FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 1
Matakiant 1
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
#368470 - 11/11/07 08:15 PM Re: This is worth watching. [Re: MattJ]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Well, I think it is extremely bad form to be dredging up stuff from another thread and inserting it into a different thread. The only ad hominem attacks here are the ones you and Ed seem to be waging against me.

#368471 - 11/11/07 08:21 PM Re: This is worth watching. [Re: eyrie]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Of course, you're so right. I feel like a bully. Or perhaps a pregnant gorilla's a$$. I thought the point had to do with you asking for people to have "decency" and to do "research" (like asking questions on a forum?), and expecting people to actually answer, and not avoid answering or call them names.

But what do I know?

#368472 - 11/11/07 08:35 PM Re: This is worth watching. [Re: MattJ]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

I don't know what you call "research" but to me, asking a question and then twisting the answer around to attack (based on one's limited understanding of what the answer entails) is IMO, NOT research. That's being deliberately argumentative, which apparently Ed is well-known for. Why should I engage with an argumentative stance if the object is to twist it around and attack any information I provide in good faith, because the answer is not what they want to hear?

And it's OK for Ed to do so, is it? And OK for you to bring up a conversation from a different thread to attack me on another one?

AFAIK, I've answered your questions to the best of my ability. If there is something you need clarification, then perhaps you could rephrase the question and maybe I can attempt to answer it differently?

#368473 - 11/11/07 09:31 PM Re: This is worth watching. [Re: eyrie]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

And OK for you to bring up a conversation from a different thread to attack me on another one?

Interesting that you find examples of your attacks on others as an attack on yourself.

Quote:

AFAIK, I've answered your questions to the best of my ability. If there is something you need clarification, then perhaps you could rephrase the question and maybe I can attempt to answer it differently?

No thanks. You've made yourself quite clear.

Quote:

I intentionally left out a lot of information

#368474 - 11/11/07 09:38 PM Re: This is worth watching. [Re: eyrie]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

I don't think anyone has addressed my previous points. I was being serious then eyrie stepped in and attacked out of nowhere. (and I'm not sure why, since I don't think he's ever had Dim Mak training). I wasn't addressing or asking him, I was asking wristwister or anyone else who actually has Dim Mak training from a qualified instructor. I was being serious and neutral.

I have no interest in personal attacks...I joined in for conversation as to Dim Mak training methods and questions that I had specifically regarding that. I'm not looking to 'call out' anything. (more often than not, the responses call themselves out anyway) as I mentioned earlier, I tried to ask the questions with neutrality.

The only serious answer I got was in the realm of 'train with a qualified Dim Mak instructor'. which is fine, but a little strange, since if that will be the answer for anyone asking questions about their training method...then why reply at all?

it sortof makes it look like avoidance of the question....and it's funny how it seems to happen every time with these psudo-scientific topics.

#368475 - 11/11/07 09:50 PM Re: This is worth watching. [Re: Ed_Morris]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Er... you made a statement about "chi" meridians, and I gave you a reasonable response about actually training and pointed you to "musculotendinous system". I don't know what that has to do with my knowing "dim mak" or not.

If you think that was an attack, then so be it....

#368476 - 11/11/07 10:02 PM Re: This is worth watching. [Re: wristtwister]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

eyrie, yes I took it as an unprovoked attack:
Quote:

If you actually spent some time training (correctly and in the prescribed manner), you will start to feel where these "chi" meridians are. And while you're at it, look up "musculotendonous system".

Grady:
as I mentioned before the conversation was interrupted, I made the point that in training, we obviously don't go thru with dangerous techniques, like a neck crank to the point of breaking. The partner taps or indicates it's enough and it's released. I suppose it is a touch of faith that if carried out further, it could cause death....but in most cases, it's pretty obvious and very easy to imagine what damage would be done if at full.

If you compare that level of assumption, with the level of assumption needed to believe hitting a given spot will cause an organ failure after an amount of time, It seems it would take a much greater act of faith to be able to assume that.

even if a Dim Mak hit to a certain spot, hurts more than other spots - it doesn't necessarily spell certain death, organ failure or whatever the prescribed mortal outcome is claimed to be.
It's an assumed outcome.

#368477 - 11/11/07 10:36 PM Re: This is worth watching. [Re: Ed_Morris]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
Ed, I'll revisit this for a moment, and try to be neutral as well... but no promises.

Simple question: Do you think injuries or surgeries can cause organ problems? A simple read of several articles from the orthopaedic community answer that question with a resounding "yes"... because a number of orthopaedic surgeries have a history of causing organ damage, and specific injuries that they treat also cause those same types of organ damage.

Now, since the nervous system, circulatory system, lymphatic system, and musculotendonous system are responsible for movement, organ function, and general good health, why would a defined strike to a combination of specific points in the body be unable to recreate the exact problem by hitting points in those systems? The surgical protocols define the problems very clearly, which defines the procedure of surgery, in an effort to avoid cutting or causing scar tissue to prevent the problems... so why would strikes to the same points they are purposely avoiding somehow not cause the same problem simply because they are injury-related rather than surgically induced? One of the reasons that the DM techniques rely so much on the specific angles of strikes and depth of penetration is to induce the exact trauma being avoided in treating these injuries by doctors.

You have to remember that these strikes are designed to cause injury, organ damage, and circulatory problems. The anomolies of kids getting hit in the chest with a baseball and having their heart stop, while sad, are exactly the kind of effect caused by DM... and the "depth of injury" also has a lot to do with the DM attack. There are strikes that cause you to get sick on your stomach, dizzy, lethargic... many different kinds of effects. The "legend" of "death touch" isn't as far fetched as you want to believe, but like everything else that's in the public domain, there are charlatans out there and hucksters who exploit it. Those that "make their living" doing PP seminars are the last ones I'd be discussing the actual training with. The side show and the real art are miles apart. I learned that from being associated with both types of teachers through training, and it takes some time and training to sort them out. There are a lot of guys out there that can talk a good game, and know a few tricks... but in the end, they end up doing a side show rather than actually teaching DM.

That's as neutral as I can make it...

#368478 - 11/11/07 10:49 PM Re: This is worth watching. [Re: Ed_Morris]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Whatever Ed... whatever. Seems like it's OK for you to do it. And now you're acting all wounded and innocent?

#368479 - 11/11/07 11:37 PM Re: This is worth watching. [Re: wristtwister]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

since the nervous system, circulatory system, lymphatic system, and musculotendonous system are responsible for movement, organ function, and general good health, why would a defined strike to a combination of specific points in the body be unable to recreate the exact problem by hitting points in those systems?

yes, that seems reasonable, given the data to back it up. I'm assuming someone must have done that research.

so I must have misunderstood: you are using modern western anatomy to pinpoint your strikes? because I notice you don't mention 'meridians' or chi pathways in your list of systems.

last question on this, before eyrie pops something in his 'musculotendonous system':
In your opinion, would you say that the meridian system overlays and fits nicely on top of what we now know from western anatomy? in other words, if we decided to base MA targeting on modern anatomy without consideration of the meridian system...would anything be lost? in your opinion.

ok, I'll sneak one more in... is it possible to have an accidental Dim Mak death? sortof like the baseball to the chest freak accident, was that an indication of an accidental Dim Mak hit? again, in your opinion.

Page 5 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga