FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 15
cxt 8
trevek 6
futsaowingchun 3
JKogas 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Yesterday at 12:01 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432457 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#367664 - 10/30/07 10:13 AM Karate IS (not for fighting?)
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Victor Smith

Quote:

Then again karate isn't for fighting, ever. I accept if you're fighting you're in the wrong frame of mind.

Unyu

Quote:

You mean your karate is not for fighting. Sorry, but Kanryo Higashionna, Sokon Matsumura, Hohan Soken, Choshin Chibana, Chotoku Kyan, Choki Motobu, Chojun Miyagi, Kanei Uechi, Tatsuo Shimabuku, Gogen Yamaguchi, Mas Oyama, ad nauseum, would totally disagree with you. Self preservation includes fighting in this instance.

Karate is more than fighting, but Budo that is not about the art of war, is not true and original intent. It's schoolboy karate.

That is what you do right? Day care karate? Whatever super sensei. That might have been the most arse showing comment I've ever seen on a forum. Let me "troll" on outta here now...

Ed Morris

Quote:

I think you read too little in the comment. The distinction I would make is defending ego vs defending your life.

you 'take it outside' and get into a fight, one on one, over an argument that started about who took who's barstool... to me, 'fight' implies 'battle of egos'. maybe thats how Victor meant it, numbnuts.

Butterflypalm

Quote:

I think Victor does have some explaining to do; Unyu may have over-reacted, but then that was too short and too categorical a statement not to have elicited such a response. Especially with that "ever" at the end.

Victor Smith

Quote:

Bryan,

No, karate is not for fighting, if it is used there should be no fight just completion.

The fighting mindset is you do this and I'll do that until I win. Unfortunately sparring has made many think this is how karate should be used.

Consider Hohen Soken's comments that Kusanku used to be practiced with the top knot pins (daggers) in each hand.

Training the body to take a shot to fight is nonsense when they may be trying to stick something small into you, and that is always the proper perspective if you need to use the art. End it not fight.

I consider anyone who trains to fight missing the entire point, and there are just as many classical quotes about not fighting from the seniors too. Wonder why?

Karate is for immediately ending, from my perspective.

Of course perhaps your karate is for fighting, if so cool, to each their own.

Butterflypalm

Quote:

Oh, I see. Karate is for 'ending the fight' and not 'fighting the fight'?

I am not double-quessing Unyu, but then he may say that while you are 'ending' the fight, some 'fighting' has to be done first?

Perhaps you are thinking about a variation of the 'one-punch-one-kill' to 'first-punch-first-kill'?

Victor Smith

Quote:

I believe it is much more than a case for semantics about what is happening.

Let me give you an example, one of Isshiryu's kata techniques looks like one technique (which I suspect few really nail each other with) but from a different direction of entry it is a neck breaking technique and is nothing but 100% use of the technique from kata.

I try really hard to work on everything we have and just use of that one application, IMO, is not fighting, its ending the situation, which btw is also the complete way to enter an attack by using the technique.

Of course I'm not looking to break necks, but if the situation is appropriate the technique is not fighting in my book, its ending the situation.

I see fighting as a mindset how to use karate's technique, see value in it, but also see much more.

In that light I take all the elder seniors admonisnments that karate isn't to be used for fighting as a serious contention.

Shall we continue?

#367665 - 10/30/07 10:22 AM Re: Karate IS (not for fighting?) [Re: BrianS]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southend, Essex, UK
Bossman says it's not for fighting as well:

http://www.woma.tv/woma/videos/show/20/in/channel/159

#367666 - 10/30/07 11:25 AM Re: Karate IS (not for fighting?) [Re: Gavin]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
I think its largely a question of semantics.

Fun to talk about though!!!!!!!

I look foreward to reading the opinions/comments.

#367667 - 10/30/07 11:48 AM Re: Karate IS (not for fighting?) [Re: BrianS]
hedkikr Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southern California, USA
BTW...(& this has always puzzeled me), how does one know that a certain technique designated as a "neck-break" will really break a neck? Who do you practice on?

The same goes for other "claims" (arm-break, shatter the knee, stop the heart, etc.) that seem reasonable but are untried, I'm certain. But it sounds really cool to students...ooooh!

There are so many variables involved w/ breaks, I doubt that it can be replicated just by practicing kata (& I'm a kata practitioner).

#367668 - 10/30/07 11:52 AM Re: Karate IS (not for fighting?) [Re: hedkikr]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
I asked my teacher this. He said that the 'neck break' is only part of the body dynamics going on. I know it only took the slightest amount of pressure, while doing bunkai, to tear my shoulder, so I'll take his word on the neck breaks.

#367669 - 10/30/07 11:57 AM Re: Karate IS (not for fighting?) [Re: cxt]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
Yep,I read the whole other thread--and there were interesting posts woven into it. For that much, of late, I am grateful.

I am ambivalent since I see both sides and do agree with Chris about the idea of semantics clouding the issue. IMO, there are three considerations here: 1) the definition of fighting; 2) the utility of sparring (not necessarily sport-centric); and 3) if the "ender" that Victor has listed somehow doesn't quite work as planned.

Well if your coup de grace isn't as emphatic as expected due to whatever reason, is it then a fight? However we quickly wish to end an altercation, this sometimes may not happen according to our wants and then what recourse is there? And are the benefits of sparring then administered in that particular setting (if you don't want to call it a fight)?

P.S. As a quick edited comment, damn...Hedkikr beat me to that thought and stated it more succinctly.

Edited by butterfly (10/30/07 11:59 AM)

#367670 - 10/30/07 12:00 PM Re: Karate IS (not for fighting?) [Re: harlan]
hedkikr Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southern California, USA
And I had a climbing accident that didn't break my neck (although it felt like it). Ligaments & muscle tears have a different dynamic.

Again, blind faith or credible reports (maybe from someone in Special Forces who actually did it in wartime)?

#367671 - 10/30/07 12:01 PM Re: Karate IS (not for fighting?) [Re: hedkikr]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Loc: Malaysia
In the days of hanging a criminal, death came when the neck was broken due to the sudden jerking force of the rope when the criminal fell through the trap-door.

#367672 - 10/30/07 12:05 PM Re: Karate IS (not for fighting?) [Re: hedkikr]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
1. Last year an old tourist, ex-military, broke the neck of a would-be assailant in S. America. It's here somewhere.

2. Kata is not bunkai. Kata might be about faith, but bunkai tests it.

#367673 - 10/30/07 12:11 PM Re: Karate IS (not for fighting?) [Re: harlan]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
Harlan,

BTW, I am not doubting the abilities of your instructor, but in the heat of battle things sometimes do not go as planned. Also, let's say your instructor has a clone (or just picture two really competent MAists) with whom he is going at it. Could both be cognizant of the setups necessary to bring about the neck break/choke/kick/punch..etc. and be able to stymie or counter it?

That is also why I do not think karate (or any MA that is competently trained) is supposed to be entirely focused or use against untrained individuals. A karate-ka should be able to at least have some skill against the trained opponent/attacker and this will block a lot of what one thought would be more easily applicable.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga