FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#355732 - 08/12/07 05:34 PM Yagyu Shinkage Ryu in Southern California
SpeedyGonzales Offline

Does anyone know of any dojos?

...preferably ones not in it for the money?

#355733 - 08/31/07 02:16 PM Re: Yagyu Shinkage Ryu in Southern California [Re: SpeedyGonzales]
uchi_deshi Offline

there is none there just in ohio for that style... i studied it from the only person outside japan legal to teach it... go to sei shin kan.com it will help you ... any one else says they teach it is a lier...

#355734 - 08/31/07 06:36 PM Re: Yagyu Shinkage Ryu in Southern California [Re: uchi_deshi]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
Speedy,
There are definitely other Yagyu Shinkgage Ryu schools besides the one in Ohio. My understanding is that there are multiple lines of Yagyu Shinkage Ryu. Meik Skoss leaps to mind http://www.koryu.com/bio.html#mskoss I'm afraid that I do not know of a Yagyu Shinkage Ryu dojo in Southern California. That doesn't mean there isn't one. You might want to try your search again in this forum http://www.e-budo.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16 I know there are some folks from Southern California that hang out there. I'm sure they could point you in the right direction. I suspect most are at the West Coast Taikai right now though.

You might want to checkotut he West Coast Taikai that's going on this weekend near Disneyland. It would be a great chance to checkout a lot of the local budo scene. http://www.westcoasttaikai.com/

BTW, Uchi Dechi, you might be interested to know that there is a thread going at E-budo regarding that dojo. Perhaps you would like to chime in. http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37774&highlight=John+Viol

#355735 - 09/02/07 07:13 AM Re: Yagyu Shinkage Ryu in Southern California [Re: uchi_deshi]
splice Offline

Loc: Ottawa, ON
Quote:

there is none there just in ohio for that style... i studied it from the only person outside japan legal to teach it... go to sei shin kan.com it will help you ... any one else says they teach it is a lier...

Talk to your sensei, he doesn't teach Yagyu Shinkage Ryu, he teaches Yagyu Shingan ryu. These are different arts, you shouldn't confuse them.

#355736 - 09/03/07 09:42 PM Re: Yagyu Shinkage Ryu in Southern California [Re: splice]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Splice, even that doesn't seem to be right. He seems to lay claim to a Menkyo Kaiden, but as of yet the E-budo thread hasn't turned up a reference to exactly which style that was awarded by. His site definitely reads a bit... odd.

#355737 - 09/04/07 05:36 AM Re: Yagyu Shinkage Ryu in Southern California [Re: Charles Mahan]
splice Offline

I understand that the web site is a bit odd, but if you're really bull-headed like I am, you can track the links.

this page states that the dojo is a representative of "YAGYU SHINGAN RYU HYOHO IAI JUTSU". It also shows a scroll reading "Yagyu Shingan Ryu Hyoho Iai Jutsu", painted by Ishihara Masao, "one of Viol Shihan's Instructors".

If you look at the photo captioned "John M. Viol Shihan receives Menkyo Kaiden in Japan - 1991" on this page and then look at the gallery of John Viol's instructors, you can see that the person in the photo for the menkyo kaiden is also in other pictures and identified as Ishihara Masao.

Considering the other pictures and statements lead us to believe he also studied Toyama Ryu under Nakamura Taizaburo, his claims to teaching a sogobujutsu seem to relate to Yagyu Shingan Ryu, at least to me. It may be a confusing web site, but I'm still pretty sure that it does in fact list his styles and teachers, you just have to wade through some weird things to get to them.

Edited by splice (09/04/07 05:54 AM)

#355738 - 09/04/07 03:55 PM Re: Yagyu Shinkage Ryu in Southern California [Re: splice]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Thanks for doing the leg work splice. I couldn't find anything consistent. The website is definitely peculiar. Perhaps it really is just an example of lousy web site content.

#355739 - 09/04/07 08:16 PM Re: Yagyu Shinkage Ryu in Southern California [Re: Charles Mahan]
iaibear Offline
Veteran

Loc: upstate New York
To paraphrase Bones on Star Trek,"I'm a doctor, Jim, not a _____."
The man in question might well be a genuine martial arts but not be a website author or builder.

#355740 - 09/08/07 08:03 PM Re: Yagyu Shinkage Ryu in Southern California [Re: iaibear]
uchi_deshi Offline

it is shinkage ryu... only 3 style of it..being was 3 brothers...
go find him and challage him...i dont mean in a fight i mean in knowlage..you will find out alot...

#355741 - 09/09/07 06:00 AM Re: Yagyu Shinkage Ryu in Southern California [Re: uchi_deshi]
splice Offline

I've had enough, uchi_deshi. The web page is confusing enough I don't need you to throw random statements on top of the pile when you don't seem to know what's going on.

From the web page I found statements about the arts he supposedly learned, and I'm not part of them. The people who are can do what they like with that, or more likely nothing at all and continue their practice as usual. I've got no dog in this race, and you can find your path on your own.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga