FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Today at 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#369943 - 11/21/07 11:47 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: Dereck]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Speaking of tree up....I remember using the term "branch-up" from years ago during the Filipino martial arts training that I had. Branch down, branch up, branch out were pretty common to us back in the day although I never heard many others referring to those terms either.

-John

#369944 - 11/21/07 11:50 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: Dereck]
shills11 Offline

Loc: Glasgow Scotland
There was a sparring class last week after the technique class where we do 6 10 min rounds and I got tapped out by a blue belt 6 times in 10 mins with a different submission every time. that filled me with confidence for the next round.

#369945 - 11/21/07 11:52 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: Dereck]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

Good stuff Matt, I'm envious but I should get back to this shortly myself. I see you used the "Tree-Up" term, do you us this is class? I just assumed it was a term that we only used.

No, don't really use it that often. But I know other folks have different terms for it, so I figured I'd try to be open with the terminology.

#369946 - 11/21/07 03:07 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

LOL. I just realized that I didn't do anything from last week's lesson about staying in the mount.

I also meant to try the diagonal stabilization in mount, where you grab the opponent's arm between his shoulder and elbow, then grab around his knee/thigh area on the opposite side. Pulling up on both will help to limit the opponent's ability to roll you. So I've heard, anyway.

#369947 - 11/21/07 03:08 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Cool and thanks. I was under the assumption that the "Tree-Up" for the Americana and the "Tree-Down" for the Kimura were just something we used but nice to see that others may use this terminology as well. In my tournament in April of 2006 I used the "Tree-Up" to win one of the matches. I have to admit in class I over-used the technique and people got wise of me using it. It used to be a staple but isn't any more; though I should throw it out there again to see who bites.

#369948 - 11/21/07 03:32 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: Dereck]
shoveldog Offline

My instructor routinely uses "branch up" for americana and "branch down" for kimura. I think those terms are pretty common.

#369949 - 11/27/07 08:27 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: shoveldog]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

bump

#369950 - 11/28/07 01:38 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Takedown and breakfall class last night.

Bleh. Probably my least favorite aspect of grappling training. Not only am I unfamiliar with many of the techniques, my approaching-40-year-old knees and hips do not care for the practice, either.

We started with front and back rolls on both sides. Those I can do OK, having done those frequently in AKK and JKD.

Side falls.......meh. Can keep myself from getting killed, but that's about it. Need work on those.

Low single leg takedown - I like this one, and as long as I don't think about it, I can do it fluidly. If I stop to try to think about what knee goes down (mirror image to the opponent ie; my right to his left) and what arm goes down (opposite arm to the knee that goes down), I get paralyzed.

High single leg - I like this one, too. Provided that I can get in range, this is a good one. Getting under the opponent's knee while ramming them backwards is key to getting thier weight off the leg you are trying to pick up. I had a bit of trouble remembering to trap their leg between mine before using the side of my head to push them down.

Standing double leg - I know a version of this move already. My instructor showed a variation which caused me utter paralysis with this move. After grabbing behind both opponent's knees, you jam your hips forward, and tilt the opponent over your shoulders, as you turn into them almost 180 degrees. I have trouble with my hips, and popped something while trying to do the move while my instructor watched. Very embarrassing!

I am used to just grabbing the knees, and spinning around to knock them down. The "lifting" was very foreign to me.

The class ended up running 20 minutes over into our free-rolling time, so I only had time for one match. I ended up paired with a 300lb ex-wrestler. Very nice guy who took it very easy on me, allowing me to work some positions and open-guard stuff before finally getting bored, crushing me with a grapevine, and choking me out.

Very tired today, despite not seeming like a "hard" class.

#369951 - 11/29/07 07:24 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southend, Essex, UK
Quote:

Very tired today, despite not seeming like a "hard" class.

Ain't that always the way. I often find that when you do an intense class it's in short bursts with big rests. When you slow things down and work technique you end up moving constantly, sweating 20 gallons of fluid and blowing like a whale at the end of the session! Bloody sneaky these instructors at times!

Sounds like great fun though mate. BJJ is definitely something I'm going to give ago when my schedule calms down a bit. Keep up the log mate, great reading!

#369952 - 12/06/07 07:56 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Today's class worked on escaping side control, kimura from side control, and the double leg takedown.

The escape was the "side control escape to the knees". This involves "bumping" the opponent up, and underhooking across to the opponent's opposite arm, (ie; your right arm underhooks his right arm). Next, shifting your legs away from the opponent, who is blocking your hip (so you can't roll into them). As you shift your legs away, you roll to your stomach, and try to grab behind the opponent's legs while drawing your knees up to your elbows. This position sets up the double-leg takedown.

With the opponent's legs trapped, you put your head to the outside of his body, extend your (same side) leg to the side, and push sideways into the opponent. "Pushing your ear to the mat" will usually get the opponent over, especially if the attempt to put weight on you - the slight turn into them will dump them right into the spot where you were. From there, you can try to gain side control or mount.

The kimura from side-control starts by isolating the opponent's far arm, pushing it down so that your "bottom" arm (closest to his hip) traps his wrist on the ground, palm down, near his hip. Your other arm goes over his head, then under and through his armpit, grabbing your own wrist.

The submission works by dragging the arm towards the direction of his elbow (in this case, towards his head). With the arm trapped, you sit out facing his head, bringing your top (rear?) leg through, so that the inside of your knee presses down on his head. This prevents him from sitting up out of the lock. Now, keeping his wrist pinned to the ground, raise his elbow while pulling the arm to his head.

We then did some sparring drills. 2 minute rounds with your partner, one person starts in side control, with the goal of submitting the bottom guy. Bottom guy has to get to his knees or pull guard.

I did horrible at the drills today. I was simply not "on" whatsoever, getting winded and forgetting pretty much everything under resistance. Very frustating.

Managed to get through the drills, but strained my neck painfully about 4 minutes into the first round. Also dealing with an (unrelated weight lifting) injury to my left wrist.

Frustrated, gassed, and sore, I called it quits there and went home. One of the classes I would rather forget about, but that's sometimes how practice goes. Hopefully my neck and wrist are better before the next class on Tuesday.

Woof.

Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga