FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
#356712 - 08/17/07 08:39 AM what can you actually do with chi?
beltlevel Offline
Stranger

Ok, This isn't about ki balls or anything. I've started to medtiate about 2 months ago, since I want to better myself. I did Teakwondo for a while, but it lacked meditation and softer things that I wanted to do.
I wanted to know more about what chi was actually about since the one inch punch looked interested and I doubt its authenticity- including brick bashing and things. So i just wanted to know: What can you do with it once you've developed chi?

#356713 - 08/17/07 09:28 AM Re: what can you actually do with chi? [Re: beltlevel]
EFRAIN Offline

Loc: Paterson, NJ USA
hey man if you want info on internal arts go to www.blacktaoist.com ... this guy really knows his craft in many chinese arts n then some. very well respected in the nyc area "tristate" area. he can also demostrate what and how to develope chi...i've witness it myself..it aint no superpower thing its just how well you use ur strengh along with body mechanics that many instructor just dont teach nowadays even thought they think they are...again...the site is www.blacktaoist.com ask him whatever u want and he'll have an answer

#356714 - 08/17/07 09:49 AM Re: what can you actually do with chi? [Re: beltlevel]
Fisherman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado, USA
Quote:

What can you do with it once you've developed chi?

Live with it.
Seriously, what do you anticipate being able to 'do' with chi?
You doubt the authenticity of the 1" punch because why? Do you think that it has something to do with chi? Do you think that it takes chi to "bash bricks"?

The only way to really even try and understand what chi is to find a teacher in Bagua, Tai Chi or Xing Yi or some other form of practice wherein the is a emphasis on inter mind/body integration.

#356715 - 08/17/07 10:17 AM Re: what can you actually do with chi? [Re: Fisherman]
beltlevel Offline
Stranger

Quote:

Quote:

What can you do with it once you've developed chi?

Live with it.
Seriously, what do you anticipate being able to 'do' with chi?
You doubt the authenticity of the 1" punch because why? Do you think that it has something to do with chi? Do you think that it takes chi to "bash bricks"?

The only way to really even try and understand what chi is to find a teacher in Bagua, Tai Chi or Xing Yi or some other form of practice wherein the is a emphasis on inter mind/body integration.

I apologize sincerely for my ignorance- something which I'm trying to solve, and yes, I might find an instructor., The problem is there aren't many instructors in my area- in Durham, England. I'm dedicated to the MA, and I'm very passionate about it despite learning teakwondo for only about 1 year and a half.
But seriously- thx both of you for your advice- I'll seirously consider getting a teacher (somehow)or maybe in the end I'll take the path of learning to control and harness chi myself. For all I know, the bricks bashed could be brute strength, really chi, or maybe the bricks were weak. so,
In any case, I want to be able to live a healthy lifestyle, and be able to better myself through training. I just wanted to know what it could do.
Thx to the first guy who replied, i'll look into it.

Edited by beltlevel (08/17/07 10:22 AM)

#356716 - 08/17/07 09:13 PM Re: what can you actually do with chi? [Re: beltlevel]
jkdwarrior Offline

Loc: belfast, Antrim, Ireland
Chi is simply the improved use of human biomechanics. Essentially the idea is to be able to angle your joints and use the muscles in a way that enables the most efficient movement. The beauty is that when you move efficiently, you are always in a position to use your full strangth and momentum, making possible feats that seem to the lay person - superhuman. I don't believe it is some kind of mystical force that runs through everything, but I understand this way of thinking.
After many hours of training you're movements will feel effortless, almost like your hands move themselves, on some inflating and deflating ball. It is also a meditation in itself, as you must constantly focus on what you're doing (well I still have to anyway). It improves balance, co-ordination, posture and timing. It gives you the exercise you need if you do it regularly enough, and plays an excellent role in the nurturing of a healthy lifestyle.
You should find an instructor though. They are actually quite numerous, I found several on the first page just doing a google search.
As for the brick breaking and one inch punch, they're real. You just don't understand it enough yet to see how the power is being applied. Any half decent MAist can do them.

#356717 - 08/18/07 12:13 AM Re: what can you actually do with chi? [Re: beltlevel]
phd Offline

I'd agree that the vast majority of what is called chi is biomechanics in my experience (which is limited). However, that other 1% or so that I've seen I have no explanation for and don't expect to ever be able to do myself. Interestingly, the strangest things I've seen described as chi manipulation were healing acts, not harming ones.

#356718 - 08/19/07 05:42 AM Re: what can you actually do with chi? [Re: phd]
beltlevel Offline
Stranger

Thx alot guys, for clearing things up a little. Out of curiosity how long does it take to train yourself to be able to start using chi in martial arts? I read from this site somewhere you need to meditate everyday for a hundred days- and your chi is 'developed'. How can you measure how 'developed' your chi is?

#356719 - 08/19/07 07:55 AM Re: what can you actually do with chi? [Re: beltlevel]
puffadder Offline

Loc: UK
To get an idea of what chi feels like hold your hands about 6 inches apart in front of you , palms facing each other. Relax your elbows and shoulders downwards and focus on the space between your hands. Imagine you are holding a ball of energy. You should feel a warm or tingling feeling in your hands. That is your chi. Move your hands slowly in and out to feel the limits of your 'chi ball'. The more you can relax and focus the more you will feel.
Good biomechanics means you can use the body more efficiently and so the chi flows through you with less obstruction.
You really need to try and find a good teacher near you to benefit properly.

#356720 - 08/19/07 01:16 PM Re: what can you actually do with chi? [Re: puffadder]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

...or, when you do that, another way to think about it is normally imperceptable heat convection, blood circulation and muscle micro-contractions. usually we aren't aware of these subtle and barely detectable physics going on until we calm and quiet ourselves to observe it.

another is sitting in a very quiet area, and hearing the very faint high pitched 'white noise'. some could describe it as chi, some would explain it as the sound your inner ear is picking up of the subtle vibration from blood circulating the area.

often, people WANT to believe and attribute such things as chi ...so they inquire no further.

I certainly don't know for sure, but I try to think of other possibilities beyond what I'd LIKE to believe. It would be cool as hell if we all had telepathy, clairavoiance, ancient but forgotten powers, and if extraterrestrial UFO's were real.

because it's cool, doesn't make it so...but it does make for good fiction writing.

#356721 - 08/19/07 04:37 PM Re: what can you actually do with chi? [Re: puffadder]
ShangTsung Offline

Loc: Bomb factory
No thats the blood flowing from your hands as your not using them and the muscles starting to stiffen this is what causes the feeling of magnatism when you pull them apart. You are exploiting simple science in an attempt to create evidence for a "force" which has none.

I just realised the guy above me explained it alot better then i could be bothered to so disregard what i said above ill just say i agree with him

Edited by ShangTsung (08/19/07 04:40 PM)

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 ... 18 19 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga