FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
Matakiant 3
futsaowingchun 3
Zombie Zero 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
Yesterday at 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
Recent Posts
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
Yesterday at 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35577 Topics
432497 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#362989 - 09/28/07 08:31 AM Re: POLL - What type of fighter are you? [Re: Taison]
RazorFoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Seated at the computer, DUH
I voted defensive but that is in a real confrontation. I want to keep things at a distance, be wary of my surroundings, bait, counter strike, look for an opening to escape, and get the heck out of there in one piece. We have had the knife/hidden weapons discussion here many times.

Sparring, it varies depending on how agressive and how prone to making mistakes my opponent is.

Scottie

Edited by RazorFoot (09/28/07 08:33 AM)

#362990 - 09/29/07 06:14 AM Re: POLL - What type of fighter are you? [Re: RazorFoot]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
Depends, I was taught to seek openings and if they don't exist, to create them. I can vary from fighting defensively to charging in offensively, it took a while to learn how to turn to the offensive because I'm instinctively cautious but it's worth learning.

#362991 - 09/29/07 08:59 AM Re: POLL - What type of fighter are you? [Re: Leo_E_49]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
I'm a lover, not a fighter...so this is kind-of hard to quantify.

I suppose the only way to get a feel for how we behave is to observe sparring. In that sense, I'm sometimes aggressive, sometimes defensive. When does "the best defense is a good offense", or, "the best offense is a good defense" come in?

I just try and impose my game on guys. I work to obtain my objectives which are obviously both offensive and defensive.

In sparring, I enjoy mixing it up and trying different strategies/techniques, depending on who I am sparring with. I don't mind standing and trading. But I also try and counter my partner's primary strategy (if he wants to stay up, I'll try and take him down...if he wants to take it down, I'll try and keep it standing).

I have to say that I don't get into "street fights" and doubt I ever will. I'm betting I could easily avoid any and all such conflicts if I truly wanted to, so examining this from the "street" perspective is kind-of a moot point IMO.

That said...if I ever managed to get caught up in a fist fight, like Cord, I'm going to throw everything I have. Whoever my opponent is will deal with my standing game, my clinch and whatever ground & pound/submission skill I have, all will be thrown at my opponent in a machine gun manner. You will have to either knock me completely unconscious, or break something major to force a stop.

But like I alluded to, I'm pretty easy-going so talking about street stuff is somewhat weird to me, mainly because I'm a civilian and not involved with the security industry (doormen, police, etc). I think this has a tremendous bearing on my personal philosophy.

-John

(edited because in thinking about my post, I realize I couldn't have been more vague...)

#362992 - 09/29/07 09:07 AM Re: POLL - What type of fighter are you? [Re: JKogas]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
In sparring I tend to be defensive until I am hit a few times, then I get the motivation to come forward and use my strengths. I often let myself get hit a couple of times on purpose so as to get me in the right frame of mind.

If its a personal dispute, I am very good at de-escalation, but if its gets physical then I am throwing 200% and the kitchen sink at you till your a stain on the floor. I have been known to completely black out and have to be dragged off people, but I am more controlled these days.

In the case of confrontation at work, i never really saw that as personal, so its never an issue.

#362993 - 09/30/07 06:44 AM Re: POLL - What type of fighter are you? [Re: Cord]
Al_Fernz Offline

Loc: Ireland
I like to mix it up. If you to develop into a complete fighter you need to develop both an offensive and defensive game.

#362994 - 09/30/07 10:37 AM Re: POLL - What type of fighter are you? [Re: MattJ]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
Matt,
I'm "old", deceptively fast, accurate, and hit like a train wreck. To me, the fight's not over until the other guy's down or defeated... so I have some staying power.

What style fighter?... one that takes advantage of what I see happening in the situation... punches when available, throws, pins, etc... whatever "offers" itself to be used... so the best answer is "constantly changing".

Injuries require me to be "thoughtful" before jumping in now, so I'm also an "analytical fighter" who watches the movements of my opponent. If I know anything about them, I don't play into their strengths.

Maybe the best answer is "surprising for an old man"...

#362995 - 10/04/07 11:02 AM Re: POLL - What type of fighter are you? [Re: MattJ]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
As I mention I'm a (verbal deception)counter Offensive fighter, but the type fighter that gives me the most trouble is the fleet footed counter fighter with natural instinct, I eventually get to them but I take some come in.

Unless I do major damage with my pre-epmt interception, if thats done he is too, it doesn't matter how good he was. If I catch him by surprise and hurt him or drop him (unless he is extermly good or lucky) ITs over. I use the element of surprises while trading I might say, "Darn here comes the cops, or Isn't that your buddy!", If he turns his head to look its lights out or he's swepted and stomped. Some might say thats cheating or unfair, so what. I didn't start it.

I'm a counter Offensive Sparring or in actual fight. But sparring I can and find it eaiser to defend and counter sometimes even if equally skilled and really if I'm better, bc you are waiting for the slightest mistake. Though its a little too slow pace for me, I can play that game.

Against a offensive fighter I like to make them fight defensively or trying to counter, backing up. Amazingly some good offensive guys, can't fight well moving backwards or under pressure. I can I don't back staright back I circle or work angles, I never go straight back for long, unless I have to, if I do I shoot rules or no rules. Take a point or whatever, I apologies. You ain't getting a clear shot, just bc of a rule.

Edited by Neko456 (10/04/07 11:05 AM)

#362996 - 10/05/07 10:50 AM Re: POLL - What type of fighter are you? [Re: Ronin1966]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
The goal is not to "kill them", the goal is to avoid the avoidable as quickly as can be done.

J

#362997 - 10/07/07 03:52 AM Re: POLL - What type of fighter are you? [Re: MattJ]
Jeff_G Offline

Loc: Midwest
Nowadays, retired.

I fought my last tournament in the late 70s. Over time my style changed considerably. At first and up to black belt, you could describe my style as a ram going straight head to head. That was a painful time. Eventually I learned to slip and slide around. I learned to work the angles. I could fight more rounds more easily and let the other guy beat himself up. Age and experience are great teachers.

#362998 - 10/07/07 04:08 AM Re: POLL - What type of fighter are you? [Re: Jeff_G]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
I need to correct myself;

I forgot to add that my fighting style is purely for sparring, tournament and competition.

I'm a sports type of fighter, not a commando. Street altercation, I'll run away from.

I want a fun but safe fights, not murder attempts.

-Taison out

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga