FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 4
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
Yesterday at 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#363296 - 10/16/07 03:31 AM Re: Where is this girl from? [Re: Sknives]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Loc: Malaysia
She is actually an old school mate of mine. That picture, which she modelled when she was in her late teens, was commissioned for a commercial for a native brand of cooking oil, hence the rather traditional clay jar. At the time when the commercial came out, there was much public objections due to the veiled symbolism of the knot that tied the 'sarong' and also the more finicky ones said that the belly button was way off-location which unnaturally elongated her waist. Those who have seen here in person said her fingers were not that 'fat' in real life. The more artistically inclined said that the background perspective was all wrong. The reason why her feet were not shown was because she was then wearing tennis shoes. When these comments came out the poor girl just broke down and never return to modelling again. She eventually married my best friend (TLSoB) and is now a proud, but still beautiful, grandmother.

Her name is Lina.

#363297 - 10/18/07 07:56 PM Re: Where is this girl from? [Re: ButterflyPalm]
hedkikr Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southern California, USA
That's an incredible tale & no reason to disbelieve you.

It would be nice to see her present-day photo. Possible to indulge?

BTW, I spent a week in KL & Melacca back in 1992. The Rambutan & Mangosteen were the most delicious fresh fruit I've ever tasted. Glutton's Corner in Melacca was a food-lover's delight. The people are so hospitable & friendly. I love Malaysia & hope to return someday. I even got to see the Sultan leave his palace in his motorcade.

#363298 - 10/19/07 01:55 AM Re: Where is this girl from? [Re: hedkikr]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Quote:

I even got to see the Sultan leave his palace in his motorcade.

You SAW? the Sultan of Malacca?

When did you visit? The year 1767? There hasn't been a sultan in Malacca for over a 100 years. What you saw was the Chief Minister of the State of Malacca (much like your state governor), who is a political appointee. However, if you were in KL, you saw the King (not any of the sultans who are royalty only in their home State) who is chosen by the Sultans from amongst themselves to 'rule' the country as a whole for a term of 5 years. Malaysia is the only country in the universe where the Kings 'rule' by rotation. Only the sultan-ships devolve under a heritage system.

Rambutans, mangosteens? if you have not tried the 'durian', you haven't tried anything. The durian IS, I repeat, IS the Kinggggg of fruits. No other fruit in the galaxy is like it; it is beyond description and ounce for ounce it is more expensive than prime beef. Taison & Leo should be able to testify to that.

You may have noticed that all the above is just to delay coming to the real issue at hand, ehhh....I mean about "Lina"? Much as I would want that incredible tale to be true.........Oh...there is someone at the door, the kettle is boiling, need to get today's newspapers, dinner to cook, so much to do and so little time......where was I, yes, I think Oldman is probably right, she has to be someone's classmate in Ohio.

#363299 - 10/19/07 11:59 AM Re: Where is this girl from? [Re: ButterflyPalm]
hedkikr Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southern California, USA
The "Sultan" (term used by my Malasian friends) was described to be a governor & the rotation system was also explained.

And yes, I tried fresh Durian for the 1st time in Malacca. Bought a nice one from a street vendor, had him cut it & put the pieces in a plastic bag. My fiancee (Filipina) & I took it back to our hotel. As we were enjoying the creamy (although pungent) sweatness, we got a call from the front desk asking if we brought durian into the hotel. "No...who's Durian?", I replied dumbly. They explained what durian was, that the odor was circulating through the hotel & there were some complaints. "I don't smell anything..." (oops).

I ate as much as I could, spitting the seeds out my window, before tying a knot on the bag containing the remainder of the "King of Fruits" before tossing it out the window. (there was a gas station outside & below my window so I aimed for the back of the garage). I wonder what rotten durian smells like?

#363300 - 10/20/07 02:48 AM Re: Where is this girl from? [Re: hedkikr]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Do you know that there was a $100,000 bounty out on you? Too bad it was withdrawn after 911 as the money was shifted to more worthwhile targets

#363301 - 10/20/07 05:51 AM Re: Where is this girl from? [Re: ButterflyPalm]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
Quote:

Rambutans, mangosteens? if you have not tried the 'durian', you haven't tried anything. The durian IS, I repeat, IS the Kinggggg of fruits. No other fruit in the galaxy is like it; it is beyond description and ounce for ounce it is more expensive than prime beef. Taison & Leo should be able to testify to that.

So true, never was there a fruit which could so easily humble the other fruit around it. Truly the king of all fruits. Incredibly powerful in every sense, but to be honest, I can only really stomach the D24 variety. Eat it if you dare.

#363302 - 10/20/07 08:07 AM Re: Where is this girl from? [Re: Leo_E_49]
grumbleweed Offline

ahhh durian (yes, the undisputed king of fruits) if only i could find good, sensibly priced durian here, my local asian supermarket occasionally stocks it and even more expensive than what it is in malaysia and thailand (no suprise) and it seems not to travel well........pineapple is my second favorite fruit--not hard to find

#363303 - 10/21/07 12:18 AM Re: Where is this girl from? [Re: grumbleweed]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

I heard recently (or was it a press report) that some idiot in Thailand is trying to develop a variety that's smell-less, so that it can be transported for overseas markets. That's like developing a cheese that has no aroma, it'll be like eating a salty lump of hardened dough.

Don't mean to hijack your thread Stonelover, but just one last thing for the uninitiated:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhsikzJ62bs

#363304 - 11/05/07 01:30 AM Re: Where is this girl from? [Re: ButterflyPalm]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
I too testify how good durian tastes!

You know being in the logistics industry for some time, you know how hard it is to transport durian.

Almost every single shipping-line refuse to transport durian due to the stench, and if they are transporting, they're only allowing small amounts of less than a few tonnes. Meaning that you're not even able to transport 1 container full. It has to be less than a container.

If you're going to fly it to a destination they will OVER-CHARGE you because the stench may affect the flight-passengers, and again, only a small amount of durian is allowed to be transported.

If I remember right, they even had something called "DURIAN TRANSPORTATION SUR-CHARGE" or something along those lines to up the price of transporting durian.

-Taison out

#363305 - 11/06/07 05:50 AM Re: Where is this girl from? [Re: Taison]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Maybe this should be called the durian thread...

Thankfully, for us, it is being imported from Thailand and even available in the local Woolworths, albeit deep frozen. Apparently, it is grown here (where we live), but I have yet to see any fresh fruit - maybe they're all exported back to Asia!!!

All I need is enough money to buy a block of land, 1000 young trees, and sit it out for the next 10 years....

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga