FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
Matakiant 2
futsaowingchun 2
Zombie Zero 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
Yesterday at 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432495 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#367854 - 10/31/07 04:32 PM Anyone heard of this Danzan ryu style?
JoshuaMonjin Offline

Loc: Fallon, Nevada
I attended a class of this Danzan style: bushidokan
And specifically this school: koshinkan
I have no experience with any of the Danzan styles and was curious if anyone has heard anything about this specific style and school?

#367855 - 10/31/07 06:30 PM Re: Anyone heard of this Danzan ryu style? [Re: JoshuaMonjin]
JAMJTX Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Fort Wayne, IN
I used to train with a Danzan Ryu / AJJF group. I never met Prof Legue but people spoke highly of him and the Bushidokan.
I am not familiar with the Koshinkan school but I'm sure it will be a good place to train.

#367856 - 11/01/07 04:36 AM Re: Anyone heard of this Danzan ryu style? [Re: JoshuaMonjin]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danzan_Ryu

Herb LaGue is mentioned in this article under "The Bushidokan Federation" section.

I have no personal experience of the style, but I am normally sceptical of so called Ju Jutsu that "mixes and matches" from other martial arts, e.g. Robert Clark and the WJJF (Mr Clark seems to have studied little actual Ju Jutsu and uses kickboxing/combatives/judo mix and markets it as Japanese Ju Jutsu.)

In my experience in situations such as this it is less about "finding what works", its more like " I don't fully understand what it is I am claiming to teach so I will paper over the cracks with other bits and pieces".

That may be a harsh assessment I know, but it is my experience with Ju Jutsu and indeed with Ju Jutsu in Europe. It may be much the same in the USA.

Your school may be a very good school and teaches you what you are looking for. If so, keep at it!

#367857 - 11/01/07 01:15 PM Re: Anyone heard of this Danzan ryu style? [Re: Prizewriter]
JAMJTX Offline
Enthusiast

I would hardly call Danzan Ryu a "mix and match style".
DZR was not created by taking pieces from other arts to fill in where there was no understanding. Rather it is quite the opposite. It is the product of Henry Okazaki's very deep understanding.
I never tested for any rank in the style but I trained extensively at seminars and camps with some of the best people of the AJJF. I would not hesitate to reccomend Danzan Ryu training to anyone interested in Jujutsu.
Although I never met Prof Lague, as stated I know people who spoke highly of him. The web site says that he still teaches the full DZR curriculum. So there you are assured of being taught a complete, effective martial art. Beyond the DZR I have no idea what he is teaching. But I say it is worth looking into based on the merits of the Danzan Ryu and his past reputation.

#367858 - 11/02/07 06:38 PM Re: Anyone heard of this Danzan ryu style? [Re: JAMJTX]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Sorry just to clarify...

The threas isn't talking about Okazaki's Danzan JJ per se, it is talking about an off shoot formed by Herb LaGue.

For all I know LaGue could be a bonafided master of JJ, or he could be someone who learnt a tiny bit of Danzan, then filled in the gaps by learning bits and pieces of other things, then used the Danzan name for marketing purposes.

Who knows?

As I said in the beginning, if it the poster enjoys the art and it gives them what they are looking for then they should stick with it.

#367859 - 11/02/07 10:33 PM Re: Anyone heard of this Danzan ryu style? [Re: Prizewriter]
JAMJTX Offline
Enthusiast

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I thought you were referring to DZR in general.
Herb Lague is a bonafide "Professor" of DZR. This title is used in place of Shihan by the Danzan Ryu community. As far as I know it was awarded by the American Judo and Jujutsu Federation, but I may be wrong about that.
I would have to say the school is definitely worth looking into. You will always be welcome at other Danzan Ryu events so you can readily compare what you are being taught.

#367860 - 11/05/07 06:49 PM Re: Anyone heard of this Danzan ryu style? [Re: JAMJTX]
JoshuaMonjin Offline

Loc: Fallon, Nevada
Thanks for the responses. The interesting thing about the mix/match issue is that I have read that Okazaki himself mixed some japanese karate styles with his jujitsu and it seems people today are continuing it. I could be wrong

#367861 - 11/05/07 11:34 PM Re: Anyone heard of this Danzan ryu style? [Re: JoshuaMonjin]
JAMJTX Offline
Enthusiast

You are correct. Although primarily based on Kodokan Judo and various styles of Jujutsu, Okazaki studied some Chinese arts, Karate and also Hawaiian Lua.
If he had lived longer, I have no doubt that he would have continued looking at other arts and cross-training all that he could

#367862 - 11/08/07 09:33 PM Re: Anyone heard of this Danzan ryu style? [Re: JAMJTX]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey, I would just like to clarify something. Herb isn't an AJJF Professor anymore, he was kicked out. He had good technique but his behaviour toward his students was inappropriate. Also, AJJF doesn't monitor how he teaches DZR anymore so, techniclly, what he's teaching isn't DZR (Prizewriter is right-using 'DZR' for marketing). If you want real DZR there is an excellent dojo in Reno run by Frank Farris called High Sierra Jujutsu. If you like Herb's style then more power to you but it isn't DZR.

#367863 - 11/08/07 11:39 PM Re: Anyone heard of this Danzan ryu style?
JAMJTX Offline
Enthusiast

Obviously I did not know he was kicked out. I just assumed he moved on to do his own thing.
I'd be concerned about someone getting kicked out of an irganization like the AJJF. And that could change my reccomendation.
Although not being part of the AJJF does not prevent one from calling the art DZR. Also the Lague web site does state his new style name. He says he teaches the DZR curriculum.
Either way, getting kicked out of the AJJF would be a big black eye and a big red flag. But the knowledge and skills are there.
Thanks for brining this to our attention.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga