FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 47 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
cxt 1
ergees 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
#365997 - 10/22/07 02:36 AM Re: Bunkai Methods....................? [Re: medulanet]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Hi Medulant.

So are you saying that on the video it is a stepping stone so to speak? Then perhaps they would move on to applications that resemble the techniques done during the kata practice after establishing a basis for their use?

If I could draw a parrelel. Might sound idiotic but I have been watching/ analising some of Tank Abbot's fights.

In one of his fights I can see basic techniques found in BJJ( and more than likely other grappling styles) on the ground done with a variation. The problem is with out knowing these basics done in a somewhat boring and mundane way I wouldnt have recognised what he is actualy doing.

Is this what your argument is?

Jude

#365998 - 10/22/07 03:37 AM Re: Bunkai Methods....................? [Re: jude33]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA
I am saying that the drills are used for several different reasons, none of which are the acutal fighting application of Shorin Ryu techniques. They condition the arms and legs, develop quick and agile movement, they develop basic distance control, and develop proper techinque. It is important to remeber that Matsubayashi is a precision striking art. These drills are designed to develop precise movements. Once precision, conditioning, and mobility under fire is gained then the fighting application of kata is explored.

#365999 - 10/22/07 07:17 AM Re: Bunkai Methods....................? [Re: medulanet]
Shonuff Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: London, UK
Sorry Med, when replying I was thinking of my own experience in Shotokan, which as we know is always stiff and robotic

#366000 - 10/23/07 07:35 AM Re: Bunkai Methods....................? [Re: shoshinkan]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

so Jim, in the 2 videos you referenced at this thread's opening, do you see any usefulness or change your mind about that kind of training method?

personally, I don't see it as anything but bad habit forming. not even for a temporary of progressive study. why train 2-person drills that are conceptually far removed from later study?

what can they be possibly isolating to benefit? timing? mai? there are better ways to develop those skills without involving pre-arrainged long-range attacks. IMO.

just my opinion, but I'm seeing whats shown in the video as fairly useless training and bad habit forming. I would categorize both vids as examples of how NOT to train kata.

#366001 - 10/23/07 07:42 AM Re: Bunkai Methods....................? [Re: medulanet]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

I am saying that the drills are used for several different reasons, none of which are the acutal fighting application of Shorin Ryu techniques. They condition the arms and legs, develop quick and agile movement, they develop basic distance control, and develop proper techinque. It is important to remeber that Matsubayashi is a precision striking art. These drills are designed to develop precise movements. Once precision, conditioning, and mobility under fire is gained then the fighting application of kata is explored.

Thanks Medulant. I can see the use of that.

Quote:

Shonuff
Sorry Med, when replying I was thinking of my own experience in Shotokan, which as we know is always stiff and robotic

I am inclined to agree with that.Some shotokan seems to be . Basic wado was the same.
It would seem Itosu's teachings were never realy further explored other than from people like vince morris,
and Geoff Thompson etc.

Jude

#366002 - 10/23/07 09:05 AM Re: Bunkai Methods....................? [Re: Ed_Morris]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

so Jim, in the 2 videos you referenced at this thread's opening, do you see any usefulness or change your mind about that kind of training method?

personally, I don't see it as anything but bad habit forming. not even for a temporary of progressive study. why train 2-person drills that are conceptually far removed from later study?

what can they be possibly isolating to benefit? timing? mai? there are better ways to develop those skills without involving pre-arrainged long-range attacks. IMO.

just my opinion, but I'm seeing whats shown in the video as fairly useless training and bad habit forming. I would categorize both vids as examples of how NOT to train kata.

Ed

I think I can see the skill building that is being used that others have spoken about.I suppose its a beggining. Maybe later the long range attacks are/should be duplicated? The blocks turn in to strikes but I dont study Medulants style so I cant comment.
As robotic as they look I think I can see the purpose.

Can I ask what you think the methods of teaching such things are?

Jude

#366003 - 10/23/07 10:05 AM Re: Bunkai Methods....................? [Re: jude33]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

methods such as the drills shown in the videos? I think they are effective at developing bad habits. If as a visual demonstration, this kind of choreographing is not particularly imaginitive....it follows the 'arms as swords' mindset.

#366004 - 10/23/07 10:50 AM Re: Bunkai Methods....................? [Re: Ed_Morris]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Quote:

methods such as the drills shown in the videos? I think they are effective at developing bad habits. If as a visual demonstration, this kind of choreographing is not particularly imaginitive....it follows the 'arms as swords' mindset.

Yes it appears to but maybe its a part of a thought out progression. That said at some point progression should be made?
I would however like to see the progression if such a one exists.

It would seem that Vince Morris is also some what against the typical karate attack method judging by his videos.

Jude

#366005 - 10/23/07 07:49 PM Re: Bunkai Methods....................? [Re: Ed_Morris]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Quote:

I agree Ed. It's the same thing as showing and teaching kata as fighting with your back against a wall or taking on five opponents from different directions who take turns attacking you as a form of BUNKai. Then after they make brown belt, show them what it really is.

#366006 - 10/24/07 04:54 AM Re: Bunkai Methods....................? [Re: medulanet]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
Quote:

Why not practice those attributes WHILE practicing fighting applications?
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

Page 5 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga