How does one create a style?
I'll use myself as an example
1) First of you need a basic philosophy to base everything on. In my case, I believe in an eye for an eye, full contact, blunt force trauma that will rattle his ancestors. Hence, in my case it would involve a lot of striking, conditioning, basically, a military style training regime with no fancy stuff techniques, just stuff that works and is simple. Less is more.
2) Techniques. You can 're-invent' or just steal some. I stole a lot from MT, Boxing, Judo, Jujutsu, Karate and some Bajiquan.
3) Train. You can 're-invent' or just steal from other arts. I stole a lot from Judo and boxing.
4) Aliveness or dead method. Are you for sparring and 'alive' training or are you for dead training like katas and no-resistance training?
5) Get some students. You can hire some or just steal. I stole some.
Those are some basic ideas how to create a style. I call mine "Thief-kune-do".