FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
Matakiant 1
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#367684 - 10/30/07 12:56 PM Re: Karate IS (not for fighting?) [Re: butterfly]
brocksampson Offline

Loc: Savannah, GA
Butterfly,
As you pointed out, things never go as planned with a resisting second party. It is a matter of control. Once you have the initiative in the fight you don't let the other guy have a chance. Two equally trained MA guys would theoretically be better able to counter each others moves (in an ideal world) going back and forth until one either gets and maintains the advantage or it ends in a draw. This is essentially sparring and again, outside of the dojo, highly unlikely. Good techniques can be countered by anybody, trained or not. Your training will hopefully help you by having had similar experience and good habits.

I honestly do not consider self defense training to be focused on trained or untrained attackers as martial artists are really not special. I mean we all break the same way don't we? If you're going to train, then train for Mike Tyson right? I most likely won't stop to ask for credentials once the punches start flying! If he is a trained/experienced fighter that's all the more reason to take him down first, take him down hard, and run like hell!

The points you make are legit. These are some of the reasons that fighting is a hard way to get by in life. There's always another guy fighting back.

After reading some of the more recent posts I see that we are on the same page here and your question was hypothetical. I apologize if I'm off base with the above.

Edited by brocksampson (10/30/07 01:03 PM)

#367685 - 10/30/07 12:56 PM Re: Karate IS (not for fighting?) [Re: butterfly]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
Butterfly: I think this is why Goju karate doesn't just focus on 'hit', 'stance' or 'block'. It also focuses on the 'in-between' stuff (that I don't have terms for).

#367686 - 10/30/07 02:10 PM Re: Karate IS (not for fighting?) [Re: brocksampson]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
Brock,

No apologies necessary. I actually believe that all the folk here are sharing the same basic ideals, but considering the view from slightly different vantages.

If we all agreed, then it would be a poor forum indeed.

#367687 - 10/30/07 03:49 PM Re: Karate IS (not for fighting?) [Re: butterfly]
Joss Offline
Dragon

This discussion is pure semantics, depending on the definition of "fighting". As always, we leap into it, without spending the time to agree on what we're talking about.

Fighting, to me, involves a give and take contest between competitors; relying on skill, stamina, determination, strength, quickness.... all those commendable traits.

Karate, to me, involves not competitors, but an attacker and one who is unwilling to participate in a fight but must defend him or her self. It has the purpose of eliminating the contest, or the"give and take" and of neutralizing strength and stamina. Thus it functions to provide safety to the weaker, older, smaller or less fit.

It functions to prevent injury by quickly and decisively incapacitating the attacker at the very beginning. Even though this may be done with violence, I would not term this violence as a fight.

But then... say it does not go as it should and the two end up in a monumental struggle of survival. Now that's a fight. But it ain't karate.

#367688 - 10/30/07 05:45 PM Re: Karate IS (not for fighting?) [Re: Joss]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Quote:

This discussion is pure semantics, depending on the definition of "fighting". As always, we leap into it, without spending the time to agree on what we're talking about.

Please forgive us.

Quote:

Fighting, to me, involves a give and take contest between competitors; relying on skill, stamina, determination, strength, quickness.... all those commendable traits.

Karate, to me, involves not competitors, but an attacker and one who is unwilling to participate in a fight but must defend him or her self. It has the purpose of eliminating the contest, or the"give and take" and of neutralizing strength and stamina. Thus it functions to provide safety to the weaker, older, smaller or less fit.

A fight is a fight, whether you use karate or not. What's so hard to accept about that? That's not semantics, that's snobbery.

Quote:

It functions to prevent injury by quickly and decisively incapacitating the attacker at the very beginning. Even though this may be done with violence, I would not term this violence as a fight.

Sure, and it always goes just as planned in the dojo. There are just a bunch of uke's out there waiting to be instaneously incapacitated. It's a violent altercation where as we incapacitate people,but it's not a fight, it's karate. Sure, I buy that.

Quote:

But then... say it does not go as it should and the two end up in a monumental struggle of survival. Now that's a fight. But it ain't karate.

So, if it doesn't go as planned it is then a fight. Man, you should write webster and let him know the new use for the word fight.

Thanks for clearing that up.

#367689 - 10/30/07 06:55 PM Re: Karate IS (not for fighting?) [Re: BrianS]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
The problem with language generally is that certain words can have several meanings, depending on the context, intent and tone.

In the case of the word "fight" - it has several shades and gradations of meaning, one of which implies contention in battle or physical combat - which I assume is what people generally think of and refer to when they say "fight". The word "contend" itself implies a "struggle".

Here's a thought, take this sentence for example:
"We must struggle for freedom"

Isn't the absence of struggle, freedom itself?

Likewise:
"We must fight for peace"

Isn't the absence of conflict (a synonym for fight), peace?

Compare this with the etymology of the word "bu" (as in "budo") - which is to stop the spears. It doesn't mean fight, but implies doing something to stop the fighting (as in war).

Dontcha just lurve the English language?

#367690 - 10/30/07 09:41 PM Re: Karate IS (not for fighting?) [Re: eyrie]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

I agree with you. which is why I don't disagree when someone says chooses to use the word either way. personally, I make a distinction between a 'duel', 'confrontation', 'showdown', etc vs. 'defense', 'elimination of threat', and 'disarmiment' (weaponless meaning of the word, with no pun intended ).

'subdue' is an interesting gray area, since you could subdue a threat or subdue an opponent in a competition. perhaps thats the same gray area that people are using 'fight' as equally interchangable.

mental images help sometimes - imagine the difference between a pistol duel at 10 paces vs. a free-for-all shootout at the O.K. coral. One has 'gentleman rules' the other is no holds barred. both have a kill or be killed intent; but why then isn't dueling pistols at 10 paces called a 'battle' and a shootout not called a 'duel'?

now think of the subtlties of training method with a person training for a duel vs. a person training for shootouts. lot's of overlapping skillsets there. acuracy, speed, etc. the main things separating the two are perhaps tactic, range and mindset.

surely there is a distinction. -is the way I think about it anyway. it's mostly semantics, but yeah, there is something else.

Quote:

Of course you might always suggest that Ed show up some day and see if I know what I'm talking about, providing he has insurance. Doc always says he can fix anything, providing you insurance is good (just a joke of course).

You want me to 'take one for the team' in the name of scientific discovery? uuuhhh...no thanks. my imagination is well enough to feel something drop me at 25% to know it would do more if it were 100%. providing I'm not just standing there letting you demonstrate that 25% of course....that doesn't count as a valid test. I'd have to be allowed to deliver my own 25%.

some things just won't work at 25% though. a simple one is someone applying an armbar at gradual 1/4 power, but the person resisting is resisting immediately at 100% - they can escape it. does that mean armbars are worthless? who says the 'training armbar' is the same as a viscious armbar? instead of applying gradual pressure until they tap, you could easily opt to make it one swift and full extended snap crackle pop. I'm not going to volunteer to such a test, my imagination does just fine in getting the point across as oppossed to having my arm pinned together healing for 6 months to get the lesson....and being reminded of the lesson every time it rains.

some level of imagination has to play a part of training...you have to imagine what damage something could reasonably do if it were with no mercy intent. it's possible for imaginations to go to far though or even letting imagination substitute altogether...and thats what Unyu coins as the term 'hope karate'. meaning, for instance, some train while thinking (hoping) they can deter any frontal attack with a chambered punch in horse stance without actually doing the noncompliant 2-person work to see if it's even reasonable.

karate is/isn't for <objective>. doesn't depend on the objective itself, it depends on how honest you train towards that objective. first step: stop bullsh!tting yourself. for me, karate hasn't made me an all-around better fighter - I'm guessing since I haven't trained karate for all ranges. at best, I think it's improved initial response of someone coming at me. I'm a short guy so if I haven't finished it then, I'm suppossing I'm a' gonner. someone 1.5x my size would take away 30 years of training in a heartbeat if I don't get the first advantage.

good or bad training, right or wrong mindset - thats my objective in the technical/tactical sense. but even more than that is the more tangible and testable gain of simply the enjoyment in learning a physical Art.

#367691 - 10/30/07 09:51 PM Re: Karate IS (not for fighting?) [Re: BrianS]
brocksampson Offline

Loc: Savannah, GA
Quote:

A fight is a fight, whether you use karate or not. What's so hard to accept about that? That's not semantics, that's snobbery.

Main Entry:
seˇmanˇtics
Pronunciation:
\si-&#712;man-tiks\
Function:
noun plural but singular or plural in construction
Date:

1: the study of meanings: a: the historical and psychological study and the classification of changes in the signification of words or forms viewed as factors in linguistic development

Nope, it's semantics according to our friend Webster! So the discussion has come down to defining the meaning of the word "fight"? I'm afraid this thread has now lost it's potential.

#367692 - 10/30/07 10:36 PM Re: Karate IS (not for fighting?) [Re: BrianS]
Joss Offline
Dragon

Quote:

Quote:

Please forgive us.

Quote:

Quote:

Sure, and it always goes just as planned in the dojo. There are just a bunch of uke's out there waiting to be instaneously incapacitated. It's a violent altercation where as we incapacitate people,but it's not a fight, it's karate. Sure, I buy that.

Quote:

So, if it doesn't go as planned it is then a fight. Man, you should write webster and let him know the new use for the word fight.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Ohhhh nooo. I sooowwwy nnoww Bwyyahn. I ahways agweee witchoo nowww Bwyaaan. Don't kwyyy Bwyyahn.

Feel better?

#367693 - 10/30/07 11:08 PM Re: Karate IS (not for fighting?) [Re: Joss]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Ok, you oficially hurt my feelings.

Sorry Joss, I'm having an argumentative day. I didn't mean it personal.

I guess it is just semantics.

Stupid semantics, stupid internet!!!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga