FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 8
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35572 Topics
432478 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#356547 - 08/16/07 03:38 PM Re: Sensei as friend [Re: oldman]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
I know it's a cliche, but 'To the right teacher, the right student.'

#356548 - 08/16/07 04:01 PM Re: Sensei as friend [Re: harlan]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

We could add to that "At he right time". A few years ago I would not have been able or perhaps willing to cause "Pain". She knows I have no desire to injure and she trusts me partly because I can apply measured discomfort/ pain now. She experiences it as respectful toward her. I think she is growing to realise that she can bare pain and discomfort and even choose to move toward it if it is
purposeful.

#356549 - 09/25/07 04:27 PM Re: Sensei as friend [Re: oldman]
sheepingly Offline

Loc: Southern California.
This kind of reminds me of the dojo I go to. Alot of it requires close contact w/ other people both male and female and are people whom you have no bond with. To be able to trust each other as well as your sensei that you won't get hurt, you won't be the fool of all jokes, (which is how it is IRL mind you), and everyone is there to help, work, and learn with each other. But it's amazing to see when people are challenged to face their insecurities and obstacles they quickly freak out and runaway and stop attending. But I digress. Back to the 'Sensei as friend' topic.

The sensei's at the dojo go to, I don't necessarily consider friend but I do have complete trust in them. Granted there are some flaws I need to work on that hinder my progress like self doubt but because I trust and value my sensei's especially the main one. They care that you attend regularly and don't want you to half crap your work outs and make excuses. They want you to put 200% into everything. They compliment you when your doing great, they will guide you when you falter.

And I take pride knowing that he has full faith in everyone especially me because I don't let the fact that I'm the only female get to me like it has done to other women who have chosen to run away instead of stay and work past their insecurities. I take pride knowing that our sensei(s) look out for all of us, especially me. I take pride that they take pride when we accomplish something amazing or even the fact that we showed up today.

I love the dojo I attend. It's like a second family, almost better than my first one I feel comfortable there and I actually feel free there. Free to be who I am. I haven't had that in a long time.

#356550 - 11/11/07 11:33 PM Re: Sensei as friend [Re: sheepingly]
acc47 Offline

Loc: FL
My master and I have pretty good trust in one another. He doesn't get out much he teaches and works, but that is it.

When we are in the dojo we get very serious and we don't really let the others know about how we joke around after class, and make fun of each other. Even though he is much higher up than me we have a connection that I don't have with anyone else. I can trust him, and when I need him he will always be there for me, and for my classmates. I don't know what I would do if I would have never met him.

#356551 - 11/12/07 12:20 AM Re: Sensei as friend [Re: acc47]
acc47 Offline

The highlights of my week are Mondays and Wednesdays when I can walk into our dojo and practice and get myself hurt! I count down the days, and on Monday I can't wait for Wednesday and Wednesday I can't wait for Monday. I just love kung fu and I can't get enough of it. I spend my computer time researching our style and finding tips.

I don't think my master knows how much it means to me for him to just show up twice a week and teach me how to kick, punch, block, ect.
For any masters, senseis, or teachers out there that just show up and teach, Thank You. I don't know what I would do without kung fu.

#356552 - 11/12/07 12:30 AM Re: Sensei as friend [Re: oldman]
acc47 Offline

Quote:

Harlan,
I had an experience a while back with one of my students. She is a forty something mom with 3 kids. She caught me one day after class and said

" I just wanted to say thank you" I asked what for? she replied "Your teaching is different. You are the only one here that is not afraid of hurting me. Everyone else treats me like I'm going to break, thank you".

I'm smiling just recounting the story.

I understand how she feels. Some of my classmates go easy on me just because I am a girl and I am a bit younger. My masters do to sometimes. I just say to them that I can take anything that they can throw at me, and to quit holding back. That is how I got punched in the nose and have bruises all over! LOL

One thing that I have learned is never underestimate someone if you don't know what they are capeable of.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga