FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 49 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
cxt 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 18 of 19 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 >
Topic Options
#356882 - 12/18/07 07:17 AM Re: what can you actually do with chi? [Re: fileboy2002]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

As for the rest, I am having a hard time figuring out exactly what you are trying to say. I would guess you are either a non-native English speaker (which is certainly no crime) or are being deliberately obtuse (which is).

Hope this helps.
Quote:

Morning Gavin. Should imagine the kettle is on.

Means = Good morning Gavin. I should imagine you are making coffee or tea.
In the UK we have a thing called a kettle.
It boils water. The water is poured in to a cup. The cup could have coffee or a tea bag in it.

I presume you know what a tea bag is?

Tea! not chi! or yi!

Quote:

Art thou going to discuss chi and what it is? how is it implemented? or art thou going to join in and compete on ambigouse sentences.

Art,thou,thine,thy is old English.

pluperfect? do you think?

Are you Yours

Quote:

As for the rest, I am having a hard time figuring out exactly what you are trying to say. I would guess you are either a non-native English speaker (which is certainly no crime) or are being deliberately obtuse (which is).

Copy and post the parts that you cant figure out and I will explain.

Please inform me as to if you know what this is.

"homeostatic balance in biological regulations"

Does it exist and what exactly is it?

Jude

Edited by jude33 (12/18/07 08:00 AM)

#356883 - 12/18/07 08:25 AM Re: what can you actually do with chi? [Re: fileboy2002]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

No.The validity of quantum mechanics can be proven--has been proven. Ki has not.

And while "worry" itself cannot be measured, the physiological effects of stress--e.g. increased blood pressure, heart rate, etc--can be. This is not true of ki.

The fact is every attempt to scientifically demonstrate ki has failed.

Which term/idea for ki was diss-proven. One of the silly modern new age version?

Fa Jing Means ‘emitting Jing’. Jing is defined as the combination of physical strength, qi, and yi in a martial technique

Then we are back to the worry concept. The use of pure physical strength/ exercise doesnt give a person the tools to deal with things such as worry. Will just physical training give the additional energy that training the other aspects might?

Jude

I hope you follow.

#356884 - 12/18/07 12:07 PM Re: what can you actually do with chi? [Re: jude33]
Fisherman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado, USA
Quote:

Walking in bagau
Slow movements in Tai Chi
Correct body alignment gives more energy?

Possibly. I like to think of it more as we expend less energy because we move in a more efficient manner therefore we have more energy to expend.

#356885 - 12/18/07 06:40 PM Re: what can you actually do with chi? [Re: Fisherman]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Simplistically speaking, it's about using your whole being in a coordinated fashion - and I don't necessarily mean just a coordination of body, heart (xin), mind-will/intent (yi).

So, is it more efficient to use your "whole body" to lift, say, a coffee cup? Wouldn't it be far more efficient to do so using isolated muscle?

#356886 - 12/18/07 08:12 PM Re: what can you actually do with chi? [Re: eyrie]
Fisherman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado, USA
Quote:

So, is it more efficient to use your "whole body" to lift, say, a coffee cup? Wouldn't it be far more efficient to do so using isolated muscle?

I don't think so. I have a cup of hot tea in front of me right now. I just lifted it with my arm alone and I feel more exertion than I do when I use my structure to lift and then support the cup.

#356887 - 12/19/07 07:11 PM Re: what can you actually do with chi? [Re: jude33]
fileboy2002 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Chicago, IL
The existence of ki has to be proven, not disproven. Nothing can be definatively disproven. I cannot, for example, disprove that there are a dozen invisible fairies dancing above the hood of my car right now. But that does not mean I should believe in them.

Talking about the "silly New Age" version of ki is redudent; ki is, by nature, a silly New Age idea.

#356888 - 12/19/07 10:25 PM Re: what can you actually do with chi? [Re: fileboy2002]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

The existence of ki has to be proven, not disproven. Nothing can be definatively disproven. I cannot, for example, disprove that there are a dozen invisible fairies dancing above the hood of my car right now. But that does not mean I should believe in them.

Talking about the "silly New Age" version of ki is redudent; ki is, by nature, a silly New Age idea.

Hi

My student thoughts.

The concept of Ki isnt a new age idea. It has been around since year dot. Seems like you havent researched your argument.

Do you know how many different meanings there are for ki?
It would seem the meaning of ki that you are basing this argument on isnt the one I am basing the argument on.
This is the problem here. I think you have this one set idea. I did ask a question which you havent answered or attempted to answer. Would you care to answer it.

please inform me as to if you know what this is.

"homeostatic balance in biological regulations"

Does it exist and what exactly is it?

If your definition and attempts to understand the term ki are as not being a descriptive word for the additional energy released in the human body brought about by a persons own self control then you seemingly are choosing to read the fairy tales version. Thus your comparison to fairys on the hood of your car.

You seem to be sadly following/ attempting to dissprove the beliefs of people who choose to write fairy tales and use the term ki to sell a product.

Jude

Edited by jude33 (12/19/07 10:42 PM)

#356889 - 12/19/07 10:26 PM Re: what can you actually do with chi? [Re: fileboy2002]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Proving whether ki exists as a physical entity is akin to proving whether God [or insert preferred religious icon/diety] exists. It's pointless.

Ki is NOT a physical entity - it is a theoretical concept, a mental construct, a conceptual model, an abstraction...

Focusing on what ki is, and what you can do with it etc. is like looking at fingers pointing at the moon... and thus missing the point.

#356890 - 12/20/07 08:47 AM Re: what can you actually do with chi? [Re: Stormdragon]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello Stormdragon:

You did...

Jeff

#356891 - 12/20/07 08:51 AM Re: what can you actually do with chi? [Re: jude33]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello Jude:

Belief or not for myself is the lessor issue. Provided I can improve my technique, find more subtle power (ie with less external effort), don't care what you call it... if I can replicate it (in spite of my doubts)... I'm "in" show me, teach me please....

Jeff

Page 18 of 19 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga