FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 26 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#357599 - 09/07/07 11:46 PM Re: What helped you decide to compete? [Re: Helen2005]
MastaFighta Offline

Loc: United States
Unfortunately, I never took the opportunity to compete when I attended Taekwondo classes. My instructor tried convincing me on numerous occasions, but I didn't give in. Now, after having left the school about six years ago, I wish I had competed. One reason why I didn't compete was because I really dislike being among a big crowd. It's not so much as shyness but rather just something I disliked. Another reason was the only sparring that the vast majority of competitions did was point-sparring.

Competitions are the only events in which you can actually put what you learn to application. Not to mention test what you know against someone else, let alone experiment with techniques, combinations, etcetera.

Anyway, if you want to compete, then by all means compete. Don't pass up on a chance like that if you really want it.

#357600 - 09/08/07 04:24 PM Re: What helped you decide to compete? [Re: MastaFighta]
Helen2005 Offline

Loc: Arkansas
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely take it to heart. If I don't decide to compete, at least I will get something out of it. I will be in shape and will have the tools to defend myself, if I ever need to. Also, I will have more self-confidence. I don't feel like I am wasting my time, regardless of what I do with what I have learned. Competition is a big step to me. When the time comes for me to decide if I want to or not, only I will be able to make that decision. Everyone's thoughts and advice will be on my mind at that point in my life and I appreciate it.

#357601 - 09/11/07 12:48 PM Re: What helped you decide to compete? [Re: Helen2005]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
Muay Thai and TKD is good practice, but I don't see how you can study either with out sparring they are hands on sports. You can practice the moves but until you learn to apply them thats all you are doing is that. Unless you just started you have sparred in the gym with other people your size and near your level.

Sparring other Muay Thai fighters from other gyms help you defend the near same techniques applied in different ways, its not good to just work within your gyms method you can learn from working with other gym technicans. The same is true with any fighting system.

Usually the Instructors won't let you be over matched, they know this is a confidence building stage of training. Training seeing and feeling what works best for you is the true proof of the pudding in these arts. The good thing about MT is you can grab (close) and push to the ground if they get too rough anybody can do that.

If your Instructor ask you he must see potential or that you need that little push. It will make you far more confidence in what you are doing and where you are in your training.

Stay moving and don't plant your front leg!

Edited by Neko456 (09/11/07 12:50 PM)

#357602 - 09/24/07 05:26 PM Re: What helped you decide to compete? [Re: Helen2005]
sheepingly Offline

Loc: Southern California.
Me a fellow girl =) I haven't competed...I probably won't until I hit my 1 year mark or when I feel like I'm made alot of improvements in my health and in my MA skills. Plus in my heart I know I'm not ready.

#357603 - 09/25/07 10:41 AM Re: What helped you decide to compete? [Re: sheepingly]
Helen2005 Offline

I feel the same way. I don't believe I'm anywhere near ready to compete (only been doing this for 3 months). However, I'm really gonna leave it up to my coach when the time comes. If she thinks I'm ready, and if I feel ready, then I will go ahead and compete.

#357604 - 09/25/07 12:12 PM Re: What helped you decide to compete? [Re: Helen2005]
sheepingly Offline

Helen,

I've only been doing my thing for 4-5 months. I do Kickboxing, Kali Silat, JKD, BJJ, Muay Thia, and Shaolin Kenpo...a few years ago I was doing Shotokan Karate....

At the dojo I go to every six months they have Fight Night...which explains itself...the next one is in November. That would be my 6 month mark. I don't feel I'm ready. Maybe when the next one comes in May 20 08 I'll be ready.

#357605 - 09/25/07 01:47 PM Re: What helped you decide to compete? [Re: sheepingly]
Helen2005 Offline

I am doing kickboxing and MMA. It's a lot of fun! My husband and I spar at home, with protective gear, and I can tell I'm getting better. It's just taking me longer to get the hang of things than I originally anticipated. But, we all have to go at our own pace. I'm sure you will be ready by next May. You seem to have quite a bit going on. I wish you luck and keep us posted when you do compete.

#357606 - 09/25/07 02:24 PM Re: What helped you decide to compete? [Re: Helen2005]
sheepingly Offline

heh heh you pretty much do what I do. What does your MMA consist of? Usually fight night at our dojo is mostly for the KB fighters. Most of the ones who go to that have been training at the dojo for at least 3+ years. And they are stronger than me and physically better. They scare me still LOL.

But me personally I have the Martial Art/MMA/BJJ and etc. advantage they don't. Though I don't know if I can include that into the bout. I know I'm improving and it's coming to the point where I understand when they say doing 1000's of repetitions will make it come naturally...and I see it happening with me sometimes.

#357607 - 09/25/07 03:05 PM Re: What helped you decide to compete? [Re: sheepingly]
Helen2005 Offline

My training has consisted of kickboxing, up until this week, when my dojo decided to throw some MMA into the classes. I haven't been to class yet (going tonight), but my husband went last night. The MMA part of class consisted of grounding and pounding and a small amount of grappling to get your opponent into a more submissive position. Sounds like a lot of fun and I can't wait for class tonight. Not sure which martial art that technique comes from, but you get the idea I guess. My original plan was to fight to kickboxing rules, but the competition is limited since I'm female. There seem to be more females in MMA, so I'm looking at pursuing that type of fighting style. Not really interested in a lot of grappling, just enough to survive if the fight goes to the ground. MMA fighting has a lot more freedom (elbows and knees) and that type of fighting seems to suit me more. I watch UFC and IFL Battleground and love it. I wish there were more women involved in this sport. I would love to see Gina Carano fight, but I don't have Showtime. Maybe with time, this sport will be less dominated by men, but for now, we have to deal .

#357608 - 09/25/07 04:33 PM Re: What helped you decide to compete? [Re: Helen2005]
sheepingly Offline

Ground fighting is usually wrestling, sambo, bJJ or one of the other ones I forgot. I love UFC, I'm more of a ground and pound kinda person than a striking/standup person. That's funny how there's mostly females in your MMA class...there' mostly males in mine. And more females in KB. I love MMA and BJJ and Martial arts in general. I think it still amazes people that I love it (as a female) because no one in my circle of friends or even friends of freinds are interested in martial arts and when I told them I MMA training among KB and others...they are like WHOA lol...I love UFC, Pride, IFL, and WEC. I watch it all the time. It's funny how i used to watch it for fun but now I'm in MMA I watch it to study and learn lol.

Maybe one day I'll compete but for now I do it for fun.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Supremor, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga