FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
Zombie Zero 2
Matakiant 2
futsaowingchun 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432495 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#366355 - 10/18/07 03:24 PM Student wears bullet proof vest to school....
hunterkell Offline

Loc: fl usa
Shawn ­Keiffer Newberry is shy, has a love for guns and is the 'most gentle person in the world,' in the eyes of his father, ­Jessie Newberry.
In the eyes of law enforcement, Newberry, 18, is potentially dangerous.

Weapons belonging to Newberry include two assault rifles and a Taser.

Related ArticlesStudent Who Wore Armor to School Arrested

Evidence seized by ..... Police in the arrest of Shawn Newberry includes ammunition and magazines for AK-47 assault rifles.

'Newberry displayed a great knowledge of assault weapons, police body armor, and knowledge of defeating body armor for the purpose of killing human beings,' an officer said in a police report.

The officer wrote that he '...believes Newberry is training and arming himself for some future illegal event.'

The elder Newberry said Wednesday that his son has never hurt anyone.

'Police are going ballistic and they are blowing all of this out of proportion,' he said.

Newberry was arrested Oct. 6 after he went to school wearing a bulletproof vest over a T-shirt Oct. 3. An officer questioned him about the vest at the charter school, Life Skills Center.

Life Skills administrator Curtis Thomas said Newberry walked into a class of about two dozen students wearing the vest. A teacher told Thomas, who in turn told a school resource officer about the student's unusual attire.

RED FLAGS

Jessie Newberry said his son had only attended Life Skills for four days, wore the vest because he was scared at the school and 'thought it looked cool to wear body armor.'

When Shawn Newberry consented to a search of his car, police charged him after they found a can of Clear Out, a nonlethal tear gas-like spray. Newberry was suspended from school.

Jessie Newberry explained that the Clear Out bottle was empty and his son kept it for protection during his delivery job at Pizza Hut on routes in bad neighborhoods.
After the search, more red flags were raised when Newberry talked about bulletproof vests with officers questioning him, police records state.

'Newberry explained ."that the only way to defeat the body armor is with a head shot or shooting someone's legs hitting the arterial vein so that they would ‘bleed out...'
Officers said in documents they thought it was unusual that Newberry would talk about killing people 'in such a calculated way' with three officers present.

The only time Newberry became nervous was when he was asked about the meaning of '10-19'

written on a piece of paper found in Newberry's car.

After officers researched Newberry's assigned computer at school, they found he had searched for Bible verses relating to 10-19, and specific dates relating to 10-19-87, including a stock market crash and an attack on Iran's oil platforms by the United States, according to police reports.

Jessie Newberry discounted the significance of the date. He said that his son was planning to get immunization shots for school on Oct. 19.

Before Newberry's arrest, his ex-stepfather, Mark McNeill, turned over to police two AK-47 assault rifles that belonged to Newberry. Earlier this year, McNeill turned over a bulletproof vest, tear gas, a tactical helmet, and two AK-47s belonging to Newberry.

Detectives looked further into Newberry's past and Wednesday searched his home. Police found numerous rounds of ammunition of various calibers, a small amount of marijuana, and a video camera with images of Newberry, three other young men and a woman who appear to be target shooting with AK-47s.

During one shooting session, the target was a newspaper box.

The video also shows the detonation of an explosive device, which was determined to have occurred just off Winter Lake Road.

After viewing the video, the State Attorney's Office charged Newberry with armed trespassing, grand theft for stealing the box and criminal mischief for damaging the box.

He is in the Polk County Jail in lieu of $605,000 bail.

First gun

Newberry bought his first AK-47 for about $600 about a week after his 18th birthday at a Vet's Surplus Store.

'He wanted to start collecting guns, particularly Kalashnikov guns,' said Michael Dunn, vice president at Vet's. The weapon, originally developed for the army of the former ­Soviet Union, is legal as long as it is semiautomatic.

Over time, Newberry bought a helmet, bulletproof vest, Taser, pepper spray and tear gas.

'He was a quiet guy,' Dunn said. 'He talked some about shooting...."

An officer in the store when Newberry purchased the gun asked him why he was buying it. Newberry could not provide a good reason, Dunn said.

'Right about that time interest peaked in him,' Dunn said.

Dunn stopped selling weapons to Newberry after police opened an investigation. 'I didn't feel comfortable selling them to him,' Dunn said.

Dunn said he told Newberry that he faced jail time if he continued to cause trouble with police.

'At first I thought he was just a nondescript little fellow,' Dunn said. 'After all this, I have some questions about what he's about.'

Newberry's father said police are wrong about his son.

The younger Newberry was home schooled for years and, according to police, only has a 6th-grade education. The home schooling combined with a lack of interaction with students made him extremely shy, his father said.

Recently, Shawn Newberry helped care for his mother, who died of cancer in February. 'He was there the whole time,' his father said.

I am a resource officer, but had no involvement in this news story.

Questions and observations:

The student is 18 years old.

In the reader's opinion;

Did L.E. go too far w/the charges? was it reasonable to go as in depth as the police investigation did?

FYI: In Florida it's perfectly legal for an 18 year old to own a rifle (or 2).

The can of "clear-out" was empty.

Would it have been more appropriate to help the young man find counseling sans criminal charges?

Was the memory of Columbine a factor?
Kel

Nothing is impossible for the person that doesn't have to do it.

#366356 - 10/18/07 04:39 PM Re: Student wears bullet proof vest to school.... [Re: hunterkell]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
Quote:

After viewing the video, the State Attorney's Office charged Newberry with armed trespassing, grand theft for stealing the box and criminal mischief for damaging the box.

The guy was apparently in clear violation of the law considering these actions. Armed trespassing, particularly is a pretty clearly illegal behaviour.

I'm not American, nor am I a lawyer, but to me it seems as if something's pretty obviously not right with the guy, considering the charges. As you say, the guy's now legally an adult, and as such will not be treated as a child in the eyes of the law.

Is it right or wrong to put the guy in jail? That's not for me to decide, I'm not an American, as I said.

Edited by Leo_E_49 (10/18/07 04:47 PM)

#366357 - 10/19/07 09:07 AM Re: Student wears bullet proof vest to school.... [Re: Leo_E_49]
hunterkell Offline

Good point.

He was charged for the armed trespass etc from the video of when he was on private property shooting up a paperbox.

I wonder why he felt it was needed to wear the vest to school..

The initial charge that set it off was the empty "clear out" can of spray (that is usually only possessed by SWAT and SRT units) that was in his car (in the parking lot). From what I can tell that was what he was charged with...

I'm not sure how I feel about how the whole thing went down and what it lead to...

K

ALSO-when I hit the post button to initialy send this post-an add popped up from this site w/a Tazer for sell that looked just like one the young man had in his "collection".

Edited by hunterkell (10/19/07 09:08 AM)

#366358 - 10/21/07 06:50 PM Re: Student wears bullet proof vest to school.... [Re: hunterkell]
globetrotter Offline
does unto others before they do unto him

Loc: ny usa
I'm sorry - zero sympathy. the boy and his father should be forced into some treatment, and the boy should be kept away from others until it is clearer that he is less nuts.

an AK-47 is a top preditor, an 18 year old student has no need of it. if his father isn't stable and/or smart enough to understand that this kid has a problem, they both should be treated.

#366359 - 10/22/07 08:49 AM Re: Student wears bullet proof vest to school.... [Re: globetrotter]
hunterkell Offline

Globetrotter,

I agree an AK-47 is a powerful rifle.

Do you think it would have been better to Baker Act the student instead of arrest him?

Then if he was found to be of sound mind and body they could go back and charge him later..I guess I am wondering if they, "jumped the gun" so to speak.

Kel

#366360 - 10/22/07 10:05 AM Re: Student wears bullet proof vest to school.... [Re: hunterkell]
globetrotter Offline

the best thing would be to find a way to treat him, but I am not sure that it would be possible to jsut walk up to him and ask him to commit himself for a long treatment.

the past few school shootings have been horrific, and nobody has used an AK-47 - I would hate to think what this guy could have done. so, frankly, I have no problem restricting his movements for a while until it is clear he isn't a threat.

#366361 - 10/22/07 02:05 PM Re: Student wears bullet proof vest to school.... [Re: globetrotter]
hunterkell Offline

Globetrotter,

I found this:

the u.s. secret service developed a profile of school shootings and shooters after evaluating 41 school shooters who participated in 37 incidents.
they found that most attacks were neither spontaneous or impulsive. shooters typically developed a plan of attack long before , more than half had considered the attack for two weeks or more, and had a plan for at least 2 days. the attackers gave off warning signs prior to the event, bizarre behavior noticed by fellow students, school officials. threats were communicated in more than 3/4 of the incidents, and in more than 1/2 of the incidents the attacker told at least one person. some people knew detailed information, while others knew "something spectacular" was going to occur on a particular date. in less than 1/4 of the cases a direct threat was made to the target. shooters came from a wide variety of family backgrounds. many had feelings of being extremely depressed, or desperate. 2/3 of the attackers described feeling persecuted,more than 3/4 were known to feel threatened or hold a grievance (real or imagined) and more than 3/4 had difficulties coping with a major change in relationship, such as the loss of a loved one, a lost love, or humiliating failure. not suprisingly, most shooters had experience with guns and weapons, and had access to them at home. (juvenile deliquency/8th edition/siegel/welsh/senna.)

I guess since he has been charged, part of an agreement could be that he undertake some type of counseling....

Kel

#366362 - 10/22/07 03:06 PM Re: Student wears bullet proof vest to school.... [Re: hunterkell]
globetrotter Offline

thanks. that makes sense.

#366363 - 02/23/08 12:09 AM Re: Student wears bullet proof vest to school.... [Re: globetrotter]
yuanofkienninja Offline

It is very difficult these days to make a decent or even remotely well informed judgment concerning young people and their interests and behaviors. I live in a sparsely populated rural area, and most of the kids here own or have easy access to semi-auto high powered rifles and there is at least one 12 gauge in most of the homes here. Lot's of 9mm and .45 too. Most of them are gun nuts due to their love of deer hunting if for no other reason. The vest in school is indeed a red flag in my opinion. The ownership of a couple of semi-autos doesn't mean jack. The taser is just something cool for the kid to own, and the clear-out (especially if it was empty) doesn't mean crap-all either. However...(sigh) There have been a butt-load of school and university shootings recently. Ultimately it is better to be safe than sorry. As far as taking a calculated approach to defeating body armor... Ever thought about how hard it would be to reverse punch the solar plexus through body armor? Or pull off one of those cool kenpo flurries on a fully kitted up soldier complete with cup, rifle, jacket(armor), helmet and steel toes? Let's here it for arnis, judo, and krav maga. Maybe budo taijutsu? Tiring trying to figure out the right " blend" for the highest percentage of situations you are likely to encounter isn't it?

#366364 - 02/23/08 09:18 PM Re: Student wears bullet proof vest to school.... [Re: yuanofkienninja]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

Loc: POM, Monterey CA
yuan, we're not supposed to wear steel-toes to combat. The steel plating becomes a shrapnel hazard in an explosion. One of my Drill Sergeants knew someone who was killed by a toe popper mine because of the steel plating. He would have lived, albeit sans foot.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga