FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 71 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Thomas_Kungfu, traa1, JohnRay50, nogibjjgear, Jrogers001
23250 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
traa1 1
liangxiaoyu123 1
Thomas_Kungfu 1
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
differences between shaolin and wing chun ?
by liangxiaoyu123
04/28/20 01:05 AM
Recent Posts
differences between shaolin and wing chun ?
by liangxiaoyu123
04/28/20 01:05 AM
Forum Stats
23250 Members
36 Forums
35704 Topics
432774 Posts

Max Online: 488 @ 01/23/20 01:55 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#363373 - 10/04/07 10:10 PM Re: Bridging the Gap! [Re: Gavin]
Totality Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Hi Gavin,

I agree with what you are saying. Controlling distance or "No mans land" is key to bridging the gap. Letting them fully attack you is not.

I'll try to explain myself clearer.

Lets take foot work for an example.

My opponent takes a step towards me, I take a step back. He does it again, but this time I only take a half step back (see he is closing the gap, but I am controlling it. If I didn't take the step he would be closing and controlling the gap.), most people don't notice the half step especially if they are heated and now they are in range for my attack without even realizing it.

I hope this clears the air on what I mean and makes a little more sense.

Peace

#363374 - 10/05/07 01:26 AM Re: Bridging the Gap! [Re: Totality]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southend, Essex, UK
Yep that makes perfect sense.

I think also once you start on footwork, both entering into the gap and using it to cover people entering the gap, lateral movement is essential. I usually enter or retreat at a 45 degree angle laterally going forwards or backwards. This not only offlines your opponents avenues of attack (and consequently defense) but if you line up the stepping foot into your opponent you can practically realign your own hips for power delivery almost instantly as the stepping foot hits the ground.

For example when I jab my foot doesn't enter straight into the gap but at a slight half step to my left. Now if I don't realign the front foot to point to my opponent I'd be punching across myself, but if you land the foot at the correct angle the process of putting the weight into the front actually realigns the hips, actually pulls them round generating more torque (which can be continued up through the torso). Hitting on the lateral half step forward, in my experience, leads your opponent to actually line themselves up slightly into your shot as they also move laterally to try and keep all their guns on the gap.

Obviously a very simple strategy but is a basic entering drill I use to teach my guys about offense and not walking straight into the breach. Teaches them timing and dynamic body and foot movement too. The other advantage is that if you do miss, the opponents got to re-angle before they can do anything effectively.

Hope that made sense.

#363375 - 10/12/07 06:36 AM Re: Bridging the Gap! [Re: Gavin]
jkdwarrior Offline

Loc: belfast, Antrim, Ireland
Another good strategy is to spend some time getting your feints up to scratch. Close half of or most of the distance on the feint, and make sure you finish it in a position from where you can throw your strike quickly. Try experimenting with different rhythms.

Feints that I have found effective include:
-A high lead fake to a low lead side/hook kick (seems to work especially well on beginners and lay people). The high lead should be extended pretty far since you will be out of range.
-High lead fake to a front kick to groin. Ok so i haven't experienced this one but its an educated guess.
-low lead hand to high lead hand
-high lead hand to low lead hand
-low lead hand to high rear hand
-Low lead hook kick to high lead side kick? People may disagree but the hook kick seems to line me up perfectly for the high side.

You can kind of figure them out on your own.
Saying all this, I still think that controlling no mans land and fixing footwork are the best ways to master the bridging of the gap.

#363376 - 03/04/08 03:02 PM Re: Bridging the Gap! [Re: Totality]
janxspirit Offline

Quote:

JKD is about being as efficient as possible.

With that in mind, what do feel is the most efficient way to 'bridge the gap'?

Thanks,

Check out Rodney "chico" King's Crazy Monkey Defense. He has some great stuff for crashing the line between striking and clinch!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga