FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Troy7785, wakita, swisztony, Tonybb, shelly1993
22920 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Matakiant 3
AndyLA 3
Zombie Zero 1
Marcus Charles 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Victor Smith
09/28/14 07:11 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
Forum Stats
22920 Members
36 Forums
35579 Topics
432500 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#369933 - 11/14/07 01:46 PM MattJ's BJJ log
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Just thought I would create a thread to keep some random training notes on.

Last night we worked on a cross-lapel choke from mount. Mount is actually not one of my favorite positions to work submissions from, as it is hard to stay balanced when doing them. My instructor gave us a good tip about using our knee to load one side of the opponent's chest when leaning over to get a choke. It did make it more diffcult to escape from underneath when the top guy did that. It also help with balance, since you can come up on the ball of the foot as you lay your knee against the opponent's chest. This allows you to post out on that foot, in case the opponent tries to sweep you to that side.

He also gave us a good tip about "curling" your arm (to drive your elbow in the opponent's chest), when doing lapel chokes. Very uncomfortable for the guy on the bottom. It does help raise the opponent's head, to facilitate going for the back of his gi.

Successfully worked the safety position, re-aquiring butterfly guard, and some sweeps in free-rolling. Didn't get any submissions, but I was rolling with a blue belt.

Starting to get a feel for using the opponent's momentum, but still far too slow to recognize it - at least compared to my stand-up stuff.

#369934 - 11/15/07 08:39 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
shoveldog Offline

I agree with you on the balance issue. It may or may not apply to the specifics of the choke you were using, but what I think is effective is to get the bottom guy focused on the choke, switch to side control and clock around to finish. That tactic really works well when the guy tries the knee to elbow escape. As soon as he goes for it, just give up the mount, go to side control on the other side and try to finish from there. I got smoked on the bottom so many times that way when I first started at the gym I train at now. I had a pretty good knee to elbow, but they were always ready for it; they just gave up the mount and got a really tight side control which was as good or better for them than the mount. I realize now that's a pretty basic technique, but I'd never really seen it.

If my hands are in his gi for the choke when I'm on top, the best way I can defend the bridge and roll escape is to sort of ride up with the guy. Usually, when you give him that much space, he'll try the knee to elbow, and I'm ready to just give up the mount and move to side control.
All that probably means, though, is that I need more work on my top mount game.

Open Mat in 48 minutes. Yee-hah! Time to start taping all my injuries.

#369935 - 11/15/07 10:33 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: shoveldog]
BradS Offline

Also another thing to finsh that choke is to work a higher mount. Slide your knees tightly up their ribs to almost their armpits. Then place your head on the ground above theirs while pulling them up into your chest. "Fishing" your wrists for extra leverage.

I personally don't like mount unless it's for mma or points. Mount seems harder to isolate a limb compared to side mount. Plus i like to take the back which i have alot of set-ups from side mount.

#369936 - 11/15/07 10:44 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: BradS]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Hi Brad, thanks for the tip. I try to use high-mount as much as possible, although I get bucked-off in transition to subs a lot.

I am much more comfortable in sidemount or north-south. Mount (IMHO) seems like it's great for ground-n-pound, but not so much for submissions.

#369937 - 11/15/07 11:43 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
BradS Offline

if you can find material on the S mount or what we call the fatboy mount this will help stop you from getting bucked off during submission attempts plus it opens up the back.

#369938 - 11/15/07 11:54 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: BradS]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

I have seen the S-mount used to transition from front chokes/RNC's to shoulder locks, if the opponent tries to spin out from under you. Good position that I don't use often enough. Hadn't considered using it when they try to upa me, but I'll give it a shot next time. Thanks!

#369939 - 11/15/07 12:04 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
BradS Offline

next time i am around i will show you some other stuff to that helps with balance. The table top theory, and the ride'em cowboy block

#369940 - 11/17/07 07:01 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: BradS]
Rainbowtiger Offline

Loc: Maryland, USA
I know how feel Matt i have a curved spine(from sitting in my chair all the time) so im willing to bet your mount is better than mine. lol i go to mount strictly for late-match points or strikes.

These three options are pretty good:
S-Mount
Sitting Mount

You can also do what i do. Dont release your grip that got the mount. When you mount you usually have an arm behind the head right? so instead of going to the four point stance(both hands and both knees on the ground) just leave your hand there make sure you keep your body low, grip his gi/shoulder, apply shoulder pressure and keep a high mount. you believe how many chokes you'll lock up. It opens up wristlocks too. well wristlocks for me would be armbars for you.

#369941 - 11/21/07 11:00 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Last night we worked an attack series from the mount. We started with the Americana (tree-up) shoulder lock. We were shown to go to S-mount if the guy defends by grabbing his arm and rolling to his side. Keeping weight on his body and pushing down on the arm that was originally trapped for the American a attempt, you feed your other arm through HIS other arm, and grab your own shouder. This sets up the armbar, and all we needed to do was swing our back leg around his head.

If he defends the Americana attempt by not letting you get his arm down to the floor at all, you simply push his arm the opposite way (across his chest), and drop your chest behind his elbow to pin the arm. Keeping weight on his arm, you feed your hand (ex: opponent's left arm is pinned, you feed your right arm) under his neck and grab the wrist of the pinned arm, pulling it under his neck as much as possible. Now you start to "ratchet" him over onto his side by pushing his elbow while pulling his wrist further underneath his neck. Go to S-mount (keeping weight on his wrist) and feed your free hand through the crook of his arm, and set up choke or armbar.

We then did some isolation sparring drills, with top guy in mount. Top guys tries to submit, while bottom guy has to sweep or pull guard. 2 minute rounds each, switching positions each round. First cycle was with a blue belt who threw me off my mount so easily, I felt like a rag doll.

I did better working from the bottom with him, avoiding submissions and reversing postion on him.

Next cycle was with another white belt. He was pretty scrappy, and reversed position on me twice. I did submit him twice, once with Americana, once with Ezeckiel (SP?) choke.

Did two rounds of regular free-rolling. Won the first match. I gassed pretty bad in the second round. I was doing well using safety position in the guy's guard, but got tired and let my arm hang out. He went for am armbar, and I really struggled to defend. I managed to get my leg across HIS neck (don't ask, LOL), and break his hold on my arm.

Got a small cut over my eye during the second round, so called it a night after that.

#369942 - 11/21/07 11:38 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Good stuff Matt, I'm envious but I should get back to this shortly myself. I see you used the "Tree-Up" term, do you us this is class? I just assumed it was a term that we only used.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga