FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 51 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
ergees 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#363069 - 02/14/08 10:08 AM Re: Shiatsu and TCM [Re: underdog]
Paulol Offline

underdog you have both confirmed and backed up my comments while presenting an counter to my comments

i have done some shiatsu work and would love to do more at some point (pun ) but as you say it can help in your understanding of kyusho but is not a required skill in order to affect a defence with kyusho jitsu.

again i do not think that kyusho jitsu has the exclusive rights to causing internal injuries? if you deliver a really hard punch or kick to the floating ribs they will break. do i need to be able to fix them afterwards to protect myself from the law?

if i were to fully follow through with a wrist lock throw i would break the joint. do i need to know how to form a cast to help the joint heal??

as regards to the law, you need to know the view your local laws take on attacks on the person and adhear to them. i don't think that any law is written in the world where you cannot attack a person in self defence without having prior knowledge of how to heal them afterwards.

i totally respect evan pantazi and nearly joined your group a number of years ago. but did'int in the end.

#363070 - 02/14/08 10:23 AM Re: Shiatsu and TCM [Re: Paulol]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southend, Essex, UK
It's funny, with me the more Shiatsu I do the less PP work I do in my martial arts. What I will say that Shiatsu has given me is a much deeper sensitivity when I touch a body. After a while you can simply look at a persons structure to see where they are carrying tension, it becomes very intuitive. I've found that the most competent and effective fighters have been those that have had continual dynamic exposure to contact with opponents. Taiji people who push hands, Judoka and Jujitsu players who wrestle, Boxers and Muy Thai people are amongst the toughest people to play with in the Martial Arts. I think this is due to the bodies ability to learn intuitively through physical contact with their partners. I strongly suspect this is why I've noticed huge skill gaps in those that practice healing arts and those that don't. I think its due to the amount of hands on time they get through direct human to human contact. This why I believe totally in the concept of 'aliveness' in training. PP people are good at hitting people coz they spend so much damn time hitting people. IMHO at least.

#363071 - 02/14/08 10:38 AM Re: Shiatsu and TCM [Re: Gavin]
Paulol Offline

Quote:

It's funny, with me the more Shiatsu I do the less PP work I do in my martial arts. What I will say that Shiatsu has given me is a much deeper sensitivity when I touch a body. After a while you can simply look at a persons structure to see where they are carrying tension, it becomes very intuitive. I've found that the most competent and effective fighters have been those that have had continual dynamic exposure to contact with opponents. Taiji people who push hands, Judoka and Jujitsu players who wrestle, Boxers and Muy Thai people are amongst the toughest people to play with in the Martial Arts. I think this is due to the bodies ability to learn intuitively through physical contact with their partners. I strongly suspect this is why I've noticed huge skill gaps in those that practice healing arts and those that don't. I think its due to the amount of hands on time they get through direct human to human contact. This why I believe totally in the concept of 'aliveness' in training. PP people are good at hitting people coz they spend so much damn time hitting people. IMHO at least.

great point gavin!

if you are trying to practice a martial skill which requires combat with another human then you need to train with as many different types of human as you can.

i try to get my hands on as many people as i can as seminars and training groups either i teach or my instructor. also i try not to use my own students for demos as this again can give a false sense of reality to both the people training with me and myself!!

after a while i have noticed that some people react in different ways to attack either pp attacks or just punching and kicking. also that when someone is not affected with a point in one area they usually are sensitive in another predictable area, or they are hyper sensitive to joint locks etc...

being able to flow between responces to what is presented to you is only gained from drilling and semi-free sparring with increasing levels of resistance.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga