FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
1 registered (Dobbersky), 42 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 4
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
Today at 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 7 of 11 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#369497 - 09/15/08 02:19 PM Re: Fraud and the Martial Arts [Re: Raul Perez]
imperial_crane Offline

Loc: Maryland, USA
Hi Raul,

I know this is long overdue but I just read your post introduction. Yes, you make great points about fraud. Unfortunately you may incorrect concerning dojo that don't spar could be suspect as a McDojo. We do not spar in my Shorin Ryu dojo and we are definitely far from a McDojo. Just thought you would like some other feedback. We practice Yakusoku kumite but not a free spar.

Thanks.

Paul

#369498 - 09/15/08 05:44 PM Re: Fraud and the Martial Arts [Re: imperial_crane]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Could you explain yokusuku kumite?

#369499 - 09/15/08 05:47 PM Re: Fraud and the Martial Arts [Re: BrianS]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
im sure Paul will confirm and perhaps expand (maybee in the karate section), but essentially it translates to pre-arranged fighting , I add the word drills on to that.

It is your 1,2,3 step drills etc etc, and they tend to be fairly fixed in delivery of attack and defence.

www.shoshinkanuk.blogspot.com

#369500 - 11/19/08 10:17 AM Re: Fraud and the Martial Arts [Re: shoshinkan]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
A good blog on the subject. The key point being...honesty/openness of individuals on their personal training.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=423858376&blogID=448539573

#369501 - 11/20/08 11:39 AM Re: Fraud and the Martial Arts [Re: imperial_crane]
Raul Perez Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Lake Ronkonkoma, NY, USA
Quote:

Hi Raul,

I know this is long overdue but I just read your post introduction. Yes, you make great points about fraud. Unfortunately you may incorrect concerning dojo that don't spar could be suspect as a McDojo. We do not spar in my Shorin Ryu dojo and we are definitely far from a McDojo. Just thought you would like some other feedback. We practice Yakusoku kumite but not a free spar.

Thanks.

Paul

Paul,

Yakusoku Kumite is a platform to supply the practitioner with the most basic concepts of body positions and principles of fighting based on the art.

This SHOULD then lead up to light contact free sparring to test those principles and body positions in a more resistant environment. The final stage is full contact fighting to gain an understanding of how to utilize the techniques against a fully resistant opponent.

Without this progression the practitioner fails to understand or is not properly trained in true timing and the dynamics of what it feels like to get hit full force.

In my opinion without some sort of free sparring your training is not going to fully enrich you in the ability to effectively and efficiently defend yourself in a real life encounter.

Be ye McDojo or not a McDojo.

#369502 - 11/30/08 10:15 PM Re: Fraud and the Martial Arts [Re: Raul Perez]
imperial_crane Offline

Loc: Maryland, USA
Hi Raul & Jim,

Sorry but I neglect to check this forum a lot. My apologies.

Jim was right with the pre-arranged sparring idea of Yakusoku kumite. We also do a semi-free sparring (kind of hard to explain) where each pair strikes back and forth at each other while working on combinations including blocks, strikes, trappings, etc. etc. but not all out.

Raul said, "In my opinion without some sort of free sparring your training is not going to fully enrich you in the ability to effectively and efficiently defend yourself in a real life encounter." - I counter with interesting statement on your part. I never knew that a real life self defense situation was like a sparring match. The last time I got in a real fight, which was about 8 years ago, there were no rules. I was hitting hard and with no pulled punches or were either of us wearing pads or groin protectors.

Raul, in all sincerity please enlighten me on how free sparring will help me to defend myself from a beating on the streets. I don't see a connection.

Thanks.

Paul

#369503 - 11/30/08 10:53 PM Re: Fraud and the Martial Arts [Re: imperial_crane]
Ames Offline
Veteran

Quote:

The last time I got in a real fight, which was about 8 years ago, there were no rules.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, there are rules in a streetfight. They are called laws. Break them and you go to jail.

--Chris

#369504 - 12/04/08 11:19 AM Re: Fraud and the Martial Arts [Re: Ames]
Raul Perez Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Lake Ronkonkoma, NY, USA
Paul,

Your question seems to bring me more confusion based on your above post. You state that you’ve never been in a fight that “looked” like a sparring session and that the last time you were in a fight it was hard with no pulled punches and no rules. However, your preferred METHOD of training is one that consists of the MOST rules and considered probably one of the MOST passive training one could perform aside from line drills. Some how I can not make the correlation as to why you choose not to incorporate some sort of free sparring into your training based on your prior experiences.

To address your post more specifically here is how I believe free sparring adds to aid in increasing your effectiveness in a self-defense situation:

1 – Full force blows – Allowing full force blows provides the student with a more realistic feeling of what it will feel like to deliver a full force blow to an opponent and what it feels like to be hit full force from an opponent. Something you should be psychologically prepared for and fully understand in order to avoid the mental cramping and log jam that occurs when adrenaline kicks in during a real life encounter.

2 – A Moving Target – Unlike Yakusoku Kumite and like a realistic encounter your opponent will be able to move AT WILL. Being exposed to this is essential and allows the student to begin strategy on how to corner and limit mobility of an opponent to deliver full force blows.

3 – Timing and Resistance – Yokusoku Kumite does provide some timing training however there is no resistance therefore the student will be unfamiliar as to how much strength and timing would really be required to produce the technique or principal in real time against an opponent bent on taking your face off and not allowing you to fully execute your desired technique. This is essential to understand how to time techniques against someone hell bent on hurting you throwing full force techniques. This is even more important when incorporating throwing techniques.

4 – Pressure Testing Techniques – Techniques and principles of combat work great against a passive opponent. However when introduced to a resisting opponent one will realize that what worked great in Yakusoku Kumite doesn’t seem to either work or does not gain the desired result as easily as it did. This is because now this technique or principle is being utilized against an opponent who is adrenalized, resistant, scrappy and mobile. Thus rearranging your timing, strength and strategy is required to achieve the desired result.

Does sparring have rules? Yes. The amount of rules is based on the instructor’s discretion and goals he/she wants to achieve for their students. Is it more beneficial once the students achieve an understanding of the yakusoku kumite principles, absolutely in my opinion.

#369505 - 12/04/08 01:44 PM Re: Fraud and the Martial Arts [Re: Ames]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
Quote:

Quote:

The last time I got in a real fight, which was about 8 years ago, there were no rules.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, there are rules in a streetfight. They are called laws. Break them and you go to jail.

--Chris

Tell that to the guys I know walking around with bit off nose and ears!!! A lot of times a street fight is anynomus with only two people to tell the story you and he. The laws that you have mentioned are only in affect if you know or can describe the suspect (which is kinda hard to do after a tramatic conflict or concussion). I go into a street fighting thinking all bets are off no rules, break my leg before I break yours. bring some a$$ to get some.

Protected by the Law, the Law of the Fist or survival. The Law is there to protect the civil and ones that will comply, whatabout the ones that don't. I think we call them criminals they do exist.

#369506 - 12/04/08 06:51 PM Re: Fraud and the Martial Arts [Re: Neko456]
Ames Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Protected by the Law, the Law of the Fist or survival. The Law is there to protect the civil and ones that will comply, whatabout the ones that don't. I think we call them criminals they do exist

Yes, criminals, and those who attack you aren't concerned about the law. Unfortunately, if you defend yourself in a way that is (in the law's eyes) unjustified, then you will also be considered a criminal in court.

I'm not saying it's fair--it puts the defender at a disadvantage. But unfotunately, it's the way things are.
You have to do what's needed, obviously. But, imo, you also have to be aware of the potential for what you do to be held against you. Saving your ass is pointless if you overreact and maim someone and can't prove you had to--you'll end up alive, sure, but in a prison cell.

--Chris

Page 7 of 11 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga