FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
AndyLA 1
Matakiant 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >
Topic Options
#365751 - 10/31/07 06:37 PM Re: Strikes In Aikido - how realistic are they [Re: iaibear]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
ABSOLUTELY NO STRIKES IN THE DOJO.... once the students unionize, you lose total control of the situation...

Atemi, however, on every technique...

(If I didn't hit you, I didn't do anything to you)...

#365752 - 11/01/07 12:19 AM Re: Strikes In Aikido - how realistic are they [Re: wristtwister]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Quote:

The corollary to that is, "move or get hit".

#365753 - 11/01/07 07:37 AM Re: Strikes In Aikido - how realistic are they [Re: eyrie]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

ah, so when you say, "motion in stillness" you simply mean relaxed (non-tense) movement.

it takes a while to get that in Aikido (or any other MA for that matter), yes? hundreds of hours engaging in progressive 2-person drills, I'd think is the required to start seeing refinement and efficiency in movement being developed.

would you agree with that?

#365754 - 11/01/07 10:58 AM Re: Strikes In Aikido - how realistic are they [Re: eyrie]
iaibear Offline
Veteran

Loc: upstate New York
Quote:

Quote:

The corollary to that is, "move or get hit".

Paraphrased: If you get hit, it's your own fault.

Always liked that one. :-)

#365755 - 11/01/07 06:15 PM Re: Strikes In Aikido - how realistic are they [Re: Ed_Morris]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

ah, so when you say, "motion in stillness" you simply mean relaxed (non-tense) movement.

it takes a while to get that in Aikido (or any other MA for that matter), yes? hundreds of hours engaging in progressive 2-person drills, I'd think is the required to start seeing refinement and efficiency in movement being developed.

would you agree with that?

<off-topic>Nope... I mean motion in stillness. There's always going to be *some* movement. But sometimes, a subtle shift of the body or angle is all that is required. That's still movement. Where that movement originates is a totally different matter... and the difference between "internally" sourced movement or "externally" sourced movement.</off-topic>

#365756 - 11/02/07 10:27 AM Re: Strikes In Aikido - how realistic are they [Re: evad74]
Anonymous
Unregistered

From tori's POV, we use "pain" as a compliance tool for fully resistant opponents.

"Pain" being in the form of a light slap across the face to get kazushi in a entering technique, or making your uke really light on their toes in tembin nage from the elbow pressure.

Pain is a wonderful motivator, but it doesn't have to be in the form of joint or limb destruction (maybe if your life depended on it in a dark alley) in class. In my early years, the "pain" of kote gaeshi made me think more about the technique, and how it could be applied to different body types (small wrists, big wrists, weak, strong, etc). We have a student with flexible wrists to the point that kote gaeshi applied properly doesn't hurt, but applied properly with proper kazushi, and he goes every time.

Now, can someone define how aiki (as it was coined by Soemon Tekeda) can move a fully resistant opponent?

All the harmonous blending the in world isn't going to throw/project an opponent without a little bit of kazushi? Am I wrong?

#365757 - 11/02/07 06:29 PM Re: Strikes In Aikido - how realistic are they [Re: eyrie]
Ames Offline
Veteran

Quote:

But here's a thought... aiki implies kuzushi ON or before contact. If you have to use atemi to get uke to move, in order to setup kuzushi, it means you haven't got it on contact. Which means, no aiki. Also, there are some people who will simply stand there and let you smack them, and still not move. So atemi may not ALWAYS be appropriate...

I'd say that if a person is still just standing there after you strike them, you better figure out what you're doing wrong, because your atemi has no Aiki.

--Chris

#365758 - 11/02/07 07:39 PM Re: Strikes In Aikido - how realistic are they [Re: Ames]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

I was referring to beginners and some not so beginners, who will not react to an atemi... they will stand there completely oblivious to the fact that an incoming strike is going to land. Now in training, and with a beginner, actually landing the strike isn't always the best way to help them learn how to receive.

PS: In any case, I view atemi as a "one strike, one kill" fight ender - it is a waste of energy to view it any other way. Bearing that in mind, actually hitting someone in a training environment, is not something I usually do. But the intent is always there. If the person is unable to read that intent and initiate preemptive measures, I will tone it down a lot more. And perhaps, merely indicate where the openings are...

Edited by eyrie (11/02/07 07:56 PM)

#365759 - 11/04/07 06:05 AM Re: Strikes In Aikido - how realistic are they [Re: eyrie]
evad74 Offline

Loc: Qld, Australia
Quote:

In any case, I view atemi as a "one strike, one kill" fight ender - it is a waste of energy to view it any other way.

eyrie, could you elaborate a little on this. What about "set up" strikes, something to get a PDR? There not exactly fight ending by themselves, but open up a multitude of opportunities for locks, throws, submissions etc..

#365760 - 11/04/07 07:05 AM Re: Strikes In Aikido - how realistic are they [Re: evad74]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

PDR?

Not sure if we're talking about the same thing.

When most people talk about atemi as a "setup", they usually mean a feint (usually in an attempt to apply metsubishi) or light tap to create movement which then allows you to execute THE technique. (E.g. a feint to scratch across the eyes, before leading into shiho-nage). I don't agree with this view. A feint is pretending to strike, and a light tap is hardly a strike (although my light taps do have some interesting effects on some people).

The fact that a strike does lead into a technique is the result of uke physically responding to the strike - either they move to preempt the strike or it is a physical reaction as a result of the strike. In the first instance, if they move, you have to change the follow up. If they move in a non-predictable fashion then the follow up technique would have to be something that logically follows how they responded. That is hardly a "setup". I suppose you could call it a "setup" if they moved predictably, but it would hardly be a strike.

To me a "setup" is an attack to a vulnerable area which causes an involuntary but predictable reaction on uke's part (i.e. a strike to a nerve point).

For example, from a front lapel grab, if you hit or cut down on the kyusho point on the outside of the elbow crease (the "setup"), it not only numbs the arm, but also opens up the neck area for a follow thru shoto uke - thus ending the encounter. Of course, in training, we play nicely and do a gentle kubi nage or kokyu nage and throw the person away.

Or I might ignore their attack altogether and start to move into a position where just as they enter in, they will run into my strike. Usually this looks like various versions of kokyu nage, but to me, this is atemi, and my hand is the shoto. Even if I change it to a gentle kokyu nage to facilitate a beginner to take ukemi, the intent to strike/cut down is always there. So landing the atemi itself is not always appropriate, but the intent to do so is always there. Some people simply have no ki that you can ai with.

Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga