FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#358029 - 09/26/07 04:36 PM Re: Samurai Mon [Re: hedkikr]
PsychoDave Offline

Loc: California bay area
Quote:

So...PsychoDave, it's been nearly a month since you last posted. What did you decide? If you adopted a mon, how did you make your decision?

(or did you simply disappear because you got opinions that conflicted w/ yours)

*not a personal dig but it happens a lot here.

Hey, whats up? Actually my computer caught on fire...luckly I was home when it happened. Kinda nerve racking.

First let me say I appreciate everyones feed back and oppenions. I knew some people wernt going to agree with me, its nothing new. I must admit the initial responce kinda made me want to stay awas because I was initially just looking for resources of information regarding the mon, not peoples personal openions on its use, and it seemed that rather than giving me info people wanted to jump down my throat and tell me im an idiot.

I just read through a few pages and the discussion is quite thought provoking. You all have some very good points regarding the subject and I am taking them into mind when I say this...

I have adopted a mon, weather or not I will use it is to be determined, I probably wont use it because I cant find any information on the family. Im also thinking of taking the same design and changing it a bit, but that doesnt seem quite right to me... At first I was against the Idea of designing my own, but that may work, or I will use the mon of my dojo, which after reading through the thread again makes the most sense...

#358030 - 09/26/07 08:25 PM Re: Samurai Mon [Re: PsychoDave]
hedkikr Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southern California, USA
Glad to see that you didn't just cut-&-run. Also glad to see that you're now thinking on a deeper level than simple cosmetics.

Hope that your new computer kicks azz.

#358031 - 09/27/07 12:39 AM Re: Samurai Mon [Re: hedkikr]
iaibear Offline
Veteran

Loc: upstate New York
Ever thought of designing your own mon with a purely American motif? Mount Rushmore, the Statue of Liberty, a vintage Ford car, a Harley Davidson?

#358032 - 09/27/07 12:53 AM Re: Samurai Mon [Re: iaibear]
hedkikr Offline
Professional Poster

V-rod's nice ride

#358033 - 09/27/07 02:58 PM Re: Samurai Mon [Re: hedkikr]
PsychoDave Offline

Quote:

Glad to see that you didn't just cut-&-run. Also glad to see that you're now thinking on a deeper level than simple cosmetics.

Hope that your new computer kicks azz.

Just grabbing one and going was never the intention. I just wish I could find some info on the one I chose...what family it belonged to, where they lived, what they did...something...anything, but I can not find any resources at all...its dissapointing to say the least

#358034 - 09/27/07 03:02 PM Re: Samurai Mon [Re: iaibear]
PsychoDave Offline

Quote:

Ever thought of designing your own mon with a purely American motif? Mount Rushmore, the Statue of Liberty, a vintage Ford car, a Harley Davidson?

Ive been considering it more and more lately. Im in love with the ocean...wish I had gotten into marine biology or oceanography instead of realestate, oh well. Some sort of ocean creature, like a Mantis Shrimp or something might be cool...I just gotta make sure there is little detail because I dont want it blurry when its shrunk...I would need something crisp, a simple design...

#358035 - 09/28/07 12:09 AM Re: Samurai Mon [Re: PsychoDave]
fatguy Offline

Quote:

Ive been considering it more and more lately. Im in love with the ocean...wish I had gotten into marine biology or oceanography instead of realestate, oh well. Some sort of ocean creature, like a Mantis Shrimp or something might be cool...I just gotta make sure there is little detail because I dont want it blurry when its shrunk...I would need something crisp, a simple design...

hmm... maybe a wave then? thats a simple squiggly line

#358036 - 09/28/07 09:45 AM Re: Samurai Mon [Re: fatguy]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
Hedkikr,

While I understand where you're coming from and the points you are trying to make, I think it would be a good idea to remember that JSA's are very traditional in nature and tend to attract people who are somewhat more aware of and appreciative of Japanese culture than the normal populace.

I will take your word for it that what you meant by "playing samurai" were the folks who take it to a bizarre extreme. There have been others who said things that were similar, but meant something very different.

There is nothing wrong with gaijin training in tradtional Japanese arts, although you are certain to find some of the more ultra-conservative folks in Japan who still don't approve. They should not be practiced in such a way that ignores Japanese culture, but it is not necessary to try to BE Japanese in order to practice them either.

Edited by Charles Mahan (09/28/07 09:46 AM)

#358037 - 09/28/07 12:26 PM Re: Samurai Mon [Re: Charles Mahan]
hedkikr Offline
Professional Poster

Correct...people who play "saa-mur-eye" are the Star Wars & Highlander geeks who think twirling a sword is cooler than a single diagonal cut.

I appreciate & admire people of all backgrounds, ethnicities & nationalities who dedicate a major portion of their lives to an archaic artform purely for the appreciation of it's simple beauty, perfect body mechanics, rich history, spiritual oneness & the weapon itself.

And you're wrong about 1 thing...there are VERY few hard-line conservative Japanese who oppose Gaijin training in JSA. This small minority might be akin to the KKK but in smaller numbers. They don't represent the majority of Japanese just as the KKK definately don't represent the South. It's a myth held over from post-WWII when it was true. Remember, the older Sensei grew up in the Imperial ultra-nationalistic days. No, Japanese are very proud & impressed when they see Gaijin represent their heritage (as long as they represent proficiently & not bring embarassment). That's where the Star Wars & Highlander geeks fall WAY short.

owari

#358038 - 09/28/07 12:47 PM Re: Samurai Mon [Re: hedkikr]
hedkikr Offline
Professional Poster

Just another note (not meaning to beat the dead horse) to clarify some cultural perspectives:

Having read the previous post, please accept the fact that unless you've lived in Japan for an extended period, among Japanese & immersed in the culture it's still a copy. I'll describe it in terms you may understand:

If you've trained in authentic JSA for many years, you can tell by looking, who embodies not only the external movements but the internal features of the art. You'll pick miniscule clues in their state of mind (mushin), balance (feet), core (hara) & follow-through (zanshin). Non-practitioners will never pick-up these subtle clues.

Japanese culture/mind is more than knowing not to stick your "hashi" in a bowl of rice as you drink your tea. It's more than knowing how to take "ofuro". This isn't an accusation of insincerity, stupidity or mindlessness. It just is. I appreciate people who want to understand my culture.

Just an example: A friend approaches you & congratulates you on your son's selection as Valadictorian. What is your response?

(answer to follow)

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga