FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 51 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#363989 - 10/05/07 12:22 PM Re: Smokers...grrrr [Re: oldman]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
That's funny!

#363990 - 10/05/07 12:43 PM Re: Smokers...grrrr [Re: butterfly]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
My father had 3 heart attacks with the last resulting in a triple by-pass. He was a chain smoker and now still smokes. Of course he had other problems as well such as too much salt, over-weight, stress and an alcoholic, but there is no doubt that smoking was a factor.

What gets me is going to the hospital and seeing all of those people outside smoking, especially the ones in their wheel chairs with their oxygen masks pulled down around their neck so they can smoke. Or just a few days ago in Edmonton (closest city to me) a well known author's house went up in smoke because his daughter who had cancer went to smoke a cigarette and her oxygen tank exploded.

The smoker has to take some responsibility, however I like many smokers, just not the smoking. Inconsiderate smokers who toss their butts everywhere or purposely blow smoke your way I do hate. You choose to smoke and I don't so keep it to yourself and we'll be fine. What I really laugh at is that I work for a chemical company and I know of people phoning in who are heavy smokers and they have the gull to ask for "nontoxic" chemicals or environmentally friendly chemicals or user friendly chemicals. Why should it matter to them?

Again it is the act of smoking and that it does no good what so ever that I dislike the most. And yes the manufacturers are the worst.

#363991 - 10/05/07 01:04 PM Re: Smokers...grrrr [Re: oldman]
grumbleweed Offline

i'm not anti smoking i just never got around to trying and thought they were pretty unhealthy and stupid habit long ago, but each to their own. some of the money i saved not smoking went on flying around the world in boeing 747's for alot of my adult life that guzzle tons of nasty fumes so no double standards from me!! i think the pub ban is unfair, pubs are for drinking and smoking, i've never heard of anyone running someone over after smoking a packet of F-A-G-S (censor that ) down the nags head!!

that said nobody is smoking in my house, ever, no exceptions!

#363992 - 10/05/07 01:14 PM Re: Smokers...grrrr [Re: grumbleweed]
Zombie Zero Offline
Compliance & Liability
Veteran

Loc: Lorton, VA
A topic-related picture to entertain and enrage...

#363993 - 10/05/07 01:29 PM Re: Smokers...grrrr [Re: Zombie Zero]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Cheese'n'rice!

#363994 - 10/05/07 01:44 PM Re: Smokers...grrrr [Re: RazorFoot]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

I would if car related carcinogens were killing my family members

Asthma and non smoking related emphysema are increasing throughout the developed world, both killers, both attributed to increased fossil fuel pollution, largely contributed by motor vehicles.

Quote:

seems smoking has killed one and is now the main cause of my father's terminal cancer so forgive me if having been an ex smoker (11 years) I happen to think it is an unnecessary death.

i am sorry for your troubles Scottie, truly i am, i too have lost family to smoking related illness, but i respect the memory of those gone as intelligent people who took responsibility for their health and made life choices that made them happy at the time. Smoking gives a great deal of pleasure to those who do it- this is the fundamental point that many drug programmes fail to acknoweldge- all recreational drugs have negatives, but if they didnt have the positives users experience, they would not be as widespread as they are.

Quote:

So Cord, where I am with you on most things, I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. To me, smoking = death, pure and simple. Seen it once and about to see it again. Both avoidable and unnecessary.

We dont have to agree to be buds I have always had a strong self destructive streak, and lived my life hard and fast. I have often wondered if my loss of appetite for cigarettes somehow on a subconscious level was linked to falling in love with my wife- When you find something worth sticking around for, it plays havok with your nihilism

Edited by Cord (10/05/07 01:46 PM)

#363995 - 10/05/07 01:59 PM Re: Smokers...grrrr [Re: Cord]
Spade Offline

Loc: Auburn, Al.
I remember sitting in my sociology class one day, while the teacher made a harsh generalization about age, saying: "I would never let my 16 year old daughter smoke!" because she wasn't "old" enough...

I raised my hand and said "I'm 19, I can legally smoke, I don't, ever really felt the need to. However, I also don't feel a whole lot different from when I was 16, so if I wanted to start smoking, the difference between 16-19 doesn't seem that big to me"

and then she replied: "Well, since you didn't smoke, you must have just been mature for your age"

My grand parents smoke, I guess they aren't mature for their age...

Its not like people who smoke aren't aware of the health risks, and its hardly fair to call them stupid. If someone wants to smoke, thats their choice.

Their choice.

They don't need some goody two-shoes holding a red dot on there chest saying "truth, smoking kills" on the TV set.

You know what also kills? Cheese Burgers, Coke, Alcohol, Twix, Oreos etc...

#363996 - 10/05/07 02:11 PM Re: Smokers...grrrr [Re: Spade]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

They don't need some goody two-shoes holding a red dot on there chest saying "truth, smoking kills" on the TV set.

WRONG WRONG WRONG. So wrong....sheesh.

All those things you named have a PRIMARY purpose that is positive - people have to eat, other wise you will die much sooner. Everything has negatives, but what is it intended for? Jets and cars may cause some diseases, but their OVERALL effect has been far more positive.

And do you need "some goody two-shoes holding a red dot" about smoking? You're damn right you do, when the cigarette companies spike their products to be more addictive than they would normally be AND THEN LIE ABOUT IT, as well as the harmful effects of that product.

#363997 - 10/05/07 02:31 PM Re: Smokers...grrrr [Re: MattJ]
RazorFoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Seated at the computer, DUH
Especially when they target children so the addiction takes root at a young age and grows as they grow.

#363998 - 10/05/07 02:42 PM Re: Smokers...grrrr [Re: Spade]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Quote:

I love Twix ... heck I love chocolate. In moderation all of these can be okay for you even some good for you. In moderation cigarette smoking is still bad for you and the people around you. Cigarette spoking is a vice that serves no real purpose but to fulfill and addiction; an addiction that kills.

Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, RazorFoot, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga