FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#356483 - 08/19/07 05:21 PM Re: My Best Use of Aikido [Re: wristtwister]
jpoor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Fairfax, VA
I was browsing old posts a bit ago and it struck me as really odd that the conversation when from one of respect and advice seeking / giving here:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...=2#Post15862434

to what we have in this thread.

Best,
Jim

#356484 - 08/19/07 07:54 PM Re: My Best Use of Aikido [Re: jpoor]
SpeedyGonzales Offline

Quote:

I was browsing old posts a bit ago and it struck me as really odd that the conversation when from one of respect and advice seeking / giving here:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...=2#Post15862434

to what we have in this thread.

I know what you mean

#356485 - 08/19/07 08:08 PM Re: My Best Use of Aikido [Re: jpoor]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
One was a request for information, the other an application for sainthood.

Read the thread you dredged up from beginning to end, and then read this one from beginning to end. They are totally different, both in focus and intent.

I hope Speedy has a long and useful life, but if he sticks around in the pond, he'll eventually get wet.

#356486 - 08/19/07 08:30 PM Re: My Best Use of Aikido [Re: wristtwister]
jpoor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Fairfax, VA
I wasn't choosing sides, just pointing out the irony.

Best,
Jim

#356487 - 08/19/07 09:44 PM Re: My Best Use of Aikido [Re: jpoor]
wristtwister Offline

No problem... There's just a significant difference in the thrust of the discussions.

#356488 - 08/21/07 11:59 AM Re: My Best Use of Aikido [Re: wristtwister]
copyright Offline

I think this was a good use of restraint and I think your training served you well.

#356489 - 08/21/07 09:53 PM Re: My Best Use of Aikido [Re: copyright]
MattyChi Offline

Loc: Grand Rapids, MI
yea goodjob speedy I thought it was a cool post because there are many times when people try to instigate fights and things almost get real bad because I am not good at rising above it, so props to you.
I am fully aware how new I am to this forum, but wrist I think you are a bit attacking for no reason. All you simply needed to say was, "It's good you were able to avoid the conflict but you should be more ready to fight in such situations, goodjob mate"
Find a better hobby than randomly lecturing kids half your age about how much ass you can kick

Edited by MattyChi (08/21/07 09:57 PM)

#356490 - 08/22/07 06:08 PM Re: My Best Use of Aikido [Re: MattyChi]
wristtwister Offline

Fine, guys... you guys sit around and hold hands with gang members, and show them you can walk off from their violence. I'm sure they will follow your good example, and give up the gangster lifestyle.

What probably happened, for real, is that they had something else to do rather than kick Speedy's a$$ at the time. Along with all the training I've done, which is another sore spot with you guys, I also worked undercover for two years. There isn't much I haven't seen or been around when it was going down... both from gangs, drug dealers, and every other kind of scumbag out there. All they respect is the guy with the biggest gun... and turning around on them only offers them a bigger target.

I avoid violence at every opportunity, but I'm smart enough to know when it's going to be necessary, and I don't attribute that to martial arts training, but to living in the real world. The ability to use my training is where I have an advantage, and there are lots of times when I could unload on somebody but don't.

If you keep cruising around in gang territory, you'll eventually "get in touch" with them. If you're lucky, you'll live to go somewhere else... if not, don't say I didn't warn you. I'm just not going to nominate you for sainthood simply because you walk away from a fight. You might have only lived to fight another day because they didn't have a gun with them. The answer is to get out of the area where that situation will occur... much less where it is the "regular" occurance.

Like I said before, adults make those kinds of decisions. Bravery and walking away will get you killed, and a brave dead guy is just as dead. I grew up around gangs, and they don't respect your walking away, even if they don't take any action this time. They'll be around... and they have a shot at you any time that you are.

#356491 - 09/05/07 02:42 AM Re: My Best Use of Aikido [Re: SpeedyGonzales]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

I believe Aikido has shown its deepest protection to me today. Think about if I had reacted with anger and violence to those situations? Even if I had broken down every joint of all my harassers today, so what? I would just be in jail since the cops only see fighting where another sees self defense. Aikido proved its worth today.

P.S. I also agree that "most" Aikido out there right now is physically watered down and ineffective, having revisited and reexamined other places after training with my dojo, but hey, at least even most of those dojos still teach the correct mentality, and that is the most valuable thing you can learn.

Ossu!

My thoughts
Firstly past mid night in such an area?
Most people where I live in rarely go out at night unless its things such as the pub/night club circuit in the middle of the city or for meals etc where they take a taxi.
Very rare anybody walks the streets alone.
If those guys were armed you would have had no chance had you reacted or even not reacted and they chose to attack.
If you are in that kind of area you have no chance so as advised dont be there in other words move out of the area.
Armed gang members lose their lives here so what chance would you have had.

Admitttedly walking away is the second best solution but to give reasons as not wanting to be in trouble with the cops is dreaming. Even if they werent armed(which you wouldnt know about) they could have been carrying battery acid to throw in to your eyes( a common trick in the area I live in) if you had approached the vehicle.

If you were in a situation where you had no chance but to defend yourself then stating aikido is mainly watered down in other words wouldnt work is B.S.

Bogus/bad teachers aside the arts I have chosen to study are I.M.A which from my observations include aikido type movements. These arts hopefully will add to what I already have.

Against that amount of people the odds are realy stacked against you if they werent unarmed and it turned in to a fight.

I can in a way see your point of walking away if it was a no win verbal confrontation brought about by your average type people to annoy you and then bring in the police. I have been in that situation before many times and yes to walk away is the best thing to do and blank them. But what you described isnt that. It is people intent on violance, and late at night.

As wrist said dont be there if you know it exists.I would Move away or restrict the visits to that area to a minimum if there is no chance of moving away and certainly wouldnt be walking the streets late at night.

Another thing if I got caught in that situation you described (through me being stupid for some unknown reason) then I would have been looking for escape. In other words somewhere to run to in case it got nasty where hopefully I couldnt get caught. Not just thinking how good I am having handled the situation correctly by not breaking limbs.

By the way sprint training is trained every 3 days by myself.There is B.S machismo and survival.

Jude

Edited by jude33 (09/05/07 02:59 AM)

#356492 - 09/05/07 03:08 AM Re: My Best Use of Aikido [Re: MattyChi]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

yea goodjob speedy I thought it was a cool post because there are many times when people try to instigate fights and things almost get real bad because I am not good at rising above it, so props to you.
I am fully aware how new I am to this forum, but wrist I think you are a bit attacking for no reason. All you simply needed to say was, "It's good you were able to avoid the conflict but you should be more ready to fight in such situations, goodjob mate"
Find a better hobby than randomly lecturing kids half your age about how much ass you can kick

My thoughts.
The conflict shouldnt have been there to physically avoid in the first place given that scenario.Late at night? gangs? Total avoidance by not being there in the first place might have been the better option.
Wrist is stating reality. If a person is attacked and no other choice remains than to fight then that is what he describes, in other words learn to fight to win.

Jude

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga