turned my head the wrong way as my partner attempted to roll me off. OUCH. Luckily, no damage done, and I feel OK today.

Tried the side control escape (again) from this thread :

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...a1#Post16002586

Still didn't work for me. Must be missing something with it, but not sure what. I did successfully work underhooks with my partner, who usually crushes and taps me out quickly from side-control. Almost worked the Gracie roll-to-back-mount from north/south position. Scared the top guy enough that I was able to get a sweep and take top position myself.

Was able to get a real nice upa against one of the blue belts, and rolled out of an RNC/bodylock combo that he tried.

Got several compliments on my defense, so that was nice. Still need to work my subs and offensive attempts a lot more, though. Good class overall - and I almost didn't go because my stomach was not in agreement at all.

#370040 - 06/25/08 09:50 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Class ran over somewhat, so it cut into free-rolling time a bit. I did get a chance to roll with one of the blue-belts. Worked my takedown defense better than I have been, making him take about a full minute to get me down. He normally is able to take me to the ground very quickly. I nearly caught him in a kimura, but he kept me from locking my lower body enough to finish it. I was actually able to pull off the "Renzo sweep" (what others may know as an "alligator roll") from bottom north/south position. It worked well, although I ended up getting caught in a triangle anyway.

Also rolled one of the heavyweight white belts. Ex-wrestler who outweighs me by about 100 pounds, he pwned me pretty bad. I did fairly well for the first minute or so, getting and re-establishing open guard, trying for sweeps, etc.......but just couldn't quite get anything to work. Almost caught him with a double-leg takedown, but he was just able to sprawl out, forcing me to turtle under his gigantitude. He ended up catching me with an Ezekiel (sp?) choke.

Had a small conceptual breakthrough. I am now able to connect the spins that I use in stand-up to spins and rolls (like the Renzo sweep) on the ground. I have always understood intellectually that they were similar, but actually physically applying them has been a problem. But now I (physically) understand that using momentum is the same in both stand-up and groundfighting.

This does not make me an expert by any means, merely an "AH-HA!" moment that my body and mind recognized. Hopefully this will lead to less tapping out.

#370041 - 06/25/08 11:49 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

But now I (physically) understand that using momentum is the same in both stand-up and groundfighting.

Very interesting Matt.

#370042 - 06/25/08 12:09 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: medulanet]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Sounds dumb, I know.

I just mean that now my body is starting to understand the intellectual relationship. "The door has been opened". Still have a long way to go with it!

#370043 - 06/25/08 12:32 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

Sounds dumb, I know.

I just mean that now my body is starting to understand the intellectual relationship. "The door has been opened". Still have a long way to go with it!

No it doesn't Matt. There are standing grappling and ground grappling techniques and principles that are very similar in application. Such as under and overhooks.

#370044 - 06/25/08 12:51 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: medulanet]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Sure, I can agree with that. But the difference in application (as opposed to concept) can be pretty big. Changing orientation from feet-under-me to back-under-me altered my sense of momentum enough that it was a real struggle to use it the same way.

I suppose this comes naturally to some, but I am extremely unathletic/uncoordinated. Takes me years of practice to get what others can pick up in 2 classes.

#370045 - 07/02/08 10:52 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

This episode: IS THERE ANYTHING MORE TIRING THAN TAKEDOWNS?!

Answer: Not for me. We worked several one-minute rounds repping the escape, submission and takedown, with varying levels of resistance. I was almost completely blown out after doing the double-leg takedown reps. And defending them is just as tiring as doing them. Starting to feel comfortable with them, however. "Turning the corner" while "scooping" their legs in makes them work very well.

We also worked some active guard drills. I did OK from the top, not getting swept, and passing to half guard. Never quite made it all the way out, but did alright considering that the guy I was rolling with is much better than me.

Did worse from the bottom with him, as he passed my guard several times. Gotta remember to keep my knees up in butterfly guard!

Almost didn't free roll because I was tired, but went ahead and rolled 2 matches. Did pretty well with my defense. Stopped several takedown attempts by sprawling, using the whizzer, and over/underhooks. Got some nice reversals on the ground, and avoided getting submitted. Had the first guy in a crappy guillotine, but couldn't finish it. Second guy almost had me in a armbar, but I was able to pull my elbow out - by stacking on his head.

Unsettling: My right bicep injury is not getting any better. It hurts just to stretch my arm. May have to take some time off from class.

OR NOT!!!!!!!

#370046 - 07/03/08 10:15 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
BrianRVanCise Offline

Excellent Matt keep up the hard work and take care of that bicep. I finished someone with a triangle last night set up from the mount while rolling. Definately one of my favorite moves.

#370047 - 07/16/08 09:39 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Fun class. We did a lot of active drills after reviewing each of the techniques and doing some no-resistance reps. We worked the figure 4 shoulder lock with the opponent posting on the bottom guy's bicep. This forces the bottom guy to swing his upper body around, and over his head to free the arm. Otherwise, the bottom guy has a tendency to want to sit straight up, which is easy for the top guy to simply push him back down.

We then worked a drill combining the figure 4 attack with the sitting roll-over sweep, sometimes called the hip bump sweep. As you go for one technique (depending on the opponent's posture), the opponent resists, and you immediately go for the other. I was able to transistion pretty well from figure 4 to the sweep, even alternating sides when my partner posted his arm to stop the sweep on one side. I would just grab his other arm and bump the other direction, and over he went!

We then worked the guillotine in, and transitioned from figure 4 to sweep to guillotine, varying attacks depending on the partner's posture and momentum. Did pretty well with that, catching him in the guillotine a few times.

Worked position-only in free-rolling, no subs. Really trying to work on getting a feel for when to post and when to move with the opponent, as well as spins and rolls. Getting there slowly.

#370048 - 07/16/08 01:51 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Good stuff Matt, enjoy seeing what you are doing and comparing it to my previous training. Now as of last week I am doing BJJ Tuesdays/Thursday from 6:30-7:30 and will work towards the blue belt which I hope will be in less then 2 years. Will be good to compare notes.

#370049 - 07/23/08 02:11 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Last night's class focused on the head/arm triangle (sometimes called the side strangle). We worked from several positions, including scarf hold, side control, and guard. My instructor showed us a neat cartwheel transition for the scarf control postion, and a knee ride transition.

He stressed locking the figure-4 as high as possible on your shoulder, with your other arm on the back of your skull. This makes it very tight and extremely difficult for the opponent to peel off. He also stressed dropping the hips and chest forward and to the floor, when doing the choke from the top. This focuses your weight onto the choke, requiring less arm strength to make it work.

He also told us to take advantage of the opponent's normal reactions to set up the choke. For instance, when attempting the choke from guard, the opponent will usually be trying to stack you, or put a forearm in your neck. By pushing away with your legs, the opponent will often try to come back in even harder. As he does, you pass his arm between your head and his as you slide your other arm around his head to lock the choke on.

From the top, the opponent may sometimes try to "frame" his arm against your neck to keep pressure off him. As he pushes away, you suddenly release the pressure, passing his arm between you, and set the choke up.

Did some very light (no-sub) warm-up rolling with one of the blue belts. Rolled several matches with another visiting blue from another school. He had a very fluid, mobile game, rolling out of everything I tried - although I came THIS CLOSE to locking a guillotine on him. He then proceeded to land 3 or 4 different subs on me, including a clock choke. He did compliment me on my defense, noting that I avoided several other sub attempts.

He gave me some good points about not being "too heavy", not leaving one arm in, elevating hips to lock opponent's arms out, etc. Very nice guy, and good to roll with.

Good class overall, although I am extremely tired today.

#370050 - 07/27/08 07:42 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
shoveldog Offline

I always learn something when roll with somebody from another school. Wish I'd read your friend's "don't leave an arm in" reminder two days ago. Had a decent pass going this weekend in a tournament, but left an arm in just a little too long and got triangled. This guy was just a little quicker off his back than I'm used to. Always like to roll different guys, even if they tap me in a tournament.

#370051 - 08/06/08 10:56 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: shoveldog]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

We also worked another mount escape, but I don't know the technical term for it. I have heard it referred to variously as "hydraulic", "bench press" and "pop tart".

It works when the opponent is attempting to "lay heavy" on your upper body, instead of posturing up. As his weight is more towards the top, his hips and legs are lighter. The escape starts with a strong "bridge" or "buck" to left his hips up. At the top of the bridge, you let your hips drop back down, and take over holding his hips up with your arms. This creates space to let your leg (or legs, if there's enough room) get between his. Get your hooks in for butterfly guard, extend the opponent (or yourself) away, and sit up (typically using an overhook/underhook grip, head tight against his jaw).

Had a blah night in free-rolling. Did some matches with a fairly new white belt, who pretty much dominated me positionally the whole time. I came close to submitting him twice or thrice, but was never able to lock in a good enough position to do it - story of my BJJ life.

On the positive side, he never even came close to submitting me. And I did use butterfly guard pretty well to keep him off-balance. But I was mad at myself that I did not do many of the things that I wanted to work on - using the omoplata/gogoplata shin position, spinning/rolling out from underneath, hip bump sweep, etc........

My endurance and side-control escapes still need major work. Hopefully I do better next class.

#370052 - 08/06/08 11:21 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Some days are better than others. Just keep training and enjoy yourself!

#370053 - 08/06/08 01:21 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: BrianS]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Thanks for continuing to share Matt. With now doing BJJ full time instead of on and off for the last 4 years, it is nice to see many of the stuff you are doing parallels my own.

Keep rolling and just enjoy. I feel what you are saying as many times I pass by techniques that I should have done while others I try and just cannot get. Love butterfly guard and find to be the best position on the bottom. My biggest problem is I like being on the bottom and trying different armbars and such that my top game has been sacrificed.

It would be nice for one day to finally meet up and get down on the mat to roll. Maybe one day.

#370054 - 08/06/08 03:38 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
Xibalba Offline

Hi Matt,

Don't sweat it - sometimes we all have off nights, and sometimes newbies get the better of us when we think they shouldn't (remember this post of mine? http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...#Post16004740).

I usually can tap (or at least dominate positionally) most folks in class with less training time in than me. The key word here is "usually" - sometimes a new guy comes in who is so much bigger, stronger, and faster that my technique and kinesthetic (sp?) understanding of jiu-jitsu is not up to par to dealing with those attributes. This is frustrating, but I try my best to just relax and work my technique the best I know how. Eventually I will have an "ah-ha!" moment where it will all come together, and then my opponent's attributes won't mean squat. I know this, because it has happened before, and I am sure if I just keep training it will happen again .

In the meantime, recall that you are WAY better on the mat now than when you started. I am sure the Matt of today could tap the Matt of 2.5 yrs ago in 30 seconds flat .

Peace,
Mike

#370055 - 08/14/08 10:31 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: Xibalba]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Tonight's class was a review of this material:

Wow. I did even worse this class than last time. Almost feels like my training is going backwards. Very frustrating. Did everything wrong, was extremely tired and mentally unfocused. Not much else to say.

My only comfort is that I don't think I could possibly do any worse next class.

#370056 - 08/25/08 12:52 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
ToddR Offline

Matt, you are a very dedicated martial artist and I admire how you hang in there even when things aren't going your way. I wish I had more (any?) of that spirit.

Hang in there bro', you *know* you're getting better.

Todd

#370057 - 10/02/08 07:44 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: ToddR]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Quick update - on training hiatus due to back injury. Hopefully will get back to training sooner than later.

#370058 - 10/02/08 12:39 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Rest up but make sure you don't stiffen up so include some light stretching Matt. You already have a long record of training so there will be no problem for you once you decide to go back. While other with hiatus may quit, you won't so rest and get better my friend.

#370059 - 10/02/08 04:53 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: Dereck]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

Rest up but make sure you don't stiffen up so include some light stretching Matt. You already have a long record of training so there will be no problem for you once you decide to go back. While other with hiatus may quit, you won't so rest and get better my friend.

Well now I never said for sure I was going to quit... If life ever gets too much and I ever want to end it all in a blaze of glory for sure I will be going back to that BJJ club!!

Seriously though, do what you can while you can Matt. Euan Burton, a Scottish Judoka who fought in the 2008 Olympics had a blog on the BBC website. He talked about doing yoga while he was injured. He said it helped him a lot.

Rest up and get well soon.

#370060 - 04/04/09 05:07 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Been a while, but I thought I would put in an update.

RazorFoot and I just returned from a seminar at my BJJ school by Royler Gracie. We had an excellent time, and learned a lot, LOL. Royler was very relaxed and personable, with not a hint of arrogance about his style or abilities. Before the seminar even started, he walked around the room and shook hands, introducing himself to every single person there.

We started off by doing some judo-esque warmups. Moving around with collar and elbow grips, we worked a sweep drill, faking with the front foot, and the going to a reap with the back foot. The idea was not to take the opponent down, but to stay light on the feet, and keep moving.

We then went to a shoulder throw, just lifting the opponent off the ground. I completely suck at these, and Royler came over to give some pointers. But fixing those would have taken the entire damn seminar, so he did what he could, LOL. Razor did very well with those, and could have easily flipped me end-over every time.

Royler then showed us some standing guillotine defenses. The first one was when the guy has you in the guillotine, but not really cranking on you yet. Your outside hand grabs the opponent's wrist under your neck, to stop the choke. Royler then had us take our other (inside) hand, and push on the inside of the opponents outside knee (ex: your right hand to his right knee), to stop him from kneeing you in the face. You then slide your hand from the front of his to the back, grabbing. Look up and lean back, holding the opponent's leg, and he will fall, with you rolling over for mount or side control.

The next variation had the opponent cranking the guillotine. Always starting by controlling the choking wrist as above, you take your other arm (which was pushing the knee, above), and throw it over his shoulder (ex: your right arm over his left shoulder). Drop your weight against him, while rotating your body around to the same side as your arm over his shoulder. Your (ex: right) knee should end up behind his (ex: left). Now, simply push him backwards over your knee, and end in side control.

If the guy is too strong for you to get around, simply put one foot on his thigh, and climb! He will be forced to carry your entire weight high on his body, which is not easy, I assure you.

He showed us yet another variation, where your arm is over the opponent's shoulder as above, but your other hand goes under and between his legs. Get close to the opponent, feet under your hips and HEAVE, SOLDIER! Pick him up and slam him down like Rampage Jackson, LOL.

He also showed us a very cool guard-pass sweep. This starts with the opponent in your guard, with you maintaining wrist-control. He stands up, attempting to drive a knee through your guard to pass. As the guy stands up, you simply drop your guard from his hips down to the back of his knees, squeezing your knees so that his knees are squeezed together. It is important the the opponent NOT be sprawling, other wise his legs will be too far away/apart to hold with your legs. Now that he is trapped, Royler had us "bump" the legs towards us, slowly forcing the opponent on top of us, where we could then simply dump him over our head, and take mount, etc. I really like this one!

He showed us a version for if the opponent sprawls or takes a wide stance in his guard pass. This involved getting to a type of guard that I am not familiar with, similar to the X guard, getting a hook with your foot under the opponent's knee, and lifting to throw him forward over you. Hopefully Razor can give a better description of it, sorry.

Royler then showed us a side control escape. Not sure if I can describe it, but I will try. The opponent has you in side control, and he had us start with both of our hands on the same side of the opponent's body, closest to us. You start by swinging your leg (nearest to the opponent's head), up so you can grab it behind the knee (ex: your right leg to your right hand). The hand that is nearest to the opponent's head goes over and behind his head to grab behind the knee. You should end up with your leg trapping the far side of his head, and your forearm against the nearside. Your other hand, which is near his hip, reaches underneath his body, to underhook his far shoulder. The also requires you to move your head towards his hips, and actually under his stomach, to come out on the other side of his body, ending in a north-south kind of position. Keeping your hips VERY TIGHT to his near-side arm (otherwise he can escape), you take the arm that is underhooking his shoulder, and figure-4 with the arm around his neck to set the choke. Press your hips in, and get ready for the tap. This may be a Darce? Or Brabo? Something similar.

He also showed us a super-fast choke from butterfly guard. The opponent is in your butterfly guard (your feet inside of his thighs, hooking). You have cross (ex: your right to his right) collar control with one hand, and the other hand behind the opponent's head or neck. Drag the opponent's head slightly forward and down, and slide the hand you have behind the opponent's head across to your other arm, hooking it through the crook of your arm that is under the opponent's chin. Lift the elbow that is under his chin, as you drop the one behind his head, squeeze, and be ready for the opponent to tap QUICKLY. This is a wind-pipe choke, so it is instantaneous and painful. We were really careful with this one.

I was quite struck by how patient Royler was with everyone. He made it very clear that these techniques will NOT work on everyone, or everytime, and implored us to seek alternative strategies for everything. He took a number of technical questions at the end of the seminar, then patiently stayed for pictures and autographs. Including signing my copy of his book "Brazilian Jujitsu Theory and Techniques", which was given to me by my good friend BrianS. Thanks again buddy!

All in all, a great time and money well spent.

#370061 - 04/04/09 11:00 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Awesome Matt!! Glad you guys had a good time!!

So, who got to climb up onto who?

#370062 - 04/05/09 06:11 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: BrianS]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Awesome; I'm jealous. Hope Scottie is doing well. Take care.

#370063 - 04/06/09 12:00 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
Sounds very cool, indeed! Glad you had fun.

#424349 - 01/11/10 11:13 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: butterfly]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

I went to a class run by a former kenpo student of mine, who is now a BJJ brown belt. We worked some armbar variations, starting with armbar from the guard. He had us just working position, not going to actual submission, switching sides every rep. A pretty good workout in itself, LOL. He did emphasize (after securing an arm) "climbing the body", starting with the foot on one hip, locking your other leg across the opponent's shoulder, then moving the foot that was on the opponent's hip across his other shoulder (almost like you were setting up a triangle). If you lock both legs tightly down, it makes it very difficult for the opponent to escape. Shift the leg (that was originally on the opponent's hip) across his face to lock the armbar.

We then worked the armbar from mount. The instructor showed us about getting thumbs in the opponent's armpits to help lock the opponent down. He told us to wrap our arm around (outside to in) the opponent's (whichever side we wanted to take), and put that hand in the armpit, thumbs-down. The other hand goes thumb-up. This allows you to grab the opponent's gi or chest to stop them from rolling out. Hips forward and down to isolate the arm, keeping weight on the opponent. Swing your legs around to complete the armbar.

He then showed us some rolling armbar variations from back mount, which I need a lot of work on. He also showed us a regular armbar from back-mount. Starting from over-under back-control with hooks in, you isolate the arm that you have underhooked by lifting underneath with your arm. Your other arm goes over the opponent's head, so it ends up between your head and the opponent's, pressing him down and to the side. Grab his wrist with the hand you were pushing with, and secure a figure-4. Use your arm to continue to push his head down until you can get your far-side leg over his head, lean back and secure the armbar.

He showed us a a nice sweep from butterfly guard. Starting from butterfly guard with double underhooks, you lean sideways and/or straight back to unbalance the opponent, then explode your legs up to get the opponent to land on all fours. As he does, underhook one of his legs behind his knees and pull your head over to his leg. Your legs go to X-guard, crossed in front and underneath his thigh/knee area. Secure the opponent's elbow tightly in on the same side that you have his leg in the X-guard. Push his legs out to unbalance, and take your other arm and push on his armpit to roll him to the side of his trapped arm. Take side control or mount.

He then showed us a neat sweep from spider-guard (double wrist control and feet in the hips). You take one foot and hook outside the opponent's arm, and then driving it through the opponent's armpit. Now bait the opponent by bringing your other foot across and in front of the opponent's body, forcing him to pass to the open side. As he passes pull them in and roll back, taking them off the ground. Now roll to the open side, dumping them on their back, and take sidecontrol, Gnp or whatever. He then showed us a nice rolling omoplata into armbar combo from there. Very cool!

I attempted two rounds of free-rolling. I matched with another white belt, and did fairly well for the first 3 minutes or so. I avoided some sub attempts of his, and threatened an arm-triangle of my own. Reversed position on him but gassed out at the end, after he got me in side-control and crushed me down.

Did a very short round with the instructor. We started from standing, and I attempted a few sweeps and trips. He returned the favor, and we ended up clinched. I did Ok, using head control, and fishing for underhooks. He went for a fireman's carry, and I dropped for a quick single-leg attempt, which he sprawled on beautifully. He attempted to take mount, and I *almost* reversed him (think Kimbo vs Roy Nelson), but he took side-control, and I promptly gassed again, LOL. No excuses! I am really out of shape.

I am hoping to work out with him more in the future. A fun night!

#424352 - 01/11/10 01:39 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Thanks for sharing Matt. With not training for a year I miss it a lot. My plans have always been to go back and I just need to get this body into workable order and my mind focused. Sounds like you had a good time and nice to see one of your students coming back and sharing other training with you. Hope you are doing well and continue to make progress.

#424368 - 01/12/10 09:52 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: Dereck]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

Matt,Glad to hear you got back to the mat. Feels REEEEEEAAAAAAL good don't it.:)

#424371 - 01/13/10 10:30 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: oldman]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Thanks, guys. It did feel good, even with all the embarrassing huffing and puffing, LOL.

#424375 - 01/13/10 08:03 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
Xibalba Offline

Hey Matt!

Welcome back to the wonderful world of BJJ grin. It is good to hear you are training again. May your armbars be tight and your tapping be few and far between.

Peace,
Mike

#424664 - 02/01/10 01:29 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Did another class last night. We started off with some light free-rolling, starting from standing. He worked grips and setups for a while as we moved around, but I managed to keep him from getting anything for minute or two. I made a few attempts at sweeps and trips, and came up similarly dry. He finally did manage a falling throw on me, but I managed to come out on top, albeit in his guard.

He then worked the rubber guard, totally destroying any upright posture I had. I was somehow able to get out, but as I postured up, he scooted out and got back to his feet. I scrambled for a takedown, he sprawled, and I continued to press for a single-leg. I had his ankle, but he reached over and grabbed mine, threw his foot over, leaned back and was able to submit me with a half-guard guillotine!

He then showed me something he called the "stockade" position, which is basically what Brock Lesnar used to shut down Frank Mir at UFC 100, a Nelson variation, using the hand behind the opponent's head to pin their upper arm at the tricep:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/7/16/950704/ufc-100-bloody-elbow-judo-chop

My friend showed me the position from side-control, not half-guard, as Brock was doing, and it is indeed very hard to escape. Having one knee in my back, and the other knee high along my upper arm makes it really difficult for me to defend. From there, my friend took the leg that was against my upper arm and stepped over the arm that was pinned at the tricep. This now frees both of his hands for - you guessed it - a vicious neck crank. He grabbed around my head, and leaned back, getting the tap.

He worked a few variations from that position and then rubber guard, which I do not remember in enough detail to describe, except to say that they were all exceptionally painful, LOL. He showed us a nice variation of the omoplata, using the legs straight instead of bent when he rolled the opponent over. Surprisingly, this created a much tighter pin to the ground.

I did some more free-rolling at the end of class with another student, and was successful in getting top postion from takedowns several times. He was good with sweeps, and I resorted to simply stepping back and standing up when I knew they were coming. We also worked the ruber guard stuff, and threw in a few (light) hairgrabs, one of which helped me get a gogoplata, and the next one got me armbarred. :P

I was able to redeem myself with an ankle lock, which forced him to tap, and we called it a night after that. Another fun class.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga