FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 26 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
futsaowingchun 2
ergees 2
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
Yesterday at 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35584 Topics
432513 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 13 of 14 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#370053 - 08/06/08 01:21 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: BrianS]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Thanks for continuing to share Matt. With now doing BJJ full time instead of on and off for the last 4 years, it is nice to see many of the stuff you are doing parallels my own.

Keep rolling and just enjoy. I feel what you are saying as many times I pass by techniques that I should have done while others I try and just cannot get. Love butterfly guard and find to be the best position on the bottom. My biggest problem is I like being on the bottom and trying different armbars and such that my top game has been sacrificed.

It would be nice for one day to finally meet up and get down on the mat to roll. Maybe one day.

#370054 - 08/06/08 03:38 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
Xibalba Offline

Loc: Lansing, MI, USA
Hi Matt,

Don't sweat it - sometimes we all have off nights, and sometimes newbies get the better of us when we think they shouldn't (remember this post of mine? http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...#Post16004740).

I usually can tap (or at least dominate positionally) most folks in class with less training time in than me. The key word here is "usually" - sometimes a new guy comes in who is so much bigger, stronger, and faster that my technique and kinesthetic (sp?) understanding of jiu-jitsu is not up to par to dealing with those attributes. This is frustrating, but I try my best to just relax and work my technique the best I know how. Eventually I will have an "ah-ha!" moment where it will all come together, and then my opponent's attributes won't mean squat. I know this, because it has happened before, and I am sure if I just keep training it will happen again .

In the meantime, recall that you are WAY better on the mat now than when you started. I am sure the Matt of today could tap the Matt of 2.5 yrs ago in 30 seconds flat .

Peace,
Mike

#370055 - 08/14/08 10:31 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: Xibalba]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Tonight's class was a review of this material:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...page=0&vc=1

Wow. I did even worse this class than last time. Almost feels like my training is going backwards. Very frustrating. Did everything wrong, was extremely tired and mentally unfocused. Not much else to say.

My only comfort is that I don't think I could possibly do any worse next class.

#370056 - 08/25/08 12:52 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
ToddR Offline

Loc: York, PA
Matt, you are a very dedicated martial artist and I admire how you hang in there even when things aren't going your way. I wish I had more (any?) of that spirit.

Hang in there bro', you *know* you're getting better.

Todd

#370057 - 10/02/08 07:44 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: ToddR]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Quick update - on training hiatus due to back injury. Hopefully will get back to training sooner than later.

#370058 - 10/02/08 12:39 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Rest up but make sure you don't stiffen up so include some light stretching Matt. You already have a long record of training so there will be no problem for you once you decide to go back. While other with hiatus may quit, you won't so rest and get better my friend.

#370059 - 10/02/08 04:53 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: Dereck]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

Rest up but make sure you don't stiffen up so include some light stretching Matt. You already have a long record of training so there will be no problem for you once you decide to go back. While other with hiatus may quit, you won't so rest and get better my friend.

Well now I never said for sure I was going to quit... If life ever gets too much and I ever want to end it all in a blaze of glory for sure I will be going back to that BJJ club!!

Seriously though, do what you can while you can Matt. Euan Burton, a Scottish Judoka who fought in the 2008 Olympics had a blog on the BBC website. He talked about doing yoga while he was injured. He said it helped him a lot.

Rest up and get well soon.

#370060 - 04/04/09 05:07 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Been a while, but I thought I would put in an update.

RazorFoot and I just returned from a seminar at my BJJ school by Royler Gracie. We had an excellent time, and learned a lot, LOL. Royler was very relaxed and personable, with not a hint of arrogance about his style or abilities. Before the seminar even started, he walked around the room and shook hands, introducing himself to every single person there.

We started off by doing some judo-esque warmups. Moving around with collar and elbow grips, we worked a sweep drill, faking with the front foot, and the going to a reap with the back foot. The idea was not to take the opponent down, but to stay light on the feet, and keep moving.

We then went to a shoulder throw, just lifting the opponent off the ground. I completely suck at these, and Royler came over to give some pointers. But fixing those would have taken the entire damn seminar, so he did what he could, LOL. Razor did very well with those, and could have easily flipped me end-over every time.

Royler then showed us some standing guillotine defenses. The first one was when the guy has you in the guillotine, but not really cranking on you yet. Your outside hand grabs the opponent's wrist under your neck, to stop the choke. Royler then had us take our other (inside) hand, and push on the inside of the opponents outside knee (ex: your right hand to his right knee), to stop him from kneeing you in the face. You then slide your hand from the front of his to the back, grabbing. Look up and lean back, holding the opponent's leg, and he will fall, with you rolling over for mount or side control.

The next variation had the opponent cranking the guillotine. Always starting by controlling the choking wrist as above, you take your other arm (which was pushing the knee, above), and throw it over his shoulder (ex: your right arm over his left shoulder). Drop your weight against him, while rotating your body around to the same side as your arm over his shoulder. Your (ex: right) knee should end up behind his (ex: left). Now, simply push him backwards over your knee, and end in side control.

If the guy is too strong for you to get around, simply put one foot on his thigh, and climb! He will be forced to carry your entire weight high on his body, which is not easy, I assure you.

He showed us yet another variation, where your arm is over the opponent's shoulder as above, but your other hand goes under and between his legs. Get close to the opponent, feet under your hips and HEAVE, SOLDIER! Pick him up and slam him down like Rampage Jackson, LOL.

He also showed us a very cool guard-pass sweep. This starts with the opponent in your guard, with you maintaining wrist-control. He stands up, attempting to drive a knee through your guard to pass. As the guy stands up, you simply drop your guard from his hips down to the back of his knees, squeezing your knees so that his knees are squeezed together. It is important the the opponent NOT be sprawling, other wise his legs will be too far away/apart to hold with your legs. Now that he is trapped, Royler had us "bump" the legs towards us, slowly forcing the opponent on top of us, where we could then simply dump him over our head, and take mount, etc. I really like this one!

He showed us a version for if the opponent sprawls or takes a wide stance in his guard pass. This involved getting to a type of guard that I am not familiar with, similar to the X guard, getting a hook with your foot under the opponent's knee, and lifting to throw him forward over you. Hopefully Razor can give a better description of it, sorry.

Royler then showed us a side control escape. Not sure if I can describe it, but I will try. The opponent has you in side control, and he had us start with both of our hands on the same side of the opponent's body, closest to us. You start by swinging your leg (nearest to the opponent's head), up so you can grab it behind the knee (ex: your right leg to your right hand). The hand that is nearest to the opponent's head goes over and behind his head to grab behind the knee. You should end up with your leg trapping the far side of his head, and your forearm against the nearside. Your other hand, which is near his hip, reaches underneath his body, to underhook his far shoulder. The also requires you to move your head towards his hips, and actually under his stomach, to come out on the other side of his body, ending in a north-south kind of position. Keeping your hips VERY TIGHT to his near-side arm (otherwise he can escape), you take the arm that is underhooking his shoulder, and figure-4 with the arm around his neck to set the choke. Press your hips in, and get ready for the tap. This may be a Darce? Or Brabo? Something similar.

He also showed us a super-fast choke from butterfly guard. The opponent is in your butterfly guard (your feet inside of his thighs, hooking). You have cross (ex: your right to his right) collar control with one hand, and the other hand behind the opponent's head or neck. Drag the opponent's head slightly forward and down, and slide the hand you have behind the opponent's head across to your other arm, hooking it through the crook of your arm that is under the opponent's chin. Lift the elbow that is under his chin, as you drop the one behind his head, squeeze, and be ready for the opponent to tap QUICKLY. This is a wind-pipe choke, so it is instantaneous and painful. We were really careful with this one.

I was quite struck by how patient Royler was with everyone. He made it very clear that these techniques will NOT work on everyone, or everytime, and implored us to seek alternative strategies for everything. He took a number of technical questions at the end of the seminar, then patiently stayed for pictures and autographs. Including signing my copy of his book "Brazilian Jujitsu Theory and Techniques", which was given to me by my good friend BrianS. Thanks again buddy!

All in all, a great time and money well spent.

#370061 - 04/04/09 11:00 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Awesome Matt!! Glad you guys had a good time!!

So, who got to climb up onto who?

#370062 - 04/05/09 06:11 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: BrianS]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Awesome; I'm jealous. Hope Scottie is doing well. Take care.

Page 13 of 14 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga