FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#368356 - 11/04/07 03:11 PM Pressure points in Qin-Na
underdog Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mansfield, MA U.S.A.
Pressure points are very helpful in Qin-Na and serve a purpose. I've picked up 2 good books at seminars at Yang,Jwing Ming's in Boston on the subject if anyone is looking for good resources. They include instructions and photos on how to do the techniques, the pressue points and anatomy of Qin-Na and also the training exercises and finger strengthening exercises that you need to get proficient.

They are Analysis of Shaolin Qin-Na and the other is Comprehensive Applications of Shaolin Qin-Na.

We were working Qin-Na today in my Kyusho class. The pressure point applications are pretty deep. I'm often finding new ones even for locks I'm pretty good at.

#368357 - 11/05/07 12:58 AM Re: Pressure points in Qin-Na [Re: underdog]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Pressure points are very helpful in Qin-Na and serve a purpose. I've picked up 2 good books at seminars at Yang,Jwing Ming's in Boston on the subject if anyone is looking for good resources. They include instructions and photos on how to do the techniques, the pressue points and anatomy of Qin-Na and also the training exercises and finger strengthening exercises that you need to get proficient.

They are Analysis of Shaolin Qin-Na and the other is Comprehensive Applications of Shaolin Qin-Na.

We were working Qin-Na today in my Kyusho class. The pressure point applications are pretty deep. I'm often finding new ones even for locks I'm pretty good at.

Hi

How much were the books?

Just a suggestion.
If we say started with the hand/ wrist /arm
and discussed where the points are? In relationship to muscle/ tendons/ nerves etc.

And the result of striking/ pressure or manipulation might be?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejIyjIwtHjY
At 1.06 I can see a thumb in to the wrist?

Jude

#368358 - 11/05/07 01:11 AM Re: Pressure points in Qin-Na [Re: jude33]
JAMJTX Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Fort Wayne, IN
You can find Dr Yang's books and videos here: http://www.ymaa.com/

Other interesting vids here:
http://www.martialdvd.com/shop/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=32

I always reccomend finding a good teacher. But in absence videos and books can help a lot.

The result of striking or manipulating a pressure point can vary. There can be pain, dizziness, fainting, etc. depending on where you strike and how. Although Chin Na translates to mean "seize and control", so there is not a lot of striking. It is holding, locking, etc.

#368359 - 11/05/07 01:55 AM Re: Pressure points in Qin-Na [Re: JAMJTX]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

You can find Dr Yang's books and videos here: http://www.ymaa.com/

Other interesting vids here:
http://www.martialdvd.com/shop/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=32

I always reccomend finding a good teacher. But in absence videos and books can help a lot.

The result of striking or manipulating a pressure point can vary. There can be pain, dizziness, fainting, etc. depending on where you strike and how. Although Chin Na translates to mean "seize and control", so there is not a lot of striking. It is holding, locking, etc.

I think it is Dr Jang I saw doing some good strengthening exercises. This is my point about the internal arts. Any how thanks for the links. Would you like to discuss experiences you have had using pressure points in your martial arts?

Jude

#368360 - 11/05/07 08:24 AM Re: Pressure points in Qin-Na [Re: jude33]
underdog Offline
Veteran

This will be great. As soon as I can play that clip, I'll look up what he says about the technique pointwise, in the book and comment on what works for me, sure. I'd love to discuss this. You got to play the clip. Do you know what technique he is using? He has his own nomenclature. Is this "small wrap hand"? If we discuss Dr. Yang's material, we have to give his name for the techniques plus whatever other name you want because his naming system is unique for his schools.

#368361 - 11/23/07 10:59 AM Re: Pressure points in Qin-Na [Re: jude33]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
Go figure, but a lot of what was being done in that video was Aikido as well as Chin Na. They had excellent nikkyo skills, and most of the other techniques were very ju-jitsu-ish, which most Chin Na looks like. None of it was anything that a good jujutsu or Aikido practitioner hasn't seen (other than maybe the leg-trip throw... The Aikido players wouldn't use that kind of technique normally.) A jujutsuka might actually roll that up into a leg pin.

Dr Yang's techniques are all very good, and in true Chinese fashion, very relaxed. Now that I've "peaked out" age-wise in all my ballistic arts, maybe I'll get involved in Chin Na... I need a good sedentary art to practice...

#368362 - 11/23/07 11:34 AM Re: Pressure points in Qin-Na [Re: wristtwister]
JAMJTX Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Fort Wayne, IN
I often refer to Chin Na as "Chinese Jujutsu" when people ask about it.
The "nikyo" and other 'Aikido techniques" are found in so many different styles, including Taichi and other Chinese.

There are, however, different variations which makes the styles more interesting. Dr Yang has a special way of adding some additional pain to the techniques that are common to Aikido such as the "nikyo". There are other styles that teach "finger locks" as were stressed at the Dr Yang seminar I went to. They may look the same, but again, they don't feel the same. Dr. Yang's finger locks lock the whole are up though the shoulder. Others are just bending back the fingers.

I would encourage martial artists of all styles to train with Dr Yang if they can get a chance. Although now he will be doing far fewer seminars as he gets his new CA training center established. It will still be worth going to train with any of this students.

#368363 - 11/23/07 12:00 PM Re: Pressure points in Qin-Na [Re: JAMJTX]
underdog Offline
Veteran

He still has a very large world wide network of schools. There are, for example, a couple of very good people here in Boston, at his international headquarters, to study with. I count my time at this school amongst my best spent outside of my own home school in my own art.

#368364 - 11/23/07 12:02 PM Re: Pressure points in Qin-Na [Re: underdog]
underdog Offline
Veteran

Wristtwister? Are you ever "sedate"? I actually don't think of qin na as sedate.

#368365 - 11/23/07 12:34 PM Re: Pressure points in Qin-Na [Re: underdog]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
Rosanne,
I can't feed the dogs without injuring something any more, but I'm still dumb enough to keep showing up at the dojo and training, bad back and all. The "sedate" was a joke... I do what I can until something quits working... usually, back or hips.

In Aikido class several years ago, somebody made the comment that "Mr. B seldom moves much". One of the better students we had at the time commented: "Oh, he can hardly move... the problem is, he can kill everybody in the dojo in that condition..."

Sedate means different things to different people... I mean it in a more relaxed format of training, such as the soft grabs and twist locks of Chin Na. Being thrown ballistically like I have been in Judo and Aikido over the past years isn't as appealing to my back and hips as it once was.

I do just enough karate to keep my skills up, but they're still better than most of those that are training in our school... mostly because they are learning junk. Luckily, I'm not involved to any degree in that program... or life as they know it would change dramatically. I'd have them doing all that useless punching from a horse stance, and using that "stuff that doesn't exist" in their techniques.

Maybe "sedate" was the wrong word...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga