FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 4
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
Yesterday at 10:15 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432453 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#363353 - 10/01/07 06:12 AM Bridging the Gap!
Totality Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
JKD is about being as efficient as possible.

With that in mind, what do feel is the most efficient way to 'bridge the gap'?

Thanks,

#363354 - 10/01/07 07:19 AM Re: Bridging the Gap! [Re: Totality]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
I think of them in two categories; offensive and defensive bridging. I use these in a couple of different ways, all of which are really simple (which is key imo).

Offensively speaking, I just throw a jab/cross and follow in behind it. Sometimes it may be a jab/cross/jab where on the third jab I am punching in the underhook to go into an over-under. Another way is to throw a push-kick and follow in behind that (although this isn't my favorite).

Defensively speaking, I will use a high elbow cover that doubles as a "spike" (destruction). I will parry the lead hand and come in behind the cover which is protecting me from the rear hand. I keep the elbow of the covering arm high while changing my level slightly. I also make sure that when I am in, that elbow connects with his body. I then pivot that arm into an underhook and I am in the over-under position.

Then there is "sophisticated crashing". This is hard to explain. Lets just say that you just happen to "appear" in the clinch.

All of these methods require good timing and set-ups, which only occur through sparring. When a person does enough sparring where the clinch is allowed, they will come to realize that, the close range clinch "just happens" and that there is often no need for "entry" techniques.

Good thread by the way!

-John

#363355 - 10/01/07 08:38 PM Re: Bridging the Gap! [Re: Totality]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Totality -

I guess it depends on whether the opponent is being offensive or defensive.

If he is being offensive, I will try to clinch up and use knees or takedowns. If he is defensive, I will try to use low leg kicks.

#363356 - 10/01/07 09:21 PM Re: Bridging the Gap! [Re: MattJ]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
jkogas

I can't believe it, I actually understand what your saying.
Vinci

#363357 - 10/01/07 09:30 PM Re: Bridging the Gap! [Re: TeK9]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Tek -

I have been known on occasion to be somewhat lucid and somehow manage to transfer this to the written word. Don't count on this happening to terribly often.

-John

#363358 - 10/02/07 12:59 PM Re: Bridging the Gap! [Re: Totality]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
I feel that bridging the gap depends on the range of course, but the principle tha same. At kicking range a low kick to the shin or knee or a sweep followed by blitzing hands into a throw. Or a fake overhand to a jumping knee.

At punching range a fient as if to shoot, back up to a L hook, right hand, back down to the dbl leg. Or the jab right hand to a low line front kick, back to the 1-2.
Are a example of closing the distance or bridging.

Then you have the counter defensive bridging the gap, he lifts to kick and you leg check or jam and counter with a power right hand. Or he hooks and you duck and over hand right, or he jabs and you counter hook.

I think from a clinch stopping a knee or upper cut by pulling them in close, bumping their chin on your shoulder is a form of bridging the gap. Still a explosive/quick, distance covering move thats done to counter so u can attack.

The principle of exploding, merging/covering distance, and hitting in one segment of moves rather the stepping back. Is how it was explained to me. There are many explainations with slight differences.

Edited by Neko456 (10/02/07 01:01 PM)

#363359 - 10/02/07 03:25 PM Re: Bridging the Gap! [Re: Neko456]
Totality Offline

'I' never bridge the gap, but rather my opponent does.

JKD is about intercepting and if my opponent is not within fighting range than I am not in a fight yet and I will not expend MY energy bridging a gap.

Remember the episode of "Longstreet" when Bruce Lee was demonstrating JKD. Bruce never moved, but had the guy move TO him and he intercepted with a stop kick explaining the guys movement offered Bruce something to intercept. This is what I mean about 'bridging the gap'.

Bruce Lee said, "JKD is just a name" and he's right, but the universal principles and strategies are very real.

That is why 'I' don't bridge the gap, my opponent does.

Thanks,

#363360 - 10/02/07 05:21 PM Re: Bridging the Gap! [Re: Totality]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

What I try not to do is never put myself into a mode or bowl, saying I'd never do this or that method of counter. BC I use whatever open or available use it.

Bruce did talk about intercepting, but thats not all he stressed. Some of his advance students would tell you that one of his favorite technique was a hand blizts (I can't think of the name for it) that consumed the opponent. It was almost like the Wing-chun chain punches but with more power punching from all angles instead of just straight in. Pending what was open.

To wait on an opponent would make fighting too stagnet, after he threatens you return until the threat is no more. Not intercept and let him fall out of range and wait again??

#363361 - 10/02/07 06:59 PM Re: Bridging the Gap! [Re: Neko456]
Totality Offline

Quote:

Some of his advance students would tell you that one of his favorite technique was a hand blizts (I can't think of the name for it) that consumed the opponent.

It's called a 'Straight Blast', very effective, but I have never heard of Bruce lee or anyone else for that matter bridge the gap with a straight blast. Like all other techniques a straight blast is the result of a well played strategy and is used to finish the opponent or knock them off balance and use something else to finish them.

I have trained personally with a few of Bruce Lees original students (and I'm not a name dropper) so you can believe me or not that's OK, and they have all told me they don't bridge the gap. If your not in a fight, your not in a fight.

I personally will not rush into something and give a counter-striker an opportunity to intercept me (especially if he is using ABD).

As for falling out of range, once he's in range you 'down him and down him quick' not stopping until the threat is neutralized even if that means creating distance to set something else up (or to let him run away)...lol

This is good conversation.

Thanks,

#363362 - 10/03/07 11:05 AM Re: Bridging the Gap! [Re: Totality]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

This is were we have a problem you see techniques as if put in a bowl, never use a hand blitz unless done with a well placed strategy used to ..., if that was so why not just call it chain punching. I believe it was used as a finishing move and if it doesn't finish with another technique. Advancing on a stumbling or opponent thats not prepared or made a mistake you have to cover distance, check and hit him. That is bridging the gap, in my mind.

It doesn't matter if you studied with BL's senior students, what matters is that you are open minded to effective technique along with methodology, don't force yourself in a corner saying that you won't or can't use this or that technique because Bruce never did, U are not Sifu Lee. Knowing some of his students personally, you should know he would want you to be innovative to improve yourself. Which was one of his philosophies right?

Edited by Neko456 (10/03/07 11:06 AM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga