FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
1 registered (MattJ), 67 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
Dobbersky 2
royal 2
cxt 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
Today at 06:52 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432377 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 12 of 14 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#370043 - 06/25/08 12:32 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA
Quote:

Sounds dumb, I know.

I just mean that now my body is starting to understand the intellectual relationship. "The door has been opened". Still have a long way to go with it!

No it doesn't Matt. There are standing grappling and ground grappling techniques and principles that are very similar in application. Such as under and overhooks.

#370044 - 06/25/08 12:51 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: medulanet]
MattJ Online   happy
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Sure, I can agree with that. But the difference in application (as opposed to concept) can be pretty big. Changing orientation from feet-under-me to back-under-me altered my sense of momentum enough that it was a real struggle to use it the same way.

I suppose this comes naturally to some, but I am extremely unathletic/uncoordinated. Takes me years of practice to get what others can pick up in 2 classes.

#370045 - 07/02/08 10:52 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Online   happy
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Last night's class was a review of this material:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...page=0&vc=1

This episode: IS THERE ANYTHING MORE TIRING THAN TAKEDOWNS?!

Answer: Not for me. We worked several one-minute rounds repping the escape, submission and takedown, with varying levels of resistance. I was almost completely blown out after doing the double-leg takedown reps. And defending them is just as tiring as doing them. Starting to feel comfortable with them, however. "Turning the corner" while "scooping" their legs in makes them work very well.

We also worked some active guard drills. I did OK from the top, not getting swept, and passing to half guard. Never quite made it all the way out, but did alright considering that the guy I was rolling with is much better than me.

Did worse from the bottom with him, as he passed my guard several times. Gotta remember to keep my knees up in butterfly guard!

Almost didn't free roll because I was tired, but went ahead and rolled 2 matches. Did pretty well with my defense. Stopped several takedown attempts by sprawling, using the whizzer, and over/underhooks. Got some nice reversals on the ground, and avoided getting submitted. Had the first guy in a crappy guillotine, but couldn't finish it. Second guy almost had me in a armbar, but I was able to pull my elbow out - by stacking on his head.

Unsettling: My right bicep injury is not getting any better. It hurts just to stretch my arm. May have to take some time off from class.

OR NOT!!!!!!!

#370046 - 07/03/08 10:15 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
BrianRVanCise Offline

Loc: Alma, Michigan
Excellent Matt keep up the hard work and take care of that bicep. I finished someone with a triangle last night set up from the mount while rolling. Definately one of my favorite moves.

#370047 - 07/16/08 09:39 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Online   happy
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Fun class. We did a lot of active drills after reviewing each of the techniques and doing some no-resistance reps. We worked the figure 4 shoulder lock with the opponent posting on the bottom guy's bicep. This forces the bottom guy to swing his upper body around, and over his head to free the arm. Otherwise, the bottom guy has a tendency to want to sit straight up, which is easy for the top guy to simply push him back down.

We then worked a drill combining the figure 4 attack with the sitting roll-over sweep, sometimes called the hip bump sweep. As you go for one technique (depending on the opponent's posture), the opponent resists, and you immediately go for the other. I was able to transistion pretty well from figure 4 to the sweep, even alternating sides when my partner posted his arm to stop the sweep on one side. I would just grab his other arm and bump the other direction, and over he went!

We then worked the guillotine in, and transitioned from figure 4 to sweep to guillotine, varying attacks depending on the partner's posture and momentum. Did pretty well with that, catching him in the guillotine a few times.

Worked position-only in free-rolling, no subs. Really trying to work on getting a feel for when to post and when to move with the opponent, as well as spins and rolls. Getting there slowly.

#370048 - 07/16/08 01:51 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Good stuff Matt, enjoy seeing what you are doing and comparing it to my previous training. Now as of last week I am doing BJJ Tuesdays/Thursday from 6:30-7:30 and will work towards the blue belt which I hope will be in less then 2 years. Will be good to compare notes.

#370049 - 07/23/08 02:11 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Online   happy
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Last night's class focused on the head/arm triangle (sometimes called the side strangle). We worked from several positions, including scarf hold, side control, and guard. My instructor showed us a neat cartwheel transition for the scarf control postion, and a knee ride transition.

He stressed locking the figure-4 as high as possible on your shoulder, with your other arm on the back of your skull. This makes it very tight and extremely difficult for the opponent to peel off. He also stressed dropping the hips and chest forward and to the floor, when doing the choke from the top. This focuses your weight onto the choke, requiring less arm strength to make it work.

He also told us to take advantage of the opponent's normal reactions to set up the choke. For instance, when attempting the choke from guard, the opponent will usually be trying to stack you, or put a forearm in your neck. By pushing away with your legs, the opponent will often try to come back in even harder. As he does, you pass his arm between your head and his as you slide your other arm around his head to lock the choke on.

From the top, the opponent may sometimes try to "frame" his arm against your neck to keep pressure off him. As he pushes away, you suddenly release the pressure, passing his arm between you, and set the choke up.

Did some very light (no-sub) warm-up rolling with one of the blue belts. Rolled several matches with another visiting blue from another school. He had a very fluid, mobile game, rolling out of everything I tried - although I came THIS CLOSE to locking a guillotine on him. He then proceeded to land 3 or 4 different subs on me, including a clock choke. He did compliment me on my defense, noting that I avoided several other sub attempts.

He gave me some good points about not being "too heavy", not leaving one arm in, elevating hips to lock opponent's arms out, etc. Very nice guy, and good to roll with.

Good class overall, although I am extremely tired today.

#370050 - 07/27/08 07:42 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
shoveldog Offline

I always learn something when roll with somebody from another school. Wish I'd read your friend's "don't leave an arm in" reminder two days ago. Had a decent pass going this weekend in a tournament, but left an arm in just a little too long and got triangled. This guy was just a little quicker off his back than I'm used to. Always like to roll different guys, even if they tap me in a tournament.

#370051 - 08/06/08 10:56 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: shoveldog]
MattJ Online   happy
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

We also worked another mount escape, but I don't know the technical term for it. I have heard it referred to variously as "hydraulic", "bench press" and "pop tart".

It works when the opponent is attempting to "lay heavy" on your upper body, instead of posturing up. As his weight is more towards the top, his hips and legs are lighter. The escape starts with a strong "bridge" or "buck" to left his hips up. At the top of the bridge, you let your hips drop back down, and take over holding his hips up with your arms. This creates space to let your leg (or legs, if there's enough room) get between his. Get your hooks in for butterfly guard, extend the opponent (or yourself) away, and sit up (typically using an overhook/underhook grip, head tight against his jaw).

Had a blah night in free-rolling. Did some matches with a fairly new white belt, who pretty much dominated me positionally the whole time. I came close to submitting him twice or thrice, but was never able to lock in a good enough position to do it - story of my BJJ life.

On the positive side, he never even came close to submitting me. And I did use butterfly guard pretty well to keep him off-balance. But I was mad at myself that I did not do many of the things that I wanted to work on - using the omoplata/gogoplata shin position, spinning/rolling out from underneath, hip bump sweep, etc........

My endurance and side-control escapes still need major work. Hopefully I do better next class.

#370052 - 08/06/08 11:21 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Some days are better than others. Just keep training and enjoy yourself!

Page 12 of 14 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga