FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
SoulJah22 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10
Topic Options
#365801 - 12/11/07 09:05 PM Re: Strikes In Aikido - how realistic are they [Re: iaibear]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
Iaibear,
I don't think "muscle memory" is of much use in dissipating force. You might be better served to pick up a physics book and see how deflection and redirection affect applied forces, then try to realign attacks into the prescribed energy patterns that are available to you. Start with circles, figure 8's , and figure 6's... and don't forget good old straight lines.

To deflect, you have to either blend or push slightly on your entry (talking ikkyo here) and pivot at the point of contact to get both of you going in the same direction. (Remember, I believe all technique is "ikkyo".)

Now that you're confused, let me explain...
Put your arms out in ikkyo posture, in arm swords...
Now, turn your hips right, and bring your right arm down into one side of a figure 8, bringing your left hand close to your right shoulder. Repeat the same movement to the left side, allowing your hands to pass each other as you face forward at 0 degrees... consider facing forward 0... right 90, and left -90 degrees. Keep your arms swords through the loop, and your hands "soft". This is a basic entry for irimi, and I'll leave it at that for the time being.

With that simple exercise, you should be able to intercept any kind of attack except yoko menuchi, and for that, you reverse the movement of your arms to cross your body. If you were "picturing it", it is a figure 8 bent around a circle.

Once you get those motions in place, think of their use as "if the force is outside or straight" (as in shomen), step toward the point of interception... if the force is inside or horizontal, step away and allow the point of interception to come to you.

That simple exercise should give you the lead in almost every technique you try. From there on, it's timing and blending, along with tenkan. (Change hands as necessary)

If you're centered, and your ma-ai is correct, there isn't a technique in Aikido that I know of that you couldn't do. Entering the same space with your attacker is the key, but like a tornado, you want to be the center, and use them as the outside "winds". Dynamically, that's exactly how it works.

The only other instruction I might give you would be "don't be a jerk"... and by that, don't be so anxious to "do the technique" that you lose the timing and jerk out of the grip. Match your timing and movement with your uke, and you'll find much more satisfaction with how easily they are thrown... and they will appreciate it because they'll know exactly what they need to do to protect themselves.

In Judo, it's called "jite Kyoe" (probably misspelled it), which means "you, me, shining together". What it means is that your defense or attack is neither... only part of a movement involving two people... which is Aikido...

I really hope you figure this stuff out... it's hard to teach on a bulletin board...

#365802 - 12/12/07 12:00 AM Re: Strikes In Aikido - how realistic are they [Re: wristtwister]
iaibear Offline
Veteran

Loc: upstate New York
Interesting to intercept just about any technique I try. Receiving and countering a yokomenuchi works pretty well.

Usually I do not get to "try" a technique. The idea is to duplicate sensei's demonstration. (Think of eight years playing follow-the-leader.)

When I first started @ 1994 I truly enjoyed being in a kids class because there they did take the time to discuss what the movements were. Until then it was like trying to dissect a plate of spaghetti.

Edited by iaibear (12/12/07 12:12 AM)

#365803 - 12/12/07 09:35 PM Re: Strikes In Aikido - how realistic are they [Re: iaibear]
wristtwister Offline

My only answer for that is to practice outside of class. Surely they don't care if you practice before and after class. I'd have never learned anything if all the training I did was in the class hour. I still practice 1 to 2 hours outside of class for every hour I'm in class.

Just a thought...

#365804 - 12/13/07 10:53 AM Re: Strikes In Aikido - how realistic are they [Re: wristtwister]
iaibear Offline
Veteran

Quote:

My only answer for that is to practice outside of class. Surely they don't care if you practice before and after class. I'd have never learned anything if all the training I did was in the class hour. I still practice 1 to 2 hours outside of class for every hour I'm in class.

Just a thought...

And a good thought, if I had a place, a partner and some correct thing to practice. Afternoons the dojo is locked except for class.

<< I don't think "muscle memory" is of much use in dissipating force. You might be better served to pick up a physics book and see how deflection and redirection affect applied forces, then try to realign attacks into the prescribed energy patterns that are available to you. Start with circles, figure 8's, and figure 6's... and don't forget good old straight lines. >>

Maybe I am misleading you with the term of "muscle memory". To me that takes care of getting the feet to move off line, getting arms, body/hips and attention to follow my center. Which leaves my head/instincts free to handle the interceptions and misdirection.

BTW: circles I think I understand what you mean; 8's and 6's I don't.

#365805 - 01/07/08 11:39 PM Re: Strikes In Aikido - how realistic are they [Re: iaibear]
wristtwister Offline

Sorry I let this one lie around a couple of weeks.

Quote:

BTW: circles I think I understand what you mean; 8's and 6's I don't.

Follow the shape of the numbers... an 8 is the same as infinity only vertical... or 2 S-shapes back to face... the 6 is a large circle blending in to a smaller circle. Once you get that in mind, think about your arms and body moving not only horizontally in those shapes, but changing elevations as you do them... creating spirals which your opponent's body have to keep up with. Quite often, the body simply isn't designed to do it... so the "attacker" is led into a position where it's easier to fall down than to try to remain standing. (Or the energy release simply blows him out of his shoes...)

I teach a series of techniques that are called "palms up - palms down", where the "normal" attack is "tricked" by simply changing the structure of the grip attack. Where a katate grip is normally done "thumb vertical", just prior to the grip, flip your hand over and point your thumb down. Once the grip is made, simply turn your hand back over to it's natural position, and see how it affects the attacker. Then, add a step backwards forcing the attacker to "reach" for you, doing the same thing, and you will begin to see how to affect their body mechanics with simply reversing the "expected" attack.

Make sure you keep your arms in the "arm sword", and let your elbows fall to their natural position. You will see exactly how powerful simple body positions can be. Then, you can begin to blend their energy into the shapes I've described and you'll see their bodies doing all kinds of things they don't expect. All they can do is try to keep up...

...and don't try to be "quick" with your technique... match their speed, and you'll find they step right into the techniques for you.

#365806 - 01/08/08 09:56 AM Re: Strikes In Aikido - how realistic are they [Re: wristtwister]
iaibear Offline
Veteran

Sure gives me something to try in class this afternoon. Thanks

#365807 - 01/15/08 07:50 PM Re: Strikes In Aikido - how realistic are they [Re: iaibear]
wristtwister Offline

How'd it work out?

#365808 - 01/15/08 07:58 PM Re: Strikes In Aikido - how realistic are they [Re: wristtwister]
iaibear Offline
Veteran

Never happened. Sorry

Life interrupted

Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga