FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
12 minutes 30 seconds ago
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432379 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
#369649 - 11/13/07 06:09 AM Re: some karate video's for your viewing pleasure [Re: hedkikr]
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
(bits own tounge off) thanks for your opnions

#369650 - 11/13/07 10:51 AM Re: some karate video's for your viewing pleasure [Re: hedkikr]
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

actually, no i can't let that slide. your saying that a decades long student of a world famous and rekown technition is making a "fatal mistake"? sensei nishiyama is the one who, in the early days of martial arts migrition to the west was the one who spent the majority of his time learning and explaining the fine points of power generation and technique (acording to modern physical science) to his students. this is the way we do it, obvisouly wrong to your views, however the leg is ment to have that degree of bend in it to allow the hip joint to maintain a suppleness that allows for fluid power transfer from the floor to the target.. thank goodness you hold no monoply on proper body dynamics, neither do we. you do it your way for a reason, we do it our way for our reasons, next time try asking why instead of getting your ass up on that horse and telling it "like it is"

#369651 - 11/13/07 10:56 AM Re: some karate video's for your viewing pleasure [Re: Shonuff]
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

"In my opinion the videos posted show the kind of movement, technique and practice that gives Shotokan a bad name."

sensei rokah is a damn fine example of ITKF shotokan karate, i can't speak for any other organization only what i understand of the one i train.

#369652 - 11/13/07 11:50 AM Re: some karate video's for your viewing pleasure [Re: student_of_life]
hedkikr Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southern California, USA
In KATA (not in sparring or fighting) the rear leg must remain strait. This is not a matter of 1 style's opinion vs. another. It's the way Nishiyama taught.

Maybe I'll have to ask Frank Smith. ("Who" you ask? ...He's only the best fighter out of Nishiyama's camp in the '60's & '70's before tournament competition became a game of padded tag).

Back leg strait for zenkutsu-dachi...anyone else out there disagree? Look it up.

#369653 - 11/13/07 12:07 PM Re: some karate video's for your viewing pleasure [Re: hedkikr]
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

kata is kumite is kihon, to be correct. and if your asking who im asking you can quote michelle critch, a personal choice of hishiyama sensei for 3 years in a row now to rerresent traditional karate as a whole out of the entire world. she is also a world champion competerot and regularaly attands all of sensei's training camps and comps for the last 20 years. some what mroe current then the 70's eh?

our reason for having a certin degree of bend in the back leg is because with your bakc leg straight, it pulls on the hip flexor, in tuen pulling in on your lower back, causeing a foward lunbar flexion of the spine, this out ward flexion destroys power transfer between the upper and lower body, and places a huge ammount of force to the low back area, making it prone to long term damage. heving a small bend is more natural and allows your body to accept and redirect force to the proper locations that are equiped to deal with it. bend the knee a bit, just a bit. is this bend worth this kind of venom?

#369654 - 11/13/07 01:22 PM Re: some karate video's for your viewing pleasure [Re: student_of_life]
Raul Perez Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Lake Ronkonkoma, NY, USA
Is it worth the venom probably not.

comming from a system that shares similar masters in the lineage of Shotokan we keep the back leg straight in kata.

#369655 - 11/13/07 02:03 PM Re: some karate video's for your viewing pleasure [Re: student_of_life]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

yes, the backleg straight is a fundamental.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m3GHzVq-QQ

#369656 - 11/13/07 02:18 PM Re: some karate video's for your viewing pleasure [Re: student_of_life]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

"In my opinion the videos posted show the kind of movement, technique and practice that gives Shotokan a bad name."

sensei rokah is a damn fine example of ITKF shotokan karate, i can't speak for any other organization only what i understand of the one i train.

Hi
My thoughts.

If I visited your school to look at the possibilities of training and (judging by the videos) considering what would I get out of it at its present state then the
answer would be nothing apart from some pad work practice and people to hold the pads.
I donít know what rank your instructor is but I think he needs to go and train with some one of repute with a higher rank.
No disrespect but that is one of the reasons they have seminars. He might be a good sensie but he (like most people) more than likely needs guidance.The correct guidance.
Or maybe politics gets in the way of seminars?
Everything about those videos on a basic level is leaving a person wide open to getting hit and hurt.

I can remember a shotokan school where I use to train at ( not my normal style) where the instructors attended constant seminars with high ranking instructors and the teachings were passed on to us.
We could see the difference in our instructors when they returned.

Jude

#369657 - 11/13/07 02:28 PM Re: some karate video's for your viewing pleasure [Re: student_of_life]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA
I think there should always be moderation. The back leg can't be bent too much, or it will not be a front stance. However, if it is "locked" out then you are losing alot in the way of proper body dynamics to transfer relaxed power. I would say that just a bent back leg does not proper or relaxed power generation make. I say this because the videos you posted contain no relaxed power generation or fluidity at all.

#369658 - 11/13/07 02:31 PM Re: some karate video's for your viewing pleasure [Re: Raul Perez]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Is it worth the venom probably not.

comming from a system that shares similar masters in the lineage of Shotokan we keep the back leg straight in kata.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWTspBwfKwk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHBPXdszX-o
Hi

JKA kata.
legs bent or legs straight?
I suppose it differs from person to person.
I keep mine slightly bent.

Jude

Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 ... 15 16 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga