FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 3
futsaowingchun 3
Matakiant 3
kolslaw 1
Bartfast 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 12:10 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Victor Smith
09/28/14 07:11 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35579 Topics
432500 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 23 of 23 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23
Topic Options
#365397 - 11/24/07 12:33 PM Re: Chi:Shoes &amp;amp; Metal parts [Re: Bossman]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
cool story, Bossman. I also heard about the guy who told his TC counterpart "Nothing can stop my side-kick". To prove it he let fly with one. The TC guy swivelled his hips and the kick missed... "Nothing!"

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#365398 - 11/24/07 01:05 PM Re: Chi:Shoes &amp;amp; Metal parts [Re: trevek]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Jude, to be honest, I don't know. Over the last few years I've also done things like traditional Polish dancing where I had to retrain my body, as the TKD body I had interfered with the dancing (I would spring to high in polkas and lose the beat!).

I should imagine that would have created problems. Could it be said that any sudden rise would go down well with the female dancing partners?
Quote:

I think it has something to do with lowering my centre of balance. I have also unconsciously changed my running technique in that I no longer take the long strides which I used to, I take smaller, more rapid steps but more generated from the waist (I think). Funnily enough, I noticed when running with some Chinese actors that this was the kind of thing they did (in contrast to my 'western' striding run).

I wouldnt be to sure how I actualy run as in longer slower running. When I do sprint I run like I run. I have watched coaches saying not to use the shoulders. I do use the shoulders. I do try and lift my knees higher. Point of contact is the front part of my foot. I am going to have to study some sprinters.

Quote:

Don't know if this helps answer the question.

I believe in training the body to its best use. Surely this will differ depending on peoples different bone lengths?
Some one who is tall with long legs will be have a different technique than someone who is shorter?

Or maybe not?

Jude

#365399 - 11/24/07 05:39 PM Re: Chi:Shoes &amp;amp; Metal parts [Re: Bossman]
Bossman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chatham Kent UK
Quote:

Hi Jude

I spend a long time teaching people how to stand, then walk and then run so that they are practicing the 'internal' side of the MA 24/7. It would take an article to begin to describe it - but as I'm due to write one this w/e - you've chosen my subject for me - so I'll post it here as soon as it's written.

And here's the first draft....

Quote:

“Tonight, I’m going to teach you how to stand, walk and then run,” sifu waited for the statement to sink in.

“Well excuse me sifu, I’ve only been practising that for the last 24 years,” said Jamie with an air of mock sarcasm.

“And you’re not very good at it, are you….” Sifu answered with a statement more than a question. “This is the problem, standing, walking and running are everyday uses of the human body, when we can do this skilfully, we are practicing our martial arts all of the time – and importantly, improving our health and vigour. If we perform these functions mindlessly, then we are unskilful more than we are skilful, this is going to make learning martial arts hard work. A couple of hours a week learning to move skilfully and then 166 hours a week standing, walking, running, sitting and laying unskilfully will tip the balance towards the unskilful favour every time…”

“I never looked at it that way,” Jamie said thoughtfully.

“If you can’t stand properly, how the hell can you expect to do any martial arts with any level of skill asked sifu?”

“That’s true – let’s get it on” exclaimed Jamie with great enthusiasm.

“Okay everyone, face the direction you feel ‘drawn’ to and stand naturally with your feet in line with your shoulders, feeling all the surface of your feet on the floor, be aware of the arch of each foot and the power point at the rear centre of the arch and the kidney point at the front centre. When we are ‘standing’ and not becoming active, we want to ‘open the gates’ and allow energy to flow naturally through the body utilising its own intelligence without any interference from our mind, so for this purpose we stand on the ‘top’ of the arches so as to not activate anything through the feet.

As we press from the feet to make our body fully upright, stretch the spine upwards - as if being pulled up by a rope attached to the crown of the head. Open the gap at the base of the skull by tucking the chin in and pulling the head upwards. Whilst standing tall with your bones, soften the tissue covering the structure so it ‘hangs’ on an upright skeleton.

Now join the governor and conception vessels at the top end by placing the tongue to the top palette just behind the teeth and gently press. Join them at the bottom by using the ‘zip and tuck’ method – as if trying to zip yourself into a tight pair of jeans, pull your lower abdomen in and upwards.

Sink and hollow the chest by releasing tension, there are five stages of ‘letting go’ that will eventually connect that point to the feet. This also opens the back, enabling the shoulder blades to be pulled apart and slightly down. Breathe from the stomach and feel as if you are filling the stomach with air and then the back by ‘flaring’ the lat muscles.

Sink your bodyweight into the muscles and tendons as opposed to the joints by releasing the ankles, knees, hips and chest. Sense which side of the body is yin and which is yang in the equally weighted posture.

Now we use the ‘standing posture’ to increase our sensitivity.

Close your eyes if you feel comfortable, or just let them drift out of focus, this will help you to focus on your other senses. The classics say there must be ‘activity within inactivity’ and ‘inactivity within activity’. Sharpen your other senses and feel the location of everything and everyone around you, increasing your depth of perception and hearing the sounds and feeling all movement that you would otherwise not sense.

Increasing sensitivity is the key. Feel as if all your energy is bought to the skin increasing its sensitivity and feel as if someone touched you they would get an electric shock.

Your mind is like sandpaper, in everyday life it is coarse and only picks up on the necessary stimulus for you to carry out mundane tasks or deal with an emergency, everything else gets screened out, so like the sandpaper we need to gradually make it finer. Your ‘activity in inactivity’ here is to sharpen your senses and be able to pick up on the signs that everybody else misses.”

“But you can’t walk with that kind of mind can you”, asked Jamie?

“Not exactly, but you can have all your senses sharpened for everyday life”, answered sifu. “But let’s get on to walking…

To create motion, direct your bodyweight at an angle of 45 degrees backwards into the previously mentioned ‘power point’ ‘zip and tuck’ and sink the chest to roll the ribcage down creating a pump in the waist, pulse from power point to the kidney point the yin foot taking the head to the yang foot and weighting it, with the waist spiralling around to unpeel the yin foot off the floor. The foot comes off the floor with a final pulse and slight ‘flinch’ to ensure that it is fully empty and light in movement. The step forward feels like something being thrown off a spiral into a straight line. As you walk slightly swing your arms in the same order as a soldier would when marching, leading to the spiralling motion of the waist and the slight turn of the head into each foot.

This way, the entire internal system is being ‘pumped’ with each step and you are using the same stepping motion that you use in your martial arts. You will also become more internally sensitive as time goes by and be constantly developing your power sources and awareness..”

The students had been following sifu’s instructions and were now walking around the kwoon, almost like prisoners in a prison yard.

“All you need now sifu is the mirrored sunglasses and shotgun!” Jamie just couldn’t resist the analogy.

“Okay guys now to run, speed the process so that the pulse from the feet is driving the head forward and the head leads the body, use the waist to pump the legs.

No problem….”

“This is nothing like I was doing before,” exclaimed Jamie.

“Absolutely” replied sifu – “now you can adapt tai chi to every movement you make in life and be training all the time as you move, stand and then apply it to sitting and lying, the four positions the Buddha recommended for meditation - meaning you should be mindful all of the time…”

#365400 - 11/24/07 08:12 PM Re: Chi:Shoes &amp;amp; Metal parts [Re: Bossman]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Hi

Is this the simple version?

Just kidding.

Fine

Following everything.

Jude

Awaiting the next instalment.

#365401 - 11/24/07 09:53 PM Re: Chi:Shoes &amp;amp; Metal parts [Re: jude33]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
How does this thread manage to not get locked up? Do we have mods who are chi junkies or something? Seriously! What gives here?

Sort of tells you about the state of this site when the largest thread has to do with freakin CHI: shoes and metal parts!

People, get lives. Actually train. Do something. Get in touch with the Amazing Randi. Anything.

#365402 - 11/25/07 02:23 AM Re: Chi:Shoes &amp;amp; Metal parts [Re: JKogas]
Bossman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chatham Kent UK
Shows the diversity of the MA John, shame tolerance only goes one way isn't it?

#365403 - 11/25/07 05:30 AM Re: Chi:Shoes &amp;amp; Metal parts [Re: JKogas]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

How does this thread manage to not get locked up? Do we have mods who are chi junkies or something? Seriously! What gives here?

Sort of tells you about the state of this site when the largest thread has to do with freakin CHI: shoes and metal parts!

People, get lives. Actually train. Do something. Get in touch with the Amazing Randi. Anything.

Do train John.
Train hard. I would like it to be harder but need to recover sometimes.
But I think the correct body alignment is important
for maximum power?

I also think the use of the waist/hips for power is neglected in running leading to lactic acid build up in the calfs.

From what I see the greco roman wrestlers get good power in their throws/supplex? when their body is in the correct alignment for the throw?.

This more than likely applies to running? Some coaches say to sprint without using shoulders for momentum.
I find using the momentum from the shoulders I can sprint faster. I find on doing longer runs massive lactic acid build up in the calfs. This means I am finding it hard to get my goal.

Can I ask about your thoughts on sprinting, running and lactic acid build up in the calfs? Techniques in running?
My goal is a mile and a half running in under 11 minutes on the longer runs.

That is what bossman is discussing. Body alignment for Running. It might lead to more productive training.

Jude

#365404 - 11/25/07 11:51 AM Re: Chi:Shoes &amp;amp; Metal parts [Re: jude33]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
Quote:

Could it be said that any sudden rise would go down well with the female dancing partners?

depends where the rise is and how close the dance partner is

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#365405 - 12/04/07 10:57 AM Re: Chi:Shoes &amp;amp; Metal parts [Re: trevek]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Quote:

Could it be said that any sudden rise would go down well with the female dancing partners?

depends where the rise is and how close the dance partner is

Well actualy I meant a rise in the body heat.

Just an update. tried incorperating some of the things Bossman stated. The physical things. Lactic acid seems to be less. I can feel the ache more in my legs than my calfs.
Seem to be using more of my body on longer runs.

Early days yet.

Just a quick question. Seeing as this is IMA's therefore bagau , tai chi etc .
There are some parrellel lines with other arts.
Anybody wish to discuss them?

I would start a new thread but I am not realy sure how to.

Jude

Page 23 of 23 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga