FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
futsaowingchun 2
ergees 2
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
Yesterday at 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35584 Topics
432513 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#358752 - 08/29/07 11:44 AM Re: "I don't wanna' fight" [Re: jpoor]
clmibb Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Texas, US
I was thinking about this thread this moring and my thoughts are with Jim. Really sit down with him and ask him why he doesn't like to spar. Maybe there was another student who was more aggressive than him and caused him to back off even more from it. See if he'd be more comfortable sparring the BBs in class (seeing how a BB SHOULD have more control than white and yellow belts). Build his confidence and see in a few months if he'd be more comfortable with students closer to his own rank.

Casey

#358753 - 08/29/07 12:02 PM Re: "I don't wanna' fight" [Re: clmibb]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
Don't expect much of an articulate reply from an 11 year old.

You know: I'm 46...and I don't like to fight! It's why I looked into an art that I thought would not involve physical contact. (Of course, one get's that sooner or later.) There are all kinds of 'reasons' people will give for not wanting to do something...and sometimes we're barely aware if there are other, deeper reasons for our likes/dislikes. For all you know, the kid is exploring pacifism (a little young), or 'daddy used to beat on mommy' (and it brings on flashbacks), or he is an undiagnosed asthmatic (and panic/fear triggers shortness of breath), or he is lazy, or was brought up 'not to hit'.

The problem with schools that focus on benchmarks is that it leaves kids behind that need more time to reach those points, or who simply can't approach those points from the same path.

#358754 - 08/29/07 01:55 PM Re: "I don't wanna' fight" [Re: Yuushi]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA
It seems you have laid the ground work for him to begin sparring, just approach it another way. Some people have a psychological block when it comes to "fighting" or "sparring" just refer to it as a drill. Explain that it is just like the two person drills, except one person can use any technique they want and the other person can only defend. Then switch it so the other person is attacking and the other is defending. Eventually you should be able to work him up to both doing whatever they want, attacking or defending which would be sparring. A lot of people don't like sparring because they are afraid to fail or to lose. In a drill there is no winning or losing just training. That is how sparring should be, however, I think we all know who that can go. Always stress that those are drills and he should be fine. You may even want to start doing the regular two man drills you do with the pads on. That will get him used to using them when exchanging techniques with another person and further acclamate him to the sparring, oh, I mean drilling sessions.

#358755 - 08/29/07 02:40 PM Re: "I don't wanna' fight" [Re: medulanet]
AndrewGreen Offline
shadow-lurker

Seems like taking swimming lessons and not wanting to get wet to me...?

Fighting is not barbaric, unless it becomes about hurting the other person and not caring about there welfare. Otherwise play fighting is one game that every animal on the planet seems to enjoy naturally, humans included.

http://innovativema.ca/forum/view.php?pg=whywefight

Articles linked at the bottom are a good read as well

#358756 - 08/29/07 05:21 PM Re: "I don't wanna' fight" [Re: AndrewGreen]
ironsifu Offline

Loc: sacramento, CA
the bottom line of this discussion is that martial arts is not for everyone. some people are in the business to train fighters, and teach people to defend. some are in business to held their hands. i have a problem with schools that advertise they are true martial arts school, when he is really a day care center. there is nothing wrong if you want to make money with the martial arts. but when you try to make it "one size fit all", and not even teach the real art of fighting, and use "good grades, fun, respect, blah blah blah", you are no longer martial arts school.

you are a self defense teacher, not a physcologist. if the boy needs mental help, send him to the professional. dont make promises to parents this is dishonest. "miss, you want your boy to walk with confidence, send him to me, i guarantee in one year nobody will mess with him." but if he's talking back to his mom and dad, tell them to beat his ass. if he skipping home work or cant pass the test, send him to a tutor (or hire one and let them tutor kids. i did this for my high school kids is a great idea).

martial arts is not for everyone, just like gymnastics, just like accelerated math, just like football. either you want it or you dont. give him a excited talk to get him to stay, but dont beg. martial arts is not "one size fits all". keep your arts pure, and hold your head up around the guys in the top of the food chain.

#358757 - 09/06/07 01:51 PM Re: "I don't wanna' fight" [Re: ironsifu]
Yuushi Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
Well, my teacher and I talked to the class as a whole. trying to get the point across that to do karate you have to do all parts of Karate, or we won't promote you. We then asked everybody what they liked and disliked about karate. The boy said that he didn't like pain. True he does get hurt sometimes in sparring... everyone does. Pain was the reason he chose not to spar, or at least part of the reason. The other day we did spar, and he did join in. I'm glad he chose to. Hopefully he'll stick with it.

Well I just want to say thanks everyone for your advice. This is definitely a deep subject and could be brought a lot further, and its pry something I'll encounter again some other time. I can definitely see this branching off into some other martial arts topics, but those are definitely for another time.

Thanks all.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga