FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 106 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT, sagat
22914 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
AndyLA 2
Zombie Zero 2
Matakiant 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
28 minutes 37 seconds ago
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
Today at 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/07/14 07:01 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
Forum Stats
22914 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432494 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#367316 - 12/14/07 11:41 AM Re: Gentle Fist [Re: WC_Lun]
ericjones80 Offline

the palm strike into the grab is a good technique...maybe the only thing it has over a punch

#367317 - 12/19/07 03:16 PM Re: Gentle Fist [Re: ericjones80]
Ironfoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: St. Clair Shores, MI USA
I didn't think of shoteis (palm strikes) when I heard of gentle fists (and not being as pervered as Ed I didn't think of what he did). I envisioned what kuta calls the "Egyptian fist" - a very loose fist with a protruding thumb. I've also seen one of Victor's main influences, the late Sherman Harrill, use a gentle fist. Contact with the opponent is what ends up closing the fist.

#367318 - 12/28/07 11:50 AM Re: Gentle Fist [Re: Kirky]
senseijack Offline

that style uses tai chi like softness instead of what a hard style would be relying on physical strerngth and such... is it effective? No opinion on that

#367319 - 12/28/07 02:14 PM Re: Gentle Fist [Re: ericjones80]
JMWcorwin Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SoCal, USA
A properly done palm strike has plenty of advantage over a punch regardless of the grab after technique. The palm strike lines up naturally all the bones from your wrist to your shoulder creating a very unforgiving striking tool. You have to feel this part, but they also tend to have a more penetrating quality. It seems to go past the surface and into the organs. It's a strange feeling. I've had palm strikes done on me at below 50% power that hurt far more and far longer than puches I've taken to the same location at full power. Again, this is talking about a correctly done palm strike and not a slap or push. ( as someone already stated )

#367320 - 12/29/07 09:22 AM Re: Gentle Fist [Re: Ironfoot]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
My version of this technique was done with the same motion as "breaking a stick", where the fist closes as your arm reaches the target... no potruding thumb (but I have seen Nishiyama Sensei punch that way). It's as if you're reaching out to break off a branch of a tree as you're walking. The snapping of the wrist is what makes the technique's shocking power, and it's extremely quick.

If you take your open hands and simply roll your wrists so your hands rotate around each other you can see the possibility of a series of these punches (which is quite effective and damaging) if the focus of the punches are in the upward or forward direction at the first two knuckles.

Using a "whip-like" motion with your arms from your side (natural way you walk with your hands by your side), it makes one hell of an uppercut too. It's all in the wrist motion... along with keeping the hand "soft" until contact.

FWIW

#367321 - 12/31/07 01:10 PM Re: Gentle Fist [Re: wristtwister]
Ironfoot Offline
Professional Poster

I like your analogy of breaking off a stick, wristtwister. Hanging around Isshinryu guys like you do, you know the mechanics of the vertical punch well, and like you, I also keep the fist loose and the arm tension-free until just before contact (last inch, preferrably). I'm not a big fan of kuta's Egyptian fist - the one with the protruding themb -as you hit with too much surface area of the hand, not just the 2 knuckles. I prefer its "lashing" shotei.

#367322 - 12/31/07 03:03 PM Re: Gentle Fist [Re: Ironfoot]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
I always thought a protruding thumb was a "miscalculation risk"... a slight miss, and your thumb becomes "the stick"...

In my "old" Isshin Ryu training, the forearm and fist were turned into a "solid object", and the power was generated from the elbow and shoulder. Everything below the elbow was tightened, and everything above the elbow was loose... it was a "learned skill" to do that. Now, they just "make a fist and punch"... so the "development" of karate has lost some significant details that generated a lot of power.

In the late 1980's, I had a conversation with Nishiyama Sensei, who expressed concern that no one was spending any time learning to generate power in their karate. It was all getting so tournament oriented, that it was just more of a "hit and hope" situation rather than "power delivery".

I always had fast hands, so I liked the speed techniques, but when I learned the other methods, I worked on getting them operational "instantly", so I had the best of both worlds. The combination of speed and power trumps either one by itself.

#367323 - 01/02/08 03:07 PM Re: Gentle Fist [Re: wristtwister]
Ironfoot Offline
Professional Poster

Make a really loose fist (hate to sound sexist, but the one you see most women make), then put the thumb on top so that it sticks out just slightly more than the index finger's second knuckle. One past sensei described this as the "doorbell technique" that you can use to jab the thumb into soft areas.

But I hear you, Grady, about the lack of punching technique. People don't get that wet-towel-snap idea. Instead they're too tensed up to be fast. It's easy to be hard, but apparently hard to be easy.

#367324 - 01/03/08 02:40 PM Re: Gentle Fist [Re: TheSandaPanda]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

3) If you're blocking, he can only strike your outer forearms. If there are pressure points there, its not the type that can be damaged by open palm-strikes.

?
My student thoughts.

Might be debate-able.

If the side part ( the outside of the hand sort of semi shuto) is used while using palm heel strikes it can numb the forearm.

See this is the reason I have problems with pressure points.
If the thigh is struck hard anywhere the damage to the muscle causes the numbing effect.

Ditto forearm.

Jude

#367325 - 01/10/08 12:25 PM Re: Gentle Fist [Re: jude33]
Ethann Offline
Stranger

Loc: Montréal
I don't know if anyone answered the first question of this thread, but I've found something that (imo) seems to fit the description. First of, I'm assuming that the person was searching for the style the caracter "Neji" juses in naruto. Since i found that a martial art that focuses on pressure points would be interesting, i started looking for it. As i thought it is not named "gentle fist" even tho, there is a tai chi form called YinChuanDao (the way of the gentle fists) that teaches the philosophy Neji and Hinata uses.

The real art tho is called Bagazhang, it is comonly called "Eight trigram palm". The "gao" style enphasis on palm strikes and it's "post heaven" section has a teaching of "64 linear palm" which is highly familiar to theses naruto caracters. The "fu" style as the caracteristic of using many spinning movements and point strikes that can dammage internal organs. Also it uses the same stance as they do in the anime therefore confirming that Bagazhang is what inspired them into creating the "gentle fist" style in naruto. Hope this helps, heres the link for the infos i foud.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baguazhang

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga