FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 44 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
Matakiant 1
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#358922 - 08/30/07 01:07 PM Re: Martial arts is not for everyone [Re: RazorFoot]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
I voted "no". It is my opinion that martial arts "can" benefit everybody but is not for everybody, or at least for some not until they are ready.

For myself I always thought I wanted to take a martial art but I never did because I just wasn't ready in my life at that point. By joining it back then there is a possibility things would have turned out okay but probably not. Also I think some people join martial arts to increase their fighting skills in the streets (bar fighting) which while it could be argued that it is benefiting them I just see that as the wrong reason to take a martial art. Within our own school our Instructor has refused to teach some people and has asked them to leave for one reason or another. It doesn't happen often but it has happened and it basically came down to attitude; attitude to training, attitude to other students, etc.

And then of course as mentioned about motivation, commitment, discipline, etc. which we know that everybody does not have.

#358923 - 08/31/07 02:28 PM Re: Martial arts is not for everyone [Re: Dereck]
tkd_high_green Offline
Veteran

Loc: Vermont
I'd like to answer this from a different perspective.

I agree that there are lazy people and people who have criminal intentions, but if we look at everyone else, then yes, I believe that the martial arts is for everyone.

Who are we to say that the martial arts are good for one person and not for someone else?

It seems to me that this is a question more of instructors not wanting to work with anyone but the best. I personally give more value to instructors who are willing to work with their students no matter what their issues.

Do we filter out the overweight students, the hyper active students, the scared to get hurt or to hurt others students, students with disabilities, women?

I currently have a student who has trouble sparring, when facing an aggressive opponent, she panics and shuts down, unable to even defend herself. Should I just give up on her?

One of the parents told me last week that her son was rejected at one of the other schools because he was too hyper. This is a kid currently going for his red belt at the next testing, who competes at every tournament and absolutly loves what he does. Should we have made the choice that the other school did?

If the student is willing to learn, it seems to me that the instructor should be willing to teach them. In that respect, I feel that the martial arts IS for everyone that wants to learn, is willing to learn, and is willing to work hard to learn.

Its not up to us to say how quickly they should learn or how much they can learn.

Laura

#358924 - 08/31/07 02:34 PM Re: Martial arts is not for everyone [Re: tkd_high_green]
JMWcorwin Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SoCal, USA
I don't think any of us are saying it can't be done by any of these people. At least I wasn't saying it. But, that some people just plain don't have the desire to do it. So, it would not be right for that person by definition. Just as if you have no desire to play baseball, then MLB would not be the best career choice for you.

#358925 - 08/31/07 02:36 PM Re: Martial arts is not for everyone [Re: tkd_high_green]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
Laura, not to disparage TKD in any way, or your contributions, but if what you say is true...then you could walk outside your dojo, offer 'free martial arts' to all the passersby and not have a dojo big enough to house them all. But I think you'd find that most people would keep walking. We like to think that something that captures our interest must have some intrinsic value that can benefit everyone...but that just isn't true.

#358926 - 08/31/07 03:10 PM Re: Martial arts is not for everyone [Re: harlan]
Joss Offline
Dragon

"If the student is willing to learn, it seems to me that the instructor should be willing to teach them. In that respect, I feel that the martial arts IS for everyone that wants to learn, is willing to learn, and is willing to work hard to learn."

Just restating what you wrote, in reverse, martial arts are NOT for people that don't want to learn, are not willing to learn and are not willing to work hard.

To me, this is not about saying no to people that are interested but challenged. MA most certainly IS for them. Heck... I ARE one. And so is everyone else in one way or another. We all have our own challenges to overcome. What we also have, though, is the internal need to do this.

To me, this is about accepting that MA just doesn't appeal to everyone... not who can be turned away.

#358927 - 08/31/07 03:32 PM Re: Martial arts is not for everyone [Re: Joss]
JMWcorwin Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SoCal, USA
Yes!

I love the battle of symantics.

And I agree completely.

#358928 - 08/31/07 10:22 PM Re: Martial arts is not for everyone [Re: JMWcorwin]
tkd_high_green Offline
Veteran

Loc: Vermont
I'm basing my argument on the thread originally quoted, which describes a student who didn't want to spar for some reason, yet to be determined. That student is obviously training, and I'm assuming that he wants to be there, not just being forced to go by his parents. This thread ultimately led to the conclusion that the martial arts aren't for everyone.

Should that instructor just give up on that student, kick them out because they refuse to spar? Does having an issue or inability with or in one aspect of the martial arts prevent a student from enjoying and improving in other aspects?

I'm not arguing that there are people out there that don't have an interest in the martial arts or who have greater interests in something else. I'm simply stating that we shouldn't say to little Johnny that the martial arts aren't for him and that he should go take up badminton. For the student that is trying, is it their fault if they can't get it, or the instructors?

#358929 - 08/31/07 10:52 PM Re: Martial arts is not for everyone [Re: tkd_high_green]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

Loc: POM, Monterey CA
There are martial sports out there, even martial dances. True martial arts is not for everyone. It takes almost as much discipline as military service.

#358930 - 09/01/07 09:24 AM Re: Martial arts is not for everyone [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
puffadder Offline

Loc: UK
To a certain extent the teacher is there to teach. He is being paid to pass on his knowledge and skill. A good instructor will change his teaching style to suit the student in front of him. Some learn better with lots of discipline whereas others might hate that approach. Some learn through watching moves whereas others need to hear spoken instructions and so on.
If a student isn't learning or appearing to work hard enough then maybe the instructor needs to look to their teaching skills as well as the motivation, ability and passion of the student.
Learning needs to be a 2 way communication.

#358931 - 09/01/07 10:24 AM Re: Martial arts is not for everyone [Re: puffadder]
iaibear Offline
Veteran

Loc: upstate New York
Quote:

To a certain extent the teacher is there to teach. He is being paid to pass on his knowledge and skill. A good instructor will change his teaching style to suit the student in front of him. Some learn better with lots of discipline whereas others might hate that approach. Some learn through watching moves whereas others need to hear spoken instructions and so on.
If a student isn't learning or appearing to work hard enough then maybe the instructor needs to look to their teaching skills as well as the motivation, ability and passion of the student.
Learning needs to be a 2 way communication.

Sounds like me up until @ three weeks ago when the dawn broke after seven years of me bitching and moaning about Aikido. All those years of "hinting" finally jelled. Not that I am any better at it, but now I know what is happening and can move forward. What a relief!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga