FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
GojuRyuboy13 1
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#367473 - 10/29/07 03:37 AM 20 years of Strength Training experiance
tsafa Offline

I have been strength training with weights for about 20 years. I was a competetive shot-putter and discus-thrower in high school and college. From the begining my weight training program was intended to yeild explosive strength. The focus is Squats, benches, bent over rows and shoulder presses. The foundation is four sets of five repetitions. It is not limited to those four excerses or to 4x5 but that is the foundation. It is my belief that there are no useless muscles in the body and everything should be trained to some extent.

Curently I train in the Westen Martial arts. I do rapier fencing, sword and shield fighting and longsword fighting. I train in three different organizations each with its own set of rules and safety restrictions. In all my fighting I have found stength to be a great asset even when grappeling is not allowed. I consider it just that, an asset to be used when it suits me.

I follow a philosophy that things are best mastered when done in issolation. I drill to learn technique, I train with weights to stay strong and I sparr to learn how to bring all my physical and technical assets to maximum effect in fighting.

I have a website that details all the basics of weight training for strengh that I wish to share. It has both beginner and advanced routins:

http://mysite.verizon.net/tsafa1/workout.htm

Edited by tsafa (10/29/07 03:45 AM)

#367474 - 10/29/07 06:11 AM Re: 20 years of Strength Training experiance [Re: tsafa]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Hi tsafa, thanks for the link. Your training principles are sound, though you use a higher volume of work in your split routines than I believe necessary, but everyone finds what works for them over time, and no two people work out the same, so its cool.

The only thing I found that i do disagree with completely is this:
Quote:

Weight belt : It is a good idea to use a weight lifting belt for most of the lifts where you are standing up. The weight belt works by pulling the stomach in and compressing it against the spine from the inside of your body. It has the effect of packing your spine in tightly. The width of the back of the belt is of no significance. It is the 2.5 to 3 inches in the front that do the work. Power lifting belts are 4 inches all the way around.

Using a belt removes core engagement from the lifts, and prevents you gaining any postural benefit from your training. You should never lift more than your core can stabilise. You do say yourself elsewhere on your page that you believe that you are only as strong as your weakest component, and that the whole body must be strong for good performance- this has to include your core, or without a belt, you will never be able to use any strength you have in a functional environment, making it useless outside of the gym.

Going for a max lift (eg. when you compete or do your 2 rep max cycle in the year) is a fair time to use a belt because you are asking questions of your body that if the core cant answer will leave you in trouble, but for week in, week out regular training, your core should dictate what you lift, not be bypassed as an inconvenient limitation.

#367475 - 10/29/07 01:55 PM Re: 20 years of Strength Training experiance [Re: Cord]
Al_Fernz Offline

Loc: Ireland
Nice site, thanx for sharing!

#367476 - 11/01/07 07:07 PM Re: 20 years of Strength Training experiance [Re: Al_Fernz]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR

Quick question, will doing pushups fairly intensely several tiems a week and bench once a week cause you to get weaker in both exercises?
I've been doing that and the last few days it's been hard on pushups so today I couldn't really bench well at all.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#367477 - 11/01/07 09:41 PM Re: 20 years of Strength Training experiance [Re: Stormdragon]
THEGENERAL Offline

Loc: NY
I don't understand why people bother with push-ups...if I had a weighted vest I might consider doing them but I'd probably just do dips instead.

#367478 - 11/02/07 12:47 AM Re: 20 years of Strength Training experiance [Re: THEGENERAL]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

They are an effective and convienent way to strengthen and build endurance for the upper body pushing muscles. Anyway I need good pushup strength for the Army and wrestling.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#367479 - 11/02/07 01:22 AM Re: 20 years of Strength Training experiance [Re: Stormdragon]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

They are an effective and convienent way to strengthen and build endurance for the upper body pushing muscles. Anyway I need good pushup strength for the Army and wrestling.

You are re-visiting the muscles too often. Bench and push ups essentialy target the same muscles, so you are not geting the recovery you need, and your performance is suffering.

If push ups are something you need to excell at for your army fitness test, then thats fair enough, but doing bench as well is not a great idea.

Post your full workout schedule as it stands, and I will have a look at it if you want.

#367480 - 11/02/07 06:29 PM Re: 20 years of Strength Training experiance [Re: Cord]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Tuesday and thursday: Power Cleans, Leg Presses (or squats), and sometimes bench presses if there's time. 3-4 sets of 5-7 reps
Friday: Bench presses (either fridays or one of the other days, almsot always once, maybe twice a week), military presses, medicine ball push ups, leg presses, curls, and maybe seated rows (this is one I do for 2-3 sets of around 12 reps)
All but rows are done for 3-4 sets of 7-8 reps.

On all these days we do around 20 minutes of plyometrics and light cardio vascular exercises (we have to do it as part of the class. Which leaves little time for weights). Maybe 2 days a week outside of my weigths class I do dumbell curls (2-3 sets of max reps with 35 lbs.), and lateral raises (2-3 sets of max with 35's), a few sets of random nubmers of pushups and sit ups, and sometimes I'll fill a pack with around 75-80 lbs. and do shouldering exercises.
I get maybe 4-5 hours of sleep tonight and I'm 17.

#367481 - 11/02/07 11:47 PM Re: 20 years of Strength Training experiance [Re: Stormdragon]
THEGENERAL Offline

Loc: NY
I'm not an expert by any means, but why do you do 2-3 exercises on one day and then 6 on the other? Why not 3-4 on both - maybe switch curls to tuesday. Is it because you're in a class and you have more time on fridays or because you like it that way?

#367482 - 11/03/07 06:03 PM Re: 20 years of Strength Training experiance [Re: THEGENERAL]
tsafa Offline

I agree, doing pushups is a waste of time if you are benching once a week. If you feel you need to do them, do them right after you bench workout. That way you have a longer recovery period. Your chest is tired you won't do as many. The General is also right about doing dips. Why do 40 pushups when you can do 15 dips. The dips will also give you a better streach and work the muscle from a different angle.

Stormdragon has a valid reason for doing pushups. That is what the army tests you on.

General in answer to you question. Bigger muscle groups take more out of you. These days I am doing a three day split because I am busy at fighter practice the other three days.

This is what my workout looks like now:

Mon (legs)
Squats 4x6
Dead lifts 4x6
abs 4 x40

The first two excersis take 2 hours I will typicly do 3 warmup sets on squats. 135/225/275 Then I do my work sets 335/335/335/335 Sometimes I will flirt with 365 on the last two sets.

Deadlifts its one warmup with 225 then 315/365/365/365

After each set of 6 reps I am exhusted and I need a 10 minute break to recover 100%. So 8 heavy sets with 10 min breaks, that is about an hour and half.

Wed (Chest & Back)
bench 4X6
inclin or dumbell flys 4x8
Bent over rows 4x6
chin ups 4x10
Calfs 4x10
abbs 4x40

The chest and back is a smaller muscle group then the legs so I can do more in less time. I only need 5 minute breaks between these sets.

Fri (Shoulder & Arms)
Dumbell shoulder press 4x10
lying tricept press 4x10
Tri push down 4x10
dumbell curls 4x10
rev curls 4x10
abs 4x40

The shoulder take 5 min rests. I use 65 to 75 lb dumbells and go the full range down to my shoulders. Not that half rep garbage people do to the ears. The rest of the arm work out only requires 2 or 3 minute rests, so I can do a lot in a short period of time. Smaller muscles use up less oxygen and sugar. All three of the workouts take 2 to 2.5 hours depending on how much yapping I do. The bigger muscles take more time.

Mind you a biginner will need less rest between his sets. He does not have the ability to push his muscles 100%. That is why I recommend full body workouts for beginners.

Edited by tsafa (11/03/07 06:34 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga