FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Yesterday at 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#363999 - 10/05/07 02:50 PM Re: Smokers...grrrr [Re: RazorFoot]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

Especially when they target children so the addiction takes root at a young age and grows as they grow.

But, in todays media pervasive society, is it more important to ban and censor, or to educate the young on the nature of all advertising, thus arming them to deal with the many pressures and agendas they will encounter outside of smoking in our culture?

As for modern transport being inherently 'good', it is not- it is convenient. Outside of energency services, the only reason we have developed a need for motorised transport is because it has irrevocably changed our living patterns- we 'need' a car to get to work, to see friends and family, to get to the super-duper 67 screen imax, to carry the bags and bags of shopping we buy at the hypermarket. Before it became easy to travel, families did not migrate far from their birthplace, we made friends within our imediate habitat, and we grew food and bought/traded in sensible quantities of basic unprocessed food stuffs.

Ask Grumbleweed how much he 'needs' his car to get to work these days- 2 years ago he drove everywhere, now he hardly ever uses his car to commute- he cycles and sometimes he runs to and from work! Its all about personal choice.

I am not 'pro' smoking, I am 'pro' personal control over my own health. If I choose to do something without looking into the risks, then that is my responsibility, providing the info is available. Do you honestly think there is a smoker in the world that picks up a pack one day and sees the surgeon general warning and suddenly says 'WHOA!!? I THOUGHT THESE THINGS WERE GOOD FOR ME!!?'

My dad left school in 1942, and remembers his PE teacher telling his class 'if you want to do well at sports, dont smoke- its bad for your breathing'

Personal control. Personal responsibility. No scapegoats.

#364000 - 10/05/07 03:19 PM Re: Smokers...grrrr [Re: Cord]
grumbleweed Offline

I love zippo lighters with bald eagles, bears, wolves all that imagary i'd almost take up smoking so to have a valid reason to own one and go for smoking breaks at work standing around nonchalently with.... or become a fire starter?

#364001 - 10/05/07 03:31 PM Re: Smokers...grrrr [Re: Cord]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

But, in todays media pervasive society, is it more important to ban and censor, or to educate the young on the nature of all advertising, thus arming them to deal with the many pressures and agendas they will encounter outside of smoking in our culture?

Fair point, and I am all about education. And if the cigarette companies were even remotely honest about the true nature of their product, I might even agree. But let's not kid ourselves that they have even attempted to be open about what it is they are purveying. They actively lie and adulterate their product to make it extremely difficult to quit, whilst at the same time making an underhanded attempt to lure the only market that does not have the "personal responsibility" to make an informed choice - children.

Quote:

As for modern transport being inherently 'good', it is not- it is convenient. Outside of energency services, the only reason we have developed a need for motorised transport is because it has irrevocably changed our living patterns- we 'need' a car to get to work, to see friends and family, to get to the super-duper 67 screen imax, to carry the bags and bags of shopping we buy at the hypermarket. Before it became easy to travel, families did not migrate far from their birthplace, we made friends within our imediate habitat, and we grew food and bought/traded in sensible quantities of basic unprocessed food stuffs.

I get your point, but let's not forget that 100+ years ago, the average life expectancy was more like 40-50 years old on average, compared to 70-80 now. Health-wise at least, it's hard to argue that it was better in the old days.

I don't think anyone has said that modern transportation is "good" as in "good and evil". But it has certainly been a positive force overall in terms of societal development. The ability to move food, medicine, clothing and other goods and services has had a beneficial impact on humans as a whole. Motorized transportation also served to speed the move of the most important commodity in human existence - knowledge. Before the internet, vehicles helped to spread ideas and improved ways of doing things to a much larger part of the world than ever before.

Has their been a cost? Certainly. But looking at it from a cost/benefit ratio, one simply cannot compare transport to cigarettes, IMHO.

Quote:

I am not 'pro' smoking, I am 'pro' personal control over my own health. If I choose to do something without looking into the risks, then that is my responsibility, providing the info is available. Do you honestly think there is a smoker in the world that picks up a pack one day and sees the surgeon general warning and suddenly says 'WHOA!!? I THOUGHT THESE THINGS WERE GOOD FOR ME!!?'

Yes. Kids.

Quote:

My dad left school in 1942, and remembers his PE teacher telling his class 'if you want to do well at sports, dont smoke- its bad for your breathing'

Cord, 98% agree with you there.
Cigarette companies that target children are no better than pedophiles, IMHO.

#364002 - 10/05/07 03:39 PM Re: Smokers...grrrr [Re: Cord]
JMWcorwin Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SoCal, USA
Quote:

Nicely put.

Edited by JMWcorwin (10/05/07 03:40 PM)

#364003 - 10/05/07 04:19 PM Re: Smokers...grrrr [Re: MattJ]
Spade Offline

Loc: Auburn, Al.
Quote:

Quote:

They don't need some goody two-shoes holding a red dot on there chest saying "truth, smoking kills" on the TV set.

You know what also kills? Cheese Burgers, Coke, Alcohol, Twix, Oreos etc...

WRONG WRONG WRONG. So wrong....sheesh.

All those things you named have a PRIMARY purpose that is positive - people have to eat.

But you don't have to eat junk food, if eating was the primary concern there are much better alternatives then cake and ice cream.

Junk food is about self indulgence; we all know junk food is bad for us, but we eat it anyway, smokers know smoking is bad for them, they do it anyway.

You can get addicted to sugar, caffeine, nicotine, alcohol.

How many people die due to heart attack because they didn't have healthy eating habits?

It just, in my mind seems like this topic sort of vilified smokers for smoking and causing harm to themselves; while Mr Big mac is out there clogging arteries.

I want to say we all agree that, at this point, with the knowledge available in this day and age, its about personal choice.

#364004 - 10/05/07 04:24 PM Re: Smokers...grrrr [Re: Spade]
RazorFoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Seated at the computer, DUH
Quote:

I want to say we all agree that, at this point, with the knowledge available in this day and age, its about personal choice.

No we don't. It's about personal choice when you are responsible enough to make a choice. A lot of kids aren't given all the info they need and even then still aren't capable of making an informed responsible choice.

#364005 - 10/05/07 04:27 PM Re: Smokers...grrrr [Re: Spade]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

its about personal choice.

Is it really? Or is it you have the right to choose only what dudley do gooder has decided is OK for you to choose? And as the indentify some activity having any chance of harming you, they quick move to "save the children" and outlaw and the offensive activity that threatens to one day possibly harm you, or the children.

If someone wants to chance dying young so they can smoke, fine thats between them and God. But I am sick and tired of that being anyone elses business.

But hey you want to ban smoking, fine but new rules every time you take something away, you have to give something back.

So you can't smoke cigs anymore, but you can smoke Pot.

Damn health Mauraders.

#364006 - 10/05/07 04:35 PM Re: Smokers...grrrr [Re: RazorFoot]
Spade Offline

Loc: Auburn, Al.
Quote:

Quote:

No we don't. It's about personal choice when you are responsible enough to make a choice. A lot of kids aren't given all the info they need and even then still aren't capable of making an informed responsible choice.

Who judges when someone is responsible enough to make that choice? Do they all of a sudden receive enlightenment from the age of 17 to 18?

#364007 - 10/05/07 04:46 PM Re: Smokers...grrrr [Re: Spade]
RazorFoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Seated at the computer, DUH
When you talk about products with addictive principles, for children, is there really ever a choice once you start?

#364008 - 10/05/07 04:47 PM Re: Smokers...grrrr [Re: Spade]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

But you don't have to eat junk food, if eating was the primary concern there are much better alternatives then cake and ice cream.

Junk food is about self indulgence; we all know junk food is bad for us, but we eat it anyway, smokers know smoking is bad for them, they do it anyway.

You are still missing the point entirely. THE INTENT OF FOOD IS NOT TO KILL YOU. Cigarettes are the opposite. You do realize that many people that die in home fires die from the smoke, not the fire, right? Smoke = death. Period.

Quote:

You can get addicted to sugar, caffeine, nicotine, alcohol.

Sugar? Addicted physically? Are you sure about that?

Quote:

How many people die due to heart attack because they didn't have healthy eating habits?

Missing the point, again. ANYTHING can kill you in excess - even oxygen. But you need oxygen to live. You need food to live, and can live off of junk food. You cannot live off of cigarettes - at all.

Quote:

It just, in my mind seems like this topic sort of vilified smokers for smoking and causing harm to themselves; while Mr Big mac is out there clogging arteries.

*I* have not vilified smokers. I even married one.

Quote:

Not when the company that creates the product actively, continually lies about it.

Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, RazorFoot, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga