FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
#368440 - 11/08/07 10:52 PM Re: This is worth watching. [Re: wristtwister]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

Hi Grady, can you explain the distinction between 'pressure points' and 'dim mak points' ?

thanks.

#368441 - 11/09/07 06:35 AM Re: This is worth watching. [Re: Ed_Morris]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
Ed,
knowing how skeptical you are of the entire meridian system theory of TCM and DM, I'm sure I'll just be talking to myself, but here goes...

Vital Points... locations on the body where vital organs or "complete shutdown" of the body are accomplished... such as striking the throat, groin, solar plexus, eyes... The results are immediate, and catastrophic.

Pressure point... a place where a nerve "crosses a bone" or is relatively "exposed" and available to be used to "create a desired movement"... such as the nerves in the arm can be used to effect an arm lock or pin, or pressure can be applied to cause the person to lock their hip for a throw. In some instances, such as the anterior triangle, it is a "pressure release" point, where the pain from application causes the attacker to move away.

Dim Mak points are places in the body that cause a desired effect... be it causing the attacker to get sick on their stomach, dizzy, causing organ damage, or delayed death. They can be something as simple as striking an artery to cause an embolism, or as complicated as striking point combinations to cause an organ to fail. These points are usually done in combinations or "sets" which use a "set up point" and then a "striking point"... which might be done either "one at a time, or in combination". The strikes have to be at correct angles, and either done when the meridian is "open" or else use an "opening point" to cause it to be available.

That's about all I want to say... since pressure points don't exist, it's all a fairy tale anyway... so "sleep tight" and it'll be a better day tomorrow...

#368442 - 11/09/07 06:49 AM Re: This is worth watching. [Re: wristtwister]
underdog Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mansfield, MA U.S.A.
I'll just simply add my vote that the vital points mentioned are in there in the domain of pressure points.

#368443 - 11/09/07 09:35 AM Re: This is worth watching. [Re: BrianS]
ashe_higgs Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: phoenix
that's one of the worst episodes of MBKAM. that's the kind of crap that gives CMA a bad rap. }=(

#368444 - 11/09/07 04:12 PM Re: This is worth watching. [Re: underdog]
Aeras Offline

Loc: Colorado
Quote:

I'll just simply add my vote that the vital points mentioned are in there in the domain of pressure points.

Thanks for the support underdog.

These vital areas and the pressure points mentioned ARE the same thing by the way. Differing defintions in different places in the world. The REASON they are "vital areas" and "pressure points" are because of what they do to you physically. I don't want to waste our mutual time on a silly semantics argument. Don't assume that you know everything, please.

Let me say it like this: in my style they are the same and they even have fun little names.

Also, regarding the "soloplexes" error I could blame it on the end of a 12 hour shift after being on call for 24 hours straight, but I will not. I'll just say: way to go me the RN made an anatomy spelling error .

Maybe it is time I made use of the fact that I can re-read and edit my posts before posting them.

much love everybody...

#368445 - 11/09/07 06:30 PM Re: This is worth watching. [Re: Aeras]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Being how there are many,many pressure points, a lot of them are bound to be in the domain of vital points.

I believe there is a difference between the two,but it's not worth arguing about.

#368446 - 11/09/07 07:08 PM Re: This is worth watching. [Re: ashe_higgs]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Quote:

that's one of the worst episodes of MBKAM. that's the kind of crap that gives CMA a bad rap. }=(

What are the things that give it a GOOD name?

The video however, Brian...you were joking, right?

-John

#368447 - 11/09/07 07:14 PM Re: This is worth watching. [Re: BrianS]
Aeras Offline

Loc: Colorado
Quote:

but it's not worth arguing about.

my point exactly...much love everybody.

#368448 - 11/09/07 07:53 PM Re: This is worth watching. [Re: Aeras]
underdog Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mansfield, MA U.S.A.
OK Nomenclature. One should specify if there is confusion, what one is including when one says pressure points or when one makes a distinction. Why argue with that?

#368449 - 11/09/07 11:07 PM Re: This is worth watching. [Re: underdog]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
I don't remember saying that one type of point wasn't the other... that a pressure point couldn't be a vital point or a dim mak point... I was focusing on usage more than nomenclature. Three major areas of "vital points" are the solar plexus, gastroneimus plexus and vagus nerve structure in the neck and brachial sinus... which are primary nerve bundles and primary nerves. Most of the pressure points work off the branches of those areas.

The Dim Mak "delayed effect" points work off the circulatory system and the autonomic nervous system. Many of the points which cause organ damage are related to the vagus nerve structure and it's proximity to the area struck... which is why the angle and depth of strike are important.

Without getting into a lengthy discussion, I would suggest that the reason the information was taught through kata was to teach a student how to strike at the correct angles, with the right "tool" and from the proper position to effect the strike correctly. Ed asked for an explanation of the differences in the points, and for the most part, they are application differences used for different purposes. Anybody reading more into what I said than what I said is guessing... I'm sure plenty of you out there have medical training that has a different concept of how the body works than the dim mak concepts, but the dim mak training wasn't designed to treat illnesses... it was designed and used to cause "system shutdowns" in the body... i.e., organ damage, embolisms, etc.

Unfortunately for medical science, everything isn't able to be "reverse engineered". There is "life" and there is "death", and if science had all the answers, we could dig up Albert Einstein and "reconstitute" him for more studies. If science had all the answers to why the body dies, they could "fix" it... as it is, they can "delay death" in most cases for some period of time, but not always and not consistently.

Of course there's no "raw data" on dim mak, but I would suppose that the success rate of DM strikes would be comparable to the medical professions ability to reverse it... and that would be from "finding a victim" on the street, diagnosing the condition, and then correctly treating what was wrong with them. Of course that's just supposition, but the chatter here is always that DM doesn't work, and there's no data that shows it either way... but it's an interesting study, and a pretty good set of practice skills to have... just in case they do...

Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 ... 15 16 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga