FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 49 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
Matakiant 1
cxt 1
ergees 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#369953 - 12/06/07 08:56 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
shoveldog Offline

I hear ya. For whatever reason, I got smoked sparring last night, too.
A guy I usually do alright with tapped me three times. But now I'm psyched up for next time.

Keep the log entries coming, it's good for me to hear someone else describe a technique. It's probably good for you to type it out, too. I try to write down a technique after I learn it. I figure if I can communicate it, even in my own notes, I can remember it.

#369954 - 12/11/07 04:58 PM ! [Re: MattJ]
ToddR Offline

Loc: York, PA
Hey Matt, nice of you to post this BJJ blog and it was good seeing you up at LFMAC last Thursday (and in the daytime no less!) I'm totally with you on the takedowns training--I have less experience with takedowns than probably any other aspect of martial arts and I always get owned by wrestlers or other guys with good takedowns.

One thing I have to compliment you on though is that you really are moving well. I hadn't rolled with you in a long, long time and I remember that you used to be a lot less relaxed; I definitely need to work on that myself. YOu should be proud that you've been training BJJ now for around, what, two years? That's awesome! I wish I had stuck with it as consistently as you have the past few years. Looking forward to training with you again in the near future.

Todd

#369955 - 12/11/07 06:59 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: ToddR]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Hey, it was great seeing you again, Todd! Man you are still sharp, bro. I may be getting better, but you still pwned me pretty bad.

Yeah, coming up on 2 years in January. Good times. Taking the night off, but hope to be back in there soon.

#369956 - 12/12/07 11:34 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
ToddR Offline

Loc: York, PA
Thanks man. You are too kind. We're in the same boat my friend--we train as much as we can with limited time and resources. Wish it were different but that just ain't the hand we've been dealt lately, huh?

I'm doing my best to work with some guys in York. I have the Masterclass Grappling curriculum and there are a couple of guys interested in working some technique a few days a week. You are always welcome to join us though I know your time is limited, what with commuting from Baltimore. But, if you'd like me to let you know when we plan to get together I will include you in my e-mails if you'll send me your address.

I also hope to make it up to Mike's as much as possible. I'll probably do what you've been doing and make it up there one day a week--probably Thursday's noon class (and maybe on Tuesdays if the wife says it's okay!)

Later bud.

TR

#369957 - 12/14/07 04:04 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Didn't make it to class this week. Too much going on!

#369958 - 12/19/07 11:21 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Open-guard class last night.

We worked the open-guard hooking sweep, and the open-guard "reaping" sweep. I like the hooking sweep, which involves capturing one of the opponent's arms, hooking one of his ankles with your hand. Hook his other leg with your instep (going behind his knee or ankle), and pushing the heel of your other foot into his hip, he should go down. Follow his momentum and come up in mount.

Reaping sweep I have a hard time with. Can't seem to get the opponent stretched out enough to make the reap work. Meh.

My instructor also threw in a bit of MMA, having us work on the "upkick" from open guard, as well. One guy stood up holding a kick pad, and the guy on the bottom had to do up kicks for 30 second rounds, switching legs every round. Each cycle then switched places with the partner. Emphasis on posting on the opponent's upper thigh/hip to launch the kick. Fun stuff.

Spent the entire free-rolling time pretending I was Medulanet.

Worked standing to takedown, then going to open-guard (never was able to get mount). Anytime the opponent pulled guard on me, I stood up out of it. If I ended up pulling guard, I would disengage, scramble to my knees, and push forward out of it. Worked pretty much every time against similar skill level. Wanted to work some butterfly guard sweeps as well, but wasn't good enough about getting my hooks in.

Overall, good class. Getting more comfortable with open guard. School will be closed till after New years, for the holiday.

#369959 - 12/19/07 12:16 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Quote:

School will be closed till after New years, for the holiday.

Great strategy by the school: Allow people to be tempted over the Christmas period, wait for them to indulge themselves then start the class up again just as they being to feel the guilt.

I like the open guard- you need to be really mobile on your back, but I really like using it against strong guys who can power out of my closed guard. With an open guard it is much easier to scramble back to a neutral position, or exploit the gaps they leave you.

#369960 - 01/04/08 12:47 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: Supremor]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Attack series from guard last night.

We started with the Kimura from guard. This involves trapping one of the opponent's wrists on the ground, (ex: my right to his left) unlocking your closed guard, and "swinging" your upper body up and to 45 degrees on the elbow of the arm your grabbing his wrist with.

* Very important not to sit straight up into the opponent - he will push you right back down. That's why the 45 degree angle is used.

Your other arm swings across and over the shoulder (and on the inside of the opponent's forearm) of the arm you have trapped, ending up grabbing your own wrist Figure-4 style. At this point, you should be pushing off your opposite (far side) foot, turning yourself 90 degrees to face in to the side of your opponent. Now swing your other leg (same side as the trapped arm) over his back. Keep it pressed tightly down, trying to touch your foot to your other knee on the other side of his body - or figure 4 your legs if you can. This will keep him from escaping over your leg.
Keeping his upper arm pressed to your chest, drag his arm up (in the direction of his elbow) to get the submission.

We then worked the (don't know the technical term) forward hip-bump sweep. This is used when the opponent uses posture to lean back away from the kimura attempt above. It starts off identical to the Kimura attempt above, Instead of grabbing the opponent's wrist mirror image as above, you post that arm out behind you as you swing your other arm across and over his shoulder. Trap that arm across your body as you raise your hips up off the ground. Now, take your hip and slam it into his chest as high as possible, turning him in the direction of his trapped arm. You should end up in mount.

* Very important to post the arm BEHIND you, not off to the side.

Last was the Guillotine from guard. This also starts the same way as the others, going for the Kimura by trapping his wrist mirror-image style (my right to his left). But this time the opponent leans forward and in to stop the attempt. So, instead of trying to trap his arm, you take your other arm and wrap it over his head and around his neck. Your wrist should end up right on his windpipe. At the same time, you have to "scoot" out and away from the opponent enough to create space to get both of your arms in between you and the opponent. Take your other hand underneat the opponent's chin and grab your own wrist.

Now scoot back in and lock the guard on tight. Lean back, while expanding your chest and turning your wrist in towards the opponet's throat for the submission. Remember to "push away" with your hips as well.

* Be prepared to keep "scooting" as the opponent will be resisting the entire time.

Was very pleased with my free-rolling and active drills this class. Very effectively remembered to use my hooks in open guard work. Worked the single leg takedown effectively as well. Got an elevator sweep (Thanks for the video Aesopian!), and generally had good positional control. Was pretty good about not leaving my arms in bad position.

Attempted an armbar/omoplata series, but didn't get them. Made the guy sweat defending them, though.
I got a semi-crucifix kind of neck/spine crank on one guy.

I did get submitted once by a bicep slicer - very painful!

Wow, it's really hard to write all this cr4p out!

#369961 - 01/09/08 12:08 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Attack series from guard last night.

We started working the standard armbar from guard. Trap one of the opponent's arms, and post your foot on the same-side hip as the arm you are trapping. Pinch your knee in tight to his arm to make it difficult for him to pull it away. Push on his hip with your foot, and start to throw your other leg over his shoulders and across his neck. Keep pressure on him to keep his posture down. Remember to pull on the trapped arm as you push, and turn your body towards the opposite side of his body from the arm you have trapped (you should end up almost perpendicular to him). Now raise your hips off the ground, and take your foot off his hip. Slide your leg over the same shoulder you already have trapped. Pull the arm and lift your hips gor the submission.

Next was the triangle choke. Starts similar to the armbar. You have trapped one or both of the opponent's wrists, and are setting up for the armbar. However, the opponent pulls his arm out before you can trap it. As he pulls his arm out, keep the other one trapped. Immediately throw your leg (same side as the arm he has pulled out) over his neck, as you twist your body to that same side (ex: he pulls his right arm out, you throw your left leg over his neck, and twist to the left). Pull the opponent's opposite side arm across your body, and hook your other leg over the leg already across the opponent's neck, figure 4 style. Knees should be pinched together tightly. Squeeze your legs together for the submission. Pull the opponent's head down if neccesary.

We also did some kend of sweep ending up in mount, don't remember the name. It was similar to the omoplata, with your leg coming up under the armpit of the opponent, and driving it foward and down to to roll the opponent over. I had a hard time with it, and didn't really get it down.

I just kept ending up in omoplata position instead of mount.

Did a few sessions of limited and free-rolling. I am starting to figure out that I totally suck at escaping side-control. Woof. One guy tapped me out twice in 5 minutes from side-control. I did defend well using open-guard against one guy, and got 3 submissions in a 5 minute round against another.

Overall, a good class, but I see I really need to get my side-control defenses much better - pathetic right now.

#369962 - 01/09/08 02:14 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA
MattJ, does your dojo teach underhooks? In half guard and side mount that should be the first thing you go for. Actually, it can be easier to escape from side mount because your legs and hips are free. This is where wrestling skill really helps.

Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga