FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#366698 - 10/23/07 01:10 AM Defending your wallet against KM schools. . .
BrokenNose Offline

I thought I would ask on this forum how other Krav Maga schools around the world operate.

I've been a member of the local Krav Maga school for about a year and a half. At every turn I am getting tagged for more money for special seminars, asked to buy more clothing, extended class training, etc.

The instructors are constantly informing us that what we learn in regular KM class is not enough and we need to attend all the various weekly seminars that they offer and all of these seminars are not cheap. We are talking $$$$.

I'm just a guy that is looking to stay in shape and maybe learn something practical. I'm not about turning myself into a killing machine. I've got a life apart from KM that the instructors don't seem to appreciate.

The classes have become so full that students are often asked to share equipment or take their turn to practice a maneuver which I find unacceptable as it seems every students has to pay in full to participate half the time in class.

Forget about trying to cancel the bullet-proof contract they make you sign.

It seems KM, at least in my city, has turned into a fast-food self-defense system, catering to the lowest common denominator.

How does it work for everyone else?

Edited by MrMoyer (12/21/07 11:15 AM)

#366699 - 10/23/07 07:18 AM Re: Defending your wallet against Krav Maga. . . [Re: BrokenNose]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
You are right on the money (no pun intended).

#366700 - 10/23/07 09:29 AM Re: Defending your wallet against Krav Maga. . . [Re: BrokenNose]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
What you describe is the the pure essence of the "McDojo" phenomina which so many loathe & too many suffer. Escape by every means possible and request in writing they release you from your contract... Looked briefly for the thread link re: to how to break a McDojo contract but could not find it (yet).

J

#366701 - 10/23/07 10:01 AM Re: Defending your wallet against Krav Maga. . . [Re: Ronin1966]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA

#366702 - 10/23/07 02:56 PM Re: Defending your wallet against Krav Maga. . . [Re: BrokenNose]
Dedicated1 Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
It doesn't have as much to do with Krav as it does the school. Not all schools operate that way. You shouldn't have to pay for training that is supposed to be included in your monthly tuition. What you pay for the program Monthly should cover all your training. Seminars are an extra activity but they usually cover more than just Krav stuff, which makes them worth the added cost. By no means should they be a requirement to your Krav training. If there are any other Krav locations near by, I would check them out.

#366703 - 10/23/07 03:36 PM Re: Defending your wallet against Krav Maga. . . [Re: BrokenNose]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
Brokennose

Nope, that is stuff that needs to be addressed--its not normal nor should be acceptable.

A growing school sometime has "growing pains" but those problems should be addressed with the members.

You didn't sign a contract did you????

#366704 - 10/23/07 08:46 PM Re: Defending your wallet against Krav Maga. . . [Re: cxt]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Quote:

Brokennose

Nope, that is stuff that needs to be addressed--its not normal nor should be acceptable.

A growing school sometime has "growing pains" but those problems should be addressed with the members.

You didn't sign a contract did you????

I think he did.

#366705 - 10/23/07 09:15 PM Re: Defending your wallet against Krav Maga. . . [Re: BrianS]
BrokenNose Offline

I signed the contract and I asked about getting it canceled and they said "NO!"

Ok, I did go to an intro class, I am an adult, and I signed on the dotted line. On the first day it felt like a good thing. However, they did not let me know of the extra seminars that are REQUIRED if I am to progress to the next level. These are extra seminars that cost $$$.

There isn't a day when one of the instructors isn't pushing clothes, a seminar or getting people to sign up for more time. It would seem to me that a good school would have people extending their time automatically.

And yes, I do realize that it is a business and the instructors are there to make money and a living, so who ends up winning and losing here.

Ok, can I vent about one more thing?

I've seen the Human Weapon on television and the Krav Maga they show does not resemble the Krav Maga I am shown. The Krav Maga I see on You Tube does not resemble the Krav Maga I am shown.

Shouldn't all versions of Krav Maga be the same?

One more thing:

Is Krav Maga the ONLY proven self-defense system in the world, as I am often told?

Maybe I am just upset at the thought I having to go to a school where I don't want to be. Sorry about the vent.

#366706 - 10/23/07 10:40 PM Re: Defending your wallet against Krav Maga. . . [Re: BrokenNose]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
I think you have a lot of misconceptions and hopefully I can help you clear some things up.

Quote:

I signed the contract and I asked about getting it canceled and they said "NO!"

All I can say there is lesson learned. No contracts! Ever!

Quote:

Ok, I did go to an intro class, I am an adult, and I signed on the dotted line. On the first day it felt like a good thing. However, they did not let me know of the extra seminars that are REQUIRED if I am to progress to the next level. These are extra seminars that cost $$$.

Ofcourse, they sold you, plain and simple.

Quote:

There isn't a day when one of the instructors isn't pushing clothes, a seminar or getting people to sign up for more time. It would seem to me that a good school would have people extending their time automatically

Makes sense to me too.

Quote:

I've seen the Human Weapon on television and the Krav Maga they show does not resemble the Krav Maga I am shown. The Krav Maga I see on You Tube does not resemble the Krav Maga I am shown.

Shouldn't all versions of Krav Maga be the same?

No. Not all goju karate resembles the same,not all tkd resembles the same, etc...
It's all dependant on the school and how they teach. The name means little anymore.

Quote:

One more thing:

Is Krav Maga the ONLY proven self-defense system in the world, as I am often told?

Proven? Not every school has proven their effectiveness. I think all arts started out 'proven' in some way or another. Today is a different story.

Quote:

Maybe I am just upset at the thought I having to go to a school where I don't want to be. Sorry about the vent.

I'd be upset too after being taken for a ride.

You have some options.

1. You know you are basically being railroaded to get promotions.
2. You know they conned you into a contract.
3. You know you don't want to be there.

Stick it out and don't give them anymore money than you absolutely have to. Forget about their seminar scams and your rank. Just take as much away from it as you can.
Then when you are done with them, be done with them for good. Get the word out on what they are all about. Do you have a link to the school's website?

Then when you are ready, look around for somewhere else to train. Be openminded and do a lot of research before stepping into anything else.

Good luck.

#366707 - 10/24/07 01:32 AM Re: Defending your wallet against Krav Maga. . . [Re: BrianS]
BrokenNose Offline

Wow, I read the thread on canceling a contract and there are some really freaky things to do. Geez, i don't know if I have the guts to do all those things. They do make me wear Krav Maga clothes and I can't participate in class unless I wear a Krav Maga shirt. There's been a bunch of times where someone new is signing up when I have wanted to stop them and fill them in on everything they don't tell you about.

You know, they won't allow people to audit the class without participating in it. They make you leave because of some law enforcement rules, suggesting that what they teach can be used against law enforcement.

I want to post a link to their website, but I'm not sure what kind of trouble it could get me if someone from that school monitors or reads this forum. I'd like all of you to see the bio on the instructors and notice that none of them have any martial arts background, except for the founder. Most, if not all the instructors, are self-certified to some extent.

#366708 - 10/24/07 10:17 AM Re: Defending your wallet against Krav Maga. . . [Re: BrokenNose]
JasonM Offline
Professional Poster

Hhmm, sounds like a bad situation and sorry to hear that. If possible can you post the contract and ensure the names, identities are cleared? I don't think there is a problem with posting their website for discussion.

Also, you can email Krav Maga HQ and get feedback from them.

Depending on what the contract states, I would take some of the suggestions mentioned in this thread. I would be really surprised if the contract states you have to wear Krav Maga attire during class. Again, seeing the contract will help and it will let you know what you can do without violating the contract.

I believe you weren't concerned with being a Super fighter, and just want to keep in shape and learn Self Defense. You can do that without attending the "seminars". Unfortunately, you won't progress in rank if that is their requirement. It is sad that there are some rogue schools out there and even though they are affiliated with KMAA they can still do what the wish, to an extent.

#366709 - 10/24/07 01:12 PM Re: Defending your wallet against Krav Maga. . . [Re: JasonM]
RazorFoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Seated at the computer, DUH
I was caught up in a similar situation once and was able to get out of it by simply telling them I was moving out of the area. I let them know I was moving approx 60 miles away and that the commute would be impossible for me to make given my situation. Don't know if that would work for you but I was able to make it work for me.

Good luck with your situation. If all else fails, Brians input is where I would go. Stick it out if you can not escape and simply give them nothing more than the bare minimum, disregarding anything (seminars, etc) that deals with rank.

Scottie

#366710 - 10/26/07 09:34 AM Re: Defending your wallet against Krav Maga. . . [Re: RazorFoot]
vxmequalsf Offline

Hey, sorry to hear your situation. Definitely not all KM schools are like the bad experience you've described. One KM school I attended did require KM "official" clothing but then didn't strictly enforce the rule.

What length of time did you sign a contract for six months, a year?

VXM

#366711 - 10/27/07 09:54 AM Re: Defending your wallet against Krav Maga. . . [Re: BrokenNose]
fileboy2002 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Chicago, IL
I have heard similar complaints about Krav Maga several times.

It seems Krav Maga is a victim of its own sudden popularity. A few years ago, it burst forth as the trendy new thing on the MA scene. This created ample opportunties for price gauging and other abuses.

#366712 - 11/08/07 04:35 PM Re: Defending your wallet against Krav Maga. . . [Re: BrokenNose]
revitup Offline
Stranger

Hey Broken-Nose-Newbie-- you are having a bad KM trip! If you are in NY Long Island area, I strongly urge you to train where I do in Hicksville (KMLI). My membership costs me around 120 per month and I can train as often as I like. The only 'required' uniform is a KM t-shirt OR (if you haven't done a wash!) a black t-shirt. Otherwise, we wear what we wear. There's no push to buy anything (though there is plenty of cool stuff in the pro-shop area), and members get big discounts on specialty seminars (gun, knife, what have you). There's no charge for belt tests, so no upselling there. Plus I can take the 8 grappling classes per month for free as part of my membership! If I wanted, I could train 3 hours per day 6 days per week on my plan. Anyway, not all schools are like the one you are describing. Good luck!

#366713 - 11/24/07 02:22 PM Re: Defending your wallet against Krav Maga. . . [Re: revitup]
BrokenNose Offline

revitup, your school sounds great.

ďStudent agrees to follow school rules as promulgated from time to time.Ē Thatís what it says on the contract. My attorney tells me that this means I am screwed. They can do anything they want and I am supposed to like it. Iíd like to say more about the contract but this school has strict rules on broadcasting any info on them that is not approved by them and frankly, their attorney is bigger than my attorney.

Anyway, I finally had it and walked out of class. It was extremely full and some students were three to a heavy bag. Iíve been in many world class gyms and dojos and Iíve never had to go through a bag class where you only get to use the bag one third of the time. Iíve been a member of some great schools and this is not said to say that I am some kind of bad ass, but to say that Iíve seen how great schools go about teaching.

So, I spoke to representative of the school and I was told that it was extremely disrespectful to him, the school, the owners and the tradition of Krav Maga to just walk out of class. I apologized and the rep accepted. Truthfully, I have some regrets about the apology but I did it.

The rep said that KM was growing by leaps and bounds and soon everyone I met would either know someone studying KM or be skilled in KM. The rep stated that their school was saving lives throughout the metroplex and that I was lucky to be in on the ground floor of such a great movement.

Finally, we talked money and my unhappiness at how classes are taught and filled. The response was that they could not turn anyone away that needed to be trained. They said that I should open my mind to new and innovative ideas. Bottom line, they said, what would I do if I was in their place. No way were they going to cap class limits. Not to compare, but in a gym step class, if more people than steps available show up, they donít get to participate. They said that maybe I need private lessons at $150 per hour.

Am I wrong in my thinking or is free enterprise getting in my way? Ok, so if they cap class, obviously, they lose money, right? They don't grow. As a student, consumer, I'm looking for top service for top dollar, but does this mean accepting less or different because they are trying to accommodate so many?

You know, am I wrong? If I go to a restaurant, get seated and there are only 20 seats and more people come in, am I being closed minded because I do not want someone else sitting with me at my table?

Just as a note, I have nothing against Krav Maga and its philosophies. I think it is a valid form of self-defense.

#366714 - 11/24/07 08:09 PM Re: Defending your wallet against Krav Maga. . . [Re: BrokenNose]
Dedicated1 Offline

There should be a limit to how many students are in a class based on what it can handle. There needs to be the proper ratio of students and equipment. Plus there shouldn't be so many students that it becomes a safety factor or you have students sitting out part of the time. That's poor management. If the classes are to big then they need to add more classes, simple as that. If they don't have room in there schedule to add another class then they need to put a cap on the number of students. They said they can't turn people away who want to learn to defend themselves, but if your sitting out at times or having to share equipment how are you learning anything? Sounds more like they can't turn away the money and they don't want to cap their income.

#366715 - 11/28/07 09:43 AM Re: Defending your wallet against Krav Maga. . . [Re: Dedicated1]
EMJ Offline
Stranger

Brokenose,

If you would like, you can email or pm me. I have had a similiar situation.

#366716 - 12/07/07 04:03 PM Re: Defending your wallet against Krav Maga. . . [Re: EMJ]
PSYOPS Offline

Allright....

The return of the Psyoper is complete!!!!

I feel your pain Brokenose. I want though to understand why you think its ok for you to train in a school without the proper uniform? If you understood that the t-shirt is required when you signed up, you should comply. What other schools exsist that allow students to wear whatever they want to class? Not many.

As far as the "required" seminars goes, that is just nonsense. You are being sold a line of b.s. A required training seminar is absolute garbage unless its some type of special certification. Where do you train? What organization do you train under?

#366717 - 12/10/07 10:05 PM Re: Defending your wallet against Krav Maga. . . [Re: PSYOPS]
nobodyspecial Offline
Stranger

I'm about to go to an intro Krav Maga class in a couple of weeks. Its' the LA National Training Center. Does anyone have any experience with this place?

#366718 - 12/10/07 10:53 PM Re: Defending your wallet against Krav Maga. . . [Re: nobodyspecial]
Dedicated1 Offline

It's the national training center, you should have no problems at all.

#366719 - 12/14/07 08:43 PM Re: Defending your wallet against Krav Maga. . . [Re: Dedicated1]
shantungks Offline

oH my god!!!
You are getting ripped off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big time!!!!!!!!
But it sounds like those guys did their homework on how to make money!!!!!!!!!!! sounds that what they teach really sucks!!!!!!
When you teach or sell quality you do not need to make absurd contracts to make money. When you are honest and sell quality money comes on it's own. This guy sounds like he pressures people into signing.
Get out if you can lie!! Say you are moving to another state!

#366720 - 12/16/07 02:07 AM Re: Defending your wallet against Krav Maga. . . [Re: shantungks]
Dedicated1 Offline

I think you meant "How they teach really sucks". He didn't mention that the training sucked, (when he could train). I think it's more how they are sucking him in for more money.

#366721 - 12/16/07 09:02 PM Re: Defending your wallet against Krav Maga. . . [Re: BrokenNose]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
Broken nose,
I don't have a dog in this fight, but if I were you, I'd take a copy of that contract to a local district attorney and ask him if they're breaking any laws on intimidation or coercian. Sounds to me like they have an open-ended contract that allows them to change the rules and you're supposed to "fall in line" with whatever they come up with.

Consumer credit laws don't allow a lot of "tricksters" to get by with things they used to be able to do, and you certainly shouldn't have to go to bankruptcy court because these guys think they can just reach in your wallet every time they get another idea. Contracts need to be very specific in whats supplied and who's responsible for payment, and any more, the "extras" probably need to be spelled out as well.

I know if I was getting 1/3 of a class on the bag, I'd tell them I only owed them 1/3 of the payment since I couldn't practice. I'm sure they have you pegged as a troublemaker already, since you bucked up in class and walked out, so you probably won't be getting any specific help in the study of the art.

Seriously, I think I'd look into whether or not they're breaking consumer credit laws with their business, and that should give your lawyer all he needs to get your contract rescinded.

Just a thought.

#366722 - 12/17/07 09:58 AM Re: Defending your wallet against Krav Maga. . . [Re: wristtwister]
mwmanvt Offline

Loc: Hoboken, NJ
You sure as hell can post what school it is. That's free speech my friend. As long as everything you are saying is TRUE than it is NOT slander.

#366723 - 12/19/07 09:44 PM Re: Defending your wallet against Krav Maga. . . [Re: mwmanvt]
Glockmeister Offline

Loc: Lancaster, Pa
What exactly is your problem with KM? Sounds like you have a problem with the school and it's instructors, not KM the style.You can't blame the system because you have unfortunately signed a contract with a McDojo.

#366724 - 12/19/07 10:24 PM Re: Defending your wallet against Krav Maga. . . [Re: Glockmeister]
JasonM Offline
Professional Poster

Glock,

I don't think he was blaming the system, but in fact the school. At least that has been my take on it.

#366725 - 12/20/07 04:40 PM Re: Defending your wallet against Krav Maga. . . [Re: JasonM]
Glockmeister Offline

Quote:

Glock,

I don't think he was blaming the system, but in fact the school. At least that has been my take on it.

Really? His title sounds otherwise. It doesn't say defending your wallet against this school or that it says against Krav Maga. Maybe I am reading to much into that and his original post.

#366726 - 12/21/07 11:13 AM Re: Defending your wallet against schools.... [Re: Glockmeister]
JasonM Offline
Professional Poster

Yeah, good point. The title is misleading but after reading the thread is seem the problem is the school. Maybe he should change the title if he is still around...

#366727 - 12/28/07 03:24 PM Re: Defending your wallet against schools.... [Re: JasonM]
dicen Offline

The title is mis leading but he wants to know if other KM schools do this. Anyways you grab your copy of the contract and read everything. Be prepared to go thru a law suit if necessary, I've heard of people to that extreme to get out of a bad contract and get back their hard earned money. But KM isn't the only MA that does this sort of thing.

#366728 - 01/09/08 10:46 PM Re: Defending your wallet against schools.... [Re: dicen]
Glockmeister Offline

Another reason never to sign a contract.

#366729 - 02/01/08 12:22 PM Re: Defending your wallet against schools.... [Re: Glockmeister]
sproutopop Offline

My concern about KM is that there are two totally separate tracks, student and instructor.

Students can train for years in Krav and become expert. But, as I understand it, you only become a certified teacher by paying to go through a certification program (three individual levels, each a week long).

Its unlike other systems where the most senior and experienced students become instructors.

At my school, I was being "trained" by instructors who had spent years less time in the program than I had. That took away some of my enthusiasm.

That being said, we still had some good senior instructors as well.

Even though certification and standards are important, its really hard for new instructors to earn the respect of long-time students under that kind of system.

Leadership often means paying your dues (not necessarily in the form of money).

#366730 - 02/11/08 01:28 PM Re: Defending your wallet against schools.... [Re: sproutopop]
Glockmeister Offline

Quote:

But, as I understand it, you only become a certified teacher by paying to go through a certification program (three individual levels, each a week long).

As opposed to what? Paying outlandish "testing fees" for a black belt test that takes like...an hour?

#366731 - 02/11/08 01:45 PM Re: Defending your wallet against schools.... [Re: sproutopop]
JasonM Offline
Professional Poster

That is the big difference between Krav and Traditional arts. Krav is designed to be learned in a short amount of time. Kinda like "out of the box" if you will..

So, I don't think you can compare a traditional instructor with years to krav instructor. I guess ya can't compare time in service. But that shouldn't take away from their ability to teach. Both have earned the right to instruct.

#366732 - 02/20/08 01:56 PM Re: Defending your wallet against schools.... [Re: Glockmeister]
sproutopop Offline

Quote:

Quote:

But, as I understand it, you only become a certified teacher by paying to go through a certification program (three individual levels, each a week long).

As opposed to what? Paying outlandish "testing fees" for a black belt test that takes like...an hour?

Apparently you misunderstood what I was saying. Let me be clear; "it takes more than a week to learn a fighting system and legitimately be able to teach it."

Hope that one wasn't as confusing. This concept doesn't seem too unreasonable.

#366733 - 02/20/08 05:29 PM Re: Defending your wallet against schools.... [Re: sproutopop]
Dedicated1 Offline

Just to make sure we all understand, you do not get certified in one week to teach an entire system. You can get certified in one week to teach level 1 classes. You still need to train and learn the system at Instructor training seminars and such. When you are ready to test for level 2 certification you do. The same goes for level 3. It takes a while to get certified to teach the entire system. It is more like three weeks of certification with 100's of hours in between for Instructor training.

#366734 - 02/21/08 09:54 AM Re: Defending your wallet against schools.... [Re: Dedicated1]
Glockmeister Offline

Quote:

Just to make sure we all understand, you do not get certified in one week to teach an entire system. You can get certified in one week to teach level 1 classes. You still need to train and learn the system at Instructor training seminars and such. When you are ready to test for level 2 certification you do. The same goes for level 3. It takes a while to get certified to teach the entire system. It is more like three weeks of certification with 100's of hours in between for Instructor training.

Read above Sproutopop. Hope that wasn't too confusing.

Edited by Glockmeister (02/21/08 09:55 AM)

#366735 - 02/21/08 03:29 PM Re: Defending your wallet against schools.... [Re: Glockmeister]
sproutopop Offline

Dedicated1 thanks. For the instructors I began under, that was the way it worked and the system itself is great.

However, a little later on things changed when students grew and pressure for more classes increased. Phase A (one-week wonder) instructors were being called on a lot. Morale dropped and a bunch of long-timers left. This may have been temporary, or just an unusual occurrence at one particular place.

Yes this training center did require an initial year-long contract and I was dumb enough to sign up. But I stuck with it for over four years so it seemed to balance out.

I still love the system. In particular all the hours it took to learn it.

#366736 - 02/23/08 10:24 AM Re: Defending your wallet against schools.... [Re: sproutopop]
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Florida
Harder and harder to validate and defend a program that by it's own marketing machine has gone down a rock road in pursuit of $$$.

The more people want to be "instructors" and take the course, the more $$$ is involved. Eventually, this will seriously impact the credibility of the training when you are either a new student or an instructor.

#366737 - 03/13/08 08:53 AM Re: Defending your wallet against Krav Maga. . . [Re: BrokenNose]
astudent972 Offline
Stranger

wow. it looks like something is very wrong with the school you go to. It shouldn't be all about the tee shirts and new seminars etc. I gave spamming FA.com a try when I got tired of all the live class bullcrap, and have not looked back since. -a month is like 25 bucks on this site, which is the cost of a single class in some places, AND I know i'm being taught by the real deal Ran Nakash was featured last week on Fight Quest.

Edited by ZombieZero (03/13/08 09:05 AM)

#366738 - 04/24/08 01:30 PM Re: Defending your wallet against Krav Maga. . . [Re: BrokenNose]
KMStudent Offline

Well, KMWW does that. They certify instructors in a week, charge for testing, etc. AND itīs not Krav. Itīs just MMA. IKMF teches real krav, I suggest you stop paying for KM when they are teaching something else. Iīve done IKMF for 1 year and KMWW for 6 months. The IKMF students on level 1 are better than the KMWW level 5s.

#366739 - 04/24/08 01:36 PM Re: Defending your wallet against Krav Maga. . . [Re: KMStudent]
JasonM Offline
Professional Poster

ok, we get the point that you dislike KMWW. Keep it the convo's positive.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga