FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
AndyLA 1
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#359953 - 09/06/07 10:56 PM ?Muay Greek?
Stone Carver Offline
Thinker

Loc: Dixie
I've heard a theory that older forms of muay thai may have been influenced by Alexnder the Great's pankratidors.
Muay Thai has several moves in common with pankration. But, what I see as the most compelling evidence is muay thai moves with names such as "The Fall of Hera"(Hera is a goddess in the Greek panthion). If anyone has any evidence supporting or debunking this theory, or just an opinion I'd love to hear about it.

Stone Carver

#359954 - 09/07/07 02:29 AM Re: ?Muay Greek? [Re: Stone Carver]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Hera is a snake in the Rama Kien. So there goes your greek theory out of the window.

I still stand on the side that Muay Boran, is an invention created by the Tai as the immigrated down towards modern day Thailand. The only influence it may have had may be some sort of ancient kung fu, but I still persist that Muay Boran is still a pure and not influenced by any art.

Muay Thai however, is much like me. A "Luk Kreung", half breed. Half Thai, Half British.

-Taison out

#359955 - 09/07/07 02:58 AM Re: ?Muay Greek? [Re: Taison]
Stone Carver Offline
Thinker

Loc: Dixie
Quote:

Hera is a snake in the Rama Kien. So there goes your greek theory out of the window.

I still stand on the side that Muay Boran, is an invention created by the Tai as the immigrated down towards modern day Thailand. The only influence it may have had may be some sort of ancient kung fu, but I still persist that Muay Boran is still a pure and not influenced by any art.

Muay Thai however, is much like me. A "Luk Kreung", half breed. Half Thai, Half British.

-Taison out

The pancration influence isn't MY theory, I don't even nessesarily agree with it.Though it would be exciting to find out the west had a substantial influence on eastern martial arts. It's simpley something I've heard and would like to learn more about.

Stone Carver

#359956 - 09/07/07 03:44 AM Re: ?Muay Greek? [Re: Stone Carver]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Can't say for the rest of the Asian arts, but Muay Boran has very little to none foreign influence in its development.

When it was exposed to British Quennsbury boxing however, it became the art we know today as Muay Thai.

-Taison out

#359957 - 09/07/07 03:52 AM Re: ?Muay Greek? [Re: Stone Carver]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Stone Carver

There is no strong evidence to suggest what the connection between Alexander the Great/Pankration and Eastern Martial arts were. There is not a great deal of academic study in this area.

If there were, it may be possible to establish something more substantive.

The best thing to do is to research the subject as best you can by reading books on Classical Studies and Ancient History. With all due respect to the members here (including myself of course), all we could likely do is speculate, like the rest of the world is doing.

I really like the look of Pankration, and as a amateur scholar of Classical Studies, it has a certain appeal to me in terms of its philosophy "Strong Mind in a Strong Body" etc..., but really, what we consider Pankration today was reconstructed, in part, from other contemporary martial arts (e.g. Judo, Wrestling) and the limited Ancient material (such statues, pictures, paintings etc) that were available.

Perhaps there are common techniques in Modern Pankration and Muay Thai because Modern Pankration included such techniques in its reconstruction? Who knows??

#359958 - 09/07/07 08:23 PM Re: ?Muay Greek? [Re: Prizewriter]
Viator Offline

There's also the fact that what works, works. There are only so many permutations of the human body, and so many ways you can bend a joint. At some point you've got to figure that an idea that started up in one place, lets say kicking people with your shin instead of your instep, started up in another place too, without the need for one group to tell the other.

The example I guess I'm thinking of is that every culture I've ever heard of had some sort of indigenous form of wrestling. When you look at cornish wrestling and judo, or mongolian wrestling and greco roman, you can't help but see the overlap. Is it because of cross pollination or convergant evolution?

#359959 - 09/09/07 08:36 PM Re: ?Muay Greek? [Re: Viator]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Good posts, PW and Viator. With the lack of any substansive record regarding the development of MOST martial arts, worrying about influences and lineage is an academic exercise with little practical benefit.

If the training is good, that is all that matters nowadays.

#359960 - 09/10/07 11:46 AM Re: ?Muay Greek? [Re: MattJ]
Meliam Offline

I don't really buy it.
Human Weapons is a TV show and they try to make every episode as interesting as they can. I think that someone may have had that theory but it is not something that is a fact.

They said that Modern Pankration was revived after they found some ancient artwork that showed some of the techniques used in ancient Pankration. For me that sounded a bit like people learning martial arts by reading a book.
(Sorry) It did look pretty cool, but it looked to me no different than most MMA styles here in the US.

Alexander the great never made it past India. So i don't know how much influence he had on the far east.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/40/MacedonEmpire.jpg

Meliam

#359961 - 10/11/07 05:18 AM Re: ?Muay Greek? [Re: Meliam]
shills11 Offline

Loc: Glasgow Scotland
These greeks seem to be trying to take credit for everything nowadays, only the other day was i told that Haggis wasn't Scottish at all! apparently it was an ancient greek sausage, which was described in a book by the philosopher Homer

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga