FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 26 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Matakiant 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#363315 - 09/30/07 10:43 PM (if) I did it - Confession from the killer
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

I just read this book: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_I_Did_It

A pretty disturbing read.

as the attack pertains to self-defense itself...

I'll paraphrase describe the SD scenaro for sake of brevity.

a narrow walkway. a closed metal gate behind you. fairly thick foliage on both sides of the walkway. in front of you is a 6'2" ex-pro football player wearing gloves and holding a knife, just a few feet in front of you.

His 'wife' is laying on the other side of the walkway near the house door, unconscious. He's automatically (and erroneously) accusing you of being there to screw his 'wife'. He's taunting you to attack him, and you are trying to defuse the escallation. He's enraged. The blind, wild-eyed, out his mind, kind of enragement.

what can you do? you can't run behind you to the gate and open it without getting attacked in the back. you can't go around him to the house door. The foliage/growth along the path is a thick dead end.

a f'ed situation.

#363316 - 10/01/07 08:03 AM Re: (if) I did it - Confession from the killer [Re: Ed_Morris]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

I'll paraphrase describe the SD scenaro for sake of brevity.

a narrow walkway. a closed metal gate behind you. fairly thick foliage on both sides of the walkway. in front of you is a 6'2" ex-pro football player wearing gloves and holding a knife, just a few feet in front of you.

His 'wife' is laying on the other side of the walkway near the house door, unconscious. He's automatically (and erroneously) accusing you of being there to screw his 'wife'. He's taunting you to attack him, and you are trying to defuse the escallation. He's enraged. The blind, wild-eyed, out his mind, kind of enragement.

what can you do? you can't run behind you to the gate and open it without getting attacked in the back. you can't go around him to the house door. The foliage/growth along the path is a thick dead end.

a f'ed situation.

Have I got a gun? If not, then I back up to the gate and see if this triggers increased aggression, or if he holds his position taunting me into violence. If he comes with me and I know for sure I cant get that gate open, then its time to deal with the physical reality of a knife attack. I resign myself to damage to my hands and attempt to take control of the blade (or at least the hand controlling it) and hope I can overpower the guy.
Chances are, I am going to die, but then, everybody does.
Been as specific as I can there Ed

#363317 - 10/01/07 08:32 AM Re: (if) I did it - Confession from the killer [Re: Cord]
Joss Offline
Dragon

"What can you do?"

Die well.

#363318 - 10/01/07 09:00 AM Re: (if) I did it - Confession from the killer [Re: Cord]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

I back up to the gate and see if this triggers increased aggression, or if he holds his position taunting me into violence. If he comes with me and I know for sure I cant get that gate open, then its time to deal with the physical reality of a knife attack. I resign myself to damage to my hands and attempt to take control of the blade (or at least the hand controlling it) and hope I can overpower the guy.

Excellent post, Cord. Not sure what else you could do in that situation. Once you have established that he means you harm, then you have no choice but to engage, since there is no escape. Unless sh1tting myself counts as "action".

#363319 - 10/01/07 03:13 PM Re: (if) I did it - Confession from the killer [Re: MattJ]
RazorFoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Seated at the computer, DUH
Scream like a little girl with her panties on fire. Then after that, what Cord said. I might try to use my belt to trap his arm if I had a chance to take it off. My new Mande Muda Silat instructor tied me up with a sarong the other day and choked me out with it. Other than that, my first answer and yeah, what Cord said.

Scottie

Edited by RazorFoot (10/01/07 03:42 PM)

#363320 - 10/01/07 09:09 PM Re: (if) I did it - Confession from the killer [Re: RazorFoot]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

don't get me wrong Scotty, I have a sense of humor...but this is one of those rare subjects that I fail to find anything funny about.

#363321 - 10/01/07 11:11 PM Re: (if) I did it - Confession from the killer [Re: Ed_Morris]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Quote:

A pretty disturbing read.

Indeed. I wonder if he'll get off from the robbery charges/ kidnapping, etc???

Anywhoo.... If I was faced with that situation I would play it defensively. I would not try to stay and fight. I would try to get past him with as little harm to myself as possible. I'm sure I'd get cut or slashed, but I would try and protect my vital area's as much as possible. Hopefully, my training would help me survive.

#363322 - 10/02/07 06:56 AM Re: (if) I did it - Confession from the killer [Re: BrianS]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Cord is right on.

Sure you might die, but you'll die fighting, right? Something in that adrenaline dump might just save your ass if you've trained to deal with a frenzied knife attack. Obviously the key there is making sure that your partners are attacking you like a psycho when you're doing counter knife.

Of course even then its a crapshoot, but so is life. Chance favors the prepared mind.

-John

#363323 - 10/02/07 08:04 AM Re: (if) I did it - Confession from the killer [Re: Ed_Morris]
RazorFoot Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

don't get me wrong Scotty, I have a sense of humor...but this is one of those rare subjects that I fail to find anything funny about.

You're right. It isn't funny. The whole situation is ludicrous. How someone who everyone knows is a cold blooded killer can get off, travel and enjoy himself right after committing a double murder while the children of the family he brutalized are still mourning, and then write a book about how he actually committed the murders as if it were a recipe book?

Yeah, you're right, there is little funny about it but we all respond to things in different ways. My coping system is to make things lighter than they are so I can deal with the harsh realities that happen. Sorry if you don't approve but the reality is, we do not all react to things the same way. I think he should be dealt with as harshly as befits the crimes he has committed but faced with the situation as depicted here, fear would be my first response. Sorry if you feel I phrased it in an inappropriate manner but that is how I deal with fear or stress. I down play it so I can come to grips with it and deal with it. Always have, always will.

Scottie

#363324 - 10/02/07 12:49 PM Re: (if) I did it - Confession from the killer [Re: RazorFoot]
RazorFoot Offline
Professional Poster

By the way all, my last post was not an attack on Ed or a retaliation, simply an explanation as to why my initial post stated what it did. I simply wanted all to understand that by no means was I making light of the situation. Also Ed, I understand your feelings on the matter and you have a right to them. We simply deal with things differently and that is okay.

I hope no one misunderstood my meaning. Rereading my post, I see how some one could have.

Scottie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga