FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 66 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MAWomanTCC, Manu, wlh001, HonestyM57, Sanda_fan
23231 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
cxt 2
liangxiaoyu123 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
New Topics
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Recent Posts
Forum Stats
23231 Members
36 Forums
35699 Topics
432768 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 7 of 24 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 23 24 >
Topic Options
#367963 - 02/03/08 10:46 PM Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log [Re: THEGENERAL]
THEGENERAL Offline

Loc: NY
02-3-08

Lower Body

I.Conventional Deadlifts
--A.10 x 210lbs.
--B.9 x 225lbs.
--C.8 x 240lbs.
--D.7 x 255lbs.

Reflection: Nice deadlift work! I was watching the Giants win as I worked out...Didn't do romanian's because I was wiped. I need to get back into better habits: start sleeping/eating more, doing cardio/abs, working out every other day, etc. From now on my habits change.

#367964 - 02/13/08 06:13 PM Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log [Re: THEGENERAL]
THEGENERAL Offline

02-3-08

Lower Body

I. Conventional Deadlifts
--A.10 x 210lbs.
--B.9 x 225lbs.
--C.8 x 240lbs.
--D.7 x 255lbs.

Comments: Tired, so didn't do romanian DL's. Need to get into better sleeping/eating habits and work out like I used to.

#367965 - 02/13/08 06:15 PM Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log [Re: THEGENERAL]
THEGENERAL Offline

02-4-08

Upper Body

I. Weighted Dips
--A.9 x 25lbs.
--B.8 x 28lbs.
--C.8 x 33lbs.
--D.8 x 35lbs.

II. Chin-Ups(supinated)
--A.10 x BW
--B.8 x BW
--C.7 x BW
--D.5 x BW

Comments: Felt as though I pulled a muscle in my back, near my shoulder blades. Played it safe and stopped.

#367966 - 02/13/08 06:18 PM Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log [Re: THEGENERAL]
THEGENERAL Offline

02-9-08

Lower Body

I. Conventional Deadlifts
--A.8 x 215lbs.
--B.8 x 230lbs.
--C.8 x 245lbs.
--D.7 x 255lbs.

Comments: Nice work on DL's. Tries lunges, but my knees felt as though they would pop. Going to find an alternative because I don't think that Romanian deadlifts are good enough. Worst comes to worst, I'll go back to doing them.

#367967 - 02/13/08 06:24 PM Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log [Re: THEGENERAL]
THEGENERAL Offline

02-12-08

Upper Body

I. Weighted Dips
--A.10 x 25lbs.
--B.9 x 30lbs.
--C.9 x 35lbs.
--D.8 x 40lbs.

II. Chin-ups(sup)
--A.9 x BW
--B.7 x BW
--C.7 x BW
--D.6 x BW

III. DB Military Press
--A.8 x 36lbs.
--B.6 x 36lbs.
--C.7 x 30lbs.

IV. Shrugs
--A.10 x 225lbs.
--B.8 x 240lbs.
--C.8 x 255lbs.

Comments: Nice workout. On last set of military press, I concentrated on not locking out and keeping my shoulder blades tight so that I would not engage my triceps and would only be using my shoulders.

BTW I took so many days off between my last upper body workout and my lower body because I hurt my hand and my back was still tight from 02-4-08. It's all good now.

#367968 - 02/14/08 11:17 PM Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log [Re: THEGENERAL]
THEGENERAL Offline

Today I noticed that my conventional deadlift form was incorrect. Since I am using a standard bar, the plates are not as big as olympic sized plates, therefore the bar is lower to the ground, which results in me rounding my upper back. Being 6'2" doesn't help the situation either...

Since I now cannot do deadlifts, and do not have a squat rack, I need a solution. I was thinking about either going to my school gym on leg days on my one day off of work a week. This plan has its flaws though, because when school is out for extended periods of time, and when I have 2 leg days a week, meaning I'd be doing one leg day on the weekend, I'd have no access to the school gym. I'm considering joining a real gym, but I'm not so sure as of now because I know that I will pretty much be doing the same routine as I am now, just with different exercises on my leg days. The accessability also changes, as I have been spoiled with the luxury of being able to work out at home whenever I please. I feel as though I can focus more by myself, but I am willing to join a gym if I have no other option. Oh, and it also costs $$$, which I've never had to pay for at my own home

Before I decide, I am going to see if I can be innovative and create some leverage with wood(?) where the plates would sit on. Please do not bash this as a "safety issue," as I know that safety comes before anything. All of my other innovations have been safe (ex. two chairs side by side for dips; they each have 95lbs. of weight on them and are very, very sturdy)

But as for now, I tried a different routine today. I did 4 sets of romanian deadlifts and then 2 sets of barbell lunges. I worked on my lunge form, and I would have done more sets, but my glutes/hamstrings were so tight that I couldn't do anymore. It really hit my legs, but I'm not sure the routine hits my quads enough. I'll post the workout tomorrow - notebook is downstairs and it's late

Suggestions???

#367969 - 02/15/08 08:57 AM Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log [Re: THEGENERAL]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

Suggestions???

To be honest, it is not the lack of olympic plates that is the problem, but the lack of flexibility in your body that is forcing your back to round out with your current set up.

If you can set up a sturdy block/platform to raise the bar, then thats fine, but make sure it is very stable, and the correct height. Another option id to widen your stance, adjust your grip, and work on sumo deadlifts as an alternative.

Outside of that, you should really look at improving your soleus, gluteus, and hamstring flexibility so that your back does not 'tuck under' no matter what ROM you are lifting through.

#367970 - 02/15/08 03:08 PM Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log [Re: Cord]
THEGENERAL Offline

Thanks, Cord. I'll try your suggestions and maybe start doing some daily stretching to get to that ROM. But in the meantime (if I can't build anything to raise the bar), should I do what I did last night, or just work on sumo DL's/wider stance on my leg days? I ask this because I think that the romanian DL's will give me more intensity/a better leg workout.

#367971 - 02/15/08 05:52 PM Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log [Re: THEGENERAL]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Romanians or sumo, once you reduce the ROM through the knee joints, you are removing workload from the legs.
i would be tempted to move on to heavy dumbell lunges instead and lay off deadlifts till you can get your rom sorted out.

#367972 - 02/15/08 06:35 PM Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log [Re: Cord]
THEGENERAL Offline

So only do heavy lunges? No other exercise? I have a leg curl on my bench that I could use if there aren't and free weight exercises you can think of...

Page 7 of 24 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 23 24 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga