FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
Zombie Zero 2
Matakiant 2
futsaowingchun 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432495 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#360167 - 09/08/07 09:30 PM Engami and the Shotokai
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Derry, NH
It was over 30 years ago when I first read Engami's "The Way of Karate - beyond technique" (which has since been republished a few years ago).

Engami Sensei had been a student of Funakoshi Ginchin, who upon subsequent research on Okinawa abandoned the flat fist and his Shotokai only utilized the single knuckle strike.

It's also very obvious they're working for extreme motion potential as a training device, requiring a very high level of training to execute correctly.

The result of an interesting mind, something beyond most of our experiences I'm sure.

It is a big world after all.

Maître Shigeru Egami (Shotokai) - Stage au Japon
Quelques extraits filmés d'un stage au Japon (années 70) dirigé par Maître Shigeru Egami. Retrouvez les textes de Maître Egami et de Maître Murakami sur www.mushinkai.net
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad6bdqsFG5M&mode=related&search=

Qu'est ce que le Karaté-do Shotokai EgamiRyu® ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lghcgY_AeY&mode=related&search=

Karaté-do Shotokaï EgamiRyu® : L'Art de Maître Egami (1)
Découvrez l'un des rares styles de Karaté-do traditionnel basé sur l'efficacité, la décontraction, les mouvements naturels du corps et l'expression de l'énergie : le "SHOTOKAI EGAMIRYU ®"

L'AKSER est une Association internationale de Budo Traditionnel, créée par le Sensei William A. Schneider, dispensant son enseignement dans la partique du Karaté-do Shotokai EgamiRyu®, du Bo-jutsu, du Ken-jutsu et du Goshin jutsu (Self défense).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ-yaEPZuXI&mode=related&search=

Karaté-do Shotokai EgamiRyu® : L'Art de Maître Egami (2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBS9FaAZpqM&mode=related&search=

Karaté-do Shotokai EgamiRyu® : L'Art de Maître Egami (3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqLCkvUOt28&mode=related&search=

#360168 - 09/11/07 06:20 PM Re: Engami and the Shotokai [Re: Victor Smith]
bo-ken Offline
Veteran

Loc: beaver falls, PA, beaver
The whole sliding punch was weird I have never seen that before. What was your impression when you first read the book? Why were there wrists bent when punching. I am not saying there training was bad but I do not train like that.

#360169 - 09/11/07 07:04 PM Re: Engami and the Shotokai [Re: Victor Smith]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

A few years back I came apon a video of egami's group. I was really startled by what I saw as it seemed very different than what I had come toknow as Shotokan. My first thought was "Well the french do love Jerry Lewis". Later I tried to experiment and move as they did. While some of the practicioner were amazing strong and limber it still seemed odd to me. I have no doubt that there are people that with alot of hard work could make it functional. To me it seemed like people inventing a new and stylized way to run instead of just running.

#360170 - 09/12/07 08:35 PM Re: Engami and the Shotokai [Re: bo-ken]
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Hi,

I first read Egami's book about 1976 or so. It didn't represent the karate I studied but I was always interested in the journey he took to arrive at this approach to study.

This video clip is the first time I've seen this in action.

It is very different from what I practice, still I can see some of the rational behind his changes. Whether they make sense in the long run I don't know.

The clip is not clear and I won't assume what his hand positions are. What I do know from his book is he only practices the single knuckle strike. Almost all of them in the clip are directed face height. Logically it may be he discovered enough pain from a light strike so he's using the strike like a javelin and then driving his body behind it to work off of the initial pain.

It is very much a different paradigm from other striking. I plan on re-reading his book this weekend and see what I can glean from it.

It is not impossible that the method of training he's showing is more for physical development purposes than how his art would be used when pressed.

of course that thought is hard for some to understand, why train in what you won't use.

I would only assume there is a logic behind this. I'm curious what it is, but have no desire to change what I do.

I do think that only striking with the single knuckle might be radically different. Is there a need to strike to the face with the power of what we think of as punching, where the single knuckle strikes with that power could break faces. Logically perhaps he toned down the strike because the pain of using what he practices is enough.

just thinking aloud,

#360171 - 09/12/07 09:26 PM Re: Engami and the Shotokai [Re: Victor Smith]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

Victor,
The video that I had at one point was of a group in France. There was talk about Aikido influences. Ido think Egami was exploring philosophical terrain. The video showed all of the kata, some application and kumite. The kumite looked or should I say had the feel of aikido randori as much as it looked like shotokan sparring. Things started t very long range which closed quickly then turned just as quickly with a type of tai sabaki. Then there was a very slow parting of the combatants with their gazes locked in on each other. All of this was done with VEEEERY long and Loooooooow stances. It almost had the feel of jousting.

#360172 - 09/13/07 05:09 AM Re: Engami and the Shotokai [Re: oldman]
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

hmmm, it's probably on the net somewhere but in most things hard to say what it shows us.

Off hand I would see it difficult to have any free practice with the single knuckle strike being so 'painful' on the recitpent, especially at close range.

It might suggest a long range practice like you're describing, to allow a portion of the art to be practiced, but more safely because the distance allows more defensive reaction time.

That wouldn't suggest that was how the practice would be used if pressed, but just another training practice.

I"m still re-reading Egami's book this weekend and see what it suggests.

But a book and afew snippets of video hardly answer anything. They are just what they are, too.

#360173 - 09/14/07 08:45 AM Re: Engami and the Shotokai [Re: Victor Smith]
Barad Offline

Victor,

Thanks for posting the clip-I have been interested in Shotokai (as a mostly Shotokan practicioner) from a distance. The "loose" style of punching seems to reflect the lack of kime that Shotokan under Nakayama made so prevalent. Having largly discarded kime myself (in Kissaki style karate), I find this quite appealing. Similarly the ippon ken is attractive, although I generally thought of this in terms of kyusho point striking, which I do not think actually features in Shotokai. I do remember the tales of 1980's UK Shotokan seniors in Japan who sparred with senior Shotokai people and reported being floored by seemingly very soft strikes to the body that caused deep, internal pain, akin to descriptions of tai chi/internal art strikes.

The sliding feet would be good IMO if they were coordinated with the punches landing to add momentum as they struck through the target. However some of the sliding seems to take place well after the punch lands so not appearing to add much. Perhaps there is another reason for it which is not clear.

The performance of Heian Yondan I found very odd. They seem to like very high, acrobatic kicking but in the context of kata, that seems to negate realistic applications (for example jodan kicks after a close, grappling movement in "holding the reins" position or after a lock using stacked hands). I do seem to remember reading that Egami admitted (very humbly for someone at his level) that he did not understand much of the meaning of kata movements.

The French "Egami style" Shotokai group look a lot firmer in their techniques than the old footage of the man himself, almost like Shotokan and without the obvious sliding.

B.

Edited by Barad (09/14/07 08:49 AM)

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga