FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ronin1966 3
futsaowingchun 2
ergees 2
GojuRyuboy13 2
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35584 Topics
432513 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 13 of 14 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#364099 - 11/29/07 06:05 PM Re: Smokers...grrrr [Re: RazorFoot]
McSensei Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kent, England
Goddammit, where'd this come from. I thought I was all caught up.

Razor wrote,

"So basically, the surgeon general and thousands of doctors are wrong and you are right?"

Yes. Why not? I don't have an agenda to push, except freedom to choose.

"Time to pick my battles and arguing logic with someone who refuses to yield to reason and FACTS (medically proven and verified facts) is not a productive use of my time."

You haven't argued logic and you still haven't managed to name 3 people that have been scientifically proven to have died from SHS. All you have done is shown me the "Conclusions" that those with an agenda want you to see. I have said to look at the studies themselves.
Still, if you wish to no longer debate this subject with me then that is your right.

"Oh, and by the way, being a safety professional, toxic is toxic, no matter what the dose or concentration. Whether I have an ounce of MEK (Methyl ethyl ketone) or 55 gallons, it is still considered and regulated as a toxic substance.

The same is true of carcinogens. Regardless of the quantity or dose in a substance, they must all be listed."

As I said earlier, we are not talking about ounces. Femtograms are unimaginally small. I don't think you are quite getting that.

Dereck wrote,

"Scottie, we are in the same mindset. McSensei hasn't come out to my knowledge and says he smokes or not but I would say yes. I would also say he is living in a fantasy world that he is trying to make smoking seem not as unhealthy as it appears to be ... what, does he work for the tobacco company?"

Firstly I would have thought Gavins post would have cleared that up, but yes I am a smoker.
I don't live in a fantasy world it's just that I have a tendency to disbelieve things told to me by "Authority."
A healthy trait I would say.
Do you think Governments don't tell lies, 'ahem''WMD''ahem'!

"Comparing banning of animals because it irritates him to banning of a known carcinogenic that has the medical world and organizations such as the government promoting its banning ... that is stretching it big time."

Well here's the thing. If smoking and SHS was sooooo bad, why not just ban it.
And don't come back with the tax thing because if something was so bad and killed off so many people from just the mereist whiff then the Government would find a way to offset the tax.
If it looks like it, smells like it and comes from a place renowned for it then it probably is Bu11sh1t.

"Saying that smoking a little is better then smoking a lot; OH MY GOD! Everybody reacts differently to things and somebody that smokes very little can have the same repercussions as somebody that smokes a lot. The fact still remains that a little or a lot of exposure is exposure and it is not good for you at all. You can not set limits on stuff like that."

Would you stay for 20 minutes in a locked room with a car engine running? No, I thought not, but you wouldn't worry too much about spending 20 minutes in an indoor multi story car park. The same car park where you wouldn't be allowed to smoke a cigarette. Oh yeah. That makes sense.
The dose makes the poison.

"Since you like analogies lets use one that you might get. Say you got stabbed with a knife "once"; there is a possibility that you will die and then maybe you will live. Say you got stabbed with a knife a "multiple" amount of times; there is still a possibility that you will live and higher possibility that you will die. I suspect that you don't want to be stabbed at all, that you don't want to take a chance regardless of once or multiple times. Whether once or multiple times it is not good and the medical world and anybody with some sensibility would recognize this. It is not rocket science"

But the chance of you contracting the disease is tiny in the first place. Just like the chance of being stabbed is small and before the smoking bans came in people had a choice of whether to visit smoky places like you would have a choice of whether or not you go to places you are likely to get stabbed.

"You can't make smoking look good no matter how you look at it. People do die from smoking, people have died from second hand smoke, people who smoke or because of second hand smoke have incurred health problems. Repeated exposure being a smoker or nonsmoker to cigarette smoke only rises the more you are exposed to it. I don't want to take those risks nor would I want to put those risks on anybody else out of common decency.

You can fluff up your stats and your way of thinking but in this case and matter you are wrong. "

And you still haven't been able to name three.

#364100 - 11/29/07 07:43 PM Re: Smokers...grrrr [Re: McSensei]
Zombie Zero Offline
Compliance & Liability
Veteran

Loc: Lorton, VA
Quote:

You haven't argued logic and you still haven't managed to name 3 people that have been scientifically proven to have died from SHS.

Grandma Pat. There's one. Never smoked a ciggy in her life, but lived with a chain-smoker. Died of lung cancer.

Quote:

But the chance of you contracting the disease is tiny in the first place.

One in three veterans who have served in a foreign land will be diagnosed with cancer.

Quote:

If smoking and SHS was sooooo bad, why not just ban it.

Because it generates millions of dollars in tax revenue annually.

Anybody can play the convenient factoid game.

This is directed at everyone: Arguing/disagreeing is fine, but let's keep it constructive and respectful.

Also, please remember that this is a family site. Disguising swear words with clever symbols in place of letters isn't a loophole around the site rules.

#364101 - 11/29/07 08:39 PM Re: Smokers...grrrr [Re: McSensei]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Quote:

I named one and you dismissed it. Even I came up with 100 you would still dismiss it.

#364102 - 11/29/07 09:12 PM Re: Smokers...grrrr [Re: McSensei]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
*cracks knuckles, takes deep breath, applies war-paint*

McSensei, I apologize in advance for what I'm about to do to you.

McSensei -

Smoke does indeed cause structural damage to the lungs, from both the heat and the particulates in it.

http://www.diagnose-me.com/cond/C211471.html

Respiratory Diseases
The irritant and inflammatory effects of tobacco smoke lead to increased cell turnover, damage to cells and tissues in the throat and lungs, and interference with the normal barrier and clearance mechanism of the lung. The loss of the protective cilia allows harmful smoke particles, dust and bacteria to invade the lungs... thus reducing resistance to lung diseases.

Studies have indicated that smoking is the primary risk factor for accelerated decline in respiratory function. For instance, "forced expiratory volume in one second" test (FEV1) is an often-used measurement of lung function. FEV1 normally declines with age, but while in nonsmokers this decline is some 20-30ml per year, in current smokers this decline is 25-80ml per year.

http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSN2643239720071126

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - One third of people who breath in high levels of secondhand smoke have damage to their lungs similar to that seen in smokers, doctors reported on Monday.

They used a special kind of magnetic resonance imaging, or MRI, scan to look at the lungs of non-smokers who had high exposure to other people's cigarette smoke and found evidence of the kind of damage that causes emphysema.

"We interpreted those changes as early signs of lung damage, representing very mild forms of emphysema," said Chengbo Wang, a magnetic resonance physicist at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, who led the study.

"Almost one third of nonsmokers who had been exposed to secondhand cigarette smoke for a long time developed these structural changes," Wang added in a statement.

"To our knowledge, this is the first imaging study to find lung damage in non-smokers heavily exposed to secondhand smoke. We hope our work strengthens the efforts of legislators and policymakers to limit public exposure to secondhand smoke."

BTW - Passive bullets are a myth, Eh?

http://www.gunpolicy.org/Topics/Stray_Bullet,_Gun_Death_And_Injury.html

Macedonia
Another Stray Bullet Injures 4yr-old Girl in Macedonia Playground
Dnevnik Macedonia, Transcript
6 August 2007
The celebration bullets kill people too. We seem to not be able to learn this lesson, and because of that, we are often witnesses of incidents in which stray bullets end up hitting innocent bystanders. A family celebration for someone can easily become tragedy for others. Only by chance the 4-year-old Jana from Skopje did not end up being the new victim of the stray bullets, and from representation of life and hope to be turned...

Iraq
7 Dead, 50 Wounded by Stray Bullets as Iraqi Soccer Fans Fire Guns in Air
Reuters
29 July 2007
BAGHDAD -- Crowds of ecstatic Iraqis wept tears of joy and fired rifles into the air on Sunday after their soccer team's victory in the Asian Cup triggered the biggest street celebrations since the fall of Saddam Hussein. Police in Baghdad and Kut reported at least seven deaths and more than 50 people wounded by stray bullets as gun-toting revelers took to the streets in a wave of euphoria unprecedented after four years of war....

Brazil
Stray Bullets Rain Down on Rio de Janeiro: 87 Innocents Hit in 3 Months
San Francisco Chronicle / AP
20 June 2007
RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil -- The toll from stray bullets that rain down on Rio from the city's steep hillside slums as police and drug gangs battle with automatic weapons has grown sharply, with one innocent bystander killed or wounded every day. Businesses and schools in the line of fire have been shuttered. Thousands of children are staying home. Even air travel is affected -- domestic jet routes were diverted from Rio's downtown...

Etc. Plenty more you can find with a quick search.

Quote:

Actually it has been shown to have a protective effect on conditions like dementia and parkinsons.

Cancer, pulmonary and respitory diseases are "protective effects"?!

Quote:

Actually I disagree. Society, especially the US, is obligated to allow people to do things which may harm them. That is exactly what freedom is all about.
Sometimes I wonder why your Founding Fathers ever bothered.

No, the founding father were actually quite smart. Society is NOT obligated to allow freedoms which harm others, especially when that harm is the exclusive effect of that behavior.

Quote:

You may not like the smell and with that I can sympathize, but not liking something is no reason to blanket ban a perfectly legal substance that is enjoyed by a quarter of the population.

Cocaine and heroin were both legal and popular at one point in time. That does not make those activities protected forever. Smoking is a health threat that continues to persist in spite of crushing amounts of data, only because of the monetary influence of the industry. Period.

Quote:

Then you would also need to ban the other contributing factors as well. I don't think many people would like that and in all honesty, I don't think it would be possible.

Poor logic that I have addressed before. Many of the other incidental hazards referred to are a by-product of an otherwise benign product or effect. Cigarettes have no other purpose than to degrade people's health - including people that don't even smoke.

Quote:

Except we are not talking about 55 gallon drums here we are talking about a few nanograms, pictograms and femtograms.
Do you realise exactly how small the particles we are talking about are?

Wait, aren't you the one saying "it depends upon the dose"? A quarter of the population is a hell of a lot of "nanograms, pictograms and femtograms" floating around, isn't it? We're not talking about making YOU ONLY put away tobacco products. We mean EVERYONE!

Quote:

Yes. Why not? I don't have an agenda to push, except freedom to choose.

Health and safety is an agenda? Isn't that a basic human right - almost everywhere?

Quote:

Would you stay for 20 minutes in a locked room with a car engine running? No, I thought not, but you wouldn't worry too much about spending 20 minutes in an indoor multi story car park. The same car park where you wouldn't be allowed to smoke a cigarette.

Poor analogy for the USA and most of Europe. Vehicle exhaust is treated via catalytic converters to remove most of the pollutants emitted - not true of cigarettes. Would you want to stay in a (same size) locked room with 50 chain-smokers?

Quote:

Strawman.

Have a good night. See you tomorrow!

#364103 - 11/29/07 09:27 PM Re: Smokers...grrrr [Re: MattJ]
Zombie Zero Offline
Compliance & Liability
Veteran

Loc: Lorton, VA
Matt...

I stand back in awe. You're a good man, and thurrah.

As far as I'm concerned, you are Teh Winnar of this thread.

With that said, I'll say this: Smoke if you want to. If it makes you happy, it makes me happy for you. Frankly, I enjoy the rare cigar or hookah, myself. (legal stuff only) Just try to keep your pleasure from becoming my misery, ok?

If I go into a bar, I know I'm subjecting myself to smoke. But if I go into a restaurant, I want my steak to taste like beef, not beef plus your stanky tobaccy. Please step outside and keep that rot to yourself, plskthxbye.

#364104 - 11/30/07 04:57 AM Re: Smokers...grrrr [Re: Zombie Zero]
shills11 Offline

Loc: Glasgow Scotland
http://www.davehitt.com/

it looks like Mcsensei has taken a leaf out of this guys book! Only he has a webpage and everything! name three indeed.

This website is (apparently) "The Only Place to Get
Smartenized"

Maybe thats what McSensei is doing, Smartenizeing us all, we should thank him really

#364105 - 11/30/07 07:50 AM Re: Smokers...grrrr [Re: shills11]
RazorFoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Seated at the computer, DUH
Matt, clearly sir, you have done your homework and I for one am proud of you. Thank you for, in my mind and probably the minds of many others here, putting this matter to rest.

#364106 - 11/30/07 08:02 AM Re: Smokers...grrrr [Re: RazorFoot]
Blackrainbow Offline
Dragon

Loc: Brandon Fl.USA
Goooo Matt!!! Slam! Dunk! Game over!!!

#364107 - 11/30/07 09:43 AM Re: Smokers...grrrr [Re: MattJ]
JasonM Offline
Professional Poster

#364108 - 11/30/07 10:39 AM Re: Smokers...grrrr [Re: Zombie Zero]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

You're a good man, and thurrah.

Yes, and proud we are of MattJ! Sorry McSensei, didn't mean to pee on your carpet, bro.

Big L is one of my favorite movies, btw.

Page 13 of 14 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, RazorFoot, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga