FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#356175 - 08/17/07 01:07 PM Re: MA training: How much advantage? [Re: MattJ]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
I apply this any endeavour how much of an advantage would a high school Football player, Race car driver, Basketball player, Hockey player, Ballet dancer and high school swimmer
have over the average joe. If you train in a field you shoiuld have advantage.

Now fighting just live styles has a lot to do with environment, preparation and mindset. For example a guy/person brought up with older brothers or a Father that taught how to scramp is probably gonna fight better then a only child thats never had to fight, most likely.

My point is that there is an advantage of being prepared, there's advantage of being in shape and mentally alerts definitely helps.

#356176 - 08/17/07 02:28 PM Re: MA training: How much advantage? [Re: Neko456]
WhiteDragon11 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida, United States
Neko I totally agree with that post.

#356177 - 08/17/07 02:42 PM Re: MA training: How much advantage? [Re: MattJ]
schanne Offline
breaks things

Loc: Woodbury NJ
Matt, have to lean more toward the tuperware party, got to believe brother! But I think JohnL can kick his own as@*.

#356178 - 08/17/07 06:03 PM Re: MA training: How much advantage? [Re: JKogas]
Alabama_Samurai Offline

How much martial arts training will benefit you is according to how hard you train, how realistically you train, your ability, your fighting spirit or will-power, your state of mind, and your reaction to such situations. Some people just can't take the heat.

As for some people, they can wipe the floor clean of guys a good bit larger than themself. For others, this is NOT the case, regardless of how much training they have under the belt.

For the most part, it depends on the individual. But some training is better than no training at all, unless you just don't have a clue. In that case you could be setting yourself up for trouble when something does go down.

There are too many variables to definitively answer this question. But, I am going to say "Some. You crush some. Some crush you." Because it really depends on the individual and the type of fight.

Some people have no problem wining in a self-defense situation where the attacker is right up on you and all you have to do is put a hurt on him, but when they have to "duke it out" that's a whole 'nother ball game.

So it definitely depends on the individual.

#356179 - 08/18/07 04:23 PM Re: MA training: How much advantage? [Re: medulanet]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

we're talking about a retired NFL player who couldn't cut it anymore and a wide receiver at that who is 35 years old.

While it's true he was no longer the player he was, he was only 1 season removed from being on an NFL roaster, and anyone who plays 12 seasons in the NFL has hit the genetic lottery.

That said he is a great example of trained vrs untrained. I don't know who he fought, but I would put good money that he was not an NFL caliber athlete, and he damn near killed Johnnie.

Quote:

is two months enough to say that he had a solid understanding and ability to execute the basics

No way not even close, I don't care who is training you. That is not enough time to learn and change natural instincts a person has, so the best he could hope for is the basic movements.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga