FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 26 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Matakiant 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#363072 - 09/27/07 02:45 PM What is most impractical move disallowed in JKD?
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
What is most the impractical move that should be disallowed in JKD? JKD is a bout efficiency so what move do you find most impractical.

The hip butt or the shoulder stroke or the instep stomp or finger strikes to throat (I like this one)? How about the palm strike to the liver?

What about trapping both hands in classical WC? What about the twisting kneeling dances of Silat (I know there guillotine like knees to a downed opponent)? What about lapel chokes? What about the stomach throw? How about the reverse punch or right cross?

What do you think should be thrown away? JKD being a philosophy, if a technique doesn't work for you should you teach it to others?

Edited by Neko456 (09/27/07 02:51 PM)

#363073 - 09/27/07 04:19 PM Re: What is most impractical move disallowed in JKD? [Re: Neko456]
Totality Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
How about everything you said!

Bil Gee to the throat....never heard of that one before!!

#363074 - 09/27/07 04:59 PM Re: What is most impractical move disallowed in JKD? [Re: Totality]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

You don't use head butts, shoulder strokes or instep stomps? You don't finger strike to the throat? So do you train gloves all the time?

How open minded are you in your JKD?

#363075 - 09/27/07 05:21 PM Re: What is most impractical move disallowed in JK [Re: Neko456]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
You throw out whatever cannot be effectively pulled off, alive, against resisting partners/opponents - for the most part.

And thats a ton of crap. Almost too much to get into a discussion about. Silat - gone. Wing chun - gone.

-John

#363076 - 09/27/07 05:48 PM Re: What is most impractical move disallowed in JKD? [Re: Neko456]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Impractical is a temporary, personal concept. And as a result, you could throw out everything or nothing. Depends on the person and the situation.

#363077 - 09/27/07 06:34 PM Re: What is most impractical move disallowed in JKD? [Re: Neko456]
Totality Offline

Quote:

You don't use head butts, shoulder strokes or instep stomps? You don't finger strike to the throat? So do you train gloves all the time?

How open minded are you in your JKD?

I am very open minded thank you.

You never said anything about 'head butt' in your first post.

Of coarse I would use a head butt if I lost control of the 'distance'. However I train to control 'Timing, Distance & Rhythm' so I have never had to use a head butt, but I would never rule it out.

Shoulder strokes...still no!

Instep stomp....Oblique kicks you mean? If so, no, a stop kick works just fine (again controlling distance remember) also all my kicks are stomps!

"Finger strikes to the throat"...If I was to strike the throat it would be from an angle with a knife hand or hammer fist. If I was in front of you why would I use a 'Finger strike', "Darting fingers' (Bil Gee) to the throat when I could use it to your eyes?

I thought you asked a question about efficiency? Sorry maybe I read the question wrong.

"Gloves"...sometimes MMA gloves, but I like to train sensitivity so I use gloves as little as possible!

JKD...isn't that what Bruce Lee did?? I don't call what I do JKD. I use the same 'Universal Principles and Strategies' however.

IMO of coarse.

Thanks,

#363078 - 09/28/07 12:46 AM Re: What is most impractical move disallowed in JK [Re: Totality]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York City
I have to agree with MattJ
what is effective changes from person to person. A technique might work for A and not B.

#363079 - 09/28/07 08:53 AM Re: What is most impractical move disallowed in JK [Re: IExcalibui2]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Totality you are right I didn't mention head butt it was hip butt, that you find no use for. What about in your throws or off balancing, inside do you use all muscle?

No I wasn't just talking about the Oblique kick, I was talking about the instep as the target, with any heel kick.

Eye with fingers work, but throat with fingers work too, if he think its the eyes you are going for. Which efficient because it can go through a much smaller opening where as the knife/hammer hand can not.

I'm talking JKD as a wide open philosophy thats put in motion. Everybodies going to be different.

Mattj & IExcalibui2 would you teach a range of technique so the that the pupil can experiment with his selection or would U only teach what works for you? Granted each would perferr different tools based on their body type or comfort level as Tot mentioned he likes distance and obviously not comfortable at grappling range.

Edited by Neko456 (09/28/07 08:55 AM)

#363080 - 09/28/07 02:55 PM Re: What is most impractical move disallowed in JK [Re: Neko456]
Totality Offline

Quote:

Totality you are right I didn't mention head butt it was hip butt, that you find no use for. What about in your throws or off balancing, inside do you use all muscle?

No I wasn't just talking about the Oblique kick, I was talking about the instep as the target, with any heel kick.

Eye with fingers work, but throat with fingers work too, if he think its the eyes you are going for. Which efficient because it can go through a much smaller opening where as the knife/hammer hand can not.

I'm talking JKD as a wide open philosophy thats put in motion. Everybodies going to be different.

Mattj & IExcalibui2 would you teach a range of technique so the that the pupil can experiment with his selection or would U only teach what works for you? Granted each would perferr different tools based on their body type or comfort level as Tot mentioned he likes distance and obviously not comfortable at grappling range.

I use 'body connective' or 'proper structure' with anything I do. I am 155lbs and have never mixed it up with anyone under 190lbs (sparring or other wise), so engaging my muscles will only put me at a disadvantage with someone stronger.

Since I have left Karate I have never thrown anyone, sweeps yes.

Off balancing is pretty simple with ABD so again I have never had to use it in the context your asking.

I am still not clear on the kick you are talking about, but like I said earlier, all my kicks are a stomp.

As for the Bil Gee to the throat, I never said it wouldn't work, but that 'I' don't use it. If I was going to strike the throat from straight on I would use a half knuckle strike which is much stronger than a Bil Gee. If I am doing a Bil Gee it is already coming at the throat in order to draw my opponents hands down to protect then vectors to the eyes.

If my opponent thinks I am going to the eyes than I made him think that and I am probably going no where near his face...lol If I ever fight close and I mean close enough where I can use hips and shoulders than 'I' would probably use 'Poison Hand' on his face and just end things right there.

I am only answering the questions you asked. I am not disagreeing with you, but rather sharing what I would do and how I would do it. In all honesty I would do and use whatever I needed to, to survive!

But that makes for a boring conversation...lol!!

Peace,

#363081 - 09/28/07 04:54 PM Re: What is most impractical move disallowed in JK [Re: JKogas]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Is anything left of the base core of JKD which under Lee was Wing-Chun. Under Guru Dan Kali/escrima what is difference in the type trapping method, I see very little.

Jkogas so you've gotten rid of all the WC in your JKD? Its your proragotive but WC gone completely and Silat?
So if it doesn't work for you, you don't teach it, even though it may work for someone else, Live and resisting? Just asking if you have a universal body type?

T we disagree on little just what, when and how? As you mentioned whatever works, but you don't throw anymore, EVER?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga