FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT, sagat
22914 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
Zombie Zero 2
AndyLA 2
ergees 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
Recent Posts
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
Yesterday at 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/07/14 07:01 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
09/02/14 06:26 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
Forum Stats
22914 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432492 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#363386 - 10/01/07 09:46 AM Challenge the forum wisdom
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
There are a lot of ideas that get floated on our little piece of the net here. Some good, some bad. Some seem to get a life of their own, and become automatic answers to certain questions. Perhaps you agree. Perhaps you disagree, but have been unwilling to say so. Here is your chance to offer a reasoned opinion counter to that of the "entrenched" forum wisdom on a given subject.

I'll go first.

"You can't learn from books/videos/internet/etc."

Yes, you can - AS LONG AS you have a partner to actually practice and refine said technique on. Reading without practice will get you nowhere. And sometimes even with the partner, you will not be able to get things to work, because the medium you are attempting to learn from cannot impart the necessary detail to make it functional.

But sometimes, all you need is just the idea to get started with the practice. My entire knowledge of Chi Sao came about from reading an article in some MA magazine years ago. It interested me enough to cajole my training partners into trying it, and LO AND BEHOLD - with practice, it worked!

It can be a valuable resource if no other means of instruction is available. But again, you have to actually WORK and PRACTICE the stuff to make it functional.

There you go.

#363387 - 10/01/07 10:05 AM Re: Challenge the forum wisdom [Re: MattJ]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Matt, I will second that notion. You can learn from books as well as video. This is particularly true if you've already been training and have some experience, but it applies to anyone so long as you put in the practice time.

-John

#363388 - 10/01/07 10:06 AM Re: Challenge the forum wisdom [Re: MattJ]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello Matt:

Ideas given in books, magazines are very much like seeds. Once "planted", (regardless of the subject) they likely grow, but only if nurtured, attended to, mulled over.

I cannot learn thousands of things, but I can read of them, and appreciate their articulation, how a subject is explained, presented. If done well enough, our curiousity, our interests piqued we eventually explore them...

The expertise it takes to write a good book, communicate clearly, intelligently in writing is a good challenge. I was never a seeker of haphazard disconnected techniques, techniques without a basic context ie "succatash technique" chaos. But it works for some...

Like your sentiment, read THEN practice until functional.
Jeff

#363389 - 10/01/07 10:39 AM Re: Challenge the forum wisdom [Re: MattJ]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

this is connected:
http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...=0#Post15964477

an intrenched forum answer that only serves to annoy is: "you just have to feel it".

yes. thats absolutely true. but if left at that answer, then why even participate in a forum? whats the point of 'conversation' if the answer will always come down to a condecending: "find an instructor. you just have to feel it."

#363390 - 10/01/07 10:42 AM Re: Challenge the forum wisdom [Re: Ronin1966]
RazorFoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Seated at the computer, DUH
"High kicks don't work."

Yes, they do. They simply have to be set up properly. How many MMA matches have been decided by the unexpected kick to the head/face? Quite a few. Many MMA guys rely on that as a big finishing move when they have the guy on the ropes so to speak. Using good hand combinations, they close and out of nowhere, pow, head kick, good night Gracie (not actually one of the Gracie brothers but you get the idea).

Scottie

#363391 - 10/01/07 10:43 AM Re: Challenge the forum wisdom [Re: JKogas]
Ironfoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: St. Clair Shores, MI USA
Quote:

... You can learn from books as well as video. This is particularly true if you've already been training and have some experience...
-John

IMHO, that's the key. You have to have a frame of reference - to know basic mechanics.

#363392 - 10/01/07 10:43 AM Re: Challenge the forum wisdom [Re: JKogas]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Quote:

Matt, I will second that notion. You can learn from books as well as video. This is particularly true if you've already been training and have some experience, but it applies to anyone so long as you put in the practice time.

-John

I will take this a step further Matt but taking something from John's post. I agree that you can learn from books and magazine but I would put some stipulations on that. If you have training and experience then your chances of success will increase because you already have some basic understanding. Working with another partner is a "must" so that you can both critique each other plus work together on figuring out things. However I don't believe that a person with no experience, working by themselves can truly comprehend and understand things enough to learn the basics. Bad habits would be formed that could impede actually training and also could lead to injuries. Plus many aspects are required by working with others to understand timing, distance, etc. ... and how do you learn to clinch, grapple, joint manipulation, etc. without a partner?

#363393 - 10/01/07 11:01 AM Re: Challenge the forum wisdom [Re: Ed_Morris]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

yes. thats absolutely true. but if left at that answer, then why even participate in a forum? whats the point of 'conversation' if the answer will always come down to a condecending: "find an instructor. you just have to feel it."

Agreed, Ed. That answer by itself is pointless on a forum. Surely there is some level of technical articulation to support what is actually going on (in mechanical terms), huh?

#363394 - 10/01/07 11:09 AM Re: Challenge the forum wisdom [Re: Dereck]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

for me, a training video just illustrates possibilities...things to try...directions for pursuit. etc. It does not provide specific instruction since it is not interactive....for me anyway. In other words, if you watch and follow along with the entire Higaonna training series - it's a stretch to say you train Goju and/or claim your instructor is M. Higaonna.

and of course video material in documentary form can be comparitively interesting and educational. That type of materieal is not meant as instruction, just as a moving document.

#363395 - 10/01/07 11:09 AM Re: Challenge the forum wisdom [Re: MattJ]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
I think if you already have a well established base and a workout partner or group you can learn from seminars, books and videos.

If you have a base already established. imho.

Edited by Neko456 (10/01/07 11:10 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga